BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> 
29 Pages V  « < 25 26 27 28 29 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jade's favourite top 40 hits of each year ● 1997 onwards, 2005: 40-21 posted
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Jade
post Sep 25 2022, 08:32 PM
Post #521
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
QUOTE(coi @ Sep 25 2022, 09:11 PM) *
Yes, great to have this back!

Forgot to comment on the last couple of sections but great that Left Outside Alone, This Is The Last Time, I Miss You and American Idiot are in here, all definitely classics!

heart.gif thank you!

Glad you’ve enjoyed quite a few songs from the last couple of sections happy.gif I’ve just reminded myself of the 5 to come for 2004 and there’s a great mix of genres, gotta love the variety still present in the mid-noughties.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Sep 26 2022, 08:48 AM
Post #522
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
Fab to have this back Jade - and I need a kick up the ass to try and catch up with all the unfinished stuff. It's the writing of text that takes the time - but of course thats the interesting bit! biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Brer
post Sep 26 2022, 01:42 PM
Post #523
Group icon
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
User: 8,300
Oops appears it has been a while since I last actually posted in this thread (I think I did respond to the later sections offsite but will try and return to posting in here whenever this returns, looking forward to it!)

+Quote this post
Jade
post Sep 26 2022, 08:22 PM
Post #524
Group icon
Alone and wounded
QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Sep 26 2022, 09:48 AM) *
Fab to have this back Jade - and I need a kick up the ass to try and catch up with all the unfinished stuff. It's the writing of text that takes the time - but of course thats the interesting bit! biggrin.gif

Thanks John! We got this laugh.gif oh yes I do love a good musical paragraph.

QUOTE(Bumblebrë @ Sep 26 2022, 02:42 PM) *
Oops appears it has been a while since I last actually posted in this thread (I think I did respond to the later sections offsite but will try and return to posting in here whenever this returns, looking forward to it!)

kink.gif no worries, although yay, comments always appreciated ofc *.*

+Quote this post
jimwatts
post Sep 27 2022, 09:30 PM
Post #525
Group icon
Discoverer of Artemas
User: 38,591
Hey Jade!

Well since I'm responsible for asking you about this countdown during the #1 listening sessions, it's only right that I add some thoughts on it now that you've bumped the thread! First of all, what a fantastic read - anything around EOY chart favourites of this era is sure to interest me, but huge praise for the length you've gone to in describing each of the songs and what they mean to you. To have even got this far requires a lot of commitment, and if you continue be sure it's because you're still enjoying it. I'll certainly keep track now that I've realised this section of the site exists!

From a quick cycle back through your years so far, lots of my faves pop up as well - I guess if I did mine now (and I'm hoping to start something like this myself next year), these from your top 10s are a few which would feature high up for me too:

1997: 06. White Town - Your Woman; 10. Robbie Williams - Angels
1998: 03. Stardust - Music Sounds Better With You; 06. Cornershop - Brimful of Asha (Norman Cook Remix)
1999: 04. Shanks & Bigfoot - Sweet Like Chocolate; 10. Britney Spears - ...Baby One More Time
2000: 05. Eminem - Stan (feat. Dido); 08. Moby - Porcelain; 09. Coldplay - Yellow; and most of those dance songs not far behind
2001: 01. Roger Sanchez - Another Chance; 03. OutKast - Ms. Jackson; 09. Rui Da Silva - Touch Me (feat. Cassandra)
2002: 04. Puretone - Addicted To Bass; shout out also to: 18. Oasis - The Hindu Times; 19. Lasgo - Something
2003: 01. OutKast - Hey Ya!; 02. Junior Senior - Move Your Feet [what a great era for #3s, and it continued into 2004!]; 08. Tomcraft - Loneliness [I hadn't heard this for ages until it came up in the #1 sessions, but have played it loads since]
2004: [as revealed so far] 06. Green Day - American Idiot

As for your top 5 of 2004, I think I know what at least 2 and probably 3 of them will be, and could maybe have a guess at the other 2, look forward to seeing how many I get right!

+Quote this post
Jade
post Sep 28 2022, 07:11 PM
Post #526
Group icon
Alone and wounded
QUOTE(jimwatts @ Sep 27 2022, 10:30 PM) *
Hey Jade!

Well since I'm responsible for asking you about this countdown during the #1 listening sessions, it's only right that I add some thoughts on it now that you've bumped the thread! First of all, what a fantastic read - anything around EOY chart favourites of this era is sure to interest me, but huge praise for the length you've gone to in describing each of the songs and what they mean to you. To have even got this far requires a lot of commitment, and if you continue be sure it's because you're still enjoying it. I'll certainly keep track now that I've realised this section of the site exists!

From a quick cycle back through your years so far, lots of my faves pop up as well - I guess if I did mine now (and I'm hoping to start something like this myself next year), these from your top 10s are a few which would feature high up for me too:

1997: 06. White Town - Your Woman; 10. Robbie Williams - Angels
1998: 03. Stardust - Music Sounds Better With You; 06. Cornershop - Brimful of Asha (Norman Cook Remix)
1999: 04. Shanks & Bigfoot - Sweet Like Chocolate; 10. Britney Spears - ...Baby One More Time
2000: 05. Eminem - Stan (feat. Dido); 08. Moby - Porcelain; 09. Coldplay - Yellow; and most of those dance songs not far behind
2001: 01. Roger Sanchez - Another Chance; 03. OutKast - Ms. Jackson; 09. Rui Da Silva - Touch Me (feat. Cassandra)
2002: 04. Puretone - Addicted To Bass; shout out also to: 18. Oasis - The Hindu Times; 19. Lasgo - Something
2003: 01. OutKast - Hey Ya!; 02. Junior Senior - Move Your Feet [what a great era for #3s, and it continued into 2004!]; 08. Tomcraft - Loneliness [I hadn't heard this for ages until it came up in the #1 sessions, but have played it loads since]
2004: [as revealed so far] 06. Green Day - American Idiot

As for your top 5 of 2004, I think I know what at least 2 and probably 3 of them will be, and could maybe have a guess at the other 2, look forward to seeing how many I get right!

Hey Jim!

Great to see you in here - thank you so much for the complimentary words heart.gif I look forward to your own thread idea and will be sure to follow it! I'm definitely feeling the enthusiasm again now after experiencing a general burnout slump for a while and will set aside some time to finish this year off one night, in the not too distant future.

Happy that 'Another Chance' is one of your choices of favourites so far, of course *.* the #1 sessions have really revived my love for a bunch of different songs as well ('The Legend of Xanadu' especially stands out, although from several decades earlier than this countdown of course kink.gif) - gotta love 'Loneliness'!

