BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jesy leaves Polydor - Update: in talks with other labels
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
schizo_spice
post Jul 29 2022, 05:46 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,574
Update 01/08/2022:

JESY Nelson is in talks with new record labels to sign a fresh deal – just days after she walked away from Polydor.

The former Little Mix star split from the label last week after they struggled to agree on the direction her solo music was going in.

Music insiders have now revealed Jesy, 31, is already in demand from a number of other labels who are keen to get her on board.

A source said: “Jesy is being courted by labels who are interested in getting her on board.

“There are some independent labels who believe they could help her return to form - and give her the freedom she clearly desires.

“Jesy is really proud of the music she has been making and she knows exactly what she wants when it comes to her sound.

“She isn’t going to rush into anything but she’s had a couple of meetings and is excited about the future.”

Source: The Sun

The Sun is reporting that she’s split with Polydor over disagreements on her musical direction.

This post has been edited by Slayer: Aug 1 2022, 07:06 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Slayer
post Jul 29 2022, 06:20 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 120,499
QUOTE(schizo_spice @ Jul 29 2022, 06:46 PM) *
The Sun is reporting that she’s split with Polydor over disagreements on her musical direction.

Yikes, if true it’s pretty silly of her to leave. I feel like she’s doomed at this point, she should have stuck it out, but we’ll see.

She’s currently in LA recording music.

+Quote this post
Slayer
post Jul 29 2022, 06:23 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
JESY Nelson has split from her record label Polydor after just 14 months.

Insiders said the former Little Mix star decided to walk away from her deal to make a fresh start.

Jesy, 31, first quit Little Mix in December 2020 and said she could no longer cope with the pressures of being in a girl group.

She signed a major solo deal with Polydor Records, who also look after Billie Eilish and Sam Fender, in May last year but has only released one single, Boyz.

Her first single Boyz peaked at No4 in the charts.

Music insiders have now revealed Jesy and Polydor have split and are no longer working together.

Jesy has also since been removed from Polydor’s roster of talent on their website.

A source said: “Jesy decided it was the right time for her to make a clean break.

“She and the label have been going in different directions in recent months. And while there hasn't been a fall-out, Jesy just felt it was better to start afresh now – while everyone was still friends.

“Jesy enjoyed her time with Polydor - but feels, rather than go on together while having such differing musical ideas for the future, she now wants to be able to fully develop her own ideas as an individual artist.”

A second music insider added: “Jesy loves the music she has been working on and is really proud of it.

“She has been working hard in Los Angeles and is determined to get it out there and make a success of her solo music.”

Polydor Records did not respond to requests to comment.

A spokesman for Jesy said: “Jesy Nelson feels now is the right for her to move in a new direction. As a result, she has decided to part company with Polydor.

Jesy has been working on new music in Los Angeles for much of this year.

The singer, who was in Little Mix with Leigh-Anne Pinnock, Jade Thirlwall and Perrie Edwards, has been working with a host of producers and writers – including Tayla Parx who wrote the band’s smash hit Sweet Melody.

Source: The Sun

Yikes, I wonder if she’s still with her US Label? She’s currently in LA recording music. I feel like she’ll address this to confirm it if true, which I’m feeling it probably is.

+Quote this post
Voodoo
post Jul 29 2022, 07:44 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 5,829
QUOTE(Slayer @ Jul 29 2022, 09:23 PM) *
I feel like she’ll address this to confirm it if true, which I’m feeling it probably is.

Of course it's true. Her spokesman has confirmed it.

+Quote this post
Slayer
post Jul 29 2022, 07:54 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Voodoo @ Jul 29 2022, 08:44 PM) *
Of course it's true. Her spokesman has confirmed it.

It wasn't in the article previously, hence why I wondered.

For others:

A spokesperson for Polydor said: “Polydor have amicably parted ways with Jesy. We have enjoyed working with her and everyone at the label wishes her nothing but the best for the future.”

+Quote this post
tommie
post Jul 29 2022, 08:23 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073
"Left" aka was dropped, but both parties have agreed to make it seem like an amicable split.

I guess that's that for her solo career.

