BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> 
6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Liam's EOY 2018, Top 40 albums, top 200 singles
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Brightest Blue
post Dec 21 2018, 06:57 PM
Post #21
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Banned
Member No.: 23,155

Lost My Mind really is a highlight on No Shame wub.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sergej
post Dec 21 2018, 10:39 PM
Post #22
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 39,723
   No Gallery Pics

Hello Liam!
Really like most of the albums, really surprised that you like Francesca Michelin's album!
I thought I was the only one who knows her music!

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Dec 24 2018, 01:37 AM
Post #23
Brown cow, stunning!
Group: Members
Member No.: 10,139

Oops I realised I forgot an album so I'll slot it in as it WOULD have been top 10 rotf.gif

Little Mix - LM5

Highlights: Woman Like Me, Strip, Wasabi, Forget You Not, The Cure

This has been a bit divisive for the girls, at a time when they could easily (and probably should) have released a Glory Days mark II full of undeniable pop bangers that the public would eat up. Of course, it's hardly experimental darkwave or jazz metal or anything wild, but there feels like there's a bit more risk on this album, they're not relying on the undeniable pop melodies. Wasabi and Strip are very odd for them, shunning traditional pop hallmarks but still feeling like absolute bangers, and it feels like some of the tracks rely on the girls' attitudes and star powered sass rather than great writing or production values that radio will eat up. And whilst this doesn't have highs like Power, Touch or No More Sad Songs from Glory Days, this is perhaps more consistent as an album and really feels like a collection that fits the girls and where they're at now. This proves why they've weathered a storm that's killed many girlbands - they make bloody good pop and they can do it on their terms.

--------

back to the actual countdown oops x

05 Panic! At The Disco - Pray For The Wicked

Highlights: High Hopes, Say Amen (Saturday Night), Roaring 20s, Hey Look Ma I Made It, Dancing's Not A Crime

Kicking off this top 5 is the highest male vocal *.* Panic are a band I really got into this year, after liking them from afar from a while. Say Amen hit me with such a bang and I ended up checking out this album, and I do not regret a thing! This has all the theatricality and drama that you'd expect after Brendon had a Broadway stint, you can really tell that's informed this album and it's all the better for it. High Hopes is as poppy as they've ever been, but it doesn't lost any of that Panic! charm, there's some brilliant vocals on show and a variety of styles, but Brendon fits each one and sells each one as much as the last, and crucially it never feels like a mish mash. It's a cohesive, yet varied collection of great theatrically tinged pop with a rock edge.

04 Janelle Monae - Dirty Computer

Highlights: Make Me Feel, Pynk, Screwed, American, Crazy Classic Life

This is one of the most critically acclaimed albums of the year for a reason *.* A review I read summed this up SO well, saying that it shows that pop and art don't have to be mutually exclusive. In a time like the one we live in, it is so important for an album to be so unapoletically black, queer and feminist, and this does so with incredible musicality. There's such a unique mix of current and even future sounds, with a sci-fi polished sheen at times, with a real classic and organic rockstar vibe, this has been compared a lot to Prince and that's definitely something that's easy to hear. But she's really in her own lane, like any great artist should be, and I can honestly see this being seen as a milestone in decades to come, even if she never gets the commercial success she deserves.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Dec 24 2018, 01:37 AM
Post #24
Brown cow, stunning!

QUOTE(🎄Cqmerqn🎄 @ Dec 21 2018, 06:57 PM) *
Lost My Mind really is a highlight on No Shame wub.gif

wub.gif

QUOTE(sergejdordij98 @ Dec 21 2018, 10:39 PM) *
Hello Liam!
Really like most of the albums, really surprised that you like Francesca Michelin's album!
I thought I was the only one who knows her music!

I looove her she's one of my faves! I like a lot of Italian pop but it's her and Annalisa at the top for me.

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 26 2018, 11:25 AM
Post #25
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

Somehow I hadn't realised that Little Mix had managed to get five singles from this album into the charts laugh.gif Would be interested to see how this does in the long run, Strip only spending two weeks in the Top 100 wasn't a great sign though.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Dec 26 2018, 02:46 PM
Post #26
Brown cow, stunning!

QUOTE(Petivity @ Dec 26 2018, 11:25 AM) *
Somehow I hadn't realised that Little Mix had managed to get five singles from this album into the charts laugh.gif Would be interested to see how this does in the long run, Strip only spending two weeks in the Top 100 wasn't a great sign though.