+Quote this post
Jade
post Oct 1 2022, 04:36 PM
Post #527
Group icon
Alone and wounded

05. Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
(chart-run: 3-7-13-13-26-34-36-42-62)

04. Avril Lavigne - My Happy Ending
(chart-run: 5-8-9-16-28-31-41-48-66)

03. Green Day - Boulevard of Broken Dreams
(chart-run: 5-7-8-7-6-9-13-11-14-21-18-20-34-42-46-55-58-58-59-67-66)

02. Shapeshifters - Lola’s Theme
(chart-run: 1-2-3-3-7-7-14-24-21-28-33-40-53-63-66)

01. Britney Spears - Toxic
(chart-run: 1-2-4-6-7-11-20-27-18-24-34-50-63-72)

I didn't think I'd be continuing this quite as soon as this week but I've experienced a huge burst of motivation and a clear head today. So here we go, I have stuck to my word and am finally concluding my favourite top 40 hits of 2004, almost exactly a year and a half after revealing the 6-10 section. Deep apologies once more that this has been such a long gap. I remember taking a break once before during this countdown, so I didn't think I'd abandoned it entirely, but even so it wasn't quite this lengthy a wait previously. I'll try and not let it happen again.

So, onwards and upwards! Kicking off the top 5 are Scottish indie-rockers Franz Ferdinand. A couple of years ago we created a Scottish themed Artist Forum as part of a Teams task (The Lounge is a weird and wonderful place on this site, what can I say) and frankly, I don't think we shone enough of a spotlight on these guys. But now I shall share my love for this absolute anthem. The excellent 'Take Me Out' was released as the second single from the band's eponymous debut album. I was surprised to learn this as it seems like such an obvious lead single. But no, it was 'Darts of Pleasure' that preceded it and charted at a modest #44. The band were pretty thrilled with that result though and expressed gratitude to be in the U.K. Top 50 at all. However, this was merely a warm up and their second attempt would properly break them into the mainstream. 'Take Me Out' charted at an incredible #3 in the U.K. and even made it to #66 on the Billboard Hot 100. One blessing of not writing about this song until now (sorry, once again!) is that I can point anyone who is interested towards a YouTube upload from 6 months ago titled: 'Franz Ferdinand, "Take Me Out" & The New Rock Revolution | New British Canon' by music documentary YouTuber Trash Theory, who is seriously excellent at creating these informative and interesting videos about music phenomena. I didn't realise that this song was labelled as 'Indie Disco' until that video. 'Take Me Out' has a really interesting structure as it seems to throw all its verses at the wall within the first minute of the song and then morphs into a continuous chorus. That transition is honestly magical, from the defiant "I know I won't be leaving here without you..." to a simply iconic riff. Goosebumps! It's easy to equate this song title and the band name with taking someone out in death (hello certain assassinated historical figure x) - and this theme definitely continues to lend itself to metaphors within the lyrics. But underneath all of that, this song is actually based on romance. The guy in question likes a girl but they are both very hesitant to make anything actually happen. So this song is a bit of a nudge for her to make the first move. After all, the paranoia is seeping through his end with lyrics like "if I move this could die". Maybe one reason I connect so much with this song is my general anxiety to make the first move with anything. But also the execution of the production and general song structure is genius. It has definitely stood the test of time well so far with over 600 million Spotify streams. The band were influenced by electronic legend Giorgio Moroder during the first section of the song, then blues musician Howlin' Wolf for the general call and response structure of both the melody and riff. Also rock bands such as Queen moulded elements of it like the sound of the cymbal being caught as soon as it was hit. The Jonas Odell directed video is a memorable one for sure as it is a quirky depiction of vintage figures and machinery through a Dadaist animation style lense - that was an avant-garde movement from the early 20th century. It's a visual feast that definitely lends itself to repeat viewings just to seek out all the detail. I know I won't be leaving here without this riff stuck in my head for the rest of the day!

Next we have the first of two #5 peaking hits in a row. 'My Happy Ending' was released as the second single from Avril's sophomore record Under My Skin. Its U.K. chart peak matched that of the lead single 'Don't Tell Me' so not quite a Franz Ferdinand situation here. Its top 10 status extends to the Billboard Hot 100 too as it peaked at #9 there. The 'Let Go' era opened me up to the world of Avril as a child but I was equally as obsessed with her follow-up album in time and 'My Happy Ending' ranks as my overall favourite Avril song. It was definitely one of my go-to angsty SingStar picks. Avril was now 19-years-old by the time of her second album and her style was continuing to develop and mature. 'My Happy Ending' is about a relationship you once had high hopes for, thinking you'd end up with a happy ending like in fairytales, but ultimately it comes to an end. Avril goes from thinking "you were everything, everything that I wanted" to "all the things you hide from me... all the sh*t that you do" so evidently this once blossoming romance had really soured. This is another song with an interesting structure as it opens and closes with the hook, which typically you have to wait a bit longer for with the first chorus. It really rams home the subject of the song. Avril channels her angst well in 'My Happy Ending' and truly lets rip during the middle 8 where her voice hits a really emotive place when sarcastically exclaiming: "thanks for watching as I fall and letting me know we were done!". This tale of frustration is backed by appropriately grungy guitars and some subtle piano too, which nicely contrasts the before-and-after statuses of the relationship. The music video is pretty literal as we watch the couple evolve from happy-go-lucky times to tears, with Avril watching her love montage at a cinema. That cinematic portrayal works well with the whole fairytale ending theme. The visual conclusion can be interpreted as happy or sad depending on which way you look at it. On one hand, her relationship broke down, but also it's good that she got out of a partnership that was clearly doing her no good. I have thoroughly enjoyed revisiting this Avril smash today as I haven't heard it in a good while. Aside from being my favourite song by her, other accolades include Avril performing it during the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2010 Winter Olympics and er, receiving a Radio Disney Music Award for 'Best Song to Air Guitar' to! I need to test that theory out pronto.

