BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spice Girls Solo Singles Rate: RESULTS, Edited the results + full results revealed
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Nina West
post Nov 2 2017, 07:51 PM
Post #1
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
Group: Members
Member No.: 19,846
   No Gallery Pics

Firstly a big thank you to the 27 members who took part and made this a success.

We've had the group singles, now it's time to see who had the best solo career, with 52 singles in the running, who will come out on top, Mel B, Melanie C, Geri, Emma or Victoria.

All will be revealed very soon.. Any thoughts/any predictions

This post has been edited by SamJudd: Mar 14 2020, 06:06 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Nov 2 2017, 08:52 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

I'm guessing 'Half Of Me' will be first out and Victoria will be the first to have all her songs out of the rate.

No idea which song is going to win but I would assume one of Geri's singles, unless the underdog 'Never Be the Same Again' makes it.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Nov 2 2017, 10:06 PM
Post #3
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

I am going to predict a 'Maybe' win even though I am of course rooting for 'Never Be The Same Again'!

'Half Of Me' is surely first out indeed laugh.gif

+Quote Post
McAndrew
post Nov 2 2017, 11:09 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 39,551
   No Gallery Pics

I'd expect Melanie C and Geri to dominate. But I'd love to see Emma get in the top 3 with 'Maybe'!

Surely 'Today' is first out?

Can't wait to find out. Thank you SamJudd!

This post has been edited by Michael Andrew: Nov 28 2017, 11:36 PM

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Nov 3 2017, 12:14 AM
Post #5
   No Gallery Pics

I gave you the finger you took me to dinner

#52. Geri Halliwell - Half Of Me [2.846]

Highest Scores: 7: (Liam, THEO), Lowest Scores: -1/0: (Mr X, vibe, JB2o20, Jack, mutucan, engineer, Jade, liamk97}

In the bottom position and the first spice to lose a single, Geri Halliwell's 'Half Of Me', which marked her first release in 8 years to coincide with her appearance as a judge on 'Australia's Got Talent', as well as signing a record deal with Sony Music Australia which would be exclusively released in that country only. So the wheels in motion were set for her big comeback, and well...it didn't work out that way as the single tanked with a piss poor chart peak of #281 selling only 393 copies, leaving any further forthcoming material up in the air indefinitely.

I have always been a fan of the Spice Girls and their solo efforts, especially Geri's as I loved her first 2 studio albums and she released some cracking tunes over her peak years, but standards began to slip with her 3rd album with the awful 'Passion', which also tanked & seemed to mark the end of her once promising singing career.

So imagine my delight at when it was announced that she was to return, then all hopes dashed when this awful tripe was brought out. My thoughts were WTF they were thinking that this would take off, with it's cringeworthy trumpet running throughout it's very basic pop sound which sounded out of date even back in 2013. And don't get me started on that 50p budget music video, which probably ranks as one of the worst videos of all time. However after a few spins the song did warm to me slightly, but still wouldn't rank it anywhere other than last place and doesn't even come close to reaching those highs of her former glory.

#51. Melanie C - I Want Candy [4.277]

Highest Scores: 9.5: (HarryApa), 8: (Liam), Lowest Scores: 0: (engineer, Supercell)

At #51 Melanie C is the next Spice Girl to lose a single with 'I Want Candy' which was released as the 2nd single from her 4th album 'This Time' in February 2007, as well as featuring on the soundtrack to the movie of the same name. As most of you probably know the song is a cover originally by The Strangeloves in 1965 and has been covered many times throughout the years by the likes of Bow Wow Wow & Aaron Carter.

Melanie's version doesn't stray too far away from the original, just given that typical 00's update and did nothing to halt her flagging career in the UK, where the song peaked at a mere #24 before dropping down fast selling a mere 12,000 copies. While other European countries got the far superior 'The Moment You Believe', we got this and even remembering at the time when this was released that there wasn't any hype for it and the fact that she didn't much promo for it due to her promoting the other single elsewhere, this didn't really stand a chance and to put an even further damper on things even the radio stations didn't bother with it.

Like most of her later releases, this did find more success in other countries by reaching top 10 peaks in Denmark & Italy, but as for the UK her career was on life support as even the album and further singles did nothing to reverse fortunes and it would seem that for the time being her solo career was better suited to Europe. By this point even fans of the Spice Girls had moved on & although things would look up later in the year when the reunion of her former bandmates started making waves with a successful Greatest Hits album and even more successful farewell tour.

