BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Joseph's Twink Pop Recommendations, it had to happen
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
JosephBoone
post 3rd March 2019, 04:20 PM
Post #1
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

I seem to be the EXPERT at finding great pop songs by males in their late teens and early 20s so hey, here's a thread for me to post all of them, cause we all know they'd get a collective 5 replies in their own threads if they get lucky x

Starting off with three new releases from the Friday just gone!

Alexander Stewart
Backwards

Alexander Stewart has built up a small following on social media through a large amount of covers, all of which are available on YouTube, iTunes and Spotify. Last year, he released his first original track Enamorado, a great, vibrant pop song with a very catchy chorus. Best Damn Thing followed in December, a song which channelled songs like Style by Taylor Swift and really showed Alexander's potential as a popstar. Now he's released single #3, Backwards. It's got a really strong chorus and some pretty great production. Melodically, it reminds me a bit of Rixton's Me & My Broken Heart. Well worth a listen!

Joel Adams
A Big World

One of my BJSC entries from 2016, Joel Adams' Please Don't Go went on to become a silver-certified #50 hit in the UK thanks to exposure from Hot Hits UK. It was pretty much radio silence after that, as his independent label seemed to use his hit single as a promotional tool for themselves instead. Now Joel's got a new independent label and released his first single in 2 years, Fake Friends, last year. The gap is much smaller this time - five months later, we have A Big World. It's Joel's slowest track to date but it's cute, reminiscing about growing up.

AJ Mitchell
All My Friends

17 year old AJ Mitchell has been releasing music for two years now, with songs including the heartfelt I Don't Want You Back and the catchy No Plans making it onto Spotify playlists. Now he's released his best track so far in the form of All My Friends. It's on-trend with production, and emotional lyrically. I found No Plans pretty solid but this is a big big step up!

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
-0-0
post 3rd March 2019, 04:21 PM
Post #2
Group icon
🙄
User: 10,643

DELETE.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 3rd March 2019, 04:21 PM
Post #3
Group icon

QUOTE(Wall @ Mar 3 2019, 04:21 PM) *
DELETE.

What, you?

+Quote this post
Oricon
post 3rd March 2019, 04:36 PM
Post #4
Group icon
bye dinner
User: 12,972

ny2 not more twinkness from Joey

(Although some are good 👀)

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 3rd March 2019, 04:40 PM
Post #5
Group icon

QUOTE(Oricon @ Mar 3 2019, 04:36 PM) *
ny2 not more twinkness from Joey

(Although some are good 👀)

My twinks are always good *.*

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 3rd March 2019, 04:40 PM
Post #6
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

Having none of this thanks!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 3rd March 2019, 04:42 PM
Post #7
Group icon

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Mar 3 2019, 04:40 PM) *
Having none of this thanks!

Your loss tbh x

+Quote this post
ElectroBoy
post 3rd March 2019, 09:19 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 3,002

Excellent idea for a thread in all its twinky glory

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 8th March 2019, 06:26 PM
Post #9
Group icon

Greyson Chance
timekeeper

It's been almost eight years since Greyson released his debut album Hold On 'Til the Night, one of my all-time favourite albums, and he's still not released that sophomore album, but it's finally coming next Friday. The first single from portraits came a few weeks ago, and shut up proved itself to be Greyson's best in a loooong time (I'd say at least since 2012's Sunshine & City Lights). Now promo track timekeeper is out, and it builds on the sound of shut up. It's not quite as good, and much more of an "album track", but it's well worth a listen. The difference in maturity between Greyson's two albums is going to be pretty drastic, and all for the best! Roll on next Friday.

Jai Waetford featuring Camouflage Rose
Honestly

Australian popstar Jai Waetford has been on my radar for a long time. Much like Greyson, I heard of him when he was pretty young. Debut single Your Eyes, released after Jai was on The X Factor Australia, is a cute little track, but he's excelled with some moody pop since then on tracks like Drunk Together and Champagne and tropical pop like Living Not Dreaming. Honestly is his new single, and his best release in a little while for me. The production is great and it stands out from his other recent tracks which had started to blend into one.