Tbf that's not the proper single, but yeah I'm unsure how it's all going to go! Think About Us I believe is the single but unlike with Touch for example they haven't just gone full steam ahead with the second single so it feels kind of suspended atm.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Dec 26 2018, 07:55 PM
Post #27
Brown cow, stunning!

03 Carrie Underwood – Cry Pretty

Highlights: Cry Pretty, The Bullet, Love Wins, Southbound, That Song We Used To Make Love To

Carrie absolutely ALWAYS brings it, but artistically this feels like a real step forward for her. Flecks of R&B are all the rage in country at the minute, thanks to the likes of Sam Hunt and Maren Morris, and Carrie has managed to experiment a bit more on this album without losing any of her heart and charm, or that honesty and raw truth that makes for great country. Country can often be a bit muted poitically, and whilst Carrie still shys away from talking about politics in interviews etc. this is a brave record that tackles gun crime and same-sex marriage, as well as the usual topics of love, regret, shame etc. that you’d find in country normally. As a whole album, this just feels like such a moment and one that will likely define her growth as an artist in years to come. The title track is an arena-ready huge rock influenced ballad, The Bullet is devastatingly raw in its take on gun crime, Love Wins is an incredibly uplifting celebration of the love we need and should be focusing on, and Southbound is such a breezy pop bop, perfect for summer, there’s so much on offer here but it all maintains that pure country heart that makes Carrie such a megastar. We even get some hip-hop Carrie in the form of Champion, an NFL anthem that features Ludacris, bop x

02 Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper – A Star Is Born

Highlights: Shallow, I'll Never Love Again, Always Remember Us This Way, Is That Alright?, Hair Body Face

Just missing out on gold is a soundtrack album from the queen of pop, who reached a new level of her superstardom with this. I knew this movie and soundtrack would be great, but I couldn’t have ever dreamed it would be such a moment. It’s not just the music, but the triumph that the film and music have had as well, they’ve really contributed to my love for it. The music is brilliant, there’s a lot of what Gaga brought on Joanne that really worked, that raw and organic vibe that just lets her world class voice do the talking (or singing), on ballads like Shallow and I’ll Never Love Again. When you apply them to the character of Ally and how they fit into her story, it’s all so striking and even when you just listen to the album, you can follow the journey of the film, you rarely want to skip anything because it’s all so good and fits within the structure of the album. Bradley has some great turns here too, and there’s even some bops like Hair Body Face and Why Did You Do That for fans of classic Gaga. This might have cemented her in the film world, but I expect it will inform her musical endeavours from now on too, and I would be totally ok with the best vocalist around right now doing that.

+Quote Post
Calum
post Dec 26 2018, 08:30 PM
Post #28
nabad
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 18,316

Cry Pretty wub.gif A great album, and your highlights are pretty perfect there! Love Wins and Southbound are some of her best I think.

A Star Is Born slaying heart.gif

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Dec 26 2018, 09:10 PM
Post #29
Brown cow, stunning!

01 Kacey Musgraves – Golden Hour

Highlights: Slow Burn, High Horse, Butterflies, Oh What A World, Lonely Weekend

If you’ve paid any attention to my posts (dw I don’t either x) this year this will be no surprise kink.gif Bizarrely, I remember being really disappointed by the era so far when we just had Butterflies and Space Cowboy rotf.gif

This album is just extraordinary, I remember listening for the first time and barely having the words to express what I felt. Every listen, this just grabs me up and whisks me away into some glorious ethereal breezy realm, suspended from real life, and for that 40 minutes or so I’m experiencing every word and emotion Kacey is singing about. The melodies wrap around your ears, it’s such a soothing but affecting listen, that feeling of being so content that you just feel warm about where you are in life. The songwriting is astounding, capturing perfectly things you didn’t know you ever felt, but you know that you felt them as soon as you hear them being sung to you, and the production is exquisite. This is all country, no doubt, but it bends so many genres to craft something that could only be Kacey Musgraves. The songs really linger, and that’s largely due to the way with words and melodies that Kacey has, she crafts it all like magic and the words settle in your brain, pierce your heart and won’t leave you. It may be too early to declare this, but this has to be one of the absolute best albums I’ve ever heard and I will never run out of words to say how bloody incredible it is. I had the pleasure to see it live in October and it was just magical, she's got such a gift.

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Dec 27 2018, 02:07 AM
Post #30
you never forget your first time...
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 13,530

A superb #1 album there Liam, Kacey really brought it with this album! I've really liked her since the debut but this is eaaaasily her most cohesive effort to date heart.gif

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 27 2018, 05:57 PM
Post #31
   No Gallery Pics

I don't think I know much about Kacey Musgraves, giving Slow Burn a listen now, I can see why you're really getting into this, I feel like if I had put it on my playlist then I would have been obsessed a few weeks later laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Riser
post Dec 28 2018, 02:17 PM
Post #32
The horrors persist, but so do I
Member No.: 19,534

Love that entire top 3 to nobody's surprise. Cry Pretty is probably in my top 3 Carrie albums ever, A Star Is Born everyone already knows is a masterpiece, and Golden Hour is easily my #1 of the year as well! AMAZING that Kacey is finally getting some of the attention she deserves...particularly on Buzzjack too which has been great to see!

+Quote Post
SGrey
post Dec 29 2018, 05:30 PM
Post #33
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 20,182

YES @ Interstate Gospel! wub.gif Such a good album!

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Dec 30 2018, 01:56 PM
Post #34
Brown cow, stunning!

QUOTE(JosephCarey @ Dec 27 2018, 02:07 AM) *
A superb #1 album there Liam, Kacey really brought it with this album! I've really liked her since the debut but this is eaaaasily her most cohesive effort to date heart.gif

Definitely, always loved her but this is just another level wub.gif

QUOTE(Petivity @ Dec 27 2018, 05:57 PM) *
I don't think I know much about Kacey Musgraves, giving Slow Burn a listen now, I can see why you're really getting into this, I feel like if I had put it on my playlist then I would have been obsessed a few weeks later laugh.gif

A slow burner indeed kink.gif

QUOTE(Riser @ Dec 28 2018, 02:17 PM) *
Love that entire top 3 to nobody's surprise. Cry Pretty is probably in my top 3 Carrie albums ever, A Star Is Born everyone already knows is a masterpiece, and Golden Hour is easily my #1 of the year as well! AMAZING that Kacey is finally getting some of the attention she deserves...particularly on Buzzjack too which has been great to see!

100%, I pray she gets the Grammy for it to top it off <3

QUOTE(SGrey @ Dec 29 2018, 05:30 PM) *
YES @ Interstate Gospel! wub.gif Such a good album!

Yaass, glad someone else on here loves it! wub.gif

+Quote Post
SGrey
post Dec 30 2018, 05:58 PM
Post #35
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 20,182

QUOTE(Liаm @ Dec 30 2018, 01:56 PM) *
Yaass, glad someone else on here loves it! wub.gif

I know Miranda Lambert is the established one of the three but I genuinely couldn't find a topic on about them so thought nobody would know them! laugh.gif

The title track, Cheyenne, When I Was His Wife, Got My Name Changed Back and Best Years Of My Life are all 10/10!

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Dec 31 2018, 01:39 AM
Post #36
Brown cow, stunning!

QUOTE(SGrey @ Dec 30 2018, 05:58 PM) *
I know Miranda Lambert is the established one of the three but I genuinely couldn't find a topic on about them so thought nobody would know them! laugh.gif

The title track, Cheyenne, When I Was His Wife, Got My Name Changed Back and Best Years Of My Life are all 10/10!

I always start Miranda ones and get nobody commenting or I'd have started it kink.gif

yesss <3

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Dec 31 2018, 01:52 AM
Post #37
Brown cow, stunning!

Let's get the singles started then! biggrin.gif

200 Lea Sirk – Hvala, ne!
199 Jasmine Sandlas – Sip Sip
198 Little Mix - Motivate
197 Benjamin Ingrosso - Dance You Off
196 Jennifer Lopez ft. DJ Khaled & Cardi B - Dinero
195 Ziv Zaifman - A Million Dreams
194 Sofi Tukker - Batshit
193 Loona (Olivia Hye) - Egoist
192 Bebe Rexha - Ferrari
191 Ellie Goulding & Diplo ft. Swae Lee - Close To Me

