BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Throwback to "Work" at the BRITs 2016!, Two years ago today
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Theonix
post Sep 14 2017, 03:28 PM
Post #1
BUY Phoenix on Amazon / STREAM Phoenix on Spotify
Group: Members
Member No.: 8,661

Welcome to Rihanna's #ThrowbackThursday thread! cheer.gif

Each week we're going to bring you a Rihanna moment from the past 12 years (and counting) of her career - whether it's a single or album release, iconic performance or another miscellaneous moment from Rihanna's career that happened within the same week.

We're going to kick off with this week in 2010 when "Only Girl (In The World)" was released as a single (September 10).

In many ways, this was the track that the fans wanted Riri to come back with the previous year when she presented "Russian Roulette" (but thankfully she made us wait and we got Rated R, among her top three albums ever). It's an all-out, in your face pop-dance banger and showed the world that Rihanna was back on top form. It definitely took a bit longer to grow on me than her previous poppier efforts but I can undeniably say that I love it now and it's definitely one of her most well-remembered singles amongst the general public.

"Only Girl" became her eighth US number one single, following "What's My Name?", and her fourth UK number one single. It was the fourth best-selling song of 2010 in the UK and was her fifth song to be certified at least 5x Platinum in the US. It also topped the charts in Australia, Canada, France and Ireland, amongst others. At the 53rd Grammy Awards, it was nominated for Best Dance Recording and won, becoming Rihanna's then-fourth Grammy win.

Iconic performances:
The X Factor 2010
2011 Brit Awards

What are your thoughts on "Only Girl (In The World)"? Where would it rank amongst Rihanna lead singles for you?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Theonix
post Sep 14 2017, 03:29 PM
Post #2

14/09/17: "Only Girl (in the World)"
21/09/17: "Cheers (Drink to that)"
28/09/17: "Live Your Life"
05/10/17: "Diamonds"
12/10/17: "Fly"
19/10/17: "Russian Roulette"
26/10/17: "The Monster"

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post Sep 14 2017, 03:32 PM
Post #3
is in hibernation
Group: Banned
Member No.: 21,161

It's definitely one of her most iconic tracks among the GP! I was addicted to this when it came out but idk lmao, I think I overplayed it for a long time and I can't really listen to it because of that laugh.gif I was so excited for this single, the amazing 'Rated R' album had solidified her as one of my faves and my excitement for her was at an all time high. wub.gif Really instant on me as well ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Cremey
post Sep 18 2017, 09:00 PM
Post #4
on a bench in coney island
Member No.: 4,089
   No Gallery Pics

I'll never understand the love for this, definitely one of her worst singles for me.
Well I can see why it did well I guess, but I just never return to it and was never a huge fan of it, especially after loving basically everything about the 'Rated R' era. That red hair tho heart.gif

+Quote Post
Theonix
post Sep 21 2017, 11:00 AM
Post #5

This week for Throwback Thursday, we're going back to 2011 which was perhaps the peak of Rihanna's chart domination in the UK.

"Cheers (Drink to That)" was the 7th (yes, SEVENTH) single released from Loud - no mean feat given that there are only 11 songs on the album - and was making waves in the UK throughout September of that year, before finally reaching its peak of #15 on 18 September 2011.

In the lead-up to the album's release, this was definitely one of my most anticipated tracks, given the Avril Lavigne connection (the song samples her song "I'm with You"). I was a bit disappointed with it at first but retrospectively it's a very interesting use of the sample and the song itself is definitely a bop.

It's definitely not her most well-remembered song but I think when you have as many classics as Rih has, she can let it slide. I'm also pretty sure she's never performed it on TV, and it was only included during her 'Loud' tour and never since.

Alongside its UK peak, "Cheers (Drink to That)" reached the top 10 in the US and has since been certified 2x Platinum there. It also reached the top ten in Australia, Canada and New Zealand and the top twenty in Ireland.

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post Sep 21 2017, 04:12 PM
Post #6
is in hibernation
Group: Banned
Member No.: 21,161

I remember being so excited when I heard about the Avril sample then being completely let down by this. sad.gif I don't think I've ever really liked this haha, a lowpoint on the Loud album which is otherwise amazing. heart.gif (bitch needs to put LTWYL part 2 back on Spotify though)

+Quote Post
Atonement
post Sep 21 2017, 04:49 PM
Post #7
I just had to see your face to feel alive
Member No.: 10,676
   No Gallery Pics

Probably my favorite song on 'Loud', after her best song 'Man Down' of course.

Also love the video. So carefree and fun to sing along wub.gif.

I kind of dislike the use of the sample though. Avril's voice is so annoying in it.

+Quote Post
Theonix
post Sep 28 2017, 10:41 AM
Post #8

This week's Throwback Thursday is a song that Rihanna featured on and her first of many high-profile features, "Live Your Life".

This is probably one of the most divisive songs in Rihanna's discography, featuring a rather odd choice of sample in O-Zone's 2003 song "Dragostea Din Tei". I think it works (somehow) and although it's a track I rarely go back to, I always enjoy hearing it again.

The pair premiered the song a few weeks before its release at the VMAs and T.I. has since gone on to perform the song live with the likes of Demi Lovato and Taylor Swift replacing Rihanna's part laugh.gif

"Live Your Life" was released as the third single from T.I.'s album Paper Trail, although it was only the second to chart in the UK top 40 - it became Rih's fourth single to stall at #2 here whilst in the US it became her fifth #1 on the Hot 100, her third of 2008. It was T.I.'s second consecutive number one, following "Whatever You Like", which was displaced by "Live Your Life" on the Hot 100 twice with both songs having three separate runs as #1 single - what a time to be alive!

