BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Barbra Streisand says A Star Is Born remake was "wrong idea"
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
HausofKubrick
post 16th August 2021, 09:57 PM
Post #1
Group icon
User: 13,007

Barbra Streisand may be changing her tune on Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga’s “A Star Is Born.”

The singer and actor, who starred in the 1976 version of “A Star Is Born,” said in a new interview about the 2018 remake, “At first, when I heard it was going to be done again, it was supposed to be Will Smith and Beyoncé, and I thought, that’s interesting. Really make it different again, different kind of music, integrated actors, I thought that was a great idea. So, I was surprised when I saw how alike it was to the version that I did in 1976.”

While on the Australian talk show “The Sunday Project,” Streisand said she thought the remake (of a remake of a remake) was “the wrong idea,” but that she “can’t argue with success.” Gaga won her first Academy Award, and the film received a best picture nomination and grossed $436 million, churning out a No. 1 hit single — the singalong duet “Shallow” — in the process. Nonetheless, Streisand added, “I don’t care so much about success as I do originality.”

Before Streisand starred opposite Kris Kristofferson in the 1976 iteration of “A Star Is Born,” the story featured Janet Gaynor and Fredric March in 1937 and Judy Garland and James Mason in 1954.

During the 2018 movie’s press cycle, both Cooper and Gaga praised Streisand, who apparently gave the two actors her blessing. Despite her new remarks, Streisand had long praised Cooper and Gaga’s version of the story, telling Extra in 2018, “I loved it. I think it’s wonderful. [Gaga is]wonderful.”

That same year, Streisand told Variety, “It’s good. I don’t want to talk about it because I don’t want to spook it. I can’t believe that was 40-some years ago. I think [director Cooper] did a wonderful job with [Gaga]. I thought when it was going to be done it was going to be very different and have a multiracial cast, and the music was going to be rap. But it’s more like the movie I made.”

Thoughts? Gaga.png
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 16th August 2021, 09:59 PM
Post #2
Group icon

It's a shame that she thinks this now, given at the time of the film's production and release she was supportive of it. I wonder what changed her mind?

She is pressed about the fact it lacks originality and is a remake that remains fairly true to her version... which in itself is a remake of an earlier iteration too blink.gif wacko.gif

+Quote this post
Adelita
post 16th August 2021, 11:12 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 82,234

She's just jealous of Gaga because she wanted to star in the remake again, too late for you Babs, sorry x

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 17th August 2021, 09:25 AM
Post #4
Group icon

Was it really that much of a "wrong idea":

Really?

+Quote this post
Adelita
post 17th August 2021, 11:27 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 82,234

Barbra was the only actress out of all versions of ASIB not to be nominated for Best Actress at the Oscars, I understand her unfortunate statement king.gif

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post 17th August 2021, 12:09 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275

That sounds a bit petty even though she might not meant it that way. It's also very unnecessary.

+Quote this post
inactiveaccount
post 18th August 2021, 10:33 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 1,030

Oh Barbra is just trying to be a BLM ally. She certainly had no such opinion when they were filming and even went to the set

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 18th August 2021, 03:22 PM
Post #8
Group icon

coffee.gif

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread