BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Record Mirror 7th January 1984, Madonna interviewed, Million sellers (Alan Jones)
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Popchartfreak
post 21st January 2015, 02:50 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
Just because I picked up my (edited) version a minute ago, the features I didn't chuck away:

Glossy Record Mirror had all the crucial chart information you might want in those days, and cover stars were Daryl Hall & John Oates.

Icicle Works and Quiet Riot were interviewed, RM was headlining Rick Parfitt of Status Quo 21 years on - and still not yet half-way through their career!

Flesh For Lulu were tipped to watch (oops) in an interview, the year end UK and US charts were listed for 1983 (no new charts) , and an annoyed Bucks Fizz fan berated RM for slagging off Bucks Fizz at every opportunity while pushing acts like The Farmers' Boys all the time (who?!). "Most Fizz goes flat after a few years" came the smart-arse muso retort, who must be somewhat annoyed that Bucks Fizz are still remembered (and still had another 4 years of hits ahead), were everything the fan claimed them to be.

I love it when rock journalists talk bull, which to be fair, was a lot of the time. The internet has at least democratised critical opinion....

A new "disco singer" was interviewed. Her name was Madonna. She muses on British dance music having more personality and style, her lonely early days in NYC, and a simple approach to her music because " I'm not an incredible musician. I want to keep it that way. I want it to be direct." Modesty!
She also talks about her first movie involvement (wrestling!) and the journalist poses a question about being in danger of trying to do too much, crossing from one medium to another: " You can cross over - Judy garland did it! ....I don't see it as being so diverse, especially with video becoming so strong..after you've done an album you often have to wait around for 6 months until it's promoted, so I might as well act in that time. There aren't any rules that say you can't. Music is very important to me, but the thought that I can only make records for the rest of my life fills me with horror. I think people who are talented at something are good at a lot of different things."

So, before she'd even had a hit, pretty much her entire future career mapped out. Got to hand it to her! Yes you do....!

Top US single 1983: Every Breath You Take - Police/ album: Thriller

Top UK 1983: Karma Chameleon - Culture Club/album: Thriller

Record Mirror disco chart number 1: The Sound Of Music - Dayton (Holiday - Madonna at 2), with Eartha Kitt (Where Is My Man) topping the Boystown chart aka Gay chart.

There were a page and a half of new singles and album releases. That includes, John Lennon, Shaky & Bonnie, ABC, Meatloaf, Manhattan Transfer, Donna Summer, Genesis, Four Tops, Dead Or Alive and dozens of other well-known acts. That's one week's releases, and around 150-200 singles. How many famous names are releasing singles this week? One. (Ne-yo)

Morrissey was pictured kneeling adoringly at the feet of Sandie Shaw, and Alan Jones Chartfile listed all of the existing million sellers (38 of 'em - count 'em!). One of these seem to have been retroactively dismissed from the listings:

What Do You Want To Make Those Eyes At Me For - Emile Ford & The Checkmates

He also affectionately (and rightly) berates "The Effing Pickets" stopping Slade's My Oh My topping the charts, and lists all of the longest-running chart hits (My Way, still is), and hit the most times (Happy Xmas War Is Over).
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
MFR
post 22nd January 2015, 10:44 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 9,037
What happened to What Do You Want To Make Those Eyes At Me For by Emile Ford & The Checkmates?

Possible spolier alert if this is planned as a series of reviews of old issues of Record Mirror, but the next time Alan visited the subject of UK million-sellers he had decided that this track was a worldwide million-seller, but had not sold a million in the UK.

+Quote this post
ϑЃεβϘ
post 22nd January 2015, 11:09 PM
Post #3
Group icon
I Was Born Free
User: 1,751
FYI The Farmer's Boys were a mid-80s indie band whose closest brush with fame was a cover of In The Country which made #44

+Quote this post
fiesta
post 23rd January 2015, 12:28 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 232
My Oh My by Slade is one of their best songs and sadly over looked

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 23rd January 2015, 01:24 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
Thanks all for the info, I may just do some random reviews as I come across old issues for fun.

cool.gif

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 03:05 PM