At #3 we instead reach a song that I've listened to very recently. A group of us on BuzzJack have been hanging out on the online platform SyncTube almost every Sunday for months, to make it through a huge marathon of every U.K. #1 single. We soon incorporated bonus picks, where a few #2 singles and other hits during the period of the week would be played at the end. 'Boulevard of Broken Dreams' was one of these choices in question. I have to say that I'm thrilled to be writing about Green Day today, as of course they have the song titled 'Wake Me Up When September Ends' and indeed October has now begun on this very fine day. But, enough about that song, today I shine the spotlight on the second single from their incredible 'American Idiot' album, after already chatting about the lead elsewhere in the top 10. I will forgive you if you have forgotten that detail as I have of course picked this back up after a year and a half, after all! This charted slightly lower than 'American Idiot' here but became their highest peaking single in the U.S. after reaching #2 there, blocked by 50 Cent's 'Candy Shop'. I know we recently had a U.K. #4s rate in the chat forum on here, so consider me already perched for #5s with the reminder of both this and 'My Happy Ending' today. Like the aforementioned Avril song, plus 'Take Me Out' for that matter, we continue down a very guitar-heavy path today so far. 'Boulevard of Broken Dreams' opens with a striking electric guitar, featuring tremelo effect. This is a staple that continues throughout the song on top of the acoustic guitar. It was apparently difficult to produce as the tempos had to remain in sync but they certainly did a heck of a job. On top of the powerful production, Billie Joe Armstrong carries this song incredibly with a strong vocal performance. He is emotive and defiant in his "I walk alone, I walk alone" sentiments. The song was inspired by true feelings of loneliness he experienced while solo travelling to New York. He weaved this theme into the concept album 'American Idiot' by channelling these feelings into the central character Jesus of Suburbia. It has been explained in MTV's 'Green Day Makes a Video' that this song is the "hangover" to follow on from the high of previous track 'Holiday'. Now, the mood is sombre and bleak. This theme is carried over to the visuals as you can hear 'Holiday' during the first few seconds of the 'Boulevard of Broken Dreams' video. Then, the band's car breaks down in the desert and they begin a long walk, to compliment the song. I am instantly reminded of Billie's amazing guyliner efforts and jet-black hair. This is basically my own style but imagine much longer hair. Anyway, the scenes of the walking are also spliced with more distressing images, such as homeless people, for further emotional impact. The video picked up the MTV VMAs 'Video of the Year' accolade. The song also made a lot of noise and won the Grammy Award for Record of the Year! Not everyone was too happy about the single though, Noel Gallagher criticised the band in 2006 and called it a 'Wonderwall' rip-off. It wouldn't be the first time after the admittedly very similar 'Life Gold Cold' by Girls Aloud also faced his wrath. He didn't get a writing credit on this one, though. Green Day's walk ends here for 2004 but they'll continue to soundtrack the rest of my life, I'm sure.

Now we pivot away from the rock and towards dance music for a supremely uplifting runner-up for 2004! It may not quite have won out here but did get to the top of the U.K. chart. The Shapeshifters well and truly struck gold with their debut release. Their fairly short chart history would satisfyingly include both a #1 and #40 peak. The name of 'Lola's Theme' was inspired by the wife of Shapeshifters producer Simon Marlin. This Lola was listening to her record collection and he felt compelled. In a somewhat full circle moment I own 'Lola's Theme' in my own record collection now after acquiring quite a few Positiva Records titles over the past couple of years. The song features a sample of the 'What About My Love' intro by Johnnie Taylor. This was the basis for a mostly-instrumental early version of 'Lola's Theme', with a vocal sample of 'Love Me Tonight' by Anthony White also added. The popularity of this iteration resulted in the aforementioned Positiva Records licensing it from Nocturnal Groove. After production recreations were completed, Shapeshifters then went about finding a female vocalist for the song, in the version that we know and love today. It was gospel singer Cookie (from the London Community Gospel Choir) who would take on this role and evolve it into the song of the summer. She, the Shapeshifters and remixer Norman Jay all appear in the nostalgic funfair-themed music video for the song too, with spinning rides complimenting the "turn my world around" lyric nicely. There definitely seems to be even more fun at the fair as a couple embrace in a passionate kiss towards the end. The song is written from the perspective of someone who has felt disillusioned and lonely for most of their life, but then someone comes into their world and offers a more positive perspective, that changes them for the better. Lyrics such as "you have twisted all of my troubles inside" and "you rebuilt my heart up from the ground" perfectly express this. The feel-good words, gospel-inspired vocal take and scorching house production resulted in the perfect July release. It has continued to soundtrack most of my summers since as it is typically the song I want to hear the most as soon as we get the smallest bit of sun in the country! 'Lola's Theme' would end up receiving a BRIT Award 'Best British Single' nomination but ultimately lost out to 'Your Game' by Will Young, which I also mentioned in the paragraph about 'In The Middle' by Sugababes, also on that line-up. So, Will may have beat them there, but which other solo superstar have they lost out to this time? It is the one and only...

...legendary Ms Britney Spears! In true stereotypical BuzzJack fashion I am concluding this year with pop royalty. 'Toxic' is a song that instantly grabbed me as a kid and I still love it just as much now. I recall being about 6 years old during its release and listening to it round a friend's house as it confidently opened her copy of Now 57. I also remember joining a dance club at school, very briefly, around this time and having to do a routine to it. The dramatic choreography during the pleading middle 8 has still stuck with me all of these years later! 'Toxic' was written and produced by Bloodshy & Avant, with additional contribution by Cathy Dennis and Henrik Jonback. This smash was initially offered to Kylie Minogue, as part of her 'Body Language' era, but shockingly it was turned down! Instead, it was all Britney's now. But there was clearly still not enough faith in it as it was merely the second single of the In The Zone campaign (after 'Me Against The Music') and this was only reluctantly, as the far inferior 'Outrageous' and '(I Got That) Boom Boom' were also being pencilled in as possibilities. Thank goodness this properly got its time to shine and became Britney's fourth U.K. #1 single at this point. It was underrated in the States though where it only managed #9. It was a real turning point for critics though and is favourably looked back on in the world of pop. The record is about a lover who is a dangerous and addictive drug, therefore pretty toxic. Such a song simply had to have exhilarating production to match and this is what it got. It is classed as a dance-pop and techno-pop song, but also with elements of bhangra, thanks to the high-pitched Bollywood strings sampled from an 80s song called 'Tere Mere Beech Mein'. I just adore the synths, Bollywood flavour and also the standout surf guitar. I can see why Kylie was first considered as she has quite a sensual, playful voice but Britney pulls off the same vibe effortlessly here. The accompanying music video is one of the most memorable visuals of her career too and she was heavily involved with the ideas in it. Music video director Joseph Kahn brought her visions to life: from taking on a stewardess role, to the scene of her naked with only diamonds covering her modesty. That latter scene proved controversial in the States off the back of the Janet Jackson Super Bowl wardrobe malfunction incident (sigh x) and was moved to late-night programming. I love the high octane visuals and the looks chosen for them, I think stewardess Britney in particular is a very well-remembered version of her - so-much-so that a Funko Pop of it exists - I own both that, plus one of Billie Joe Armstrong, from this top 5! 'Toxic' is my favourite Britney song hands down and is definitely in the top-tier of 2000s pop for me. It's very addictive just like the lover in the subject matter. It's dangerous, I'm loving it, you could say. I am here for its recent ascension to modern Halloween staple, in every spooky playlist going on Spotify, any excuse to play it.

