BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PS4 vs Nintendo Switch, help me make a decision
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Dexton
post Nov 23 2018, 02:36 AM
Post #1
rip in peace Dickston
Group: Members
Member No.: 25,045
   No Gallery Pics

For most of my life I’ve been a PC gamer. The Sims, Zoo Tycoon, Civ, as well as more recently Jurassic World Evolution and Dying Light have been staples for me. My current laptop runs games incredibly well providing its set up correctly. I even have two wireless PS4 DualShock controllers which I have hooked up to my laptop which makes playing most FPS style games (and Crash Bandicoot x) much better to play and means I can sort of relax a little bit whilst playing them instead of being hunched over the mouse & keyboard. But thanks to the release of Red Dead Redemption 2 and Pokemon Let’s Go Eevee, neither of which will be coming to PC anytime soon/at all, I’m seriously considering buying a console to run the games I can’t on my PC. Realistically I can’t see RDR2 running at top performance on my laptop when it does eventually come to Windows anyway.

I used to have an Xbox One that I had GTA, Asassins Creed, Far Cry, and a few others on but since we moved out of our old house last December I packed it up and didn’t touch it again. I even tried selling it before we moved but had no luck. We moved into our new house in August (parents built a house, stayed at my sisters in the time being fyi) and I tried selling it again to success and got $230. I much prefer PlayStation controllers so if I was to get a console a PS4 is 100% the way I’d want to go over another Xbox.

But then if all future Pokémon games are apparently going to be on the Switch, as well as Smash Bros, Mario Kart, etc etc, then I’m also very interested in a Switch. This console would fit better in the house as all of our TVs are annoyingly hung up on the wall wth nothing beneath them, so a sort of wall clip to hold a Switch in place would work fine so long as it’s not huge and ugly. Whereas with a PS4, it’s a heavy console to do something like that with and is generally a big stupid black box with nowhere to go.

The fact I currently have PS4 controllers means it would be easy to transition into that style of gaming but at the same time it also wouldn’t offer a much different experience to what I have right now on my PC.

There’s many reasons to get both... I mean I would love to buy both but I think I should just stick to one right now laugh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Nov 26 2018, 12:35 PM
Post #2
rip in peace Dickston
   No Gallery Pics

Thanks guys I appreciate the help laugh.gif

I bought a Switch and it’s the best thing I’ve ever bought tbh

+Quote Post
Atonement
post Nov 26 2018, 05:08 PM
Post #3
I just had to see your face to feel alive
Member No.: 10,676
   No Gallery Pics

Welcome to the good side!

+Quote Post
lewistgreen
post Nov 26 2018, 09:12 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 19,585

QUOTE(Atonement @ Nov 26 2018, 05:08 PM) *
Welcome to the good side!

Agreed.

+Quote Post
HarryBorelli
post Nov 27 2018, 04:36 AM
Post #5
The Lady Said Go Home!
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 20,835

Right, I am actually gonna try and Help you.

I have both consoles (my sister uses my ps4 atm but I still have it atm). I think it depends on what you want for a console. Are you looking for more home-based gameplay or are you looking for that as well as on the go platform because I would say Switch is better for that. Both are consoles so I wouldn't worry about them not being a smooth transition. Then again I technically was a console gamer moving into a pc gaming which was not as smooth but I imagine pc > console would be a lot smoother. What else do you want in a console?

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Nov 27 2018, 12:11 PM
Post #6
rip in peace Dickston
   No Gallery Pics

Honestly I’m incredibly glad I chose the Switch over PS4. I know I’d enjoy a PS4 but the convenience of the Switch edges it for me, it’s essentially your basic console but fully functions as basically a DS too. I didn’t realise how smooth you could transition from playing on TV to handheld but it’s quite literally just the case of attaching the joy-cons and picking up the set. You don’t even have to close your game or anything *.*

I spent about 3 hours the other day playing Mario Kart with my niece, it took her a while to get into it because she’s so young but after a while she started doing really well and we had a blast with it!

+Quote Post
Last Dreamer
post Nov 27 2018, 03:51 PM
Post #7
With Kristina in heart
Member No.: 28,104
   No Gallery Pics

I never will understand the hype around Nintendo consoles and videogames.
Now (after Gamecube era) it's just Mario, Zelda and nothing more interesting.

This post has been edited by Good Old Days: Nov 27 2018, 03:54 PM

+Quote Post
Anita Hanjaab
post Dec 1 2018, 02:44 PM
Post #8
Buffy/Charmed
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

PS4. Switch has hardly any games, is a weak console, and is more for kids.

+Quote Post
WhoOdyssey
post Dec 1 2018, 02:52 PM
Post #9
A dead mouse (from my cat)
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 67,771

QUOTE(December @ Dec 1 2018, 02:44 PM) *
PS4. Switch has hardly any games, is a weak console, and is more for kids.

I'd completely disagree with all of that!