This post has been edited by SamJudd: Mar 21 2020, 07:01 PM

+Quote Post
Jade
post Nov 3 2017, 12:22 AM
Post #6

An obvious last place if ever I saw one laugh.gif and the perfect wooden spoon as it was of course my -1. Such a long gap since 'Desire' and she comes back with... that mellow.gif 'Half Of Me' houses terrible lyrics and an awful video to go alongside. Flush.

Didn't expect any Melanie C songs to be dropping out this early ohmy.gif I'm not a massive fan of 'I Want Candy' or anything but I don't think it deserves bottom 2.

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Nov 3 2017, 03:44 AM
Post #7
   No Gallery Pics

Just to let everybody know of how I will be posting the results, as follows = 50-41 will be in 5's, 40-30 will in 3's & 4's, then 29-26 will be in 2's, and then finally the top 25 will be single posts.

Also what does everybody think of my commentary's, are they okay.

This post has been edited by SamJudd: Nov 3 2017, 04:33 AM

+Quote Post
vibe
post Nov 3 2017, 07:44 AM
Post #8
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

We all knew Half Of Me would be first out !!

I didn't expect IWC To be sexond out !. Atleast it has a good video.

Top 3 predictions

1. Maybe
2. Never Be The Same Again
3. When You're Gone

+Quote Post
HarryBorelli
post Nov 3 2017, 07:58 AM
Post #9
The Lady Said Go Home!
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 20,835

Why is I Want Candy so low :/

+Quote Post
engineer
post Nov 3 2017, 10:26 AM
Post #10
New Entry
Member No.: 40,315
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(SamJudd @ Nov 3 2017, 01:14 AM) *
#52. Geri Halliwell - Half Of Me [3.115]

Totally deserved the last place dance.gif
But how did you count the mean score?
There were 26 votes:
7*(-1) + 1*0 + 2*2 + 3*3 + 1*3.5 + 3*4 + 4*5 + 2*6 + 1*6.5 + 2*7 = 74
74/26 = 2.846 ≠ 3.115

+Quote Post
schizo_spice
post Nov 3 2017, 08:38 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 39,574
   No Gallery Pics

I get the feeling Half of Me would've been more popular had it been released worldwide and been semi successful.

Not a deserving bottom 2 for me but each to their own.

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Nov 4 2017, 01:29 AM
Post #12
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(engineer @ Nov 3 2017, 10:26 AM) *
Totally deserved the last place dance.gif
But how did you count the mean score?
There were 26 votes:
7*(-1) + 1*0 + 2*2 + 3*3 + 1*3.5 + 3*4 + 4*5 + 2*6 + 1*6.5 + 2*7 = 74
74/26 = 2.846 ≠ 3.115

Whoops thanks for pointing that out, I accidently counted the -1's as 0's, but I have edited it.

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Nov 4 2017, 04:10 AM
Post #13
   No Gallery Pics

Caught in the eye of a storm

In this selection Mel B suffers the worst by losing 3 songs none of which were very successful, while both Melanie C & Geri lose another one each.

#50. Mel B - Today [4.555]

Highest Scores: 7: (Euphorique, THEO, Jonjo, LazySpice88, Schizo Spice), Lowest Scores: -1/0: (Michael Andrew, Supercell)

At #50 is the first of 3 Mel B singles to drop in this bunch 'Today' which was released in June 2005 as the first and only single from her 2nd album 'L.A. State Of Mind'. It marked her first release in 4 years after getting dropped by Virgin Records due to poor sales of her debut album after which she lost interest in recording music for a few years and concentrated on acting and presenting. It wasn't until 2004 when she debuted on the stage in the musical 'Rent', that she became interested in music again and later revealed that she was recording new material, but not signing with any major label because the music would be non commercial and therefore created her own label 'Amber Cafe' just to release the album.

Judging by the awful lead single it's not hard to see why there was no interest in this project, the song managed a peak of just #41 on the UK charts upon release and quickly vanished out of the charts the following week selling a mere 1,000 copies in it's opening week. Again you can see why this didn't take off where Melanie attempts to go down the acoustic pop route and fails miserably due to it's awfully dated production and simplistic childlike melodies, which just doesn't cut it, even back in 2005 this sounded out of place.