We finally made it, folks. wub.gif 2005 coming soon!

+Quote this post
Jade
post Oct 1 2022, 04:37 PM
Post #528
Group icon
Alone and wounded
recap ~ full 2004 top 40:

01. Britney Spears - Toxic
03. Green Day - Boulevard of Broken Dreams
04. Avril Lavigne - My Happy Ending
06. Green Day - American Idiot
07. Britney Spears - Everytime
08. Blink-182 - I Miss You
09. Keane - This Is The Last Time
10. Christina Milian - Dip It Low

11. Michael Gray - The Weekend
12. Anastacia - Left Outside Alone
13. Sugababes - In The Middle
14. OutKast - Roses
15. Girls Aloud - The Show
16. Kylie Minogue - I Believe In You
17. Stonebridge - Put 'Em High (feat. Therese)
18. Scissor Sisters - Mary
19. Motorcycle - As The Rush Comes
20. Kelis - Trick Me

21. The Rasmus - In The Shadows
22. Keane - Somewhere Only We Know
23. Gwen Stefani - What You Waiting For?
24. Kylie Minogue - Chocolate
25. The Pirates - You Should Really Know (feat. Enya, Shola Ama, Naila Boss & Ishani)
26. Deep Dish - Flashdance
27. The Killers - Mr Brightside
28. Kelis - Milkshake
29. Kylie Minogue - Red Blooded Woman
30. Eric Prydz - Call On Me

31. Rachel Stevens - Some Girls
32. Uniting Nations - Out Of Touch
33. Armand Van Helden - My My My
34. McFly - 5 Colours In Her Hair
35. Destiny's Child - Lose My Breath
36. Basement Jaxx - Good Luck (feat. Lisa Kekaula)
37. Sugababes - Caught In A Moment
38. Gladiator - Now We Are Free (feat. Izzy)
39. Girls Aloud - Love Machine
40. Keane - Everybody's Changing

playlist so far (1997 - 2004):

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Oct 1 2022, 05:04 PM
Post #529
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Yay! yahoo.gif

Take Me Out is still brilliance, a huge number one of 2004 for me, and so fab that Sparks did an entire album with them as FFS years later. Not to underplay the rest of their repertoire but this single stands out, and is utterly fab to dance along to singing loudly in a club. Been there done that.

Avril isn't one I recall TBH so I resorted to my data spreadsheet and err I didn't chart it. Prob why I don't remember it, but then I wasn't really the target audience!

Green Day, for a punk band, do ballads brilliantly. Like this one. One of my early idols, Glen Campbell, had a creative 2000's album revival a few years before alzheimers took him away and his version of Good Riddance is just amazing. I wish he could have done this one too as a cover.

Lola's Theme also was a big chart-topper for me, such a wonderful upbeat dance track and again one I would happily dance to at the time, to the best of my limited ability.

But the track that really gets me going in a club, and it was played regularly for years afterwards in Gran canaria clubs, was Toxic. I absolutely worship that track, just genius and record of 2004 for me no question, so what a fab choice! Cathy Denis influence is very obvious on this, and Kylie was mad to turn it down, and I can agree "exhilarating" is what this stunning production is to me, a couple of beers or bacardis with this on loud and I'm away, easily my top dance tune of the decade, and a candidate for best record of the 2000's. I agree with every word you say about it, and I love every second of the perfect unusual structure and production and vocal, and it is exactly the right length - leaving you wanting more and never outstaying it's welcome. I have played it more than once in a row, not something I habitually do this century, only the most-obsessively-loved tracks get that honour!

Well worth the wait Jade! wub.gif

+Quote this post
Brer
post Oct 1 2022, 07:00 PM
Post #530
Group icon
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
User: 8,300
Ooh hooray at this actually returning this soon *.* I remain in awe at your ability to write so much about each and every one of these songs.

A strong top 5 to finish this list, I'm not a big Britney fan but 'Toxic' is an undeniable classic, easily her best song for me and think it would be very high up my own list of favourite 2004 hits too so that's an excellent choice of #1 heart.gif 'Lola's Theme', 'Boulevard Of Broken Dreams' and 'Take Me Out' are all staples of their respective genres for me too (quite a sonically diverse top 5 here x), 'My Happy Ending' is the odd one out for being one I merely like rather than love - I prefer 'Nobody's Home' from her 2004 hits although neither of them are quite as good as the 3 big hits from her debut imo. (And I don't really remember how 'Don't Tell Me' goes oops kink.gif)

I somehow didn't realise that the lyrics of 'Take Me Out' were a metaphor about a sniper duel until watching that Trash Theory video (showing up my lack of attentiveness to lyrics as per usual, I always thought some of the lyrics were a little weird but they make sense now laugh.gif), a very clever song and of course an iconic riff!

Also did not realise that Green Day were lumbered with a #2 peak in the US as well as in the UK - their US #2 hit being quite a bit better and more memorable than 'The Saints Are Coming' which got them to #2 here kink.gif

And I really can't imagine the alternate timeline where 'Toxic' ended up being a Kylie song...! That's mad that such an iconic song was passed by another artist and then not even pushed as the first single by Britney, hindsight is 50/50 I guess!

Looking forward to 2005 and I shall aim to continue commenting more consistently ~

+Quote this post
jimwatts
post Oct 1 2022, 07:00 PM
Post #531
Group icon
Discoverer of Artemas
User: 38,591
My prediction for your top 5 was:
1. Toxic
2. Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
3. Avril Lavigne - Nobody's Home
4. Lola's Theme
5. Take Me Out

so I got 4/5 of them correct, the right artist for the other, and two of them in the right order! I remembered you saying a few pages back (seems it was p21) that your favourite Avril song was this year, so there were 3 to choose from, then I was fairly sure on the #1s and BOBD, and took a guess on Take Me Out (yay, another classic #3 too!) Boulevard Of Broken Dreams is of course a favourite of mine, and it's one of those songs which for me draws a link from the politicised tirades of American Idiot and Holiday to the disenfranchised protagonists of their earlier likes of Basket Case - because those characters were shaped by the world and country in which they lived. There was more to come from them in terms of singles in 2005, so I look forward to seeing how they fare here, but well done for completing 2004!

+Quote this post
coi
post Oct 1 2022, 07:26 PM
Post #532
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 73,240
Boulevard of Broken Dreams is by far my favourite of that top 5, what a song! wub.gif Love how moody and epic it is. I think I'd go as far as to call it my favourite Green Day song actually, although Wake Me Up When September Ends is a close contender (and yes I also played that earlier to mark the day of the year when Billie Joe Armstrong can wake up again!), hopefully we see that in the 2005 list. Take Me Out is another great one in there, and My Happy Ending is decent too.