Max & Harvey
Coming Soon - EP

I found out about these British twins when they supported HRVY last December, and quite enjoyed the low key bop of Trade Hearts. Their debut EP is out now, including Trade Hearts as well as two brand new songs: Nervous and Where Were You. Both are solid pop songs, although I think the best is still to come with these guys!

+Quote this post
Calum
post 8th March 2019, 06:33 PM
Post #10
Group icon
nabad
User: 18,316

I'm here for this thread *.*

Recently came across AJ Mitchell through Discover on Spotify, All My Friends is amazing (as well as his past few singles) wub.gif

Honestly is probably Jai's best in a while seeing as his singles in 2018 were all very hit and miss.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 8th March 2019, 06:43 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308

So twink just refers to pop music sung by pop stars in their late teens or early twenties. I'm disappointed. sad.gif

I was thinking before I opened this thread that twink pop was a subgenre of pop I had never heard of before, I was imagining it was a leftfield variety of pop with weird minimalistic production consisting of beeping sounds (which were the 'twinks'). Sort of like PC Music but more minimal and with normal pop vocals.

This post has been edited by T'Snerk: 8th March 2019, 06:47 PM

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 15th March 2019, 09:55 PM
Post #12
Group icon

HRVY
Told You So

HRVY is becoming pretty reliable for a solid pop tune these days. Of course, his two UK top 100 hits lead the way - Personal and Hasta Luego - but delving into his releases so far unleashes a whole load more. Holiday and La La La (Means I Love You) from the first EP, Talk to Ya from the second, I Wish You Were Here from the forthcoming album, and Somebody, his collaboration with Sigala and Nina Nesbitt that really does pop off live. Told You So is the latest addition, and it's a pretty safe tropical bop that's bound to secure HRVY some solid playlist support, particularly as he's playing Radio 1's Big Weekend. HRVY's star is rising, and Told You So could well be in with a shot of becoming his first UK top 40 - let's hope so!

levi
What You Had

Formerly a member of The Tide, Levi Jones has been releasing some solo music for a short while now. He teamed up with his Tide bandmate Drew Dirksen for their duo project O.D.L., which seems to have stopped after two singles, and is now releasing his own self-produced music through Soundcloud. What You Had is by far his best track so far. It sees Levi baring his soul on a personal track where the emotion shines through in his voice. The production is really great too, and it highlights the potential Levi's always had as a musician.

Greyson Chance
portraits

This album has been eight years in the waiting. Greyson's debut album Hold On 'Til the Night came out in 2011 when he was 13 years old, and I absolutely love it. However, Greyson's changed a lot since then. He's released two EPs, come out as gay, and developed a whole new sound that makes HOTTN feel like a lifetime ago. Greyson even quit music for a while in 2016, but soon found his way back with his love of music prevailing. The result is finally here, and portraits is his most self-assured piece of work so far. Greyson is unashamedly himself as he sings about falling in love openly and truly across the 12 track album, which is sure to be a contender for my album of the year 2019. Give it a spin if you enjoy the lead single (track 1, shut up)!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 22nd March 2019, 11:45 PM
Post #13
Group icon

froy
Fix Me

Most known as an actor in Teen Wolf and One Day at a Time, Froy Gutierrez has been working on music for a while, releasing his debut single sideswipe last year. However, sideswipe got removed from social media platforms at the start of 2019 to give Froy a fresh start for deeper and less throwaway music (that doesn't stop sideswipe being 11/10 though). Fix Me really delivers on that from the word go. From one listen, I was hit pretty hard by how openly and candidly Froy talks about his mental health. Lyrics including "I'm too scared to live but I'm more scared to die" are exceptionally powerful. I love how he talks about some negative aspects of depression, and medication, but the song ends on an uplifting note - "there's nothing wrong with me, just takes a little time". Absolutely gorgeous and just the pop song the world needs in 2019.

Greyson Chance
yours

I've talked about Greyson already in this topic - twice - but I'm making no apologies for this hat-trick. yours is the latest single from his sophomore album portraits, which came out last Friday (15th), and its music video came out last night (21st). The song itself feels reminiscent of Taylor Swift's Style, with Greyson's dreamy vocals carrying the song as he sings about a friendship. The music video is very pretty too - uneventful but Greyson carries it with his presence, looking more confident and reassured than ever. A song well worth listening to.

