BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Owl City - Cinematic, Out 01/06/2018
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
mdh
post Jun 13 2017, 03:26 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Members
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

New single from Owl City called Not All Heroes Wear Capes released this Friday, 16th June.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Jun 13 2017, 05:03 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

Cringe.

+Quote Post
Cody Scobell
post Jun 13 2017, 05:12 PM
Post #3
Cause if looks could kill, we wouldn’t want to be Dan Humphrey
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

Jacob and Spadam SHOOK

+Quote Post
TNSEL AND WIRED™
post Jun 13 2017, 05:26 PM
Post #4
controversial biege i mean relic of buzzjack
Member No.: 21,005

QUOTE(Cody S. Berry @ Jun 13 2017, 06:12 PM) *
Jacob and Spadam SHOOK
It's obviously great to hear something new from him, but, country isn't really what I was hoping for laugh.gif hopefully the album isn't going to have a lot of this sort of thing, although Humbug wasn't much different in some aspects (but comparing it to the preview it's still better by a fair margin)

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Jun 15 2017, 11:52 PM
Post #5
rip in peace Dickston
Member No.: 25,045
   No Gallery Pics

wub.gifwub.gif

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Jun 16 2017, 12:05 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=201812

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Jun 16 2017, 05:32 PM
Post #7
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929
   No Gallery Pics

I want to know why TWO people thought Owl City now goes in the indie forum.

(okay, okay, this is way more acoustic than his past stuff but if past form is anything to go by it won't stay that way)

song's k if a bit sub-Plain White Ts, it's clearly riding on its lyrical content which is sweet, I guess.

+Quote Post
mdh
post Jun 16 2017, 05:38 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Iz~ @ Jun 16 2017, 06:32 PM) *
I want to know why TWO people thought Owl City now goes in the indie forum.

(okay, okay, this is way more acoustic than his past stuff but if past form is anything to go by it won't stay that way)

song's k if a bit sub-Plain White Ts, it's clearly riding on its lyrical content which is sweet, I guess.

Well this thread is solely for the individual song - and the preview sounded a LOT more indie than pop so I'd say it belongs here tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Jun 16 2017, 05:59 PM
Post #9
   No Gallery Pics

can guarantee that if he was a girl this'd be a certain Pop post though. although let's be real 90% of what's posted in this forum is pop with a guitar., pop with 'unusual' synths or pop with a reedy voice - I like that stuff but it's the truth, and I've only gone in on OC because he's always been a pop post (to get immediately buried) in the past.

and the practice is keep all songs by artists to one forum but I only care enough to write posts about it and not to do actual moderator work about it so w/e, if the indie mods want to move it it's on them.

+Quote Post
TNSEL AND WIRED™
post Jun 16 2017, 06:03 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(mdh @ Jun 16 2017, 06:38 PM) *
Well this thread is solely for the individual song - and the preview sounded a LOT more indie than pop so I'd say it belongs here tongue.gif
I think the general "rule" is once an artist is usually following a certain genre, all future threads discussing the artist is in the same forum regardless of the genre, I think.

Growing to this a bit, especially this acoustic version which sounds more exciting:

(also yay at him FINALLY ditching the blonde)

This post has been edited by Spinning Allie: Jun 16 2017, 06:04 PM

+Quote Post
mdh
post Jun 16 2017, 06:09 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Right. The mods can move it if they please, that's cool, but from my perspective this was an indie song judging by the (VERY vague) 15 second clip. I'm not saying that Owl City is an indie act or anything, it just felt right to categorise it in indie for the time being.

(also considering I've listened to barely any of his stuff let alone shown even the most fleeting of interests in him on Buzzjack, there was no way for me to know he was a pop act primarily..)

+Quote Post
TNSEL AND WIRED™
post Jun 16 2017, 06:12 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(mdh @ Jun 16 2017, 07:09 PM) *
(also considering I've listened to barely any of his stuff let alone shown even the most fleeting of interests in him on Buzzjack, there was no way for me to know he was a pop act primarily..)
Listening to All Things Bright And Beautiful and previous (and Ultraviolet really) is probably a more accurate definition of 'Owl City' than this tongue.gif

also: Owl City is too unique to be considered Pop imo ph34r.gif

This post has been edited by Spinning Allie: Jun 16 2017, 06:14 PM

+Quote Post
TheSnake
post Jun 16 2017, 07:33 PM
Post #13
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
Group: Memberrs
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Spinning Allie @ Jun 16 2017, 07:03 PM) *
I think the general "rule" is once an artist is usually following a certain genre, all future threads discussing the artist is in the same forum regardless of the genre, I think.

Hence Chainsmokers - Paris being in dance when it isn't a dance song, and also Calvin Harris' latest two singles being in dance rather than R&B and urban where they should be genre wise.

I am up for changing that rule tbh.

Btw the song is quite good imo.

I guess it's a bit like the likes of Nizlopi - JCB song with its sentimental lyrics, especially as it is about the same theme, a father.

This post has been edited by Spinfanny: Jun 16 2017, 07:39 PM

+Quote Post
TNSEL AND WIRED™
post Jun 16 2017, 07:40 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(Spinfanny @ Jun 16 2017, 08:33 PM) *
Hence Chainsmokers - Paris being in dance when it isn't a dance song, and also Calvin Harris' latest two singles being in dance rather than R&B and urban where they should be genre wise.

I am up for changing that rule tbh.

Btw the song is quite good imo.
I guess it's a bit like the likes of Nizlopi - JCB song with its sentimental lyrics, especially as it is about the same theme, a father.
I know why the rule exists though, example being if you want to find a list of threads for an artist who likes to experiment with multiple genres, especially if it's an album thread with multiple genre tracks, or you're doing a rate or general thread for the artist, it's just easier having it all in one place.