+Quote Post
Mack.
post Oct 2 2017, 08:00 AM
Post #9
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

When I first had this, I was thinking what have you done with the sample of Dragostea Din Tei in this. Thought it was a bit weird. But one of my favourites that Rihanna featured in. This was played a lot for me when it came out. Rarely hear this now.

Had quite a jump from 39-2 when it was released. Entered originally at #39, I believe when it was released on the Saturday and then climbed to #2 behind peasky 'Hero' from The 2008 X Factor Finalists.

+Quote Post
Josh!
post Oct 2 2017, 09:16 AM
Post #10
c:
Member No.: 20,692

Like Mack says, it's a big shame that this feels pretty forgotten now because it felt massive at the time and now you only ever hear it on Rihanna dedicated shows/events it seems... It's one of her best collaborations in my opinion and has SUCH a catchy hook (courtesy of O-Zone I guess heehee.gif) but even the T.I. bits are decent laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Atonement
post Oct 2 2017, 11:35 AM
Post #11
   No Gallery Pics

Awful song and one of the worst songs she's been involved in. The sample makes it sound incredibly childish.

+Quote Post
Mack.
post Oct 3 2017, 09:31 PM
Post #12
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

Without Rihanna, it wouldn't have done anything in the UK, I don't think.

+Quote Post
Theonix
post Oct 5 2017, 04:30 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(HeadlessJockey @ Oct 3 2017, 10:31 PM) *
Without Rihanna, it wouldn't have done anything in the UK, I don't think.

Agreed, hence why "Whatever You Like" flopped here sad.gif

+Quote Post
Theonix
post Oct 5 2017, 04:30 PM
Post #14

Throwback Thursday this week shines a light on "Diamonds", the lead single from Rihanna's seventh album Unapologetic.

For me, it is one of Rihanna's strongest ballads and shows her voice off beautifully although I appreciate a lot of the criticisms towards it are based on it sounding very Sia-like (one of the track's writers). It isn't one of my favourites on the album but that's due to there being some absolutely huge songs on there.

It was a slightly unexpected choice of direction for the lead single, although I vastly prefer it to "Russian Roulette" which was released three years prior to this and is the only other instance where the lead single has been a ballad.

Released in September 2012, it hit the top of the UK chart in early October for a single week yet went on to spend 14 weeks in the top 10. It is one of Rihanna's 10 million selling singles (and one of four to get there based on pure sales) and is currently her last UK #1 single credited as a lead artist! R9 pull through! It spent three weeks at #1 in the US and has been certified 6x Platinum there. It also made #1 in Canada, France, Germany and top 10 just about everywhere it was released!

+Quote Post
IDGANewRules
post Oct 5 2017, 05:49 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 42,712
   No Gallery Pics

Her last TRULY iconic moment for me.

+Quote Post
Atonement
post Oct 5 2017, 06:00 PM
Post #16
   No Gallery Pics

One of ha best singles. It cemented my love for her.

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Oct 5 2017, 07:34 PM
Post #17
Break the tension
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

I think everyone probably knows my feelings on this song. It's Room 101 territory.

+Quote Post
Theonix
post Oct 12 2017, 11:30 AM
Post #18

This week we're throwing it back to one of Rihanna's collaborations with Nicki Minaj, "Fly".

On paper, this song should have been a lot stronger than it is. Anticipation for a duet between these two artists probably wasn't as high in 2010 when Nicki Minaj was just starting out, so I think that is probably why this turned out to be fairly weak. However, given that Rihana's 'Loud' album was released two weeks earlier than Nicki's 'Pink Friday', on which features one of the worst songs of their respective careers, "Raining Men", it's safe to say that they disappointed us with these collaborations.

I do like this as a song but it feels completely faceless from both artists and their vocals are far too autotuned. Nicki delivers a solid enough rap but I do hope that in the future we get a knockout collaboration from the two.

This peaked at #16 in the UK in October 2011 (the same week that "We Found Love" debuted at #1) and at #19 in the US in December of that year. It missed the top ten everywhere and only really had middling success in a couple of other English-speaking nations, also reaching the top twenty in Australia, Ireland and New Zealand.

+Quote Post
Theonix
post Oct 19 2017, 11:46 AM
Post #19

Throwback to "Russian Roulette":

Following a countdown on Rihanna's official website featuring the R logo (used from 2009-12), a date (23rd November 2009) and the phrase 'the wait is ova' (alluding to later single "Wait Your Turn), "Russian Roulette" premiered online and on radio stations around the world on the 20th October 2009.

This was Rihanna's first single as a lead artist since "Rehab" almost 12 months previously and anticipation was very high. It was the longest wait between Rihanna's campaigns at the time and marked a very drastic change in sound from the dance-pop singles from 'Good Girl Gone Bad' (it's the first era that was opened with a ballad lead single and something that she didn't do again until "Diamonds"/'Unapologetic' three years later).

Released as the lead single to 'Rated R', it's features very dark production including electric guitars and a heartbeat-esque rhythm continuing throughout the song. The lyrics are some of Rihanna's darkest and many compared it to her relationship with Chris Brown which I won't talk about here.

Although I was disappointed with it at the time, I do appreciate it as showing off a different side to Rihanna and it led perfectly into 'Rated R' which is one of my favourite Rihanna albums. It's one of the most divisive songs amongst her fanbase.

"Russian Roulette" peaked at #2 in the UK in December 2009 following a performance on 'The X Factor' but was considered a failure in the US, 'only' reaching #9 and spending just 14 weeks on the Billboard Hot 100 - the fewest of any of Rihanna's top 10 singles there. It charted at #1 in Norway and Switzerland and reached the top 10 in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, New Zealand and just about everywhere else.

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Oct 19 2017, 02:11 PM
Post #20
Break the tension
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

'Russian Roulette' is such a brilliant song, a shining gem in her discography. Has real depth to it.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:06 AM