While her husky tones worked well when she was with the Spice Girls as their vocals all complimented each other well, however here she sounds like she's in pain and the amateurish nature of this represents the album entirely, which suffered an even worse fate by charting at an humiliating #453 on the UK charts with just 670 copies sold, along with terrible critical reviews who have dubbed this the worst Spice Girl solo album by far, and their probably right. After this she choice wisely to abandon the project and put her music career on hold for several years and focus on TV, which turned out to be the better option for her.

#49. Geri Halliwell - Angels In Chains [4.788]

Highest Scores:8.5/8: (engineer, Schizo Spice), Lowest Scores: 0: (Mr X, Jack)

At #49 is Geri Halliwell's latest release to date 'Angels In Chains' which was released this year as a loving tribute to her close friend George Michael who passed away on Christmas Day 2016. Her first release in 4 years following the disaster that was 'Half Of Me' with all proceeds going to charity. Featuring backing vocals from George Michael's musical family, it's something that echoes familiarity in both it's touching sound and many references to the man himself.

Now she may not be known for her strong vocals this piano ballad really suits her and a much better direction for Geri to go in at this point in her career. While it may be a bit of a risk as she is more known for big brash pop numbers, she really finds her footing here after a somewhat shaky start, but as the song carries on you can really feel her emotion with the plush percussive accompaniment which helps smooth over the rough edges and along with the gospel-influenced backing vocals which really shine here as does the chorus which cleverly represents his George's many ballads, which makes this a really beautiful and well crafted tribute to a global icon.

While this may not be one of her best songs, it's a step in the right direction for her, and it does peak interest of what's to come on her long awaited 4th studio album, if and when that day ever comes.

#48. Mel B - Lullaby [4.944]

Highest Scores: 9: (engineer), 7.5/7: (Lukuzz, mutucan, LazySpice88), Lowest Scores: 0: (Supercell)

At #48 is Mel B's 'Lullaby' which was released in June 2001 as the final single from her debut album 'Hot' and peaked at #13 on the UK charts, which sealed her fate with 'Virgin Records' and led to her being dropped by the label, due to poor album sales and the next planned single 'Hotter', which would have been a far better choice than this being scrapped. To add insult to injury she was also blasted by the media for using her child Phoenix Chi in the music video and single artwork, labelling her desperate spice and using her child as a marketing tool.

Now that was a bit harsh, sure the song isn't great but it is a loving tribute to her daughter with it's light acoustic guitar and light percussion, and yeah the lyrics are cheesy as hell, but the chorus does have a really warm feel to it and her vocals are rather nice here, but this should have stayed on the album and not released as a single which was a huge mistake as you can tell by it's chart performance and critical reception. This of course did not help flagging album sales and led to her solo career dead in the water and she would not recover from this at all, as she wouldn't grace the top 40 ever again, despite getting off to a good start with a #1 hit for her first release.

If the next planned single 'Hotter' was released instead then maybe it could have given her another hit and she could have hung on to her recording contract for a bit longer, but there is no way of knowing that now is there, it's just another what could have been.

#47. Mel G - Word Up [5.148]

Highest Scores: 10: (Mr X, Michael Andrew), 8: (Lukuzz, JB2o20, letloverule), Lowest Scores: 0: (Supercell)

At #47 is the 3rd song from Mel B or G as it says on this to feature in the bunch. 'Word Up' which was released in June 1999 as her 2nd solo release following the chart topping smash 'I Want You Back' from the previous year. This however was far less successful by only managing a #13 peak. Although there was a slight error on the charts that week where this was wrongly listed at #14, but was corrected and placed it's correct chart position. At the time this was the lowest charting Spice Girl related single of the 90's and another fact this was her only single to be released under her brief name change of Mel G due to her short lived marriage to Jimmy Gulzar which may have been one of the factors that led to it's underperformance, all that would change by the next year where she would revert back to Mel B in a big way with her next single.

This wasn't included on her debut album, probably due to it's relatively low chart peak and stupid decision name change, only ending up on the 'Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me' soundtrack and later on the Japanese version of her album. This was originally sung by the American funk band Cameo back in 1986 and has been covered many times throughout the years, most recently by Little Mix back in 2014.

This probably wasn't the wisest choices of songs to cover for Mel B to release at this early point in her career, firstly the original is just too well known and this just doesn't compare in any way despite decent production by Timbaland to give it a more sassy street-wise edge, and despite her attempts at trying to put her own stamp on it's stomping hook, this just falls flat and her harsh vocal tones just doesn't work on here. I can see why this got scrapped from the album and quickly became forgotten about.