This post has been edited by WhoOdyssey: Dec 1 2018, 02:57 PM

+Quote Post
lewistgreen
post Dec 1 2018, 02:57 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 19,585

A lot of major releases get put on the Switch platform too (yes, not all of them I know but still).

+Quote Post
HarryBorelli
post Dec 1 2018, 03:03 PM
Post #11
The Lady Said Go Home!
Member No.: 20,835

Switch has its own brand of games including Mario, Zelda, Splatoon and lets not forget its a fairly new console as well so its bound to have as many games as some other consoles buts growing year by year. Also the "just for kids" comment is untrue.

from an image posted in the IGN forums:

+Quote Post
Anita Hanjaab
post Dec 1 2018, 10:32 PM
Post #12
Buffy/Charmed
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

Marketing. Just like FF9, it is designed for kids. It is not a powerful console.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Dec 1 2018, 10:58 PM
Post #13
Brown cow, stunning!
Member No.: 10,139

It doesn't have to be powerful, of course in making it portable (ie smaller, as it needs to be to fit that purpose) it won't have the same power as say a PS4 or Xbox One, but for the kind of games on it, it doesn't need that. It's not just portable, it's flexible, you can play it in any way you want or need and for games like Mario Kart, Pokemon Let's Go, Mario Party, that kind of thing is perfect. The fact you can take it with you to someone's house, between rooms, or while travelling, is really great and makes up for the fact it doesn't have the power of other consoles. Nintendo has always been a bit more about those big franchises, but they so rarely get it wrong that they're enough to hook you onto a system and then there's so many hidden gems too. "For kids" is wrong, "for casual gamers" is probably more like it. Of course, a lot of hardcore gaming fans like myself have one too, but I think the reason it's done so well is that flexibility, people can use it on whatever level they want or need, and it has a lot of accessible games from familiar franchises - there's something for everyone.

You can't really compare the two directly, as in to say one is better than the other, they're totally different systems with a different target audience and mostly different types of game for them. Not that Dexton's point in making this thread was to do that anyway, he just wanted to know which to get. I have both and love both, the Switch is so so easy to pick up and get used to though! I was a bit worried I might find it difficult to adjust from a PS4 with a "proper" controller (I know you can get the Switch Pro controller but that's like £55) but it's so intuitive and it works in so many different ways for each game, as I said that portability and flexibility is a huge edge, and it depends what you want. I like a bit of both and so have both, I use them for totally different things. Both have some great exclusives which swings me too, compared to say an Xbox which doesn't really have any exclusives I'd want, all the games I'd get I can just have on PS4 anyway.

+Quote Post
Sempachorra
post Dec 2 2018, 11:22 PM
Post #14
Let's Go Brandon
Member No.: 421

PS4 is the best console of all time. Its just an endless list of amazing games to choose from with incredible variety. PSVR is the icing on the cake.

Switch does nothing for me.

This post has been edited by Euphorique: Dec 2 2018, 11:24 PM

+Quote Post
slowdown73
post Apr 13 2019, 03:58 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 1,031
   No Gallery Pics

I’d get the Switch. It’s such a good gaming console and highly portable. None of the games on PS4 interest me. Nintendo usually have far better games!

+Quote Post
Sempachorra
post Apr 13 2019, 06:51 PM
Post #16
Let's Go Brandon
Member No.: 421

Nah, the variety and quality of games it has eclipses anything on the Switch

This post has been edited by Euphorique: Apr 13 2019, 06:52 PM

+Quote Post
natelivliv
post May 18 2019, 04:32 PM
Post #17
New Entry
Member No.: 81,401
   No Gallery Pics

There's no possible way for us to tell you which is better for your circumstance. I have both and I love both.

Do you prefer PS4 exclusives or Nintendo exclusives? Do you care about graphics? Do you want the best version of AAA 3rd-party games? Do you need portability? All of these questions have different answers for each person, and therefore make different systems better or worse for different people.

Tutuapp 9apps Showbox

This post has been edited by natelivliv: May 19 2019, 01:52 PM

+Quote Post
natelivliv
post Jun 27 2019, 08:59 PM
Post #18
New Entry
Member No.: 81,401
   No Gallery Pics

There's no possible way for us to tell you which is better for your circumstance. I have both and I love both.

Do you prefer PS4 exclusives or Nintendo exclusives? Do you care about graphics? Do you want the best version of AAA 3rd-party games? Do you need portability? All of these questions have different answers for each person, and therefore make different systems better or worse for different people.

+Quote Post
Dobbo
post Jun 27 2019, 09:00 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 20,053
   No Gallery Pics

Is there an echo in here?

+Quote Post
Oliver
post Jun 27 2019, 09:13 PM
Post #20
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
Member No.: 15,367

QUOTE(dobbo @ Jun 27 2019, 10:00 PM) *
Is there an echo in here?

Oh god laugh.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:40 PM