QUOTE(WaspBrë @ Oct 1 2022, 08:00 PM) *
Ooh hooray at this actually returning this soon *.* I remain in awe at your ability to write so much about each and every one of these songs.

Omg this! I think I'd struggle to write any more than like two sentences laugh.gif

Glad that this is back, excited to see what your 2005 list has in store as I think that was the start of a really good period for music in the charts!

+Quote this post
danG
post Oct 1 2022, 08:41 PM
Post #533
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
Great to see this back! I can much agree with four of those being amongst the very best of 2004. Toxic is rightfully considered an all time pop classic at this point, one of the very best pop tracks of the 00s, so a deserving winner here. Great to see Lola's Theme so high here too, that has likewise aged very well. Boulevard and Take Me Out are all time classics of the rock and indie genres too.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Oct 1 2022, 10:03 PM
Post #534
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
Great to see you carrying on with this and continue with these wonderful essays *. Only seventeen years to go cheeseblock.png

Excellent top 5, all big favourites of mine. Toxic was certainly Britney's crowning moment, Lola's Theme is one of the most feelgood dance tracks from the 2000s, Take Me Out is a classic and one of the precursors of the British revival turned landfill indie movement so I can't not stan it x (I've started watching Trash Theory recently too! I don't know where to start given how many they have, but it's right up my street)

Boulevard... did suffer a bit from overplay (or my brother playing it on repeat x), but I'm liking it a lot more now, it's a massive anthem and hearing it in the context of the album did make me appreciate it a lot more. My Happy Ending is one of my favourites from Avril, I agree it's one of her most mature songs (odd to say that when a lot of her more immature moments came when she was a lot older :'))

I can't remember if I commented on it but great to see This is the Last Time in the top 10, one of my favourites from Keane <3

2005 was one of my favourite years for music and one of the first I was following hit music quite closely (before following super closely the next year), excited to see what your faves are x

+Quote this post
Riser
post Oct 2 2022, 01:38 AM
Post #535
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534
Wow, honestly I didn't realize this had stalled for over a year! As I was catching up I saw previous posts from April and September without noticing they were actually from April and September 2021. laugh.gif Well done for getting back into it and finishing it!

01. Britney Spears - Toxic A hands-down classic, there's no debating this one!
03. Green Day - Boulevard of Broken Dreams I was unaware of Noel Gallagher calling this a Wonderwall ripoff. ohmy.gif Actually, there was a mashup of this song and Wonderwall that got a significant amount of airplay over here, and I remember liking it! That was actually my first exposure to Wonderwall, being just too young for chart music to hear it when it originally came out. Anyway, what a deservedly big classic of Green Day's this is. heart.gif
04. Avril Lavigne - My Happy Ending Okay I HAVE to shout out this one to balance the lack of love it is getting in this thread! I will forever rate Avril's second era higher than her first, she got me perfectly in the feels with every single and plenty of the album tracks as well. wub.gif (That said, while this is absolutely amazing, I do love 'Don't Tell Me' and 'Nobody's Home' even more kink.gif)
06. Green Day - American Idiot
07. Britney Spears - Everytime
08. Blink-182 - I Miss You
10. Christina Milian - Dip It Low
12. Anastacia - Left Outside Alone This was actually the first song I ever heard from Anastacia, because for whatever reason she never charted in America despite being American. thinking.gif This one did get some minimal exposure here though, and I really liked it but was oblivious to just how big of a global hit it was until several years later. That was quite the revelation as you might imagine. laugh.gif I love the Amy Lee comparison that you made and wouldn't be surprised if that had a lot to do with how well this song connected with the public!
14. OutKast - Roses An incredible single from an incredible group. wub.gif
18. Scissor Sisters - Mary Much like Anastacia, Scissor Sisters never had a charting song in their home country, how unfair! I do happen to know this one though and indeed it's a beauty. And yes it was a surprise to hear such a great ballad from them, when the only other song I knew of theirs was 'I Don't Feel Like Dancin' (yes, out of chronological order I know), but it just goes to show how much talent this band has, and especially Jake as a vocalist!
19. Motorcycle - As The Rush Comes
21. The Rasmus - In The Shadows
22. Keane - Somewhere Only We Know
23. Gwen Stefani - What You Waiting For?
27. The Killers - Mr Brightside This song title looks vaguely familiar, I must recognize it from somewhere thinking.gif kink.gif Joking aside, while I might never play this song by choice again due to its overexposure, it still was a massive fave at the time and certainly deserves its classic status.
28. Kelis - Milkshake
30. Eric Prydz - Call On Me
35. Destiny's Child - Lose My Breath
39. Girls Aloud - Love Machine
40. Keane - Everybody's Changing

Yay, another great year! I'll be sure to comment again on 2005 no matter how long it takes to get there tongue.gif

+Quote this post
Roba.
post Oct 2 2022, 09:30 PM
Post #536
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804
Hey Jade, nice to see this running again. 'Toxic' of course a undeniable banger even though I prefer 'Everytime' of the two personally but there's no faulting that iconic video *.*

'Lola's Theme' a banger and 'Boulevard of Broken Dreams' a classic by Greenday too. I'm a fan of 'Take Me Out' as well and 'My Happy Ending' is decent but not a major fave of hers for me.

This post has been edited by PolterRobageist: Oct 2 2022, 09:31 PM

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post Oct 3 2022, 05:22 PM
Post #537
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961
Like I did before, I'll offer my own favourite twenty top 40 hits from the year. I complied this list after you posted your 10-6 in April 2021 and have kept it all this time so the moment has now arrived. Six of these are in your list as well.

1. Keane - Bedshaped
2. Muse - Sing For Absolution
3. Snow Patrol - Run
4. Muse - Butterflies and Hurricanes
5. Keane - Somewhere Only We Know
6. Faithless - I Want More
7. Deep Dish - Flashdance
8. Keane - Everybody's Changing
9. Marillion - You're Gone
10. The Streets - Dry Your Eyes
11. The Beautiful South - Livin' Thing
12. Faithless - Mass Destruction
13. Marillion - Don't Hurt Yourself
14. Natasha Bedingfield - These Words
15. Keane - This Is The Last Time
16. Shapeshifters - Lola's Theme
17. Elbow - Not A Job
18. Eric Prydz - Call On Me
19. Pet Shop Boys - Flamboyant
20. Kaiser Chiefs - I Predict A Riot

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Oct 4 2022, 03:55 PM
Post #538
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(King Rollo @ Oct 3 2022, 06:22 PM) *
Like I did before, I'll offer my own favourite twenty top 40 hits from the year. I complied this list after you posted your 10-6 in April 2021 and have kept it all this time so the moment has now arrived. Six of these are in your list as well.