#46. Melanie C - Melt [5.25]

Highest Scores: 10: (Lukuzz), 8: (Jade), Lowest Scores: 0: (Supercell)

The last single to drop in this bunch is Melanie C's 'Melt', released in November 2003 alongside 'Yeh, Yeh, Yeh', as the 3rd and final single from her 2nd album 'Reason'. Originally the plan was to just release the latter single on it's own in September of that year, but due to her knee injury on the TV show 'The Games', which limited her movement and could not fully promote an upbeat song, so the original release date was pushed back and the ballad 'Melt' was added to the mix resulting in a double a-side release & to make it easier for her to perform.

This tactic failed to improve things as numerous problems soon followed, firstly the misprint of the CD singles where the latter track was listed as the first track and it wasn't, then there was strong chart competition from that week's releases, as well as lack of promotion which resulted in the song only managing a #27 peak, becoming her first single to miss the top 20 and led to her being the final member of the Spice Girls to get dropped by Virgin Records and further hindering any hopes for future success. Although she did try to get the title track 'Reason' released as the next single in a desperate hope to turn things around, but the decision was final and never got past the planning stages. However things would improve for her the following year where she ended up forming her own label Red Girl Records, to release her further material.

'Melt' is a nice enough if not earnest piano ballad, but for me it just lacks that certain punch and doesn't quite stand out from the crowd, it's instantly forgettable, hell I had trouble even remembering it until I started doing this rate and realized that I didn't miss much. There's a certain hollowness to it despite the nice production and Melanie's great vocals, this is just bland and therefore lacks that certain spark that should have made it great or at least interesting.

This post has been edited by SamJudd: Mar 21 2020, 07:16 PM

+Quote Post
vibe
post Nov 4 2017, 09:32 AM
Post #14
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

Word Up didn't eneratebany buzz at all even with 2 amazing videos . I appreciate it a lot more now than when released. It's certainly better than the Little Mix version .

+Quote Post
McAndrew
post Nov 4 2017, 10:05 AM
Post #15
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 39,551
   No Gallery Pics

Oh Mel B!

I actually loved 'Word Up' at the time. But I think the name change contributed to it's failure, as well as the alternative, weirdly adult CGI video.

Spice fans had to cope with too much change in the run up to their solo projects. I was beginning to feel like I didn't know them anymore.

Then there was Mel B's overly sexy album cover. No-one was going to buy that as a Christmas present for a 10-14 year old.

And I totally agree that 'Lullaby' was a mis-step. Such a bland and personal song. Surely only die-hard fans bought that one. 'Hotter' was the album stand-out, and the better single choice.

NB. Thank you SamJudd! Appreciate this is a massive project. Loving your commentaries.

This post has been edited by Michael Andrew: Nov 4 2017, 10:12 AM

+Quote Post
HarryBorelli
post Nov 4 2017, 10:40 AM
Post #16
The Lady Said Go Home!
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 20,835

No real losses in that section imo.

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Nov 4 2017, 01:32 PM
Post #17
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

No major losses so far!

Re: Word Up - back in 1999 there was an error with compiling, which meant an inaccurate chart aired and Word Up was given a position of #14. Official Charts posted the correct chart in 2015 and it turned out it should have peaked at #13! So that’s the position they’ve belatedly given her.

Lol, harsh write up for Today. ohmy.gif I think it’s a pleasant enough song, it’s just a bit nondescript. Very cheap video though.

Great commentary so far!

+Quote Post
spiceboy
post Nov 4 2017, 02:07 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 39,568
   No Gallery Pics

Wow Today and LA State Of Mind suffered in your write up laugh.gif ohmy.gif I personally love both, think they have a very simple but earthly sound to them. Each to their own though smile.gif

+Quote Post
Jade
post Nov 4 2017, 02:18 PM
Post #19

Aw it's a shame to see 'Melt' out so early sad.gif I suppose it's not the most memorable song ever but I love the vibes of it and her voice sounds so calming.

'Angels In Chains' and 'Lullaby' are both sweet tributes to George/Mel's daughter but that's about it. I don't have much of an urge to seek out either of them really. 'Today' and 'Word Up' are then pretty bad - particularly the latter. I agree that Mel's voice doesn't really suit the song at all. Little Mix's cover is far superior to me!

+Quote Post
spiceboy
post Nov 4 2017, 03:01 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 39,568
   No Gallery Pics

Wow you think so? I think Mel's cover is far superior but just think it was too experimental too early for her, it could have gone either way.

+Quote Post

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:11 AM