BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> May Favourites
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Klumzee
post 1st June 2017, 11:18 AM
Post #1
Group icon
#TeamAnneMarie
User: 11,421

Hey guys back with some favourites from May - hoping to turn this concept into a blog post of some type but thought I'd test it out on you guys!

Camilla Cabello 'Crying in the Club' - the much anticipated first solo release of the breakout star of Fifth Harmony. Despite using the ever-tiring 'Sia sound' included tinny beats and garbled lyrics, it manages to be one of the strongest pop songs of the year. If it had been released in 2014/15 it would've been smashing the charts when this sound was much fresher! The 'Genie in a Bottle' sample also works surprisingly well without being over-bearing on the rest of the song. I think single two will be the decider on whether Camilla is a flash in the pan success or if she will continue to build her career but for now I'll take this for what it is and enjoy it!

Miley Cyrus 'Malibu' - now to a release I don't think many were expecting! After the bizarre 'concept album' (?)' of 'Miley Cyrus & Her Dead Petz' which many thought would be a career killer, she's back with her most sincere number yet with the beautiful 'Malibu' - a tribute to her lover Liam Hemsworth. The pop-rock sound is a return to her Tennessee roots and it showcases the gravelly tones in her voice she has often tried to hide (bar a stunning cover of Dolly Parton's 'Jolene') The vocalising in the middle 8 and the explosion into the last chorus is my highlight - particularly done well in her performance of the song at the Billboard Music Awards. I am really rooting for Miley to have an incredible 2017!

La La Land Cast 'Someone in the Crowd' - late to the party I know but ever since my Mum sat the family down to watch this on DVD I've been obsessed with the musical numbers! 'Someone in the Crowd' just tops the rest with it's rousing orchestra backing the theatre-type vocals and shows both vulnerability and flare at the same time. Both Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling's vocals throughout the soundtrack have really impressed considering they both were vocally trained for the film in particular (Ryan also learning the piano on top of that!). City of Stars which seemed to be the song of La La Land didn't grab me as much as some of the numbers both vocal and instrumental so I was pleasantly surprised to see how strong the soundtrack for this film is - I'm sure I'll be watching it again before the end of this week!

Luis Fonsi, Daddy Yankee & Justin Bieber 'Despacito' - Unquestionably the biggest song in the world as of June 1st and for very good reason! Complete earworm and timed to absolutely perfection for the summer ahead, this is shaping up to be the soundtrack of summer 2017. Of course the Justin Bieber feature is what has propelled this into the limelight but considering three-quarters of the track is sung in Spanish and Luis Fonsi and the iconic Daddy Yankee still have contributed considerably to the popular remix - it proves this reggaeton tune has certainly more to it than just the Biebz. I'm making a conscious effort not to let this get overplayed in my mind as I'm sure it is on the radios and elsewhere in life - but then again the sound of 2016 'One Dance' never tired on me so let's hope Despacito can follow in its footsteps! Lowkey praying that this sparks a trend in foreign language and reggaeton hits *cue Enrique and Shakira dropping brand new songs*

Maggie Rogers 'On + Off' - I've known about this girl for a while after discovering her debut 'Alaska' one of those faceless pop blogs late 2016 and despite being a placid fan of 'Alaska' since, she has really come into her own this month with the addition of 'Dog Years' and 'On + Off' to my playlists. She has the most relaxing dreamy voice that lends itself so well to her softer approach to pop (as well as clothes shop playlists). She featured on the BBC Sound of 2017 longlist but I'm hoping she gains some more critical acclaim in the latter half of this year and 2018. I've selected 'On + Off' as the recommended song as it is a very instant and accessible song without being overbearing in the slightest and has wonderful melodies running through the song.

Blanche 'City Lights' - Eurovision time! Unfortunately this was the first contest since 2006 that I haven't been able to watch any of the performances live (both semi-finals and finals) so I don't feel quite so connected to this year, however this shone through post contest as what I think is my favourite now. The Italian offering 'Occidentali's Karma' was my initial favourite all the way up to the beginning of Eurovision week however this subtle pop song which is quite unusual for Eurovision managed to capture my heart at the last moment! Young 17 year old Blanche looked like a deer in the headlights performing this live yet it managed to translate well to the juries and televoting public and finish in 4th place which was a shock to me as her live performance on the night certainly wouldn't have convinced me to pick up the phone and vote for her. The studio version and acoustic live versions of this song are what convinced me that this was a fantastic pop song!

