BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jupiter's 14th Top 40 so far this month
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post Nov 17 2016, 02:44 PM
Post #1
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
Clean Bandit ascend to the top spot along with Sean Paul and Anne-Marie. A surprise comeback for Mr Paul, now nearly 20 years into his career, as much as it is an unlikely surge for Anne-Marie, who's had a middlingly positive year. About the same as most new acts who've tried to break through this year really - a top 20 is generally the best anyone but a well-established artist or dance act can hope for. Capsize and Inna's Say It With Your Body also enter this week's top 10. The former sees a surge after first reaching my attention at the start of the year, while the latter simply goes the way of most of Inna's latest releases; managing to be completely on-point with a current and trendy sound. She's - or her longtime producers are! - very underrated. The top 20 also sees a few new entries, and there's some more further down the other end of the chart. More on those in the next post; the top 40 up to mid-November goes like:

01 Clean Bandit ft. Sean Paul + Anne-Marie - Rockabye [9-2-1]
02 Sabrina Carpenter - Run and Hide [1-1-2]
03 Inna - Say It With Your Body [21-13-3]
04 Lucian ft. Beth Duck - Calm Waters [12-5-4]
05 Jones - Wild [34-22-12-10-8-5]
06 Empire of the Sun - Way To Go [40-10-6]
07 Frenship ft. Emily Warren - Capsize [33-X4-26-7]
08 M0 - Drum [5-4-6-8]
09 Hayley Kiyoko - Gravel to Tempo [17-7-2-4-9]
10 OneRepublic - Kids [13-9-10]
11 Zara Larsson - Ain't My Fault [14-7-11]
12 Dragonette - Body 2 Body [N]
13 The Tapes - You Know It's Real [N]
14 Peking Duk ft. Elliphant - Stranger [N]
15 Ren Phillips x Wide Awake ft. Namuli - Blue Ruin [25-14-15]
16 Anne-Marie - Boy [28-16-16]
17 Shura - What's It Gonna Be? [22-17]
18 Tove Lo - True Disaster [35-17-18]
19 AlunaGeorge - Mediator [39-15-9-15-X3-29-19]
20 Empire of the Sun - There's No Need [24-20]
21 Joan As Police Woman - Overloaded [N]
22 Kaiser Chiefs - Why Do You Do It To Me? [38-13-7-11-22]
23 Empire of the Sun - To Her Door [3-1-3-3-23]
24 Major Lazer ft. Justin Bieber + M0 - Cold Water [10-11-X10-28-24]
25 Lady Gaga - John Wayne [25-25]
26 Max Frost - Adderall [N]
27 Jonas Blue ft. Raye - By Your Side [27-27]
28 Two Door Cinema Club - Lavender [23-19-28]
29 The Midnight - The Comeback Kid [N]
30 Red Hot Chili Peppers - Encore [34-22-X7-30]
31 Gold Spectacles - What We Might Have Been [38-34-X9-31]
32 Veronicas - On Your Side [38-33-32]
33 HyunA - How's This? [11-8-16-X5-36-33]
34 GoodLuck - Find Me In The Forest [N]
35 Kungs ft. Ephemerals - I Feel So Bad [39-35]
36 Girl Blue - Fire Under Water [40-29-16-18-36]
37 George Maple - Lover [7-4-5-12-37]
38 Fareoh ft. Katelyn Tarver - Illegal [N]
39 Grace - Say [R]
40 Wide Awake ft. Lovelle - Young God [32-24-37-40]

#1s this year:
AlunaGeorge - Mean What I Mean (1)
Britney Spears - Make Me (1)
Tove Lo - Cool Girl (2)
Clean Bandit ft. Louisa Johnson - Tears (1)
Dev ft. Nef the Pharaoh - #1 (1)
Empire Of The Sun - High And Low (1)
YoungR - Out Of My System (2)
Noonie Bao - Reminds Me (1)
Empire Of The Sun - To Her Door (1)
Sabrina Carpenter – Run and Hide (2)
Clean Bandit ft. Sean Paul + Anne-Marie - Rockabye (~)

Spotify Link to the playlist in full this week: click right here

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: Nov 17 2016, 02:44 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post Nov 17 2016, 02:48 PM
Post #2
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
New entries! New entries! Something last week was devoid of! I actually listened to hardly any music last week – the demands of an over 50 hour set do that to you, exacerbated by podcasts helping me get through it rather than tunes. A few high debuts at the upper reach of the chart while other more recent ones from the last few, either stall, or maintain around the same position, continuing to hold steady and support themselves, depending on whether you’re a glass half full or half empty kinda person.