1. Keane - Bedshaped
3. Snow Patrol - Run
17. Elbow - Not A Job

Livin Thing was nice and of course Flamboyant was quite big with me (though not a chart-topper ohmy.gif laugh.gif ) I reviewed that keane album t'other year.

Mine (Quite a lot in common with some of Jade's) smile.gif :

1 WHAT YOU WAITING FOR? Gwen Stefani 1414200
2 TOXIC Britney Spears 1367750
3 COMFORTABLY NUMB Scissor Sisters 1172550
4 POWERLESS (SAY WHAT YOU WANT) Nelly Furtado 1156300
5 FRIDAY'S CHILD Will Young 1078750
6 IF I THOUGHT YOU'D EVER CHANGE YOUR MIND Agnetha Faltskog 1013350
7 SICK AND TIRED Anastacia 1012200
8 REPTILIA The Strokes 980600
9 GOOD LUCK Basement Jaxx/ Lisa Kekaula 974400
10 LOLA'S THEME Shapeshifters 953400
11 SATELLITE OF LOVE (REMIX) Lou Reed 903650
12 DON'T LEAVE HOME Dido 900800
13 RADIO Robbie Williams 848700
14 EVERYTIME Britney Spears 786950
15 DIP IT LOW Christina Milian 777000
16 GRAVITY Embrace 776100
17 LAURA Scissor Sisters 762050
18 LET ME KISS YOU Morrissey 737150
19 TAKE ME OUT Franz Ferdinand 723650
20 LEFT OUTSIDE ALONE Anastacia 713200
21 FIRST OF THE GANG TO DIE Morrissey 645650
22 STRAIGHT AHEAD Tube & Berger/ Chrissie Hynde 642200
23 CHOCOLATE Kylie Minogue 611850
24 LEAVE (GET OUT) Jojo 604900
25 BOULEVARD OF BROKEN DREAMS Green Day 595350

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Oct 5 2022, 01:53 PM
Post #539
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915
A terrific Top 5 there, Jade. 'Toxic' was although I could be wrong one of Britney's most defining songs. 'Lola's Theme' is great, 'Boulevard of Broken Dreams' is my favourite Green Day song, would never tire of listening to that song, I can remember a couple of people at my primary school singing this at 'Pupil Idol' although they had to stop when it got that swear word in it. 'My Happy Ending' is absolutely amazing from Avril, that song along with the music video. 'Take Me Out' this came 10th in my Top 100 of the 2000s and that key change is incredible, my favourite song from 2004.

+Quote this post
Jade
post Oct 8 2022, 04:40 PM
Post #540
Group icon
Alone and wounded
OMG the volume of comments ohmy.gif bless you guys heart.gif I've been working on putting together my 2005 list today and it's looking fab *.* there's a right mix of genres but I can definitely see the more indie/rock side of my taste creeping in a little more now. I'll aim to kick it off in the not too distant future, BuzzJack-wise I'm also hosting Club Bizarre over in the Dance forum, so just trying to balance everything on top of real life activities.

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Oct 1 2022, 06:04 PM) *
Yay! yahoo.gif

Take Me Out is still brilliance, a huge number one of 2004 for me, and so fab that Sparks did an entire album with them as FFS years later. Not to underplay the rest of their repertoire but this single stands out, and is utterly fab to dance along to singing loudly in a club. Been there done that.

Avril isn't one I recall TBH so I resorted to my data spreadsheet and err I didn't chart it. Prob why I don't remember it, but then I wasn't really the target audience!

Green Day, for a punk band, do ballads brilliantly. Like this one. One of my early idols, Glen Campbell, had a creative 2000's album revival a few years before alzheimers took him away and his version of Good Riddance is just amazing. I wish he could have done this one too as a cover.

Lola's Theme also was a big chart-topper for me, such a wonderful upbeat dance track and again one I would happily dance to at the time, to the best of my limited ability.

But the track that really gets me going in a club, and it was played regularly for years afterwards in Gran canaria clubs, was Toxic. I absolutely worship that track, just genius and record of 2004 for me no question, so what a fab choice! Cathy Denis influence is very obvious on this, and Kylie was mad to turn it down, and I can agree "exhilarating" is what this stunning production is to me, a couple of beers or bacardis with this on loud and I'm away, easily my top dance tune of the decade, and a candidate for best record of the 2000's. I agree with every word you say about it, and I love every second of the perfect unusual structure and production and vocal, and it is exactly the right length - leaving you wanting more and never outstaying it's welcome. I have played it more than once in a row, not something I habitually do this century, only the most-obsessively-loved tracks get that honour!

Well worth the wait Jade! wub.gif

I'm pleased that your thoughts about this section are so positive! wub.gif well, Avril aside, which is more indifferent kink.gif I need to expand my horizons further with Franz Ferdinand as I really like what I know. 'Take Me Out' may be an obvious favourite of theirs but it's so well-loved for a reason!

Couldn't agree more re. Green Day's ballads and this certainly won't be the last we hear of them in the countdown. I've never danced to 'Lola's Theme' before but I can imagine that being a pretty unifying few minutes *.* oh yes I can't believe Kylie turned 'Toxic' down! I don't think it would sound out-of-place in her catalogue at all. But there we go, instead Britney gave us this stone cold pop classic. <3

QUOTE(WaspBrë @ Oct 1 2022, 08:00 PM) *

A strong top 5 to finish this list, I'm not a big Britney fan but 'Toxic' is an undeniable classic, easily her best song for me and think it would be very high up my own list of favourite 2004 hits too so that's an excellent choice of #1 heart.gif 'Lola's Theme', 'Boulevard Of Broken Dreams' and 'Take Me Out' are all staples of their respective genres for me too (quite a sonically diverse top 5 here x), 'My Happy Ending' is the odd one out for being one I merely like rather than love - I prefer 'Nobody's Home' from her 2004 hits although neither of them are quite as good as the 3 big hits from her debut imo. (And I don't really remember how 'Don't Tell Me' goes oops kink.gif)

I somehow didn't realise that the lyrics of 'Take Me Out' were a metaphor about a sniper duel until watching that Trash Theory video (showing up my lack of attentiveness to lyrics as per usual, I always thought some of the lyrics were a little weird but they make sense now laugh.gif), a very clever song and of course an iconic riff!

Also did not realise that Green Day were lumbered with a #2 peak in the US as well as in the UK - their US #2 hit being quite a bit better and more memorable than 'The Saints Are Coming' which got them to #2 here kink.gif

And I really can't imagine the alternate timeline where 'Toxic' ended up being a Kylie song...! That's mad that such an iconic song was passed by another artist and then not even pushed as the first single by Britney, hindsight is 50/50 I guess!