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Jun 16 2017, 08:00 PM
Post #15
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Spinning Allie @ Jun 16 2017, 08:40 PM) *
I know why the rule exists though, example being if you want to find a list of threads for an artist who likes to experiment with multiple genres, especially if it's an album thread with multiple genre tracks, or you're doing a rate or general thread for the artist, it's just easier having it all in one place.

Exactly. It's for ease of use and so we don't have multiple threads started in different forums every time someone does a bit of pleasant artist experimentation. The forums aren't meant to autistically categorise every new release ever (we'd need jazz, country, folk, classical and metal if we wanted to do that (and most of those now get lumped in here if anything)), they're meant to group similar types of music so that people know what forums they're likely to find stuff they like in.

hence while I don't consider Lorde/Marina/Coldplay/Oh Wonder/modern-day Paramore indie in the slightest I'm not really calling for them to be kicked into pop because I recognise that they have that slant and that they likely appeal to the posters who check in here more often, I never check in Pop these days as I'm not interested in most of the stuff that's there. Owl City doesn't really have that slant and he's been the definition of geek-pop for the last few years, a less credible and more synth-heavy Death Cab as he was, but he's clearly doing his own thing now and he may have changed tack completely so I/indie mods will make an OFFICIAL decision (as much as it matters) once I hear more.

+Quote Post
TNSEL AND WIRED™
post Sep 8 2017, 11:20 PM
Post #16

I'd recommended to keep all the #OwlCity2017 releases in one thread (when the next album eventually drops threads can possibly divide then) but Adam has FINALLY released the final version of Clap Your Hands, which appears in the credits for the game (not a film this time ohmy.gif ) Everybody's Golf.

If it wasn't uploaded on snydergurl I would have thought it was fake as the beginning sounds just like Taino Cruz - Dynamite laugh.gif otherwise it's another fab mainstream pop track. Very Live It Up from The Smurfs music.gif after this and Waving Through A Window the misconception that his old self is gone is totally dead (well maybe pre Ocean Eyes is but that's understandable)

Also forgot to share the previous song, very Ultraviolet which is a very good thing wub.gif it's a cover from the Dear Evan Hansen musical (never heard of ha). Can deffo relate to the lyrics too kink.gif

And if you want to stay updated (and converse with a much bigger fan base than on here laugh.gif ) check out Owl City on Reddit wink.gif

+Quote Post
Jacob-
post Sep 9 2017, 12:42 AM
Post #17
Jacob Alan~
Member No.: 21,664
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(ReyOfSpunShine @ Jun 13 2017, 06:26 PM) *
It's obviously great to hear something new from him, but, country isn't really what I was hoping for laugh.gif hopefully the album isn't going to have a lot of this sort of thing, although Humbug wasn't much different in some aspects (but comparing it to the preview it's still better by a fair margin)
I was actually hoping for more of that kind of sound, I'd love to hear some more Sky Sailing esque stuff. Just heard Clap Your Hands and tbh I was hoping he'd outgrown that super overproduced pop sound (especially after the year's break from OC to work on scores), it worked in certain instances on Mobile Orchestra but personally I'd love to hear him either play around with a guitar sound (acoustic or rocky) or hear something more similar to ATBAB or before- not that I want him to regress but it's starting to feel like he's pigeon-holing himself into that kind of sound, it started on TMS and appeared a lot on MO and the singles in between. Of course he still comes out with different stuff like This Isn't The End and ofc Not All Heroes Wear capes (to name a couple) but surely he can do so much more with his sound.

Matt Thiessen co-wrote Clap Your Hands as well apparently, one of my favourite songwriters (and leads for a favourite band), though I suppose it's adapted for that sound. I mean it's not a bad song but it's not that interesting for OC either. Hoping it's a residual of his older sound (seeing as it looks like it's an older song that's only just been released) and we'll get something fresh for the new album.

Already heard Waving Through A Window and I was a fan of that one. x

----

Note: I've renamed the thread so all new/ upcoming Owl City discussion can be in here.

+Quote Post
TNSEL AND WIRED™
post Sep 9 2017, 08:47 AM
Post #18

NAHWC was a grower for me. tbh the best outcome is to have a really varied album with different sounds and styles. I think MO only did this to an extent and TMS although I loved that was EDM in nearly every song. ATBAB is my favourite one reason being how many different styles he put into it, dance, rap etc. His poppy sound is usually only reserved for the film soundtracks anyway so I don't think that kind of thing is going to appear on the album. No idea if any of the three songs out this year will either, I don't mind either way I just want more Adam kink.gif

Also any objections to an off topic thread for the Owl ph34r.gif

This post has been edited by Spin: Sep 9 2017, 09:03 AM

+Quote Post
TNSEL AND WIRED™
post Oct 6 2017, 11:52 AM
Post #19

https://mnfilmtv.org/hotline/view_announcement?id=1857

So it looks like we'll get three music videos in a couple of months time cheer.gif this could also mean he's releasing the album earlier than I expected (Spring 2018?)

If only I lived in the US, I would be filling that form like lightning *.*

+Quote Post
Jacob-
post Oct 9 2017, 11:01 PM
Post #20
Jacob Alan~
Member No.: 21,664
   No Gallery Pics

^Edited your post from Spring 2017 to Spring 2018 because I'm sure that's what you meant. These mod powers. laugh.gif

Would probably do the same tbh, hyped though! Looking forward to hearing new OC and what his sound might be like now.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:22 AM