Hvala ne kicks us off, the first of many Eurovision adjacent songs. This was Slovenia's entry, after a couple of years of DNQ flops it returned them to the final. It's really nothing shining or outstanding, but a really catchy solid pop song that used a "oh no the sound's gone sing for me1!!1" gimmick despite it hardly being a fan fave, that did work out though!
Sip Sip is the first of many BJSC adjacent tracks, this time from D'yermak'er aka Haus. This is a Punjabi BANGER which I believe has been quite a hit around parties etc. for that community, and I can see why, it's so catchy and I can imagine everyone proper getting their life to it after a few too many at a wedding or family party.
Motivate reminds me a lot of I Like It by Cardi B, but done in a way that feels very Little Mix and really anchors itself as a highlight of their latest album, it's current and on trend but isn't trying *too* hard.
Dance You Off is another Eurovision entry, this time for Sweden. This bombed in the televote, and was a bit of a flop for Sweden. I initally resented it for being YET ANOTHER pretty male representing Sweden, beating some great female pop (bloody app voters x), but this is such a slick and polished piece of pop that was performed so well, robbed of a higher finish tbh.
Dinero features THE DEVIL WOMAN (who has one song still to come oops), but it's SO catchy and trashy I have to love it. Really it's a mess, but it's all the more enjoyable for it. DJ Khaled isn't really needed but hey when is he? kink.gif
A Million Dreams is the first of two versions in this countdown ohmy.gif Come thru A Million Dreams - Reprise xxx This is a really lovely song and is even better in the moment during the film, normally kids have quite annoying voices but this is really really nice.
Batshit is exactly as the title says, a bit odd but so so good for it. The female vocals as always are great, but the Right Said Fred esque interjections really make this song for me laugh.gif
Egoist is one of the few songs Loona deserve the hype for (oops) x It's really slick and cool but still has a bit of that cutesy charm you want from K-Pop, it melds both in such a great way and makes for such an easy and satisfying listen.
Ferrari makes sure the country queen is represented here xx Despite being an absolute dumpster fire of a person, this shows exactly what her voice can do, I love it on songs like this, it shows all the quirks and strengths of her voice without it straining or going to waste.
Close To Me rounds off this section, a fairly recent release! It's not Ellie's best or most unique song, but it's pretty much what you'd expect from a very good Ellie song that's quite Spotify and fitting in 2018.

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Jan 1 2019, 11:36 AM
Post #38
   No Gallery Pics

Hvala Ne didn't really resonate with me but it was a nice enough song from what I remember! A Million Dreams was a great song from TGS as well

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Jan 2 2019, 07:02 PM
Post #39
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

I really like Dinero.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jan 3 2019, 03:25 PM
Post #40
Brown cow, stunning!

190 Francesca Michielin - Lava
189 Marshmello ft. Anne-Marie - FRIENDS
188 Bradley Cooper - Maybe It's Time
187 Rina Sawamaya - Cherry
186 Twenty One Pilots - Neon Gravestone
185 Sigrid - Sucker Punch
184 Years & Years - If You're Over Me
183 Ghost Voices - Virtual Self
182 Post Malone - Stay
181 BTS - Idol

Lava is the first of a few Francesca tracks to appear, the only track on her album 2640 in English. It's visceral and cool, feels quite different to the rest of the album (not just because of the language, but also the slightly R&Bish beat), but not so that it doesn't fit in the tracklist.
FRIENDS was a huge hit for Marshemello and an artist I've been quite critical of, Anne-Marie. It's really nothing revolutionary, but so so catchy and piercingly sassy which I kinda love.
Maybe It's Time kicks off what I can reveal is many A Star Is Born tracks, the only one by solely Bradley Cooper to appear. This is a really lovely country track and he completely sells the whole story, every word, which is astoudning for someone who's not usually a singer.
Cherry is the best thing I've heard so far from blog darling Rina, a perfect melding of turn of the century nostalgia and forward thinking pop. She manages to bring that classic sounds we all know right up to date without butchering them or losing them.
Neon Gravestones is one of the highlights from the latest TOP album, although it was quite controversial in its depiction of suicide. I think the message is right - not to glorify the actual act because someone did it and it got attention and became a news story. As always, Tyler brings alive such a personal and touching message so that it resonates with us all.
Sucker Punch wasn't quite the "punch" that Strangers was but it's stll a pop triumph for Sigrid! Its power-pop sound really hits you and I often find it stuck in my head even if it took a while to click with me.
If You're Over Me got a bit of flack for being a bit plinky-plonky, but I love that production flourish and it stands out really well on the album! I can see why it was a hit.
Virtual Self is an absolute banger, I'm usually not a fan of instrumental dance music but it's just lush and feels like it has so many layers to discover each time you listen without being too much or a mess.
Stay recalled I Fall Apart from Post Malone but naturally it was instantly one of my highlights from Beerbongs & Bentleys. I think Post is at his best on rawer songs like this, his voice isn't perfect but it's honest and affecting on a track like this.
Idol rounds off this section, strictly the solo version none of this Trashi Minaj shit xx *insert Trinity Taylor "I have no idea what she's saying but I'm getting my life" gif* This is just a banger, I love the production and it's the first time I've properly loved a BTS song and got their hype!

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:57 PM