Rockabye ascends to #1 this week, coincidentally following a frankly embarrassing MOBO performance where Clean Bandit decided to replace Sean Paul with a pair of embarrassingly loud magenta trousers. They’ve recently reduced to a three-piece, sadly keeping their ever-grumpy frontwoman who always seems annoyed to be upstaged by their featured vocalists. A few re-entries come this week from Red Hot Chili Peppers (Encore) and Gold Spectacles (What We Might Have Been), while Empire of the Sun become the first act to triple up in the top 40 following the release of new album Two Vines. Probably not the last this year though, as we move into the release-heavy fourth quarter of the year in the run-up to Xmas. And now coming up, selected links for this week for those who so desire to check out:

Dragonette and myself have a fractured chart history. Like many of us in the UK I first came across them with Martin Solveig about…six or seven years ago now I’d say, on Hello, featuring a memorable tennis themed music video. They dropped a little off the map after that, but have seen resurgences on my personal charts alongside Kaskade (on the funky Waste Love) in 2012 and more recently, with their own Rocket Ship in 2014. I wouldn’t call myself a fan exactly, but they’ve been on my radar and seem to have made a few forays into dance/EDM music following their success with Solveig, to varying results. This one’s a little different, but still retains their signature sound, a bit like a sped-up, more earnest, but less serious Metric. Coming in at #12, it’s this week’s highest debut.

Random discovery indie band of the week see the second highest debut this week. The Tapes are an Australian duo and are another discovery initially from Spotify; this one's apparently their second release, ever. I’m going to be compiling a playlist soon of all my under-the-radar, random indie band discoveries this year – partly to prove wrong my grumpy dad who’s always grumbling about music these days being only pop, and there being no new indie bands. It’s just a fractured music scene these days, I think! #13 debut this week for The Tapes.

I’m up and down on Elliphant. She’s generally struck me as someone trying by turn to be not-white and to be M0, which jars even more since M0 hit the big time following Lean On, and now Final Song and Cold Water. Peking Duk I know best from a remix with excessive ‘Sexy Sax’ which made the rounds on my soundtracks for February earlier on this year. Needless to say I’m surprised to see either artist having a successful sequel that catches me so much, but here we are. There’s a bit of Galantis, maybe even a bit of Flume to this, and of course, a lot of M0 as previously said, but hey – the lady herself has been taking a step away from that sound, so I’m not too offended on her behalf. #14 debut for Stranger by Peking Duk featuring Elliphant, this week.

Joan As Police Woman, what an excellent stage name, if bizarre. There’s an alternative, Linda Perry feeling to this one with a great slightly glitchy, off-piste instrumentation. Also makes me think a little of John Grant and The National, but with a woman doing the vocals. I’ve heard of Joan before, but this is the first of her tracks that’s made it on to a playlist and moved to being played on the regular. This week, debuting at #21.

Max Frost charts his second chart hit and first this year with Adderall. Intoxication was the theme of his last hit, for this one he’s moved onto the harder stuff, clearly. My first comparison that came to mind for Max Frost was Willy Moon, before I remembered that he’s now better known for drama than music – and for being the first person to wear a suit on live TV, apparently. This is pretty pop/light pop rock I guess, not as bubblegum/inoffensive as pop is in the mainstream nowadays, but nothing too shocking either. You could see it sung by a singer in a pub. #26 for this one this week.

This had better appear on a soundtrack soon. Getting ET or even Stranger Things (no spoilers, I just started it) vibes from this video; triumphant and synthy, 80s, throwback, gives a happy, nostalgic feeling when listening to it. Most of you are, of course, probably too young for actual nostalgia, but the feeling’s there nonetheless. I guess this is a bit like Capital Cities, even Walk The Moon Shut Up and Dance, for a modern comparison. You could easily see it in an 80s teen movie. The Comeback Kid by The Midnight, from album Endless Summer, shoots in this week at #29.

It’s around this time last year that Grace’s You Don’t Own Me (a cover, not an original, but still) was getting blasted on the radio and even on the X Factor, and everything seemed primed for the singer’s career to take off. Let’s just say it’s still a work in progress. Album FMA, which I’m far too old and out of it to know what that stands for, released earlier this year and was pretty quietly received. The classic R&B styling of track Say caught me on first listen, and it’s stayed my standout. This week sees it sneak back in to the top 40; it’s been a dweller of the lower levels for a while now throughout the year, and will probably end up in my countdown of the year by building up plays in dribs and drabs. Look out for that starting around December!

That’s us for this week folks. I’m going to actually try and follow-up and check other people’s charts more this week now I’m less swamped with work! As ever, questions and comments, opinions and judgements are welcome wink.gif

+Quote this post
awardinary
post Nov 19 2016, 01:04 AM
Post #3
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587
Hey Jupiter,

A great result for Clean Bandit who have reached #1 officially too, it's a great track isn't it. smile.gif

Nice to see Capsize doing well here too.

Also, as you probably know by now, I like to persuade others to view my own personal chart and if possible share a comment on their opinions, so if you haven't already done so, please be sure to check out my latest chart HERE. I'd love to hear your views! smile.gif

Very nice personal chart from you this week, thanks for sharing! cool.gif

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:40 AM