Christopher
My Heart

Danish popstar Christopher has been releasing bangers for quite a while now, and he's been pretty on and off since I started following him in 2016. I loved the 1-2-3 punch of Matoma-produced tropical bop Take Me Back, heartfelt ballad Heartbeat and the sublimely produced Free Fall, but the follow-up single Naked never hit the mark for me. With his current era, Under the Surface, three singles came out last year, all of which I rather enjoyed but none of them to the level of the aforementioned three. However, I've only just finished watching the music video for single 4 - My Heart, which was also my first play of the track. It's an absolutely gorgeous song on its own, but experiencing it with the music video takes it to a new level, seeing the story told in reverse and the depth it adds to the track. His best song since Free Fall at the end of 2016!

Conan Gray
The King

This song's been hovering around my playlist for a couple of weeks now and I'm still really enjoying it. Conan Grey is a YouTube vlogger turned singer, with a small bunch of songs out on iTunes and Spotify already, but it wasn't until recently that I stumbled across him. The King is the best one I've heard so far though. His soft vocals contrast excellently with the intricate production. A future talent to watch out for I think.

In Real Life
Crazy AF

The winners of ABC's talent contest Boy Band, In Real Life have released a run of singles since their victory, and the latest is interestingly called Crazy AF. It follows a patchy run so far - coronation single Eyes Closed was great, and Tattoo (How 'Bout You) and Tonight Belongs to You were great singles too. How Badly was a fun if not totally exciting take on Latin pop, while Got Me Good had very little grip and their Christmas songs weren't very exciting at all. Crazy AF falls somewhere between How Badly and the duo of Tattoo and Tonight, it could quite easily fall into the background and be forgotten but it's got a really infectious backing track and I feel it's going to be a grower too.

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 23rd March 2019, 02:40 AM
Post #14
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

unrelated but greyson chance actually looks his age now ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
p a v
post 23rd March 2019, 08:39 AM
Post #15
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

no, hun, Christopher is very much Danish

can't even get his pop twink's nationalities right. what's next? liking an artist in his THIRTIES??! preposterous!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 23rd March 2019, 10:15 AM
Post #16
Group icon

QUOTE(Conanderella @ Mar 23 2019, 08:39 AM) *
no, hun, Christopher is very much Danish

can't even get his pop twink's nationalities right. what's next? liking an artist in his THIRTIES??! preposterous!

Oop i was actually meant to google that

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 5th April 2019, 09:11 PM
Post #17
Group icon

Matteo Markus Bok
Besos Besos

One of my favourites around right now. Matteo's a 15 year old Italian popstar who's been releasing singles regularly for almost 2 years, though his debut single came out in 2015, when Matteo was only 12 years old. His 2018 singles El Ritmo (AHI AHI AHI), In the Middle and Mrs Lonely were all really solid pop songs. They're not going to change the shape of the music industry, and it's clear Matteo isn't trying to do that either. He's simply releasing bops and cute ballads and it's what he loves. Besos Besos is the latest one to be released. Matteo sings in both English and Spanish (two of four languages he's fluent in, with German and his native Italian completing the set). It's a really fun track, and one I'll be enjoying a lot more as the weather gets hotter too.

Miles Wesley
6 Feet Under

This is a bit more "urban" leaning than most of the songs I'll post in here. Miles Wesley made his name on ABC's Boy Band show (the show that ultimately formed In Real Life, see my last post), and has been flirting with his own music since then. 6 Feet Under seems to be his first proper single, though, from his upcoming mixtape Cowboys Never Die. It's quite clearly inspired by current rap music trends, although Miles doesn't rap. It makes for a catchy track about having your heart broken multiple times. I'd rather he stayed away from the usual rap tropes of referring to girls as bitches/hoes though...!

FELIX SANDMAN
SOMETHING RIGHT

Released to tie in with Felix's acting debut in new Netflix show Quicksand, SOMETHING RIGHT is his first release since debut album EMOTIONS last year. It makes for a really cute, fun, breezy track which is infectious and will quite easily hook you in. It's not got the edge of previous singles like PART OF ME or MISS YOU LIKE CRAZY, I'd say it leans more towards IMPRINT with its breeziness, but it's probably his most pure pop release to date (post FO&O of course, where pure pop was their bread and butter).