Katy Perry feat. Migos 'Bon Appetit' - maybe not in my top 10 songs of this month but one I certainly would like to talk about! Following the mature sound of 'Chained to the Rhythm', 'Bon Appetit' was a bit of a shocker. A song filled with food-related innuendos and featuring the most desperate musical act of 2017 does seem like a one step forwards, five steps back situation. From first listen this always had the aura of a misstep in her career and perhaps one that we'll look back on as the downfall of Katy Perry. But at the same time it is a lowkey bop. I see it as the 'Dark Horse' of the 'Witness' era but with a more subdued trap beat and vocal performance from Katy which absolutely does not translate well live. Migos' feature is very throwaway in my opinion but it doesn't subtract from the whole package. All in all it's a song and music video combo that I'm glad exists but maybe this signals the beginning of the end of KP?

Farmer Lola & Farmer Lotta 'Bestest in the Barn' - From one bop to the BIGGEST BOP OF THE MILLENIUM. This first came to my attention on a rainy two-day trip to Alton Towers where this is one of the songs that soundtracks the utopia that is 'Cbeebies Land'. It has been brought into this world by 'Farmer Lola' and 'Farmer Lotta' stemming from the TV show 'Charlie & Lola' about 10 years ago. The lyrics discuss teaching various farm animals how to sing, dance and play musical instruments. The song itself is filled with so many hooks and quotable moments as well as three different instrumental breakdowns which will give all your dead relatives LIFE. This song has somehow becoming a pre's anthem, a meme, a greeting as well as the ultimate mood lifter. Despite it's obvious jovial nature it's a song that I'm now going to tie so many good memories with and I never thought this would be the case at the beginning of this month!

Die Antwoord 'Love Drug' - on to an act that is creeping up to be one of my favourite bands currently. 'Love Drug' is the latest release from the South African batshit crazy husband/wife duo that is Die Antwoord. Fast-paced rapped verses and heavy beats juxtapose the light fluffy sung chorus that craves your love as if it is a drug (deep I know). I know this act will never be a good bunch of the public's cup of tea but they consistantly release banger after banger for me and I was gutted I wasn't at Reading festival last year to see them perform live - which I've heard is another experience entirely. Not sure this will ever be my favourite of their songs but it's another strong song to add to their eclectic back catalogue.

Cashmere Cat feat. MO & SOPHIE '9 (After Coachella)' - the news of these three collaborating had me so eager for it's release. Cashmere Cat being one of the most exciting and innovative producers out there who always manages to draft artists that I love into her songs, MŲ who has become Major Lazer's partner in crime and has a very solid selection of left-field pop songs and SOPHIE who is surprisingly the only male out of three and one of the forefathers of the PC Music movement. But what came next no one could believe (clickbait lol) - but yet this is true! I've not heard a song quite like this ever. A mixture of sickly sweet lyrics longing for a lover followed by a very bass heavy breakdown that sounds like it was sponsored by Fisher Price? What is even going on. It took me a long to warm to this song but like Bon Appetit - I had to keep coming back and listening to this to work out what was going on and whether I could like a song this disjointed? I've worked out that the outlandish nature of this song is what makes it the most appealing and no song can currently stand up to this (bar maybe 'Hell Hound' but that is a full on hot mess).

Album recommendation: Cashmere Cat '9'

highlights: 9 (After Coachella), Quit (feat. Ariana Grande) & Trust Nobody (feat. Selena Gomez & Tory Lanez)

one to avoid: Katy Perry - Swish Swish (feat. Nicki Minaj)

Let me know what's been your favourite of this bunch and any recommendations for listening! happy.gif

This post has been edited by IrnBruzee: 1st June 2017, 11:22 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 09:24 PM