Looking forward to 2005 and I shall aim to continue commenting more consistently ~

Yay I'm so glad that I found the motivation to pick up where I left off even if longer a wait than expected <3 aww haha, I may have not written an academic essay for a good four years now but I'll happily channel that energy into music instead *.* I've missed having a creative outlet like this so will truly aim to be in it for the long haul.

Oh yes, I know you aren't the biggest Britney fan (and don't like 'Everytime' elsewhere in my top 10 kink.gif) but I'm glad our feelings about 'Toxic' are mutual *.* it's really surprising that it wasn't the lead single from the campaign and almost wasn't even the second single drama.gif but thankfully her team saw sense in the end. Oh yes, I was quite pleased about the genre diversity towards the top, I'd say the top 10 for 2005 is looking like a pleasing mix too. Poor brave 'Under My Skin' era kink.gif I think that's my favourite Avril body of work, although can see why the debut singles are particularly loved.

Trash Theory videos have been a revelation ever since I stumbled across one of his grunge-related ones *.* indeed it's a genius song. I had totally forgotten that 'Boulevard of Broken Dreams' was Green Day's highest peaking single in the U.S. until rediscovering that fact for this commentary. 'The Saints Are Coming' is such a random one for the U.K. :') justice for The Simpsons Theme etc. xo

Yay, glad to see you commenting in here again happy.gif

QUOTE(jimwatts @ Oct 1 2022, 08:00 PM) *
My prediction for your top 5 was:
1. Toxic
2. Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
3. Avril Lavigne - Nobody's Home
4. Lola's Theme
5. Take Me Out

so I got 4/5 of them correct, the right artist for the other, and two of them in the right order! I remembered you saying a few pages back (seems it was p21) that your favourite Avril song was this year, so there were 3 to choose from, then I was fairly sure on the #1s and BOBD, and took a guess on Take Me Out (yay, another classic #3 too!) Boulevard Of Broken Dreams is of course a favourite of mine, and it's one of those songs which for me draws a link from the politicised tirades of American Idiot and Holiday to the disenfranchised protagonists of their earlier likes of Basket Case - because those characters were shaped by the world and country in which they lived. There was more to come from them in terms of singles in 2005, so I look forward to seeing how they fare here, but well done for completing 2004!

Ooh well done with those predictions! biggrin.gif I do like 'Nobody's Home' as well to be fair, but yeah, not quite enough room for it here. I love your passion towards Green Day's music! I grew up around a dad who loved them too and that very easily passed on to me. Thank you! Looking forward to getting stuck into 2005 in the not too distant future.

QUOTE(coi @ Oct 1 2022, 08:26 PM) *
Boulevard of Broken Dreams is by far my favourite of that top 5, what a song! wub.gif Love how moody and epic it is. I think I'd go as far as to call it my favourite Green Day song actually, although Wake Me Up When September Ends is a close contender (and yes I also played that earlier to mark the day of the year when Billie Joe Armstrong can wake up again!), hopefully we see that in the 2005 list. Take Me Out is another great one in there, and My Happy Ending is decent too.
Omg this! I think I'd struggle to write any more than like two sentences laugh.gif

Glad that this is back, excited to see what your 2005 list has in store as I think that was the start of a really good period for music in the charts!

Amazing choice of favourite Green Day song wub.gif let's just say that I have a lot of love to go around for the 'American Idiot' era x

laugh.gif it's weird to think that my commentary length for this thread wasn't to this extent when I first started it in 2019, but there we go, eventually slotted into the current format!

I agree that 2005 charts had some real gems to offer. Plus Crazy Frog and Pondlife kink.gif

QUOTE(Daan @ Oct 1 2022, 09:41 PM) *
Great to see this back! I can much agree with four of those being amongst the very best of 2004. Toxic is rightfully considered an all time pop classic at this point, one of the very best pop tracks of the 00s, so a deserving winner here. Great to see Lola's Theme so high here too, that has likewise aged very well. Boulevard and Take Me Out are all time classics of the rock and indie genres too.

Thanks Dan! <3 lmao the 'My Happy Ending' shade in these responses so far kink.gif glad you also hold 'Toxic' in such high regard though. I know 90s dance is much more well-loved than 00s dance but 'Lola's Theme' is a grand example of what the genre still had to offer at this point! Guitars still thriving too of course - with these enduring smashes, indeed.

QUOTE(Silence of the Wombats @ Oct 1 2022, 11:03 PM) *
Great to see you carrying on with this and continue with these wonderful essays *. Only seventeen years to go cheeseblock.png

Excellent top 5, all big favourites of mine. Toxic was certainly Britney's crowning moment, Lola's Theme is one of the most feelgood dance tracks from the 2000s, Take Me Out is a classic and one of the precursors of the British revival turned landfill indie movement so I can't not stan it x (I've started watching Trash Theory recently too! I don't know where to start given how many they have, but it's right up my street)

Boulevard... did suffer a bit from overplay (or my brother playing it on repeat x), but I'm liking it a lot more now, it's a massive anthem and hearing it in the context of the album did make me appreciate it a lot more. My Happy Ending is one of my favourites from Avril, I agree it's one of her most mature songs (odd to say that when a lot of her more immature moments came when she was a lot older :'))

I can't remember if I commented on it but great to see This is the Last Time in the top 10, one of my favourites from Keane <3

2005 was one of my favourite years for music and one of the first I was following hit music quite closely (before following super closely the next year), excited to see what your faves are x

wub.gif thank you very much Chez. Oh gosh, being reminded of how much is still left should be a good anti-procrastination tool so I don't add even more years on to it. laugh.gif

I'm pleased that our usually pretty in sync taste isn't faltering on this occasion. I'm particularly happy to finally see some love for 'My Happy Ending' in here, as much as I obviously love the other four too. Yeah I think a big factor towards my enjoyment of the 'Under My Skin' album in general was a noticeable increase in maturity ('I Always Get What I Want' aside which has always been my least favourite x) - tracks like 'Fall To Pieces' and 'Slipped Away' have always moved me a lot. How is this the same artist that put out 'Hello Kitty' xo

Happy to hear that you're also a Trash Theory fan *.* like I said in my response to Bray, I'm pretty sure I came across the channel for a grunge-related video, maybe related to Nirvana's infamous 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' TOTP performance in some way? and I immediately had to see more! I tried watching their uploads right from the beginning, but soon the reality of how much there was to get through hit, so that kinda fizzled out but I always watch their new uploads. I'll have to go back and watch others that seem like essentials at some point!

Glad the overplay courtesy of your brother didn't ruin your appreciation for 'Boulevard...' longterm! 'American Idiot' was a staple in childhood road-trips but I never got fed it up of it thankfully.