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 19th April 2019, 08:36 PM
Post #18
Group icon

Brendan Murray
If I'm Honest

Best known for appearing on The X Factor 2018 and Eurovision 2017, Irish singer Brendan Murray found fame first in boyband HomeTown, who had two #1 singles in Ireland. Brendan performed Dying to Try for Ireland at Eurovision in 2017 but failed to qualify for the final. Now he's releasing original music again, before the If I'm Honest Tour. The title track is his first new release and it's really quite good. Brendan's unique tone takes centre stage with a heartfelt track, much better than Dying to Try was and with a greater sense of musical identity than The X Factor gave him.

(it's a bit of a quiet period for twinks atm...!)

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 4th May 2019, 05:02 PM
Post #19
Group icon

Ruel
Painkiller

16 year old Australian singer Ruel has been making waves for a little while now. His debut single Don't Tell Me was praised by Elton John, and the first three singles from debut EP Ready all charted on the ARIA singles chart, with Younger and Dazed & Confused both making it into Triple J's Hottest 100 of 2018. Painkiller is the lead single from his second EP, and it's very much in-keeping with his well-crafted style, though it's more uptempo than anything on the Ready EP. The video is loads of fun too! It's surely only a matter of time until Ruel blows up worldwide.

froy
Crash

Another Froy single came out last Friday (26th April), following sideswipe and Fix Me. Crash sees Froy delve into the style of Troye Sivan, delivering a really great current-sounding pop track about letting go of control and falling in love. It's notably happier than Fix Me and easily his most slick song so far.

NOTD and HRVY
I Miss Myself

Another repeat appearance for HRVY now, collaborating with DJ duo NOTD, best known for their global Spotify hit I Wanna Know with Bea Miller. HRVY provides vocals on their newest track, which serves as a brilliant slice of dance-pop. HRVY's voice really suits these sorts of productions, see also: Sigala's Somebody.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 10th May 2019, 09:16 PM
Post #20
Group icon

Matteo Markus Bok
Cruisin'

The big story of the week as far as I'm concerned is the release of Matteo Markus Bok's debut album Cruisin'. The 15 year old Italian popstar released the lead single El Ritmo (AHI AHI AHI) last June, also marking his first release with DreamWorld productions after a series of non-album singles with Music Television before that. Five (!) singles were released in total, with In the Middle, Shallow (yup, a Gaga & Cooper cover), Mrs Lonely and Besos Besos following. All five songs reached #1 in my personal chart, which immediately puts the album in good stead as they make up 5/8ths of the tracklisting. I'd have liked a couple more new songs, but nevertheless, the three we get are all top notch pop songs. Sayonara Arigatò is crying out to be the next single, with a huge chorus and brilliant production. It's an excellent pop album all round - nothing groundbreaking that breaks the barriers of music, but solid, consistently great pop with the chorus as the centre point for each song. If you've got half an hour spare, I couldn't recommend an album more.

teamwork, Nina Nesbitt and AJ Mitchell
Afterhours

A name that's already cropped up in this thread, AJ Mitchell's All My Friends was a song that I didn't tire of very quickly (unlike most songs - if you follow my chart you'll know that only a select few songs manage particularly lengthy chart runs). Naturally, I was intrigued in his next step, and seeing he's collaborated with Nina Nesbitt excited me further as she's been on form with her second album The Sun Will Come Up, The Seasons Will Change. They've both teamed up with "production collective" teamwork, who were behind songs like Feels Great by Cheat Codes and Right Now by Robin Schulz & Nick Jonas to name a couple. The result is Afterhours, a punchy and catchy pop track that could easily be a hit if radio invests.

Alexander Stewart
Shy

Another name I mentioned in post 1, Alexander Stewart is beginning to build up a little profile for himself. Collaborating with Shaggy on his single You, Alexander's now performed on The Late Late Show with James Corden and Good Morning America, and now he follows up his own single Backwards with new track Shy. It's a stripped back ballad and undoubtedly his most emotional track to date. It's about being in love with someone but being too shy to tell them. A lovely track and continues his really solid hit rate so far!

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 04:14 PM