Oh yes 'This Is The Last Time' has aged stunningly <3 I know 'Somewhere Only We Know' is the most popular song from that album (and I do love that too) but that one really hits me hard.

*.* 2005 really strikes me as an important year for my own popular music history too as I got my first Now album that year!

QUOTE(Riser @ Oct 2 2022, 02:38 AM) *
Wow, honestly I didn't realize this had stalled for over a year! As I was catching up I saw previous posts from April and September without noticing they were actually from April and September 2021. laugh.gif Well done for getting back into it and finishing it!

01. Britney Spears - Toxic A hands-down classic, there's no debating this one!
03. Green Day - Boulevard of Broken Dreams I was unaware of Noel Gallagher calling this a Wonderwall ripoff. ohmy.gif Actually, there was a mashup of this song and Wonderwall that got a significant amount of airplay over here, and I remember liking it! That was actually my first exposure to Wonderwall, being just too young for chart music to hear it when it originally came out. Anyway, what a deservedly big classic of Green Day's this is. heart.gif
04. Avril Lavigne - My Happy Ending Okay I HAVE to shout out this one to balance the lack of love it is getting in this thread! I will forever rate Avril's second era higher than her first, she got me perfectly in the feels with every single and plenty of the album tracks as well. wub.gif (That said, while this is absolutely amazing, I do love 'Don't Tell Me' and 'Nobody's Home' even more kink.gif)
12. Anastacia - Left Outside Alone This was actually the first song I ever heard from Anastacia, because for whatever reason she never charted in America despite being American. thinking.gif This one did get some minimal exposure here though, and I really liked it but was oblivious to just how big of a global hit it was until several years later. That was quite the revelation as you might imagine. laugh.gif I love the Amy Lee comparison that you made and wouldn't be surprised if that had a lot to do with how well this song connected with the public!
14. OutKast - Roses An incredible single from an incredible group. wub.gif
18. Scissor Sisters - Mary Much like Anastacia, Scissor Sisters never had a charting song in their home country, how unfair! I do happen to know this one though and indeed it's a beauty. And yes it was a surprise to hear such a great ballad from them, when the only other song I knew of theirs was 'I Don't Feel Like Dancin' (yes, out of chronological order I know), but it just goes to show how much talent this band has, and especially Jake as a vocalist!
27. The Killers - Mr Brightside This song title looks vaguely familiar, I must recognize it from somewhere thinking.gif kink.gif Joking aside, while I might never play this song by choice again due to its overexposure, it still was a massive fave at the time and certainly deserves its classic status.

Yay, another great year! I'll be sure to comment again on 2005 no matter how long it takes to get there tongue.gif

Haha yes it really has been that long *_* I feel like time has especially been flying since the pandemic hit, I find it hard to comprehend that I started this 3 and a half years ago drama.gif

The 'Wonderwall' mash-up you mentioned is apparently what brought the similarity to Noel's attention!

Yay so glad that the 'My Happy Ending' fans are coming through now wub.gif and I know Joseph loves it too thankfully xo what a great era, I wish I could've fit more of it in really and there are so many standout album tracks too. Haha, Amy Lee does sound like an odd comparison for Anastacia on paper, but it really makes sense in the context of that intro delivery! I think it was the first song of hers I came across too as I was only about 3 when she had a big hit with 'I'm Outta Love' also. Like 'My Happy Ending', I recall 'Roses' being another fun one on Singstar *.*

The Scissor Sisters really deserved more U.S. attention </3 at least 'Let's Have A Kiki' was mashed up with 'Turkey Lurkey Time' on Glee?! laugh.gif glad you know and appreciate 'Mary' also, I was really happy that it got its time to shine in a BJSC spin-off even if it was a hit here, as it really made me appreciate it more compared to when I was a kid. Haha can imagine how much of a whiplash that must've been after the exposure of just 'I Don't Feel Like Dancing' first! I'm pretty sure the first song of theirs I knew well was was 'Filthy/Gorgeous', maybe more on that one in 2005... ohmy.gif

cheeseblock.png 'Mr Brightside' such an underground fave, I hope it'll get its proper breakout moment one day! That's understandable, I really started to become aware of its overexposure in about 2013 when it would come on at house parties and even at my prom. But a great song nevertheless!

Thank you heart.gif I promise you won't be waiting tooooo long kink.gif

QUOTE(PolterRobageist @ Oct 2 2022, 10:30 PM) *
Hey Jade, nice to see this running again. 'Toxic' of course a undeniable banger even though I prefer 'Everytime' of the two personally but there's no faulting that iconic video *.*

'Lola's Theme' a banger and 'Boulevard of Broken Dreams' a classic by Greenday too. I'm a fan of 'Take Me Out' as well and 'My Happy Ending' is decent but not a major fave of hers for me.

Hey Rob, thanks for continuing to stick around *.* 'Everytime' is stunning so can understand preference for that, they're definitely my top 2 Britney songs!

Okay back to the 'My Happy Ending' indifference after two fans kink.gif but glad most of this section was up your street!

QUOTE(King Rollo @ Oct 3 2022, 06:22 PM) *

1. Keane - Bedshaped
3. Snow Patrol - Run
17. Elbow - Not A Job

Oh wow Rollo sorry for making you wait so long to reply with this laugh.gif happy to see that we have some in common, then! 'Bedshaped', 'Run', 'Dry Your Eyes' and 'These Words' wouldn't have been too far off. I put 'I Predict A Riot' (and 'Somebody Told Me' for that matter) into consideration for 2005, just because I associate it more with that year as its re-release success came properly then. So watch this space!

QUOTE(Leatherface @ Oct 5 2022, 02:53 PM) *
A terrific Top 5 there, Jade. 'Toxic' was although I could be wrong one of Britney's most defining songs. 'Lola's Theme' is great, 'Boulevard of Broken Dreams' is my favourite Green Day song, would never tire of listening to that song, I can remember a couple of people at my primary school singing this at 'Pupil Idol' although they had to stop when it got that swear word in it. 'My Happy Ending' is absolutely amazing from Avril, that song along with the music video. 'Take Me Out' this came 10th in my Top 100 of the 2000s and that key change is incredible, my favourite song from 2004.

Thank you, Mack! You are definitely right to say that 'Toxic' is one of Britney's most defining songs, I'm pretty sure it's her most streamed. Great to see that quite a few of you guys consider 'Boulevard of Broken Dreams' to be your favourite Green Day song! heart.gif Pupil Idol omg laugh.gif escandalo haha!! oh brilliant more 'My Happy Ending' appreciation <3 and that's a fantastic choice of #1 2004 song yourself, of course.

+Quote this post

29 Pages V  « < 25 26 27 28 29 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:25 AM