+Quote this post
Yobnedor
post Jul 29 2022, 08:45 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Perfectly Pop
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 3,033
If it’s true Jesy was “bought out” of LM by the other girls, she *could* release independently.

+Quote this post
tommie
post Jul 29 2022, 08:53 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Yobnedor @ Jul 29 2022, 08:45 PM) *
If it’s true Jesy was “bought out” of LM by the other girls, she *could* release independently.

I mean, she could, but does she really feel passionately about it enough to take a loss on releasing music while having to make up the difference via touring, something she has to establish herself as solo?

+Quote this post
Slayer
post Jul 29 2022, 09:03 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
She seems pretty passionate, she's been co-producing the music and writing a lot and in the studio a lot.

I know it's easy to just attack her but does seem to have re-ignited her passion for writing and singing.

We'll see what happens, it all seems very up in the air. It'll be a uphill battle, that's for sure, however she does have the talent.

+Quote this post
Muzkik85
post Jul 29 2022, 09:59 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 137,095
I just don't see it ever happening for Jesy. She it's going to be close to two years since she left before she releases anything new, the other girls will all be dropped their stuff soon. The hype is gone.

But I feel like after the backlash she seems kind of happy to just ve making music and living her life. I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up on LA full time. Whatever makes her happy.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Jul 29 2022, 10:41 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845
The Hype is well gone and I think she has such an uphill battle now.

+Quote this post
Slayer
post Jul 29 2022, 10:56 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
I agree with both of the above comments, she’d need to do a lot to better her public image and tbh she seems to enjoy being in LA and recording/writing music. She actually does seem happy now, despite her career being a mess.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Jul 30 2022, 12:44 AM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845
Her career really does seem a mess now, i just think she has handled everything so badly.

+Quote this post
Muzkik85
post Jul 30 2022, 04:25 AM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 137,095
It can't be put solely on her. Whoever done her PR last year has no business doing that job. It's like they went out of their way to make it worse.

Little Mix aren't the Spice Girls. People don't want to see the conflict and drama, they wanted to believe the friendship and unity.

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post Jul 30 2022, 06:18 AM
Post #15
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
Yiiikes.

But tbh my suspicion is that she's been self-funding to an extent since day 1. I really don't see her being a good businesswoman.

+Quote this post
tommie
post Jul 30 2022, 06:28 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(J00prstar @ Jul 30 2022, 06:18 AM) *
But tbh my suspicion is that she's been self-funding to an extent since day 1. I really don't see her being a good businesswoman.

I doubt it. She was the first Little Mix to go solo and I have no doubt she didn't have to self-fund to get a deal with Polydor. Everything with the Boyz release looked very professional and you don't get the collabs she did as a former girl group member without a proper record label.

But her biggest issue will be funding - releasing music ain't cheap and even if she'd score a hit independently it would only cover up the margins. She's not established as a solo performer, so trying to make up losses via that route will be an uphill battle. There's a reason why a lot of former pop group members don't release anything solo beyond getting deal with major record labels. Melanie C earns nothing from making and releasing music, but at least she was able to release two solo albums on a major label and have some hits that enabled her touring to make up losses. Jesy doesn't have that advantage and no one really turns up for a "X from Pop Group X performing solo".

+Quote this post
sammy01
post Jul 30 2022, 06:40 AM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988
I'm sure she could bag another small deal with a label, heck if Steps ect can put out albums so can Jessy but will she want to be a small time artist who is way down on the list of a labels priorities.

I guess this will show if she really does love making/releasing music as the chance for big time success is pretty much gone now.

Tbh I felt like she would have a Geri or Cheryl type career hot out the gate with diminishing returns each era until just stopping completely as the success isn't there and it wont make much money. Problem is she has essentially fast fowarded her career to the Ride It part where the interest has already gone and the public are not on side.

+Quote this post
tommie
post Jul 30 2022, 06:52 AM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(sammy01 @ Jul 30 2022, 06:40 AM) *
I'm sure she could bag another small deal with a label, heck if Steps ect can put out albums so can Jessy but will she want to be a small time artist who is way down on the list of a labels priorities.

The difference is that Steps is a legacy act that can make up their losses via touring and other lucrative deals. Jesy is a former girl group member who had one solo hit (which quickly fell out of the charts and was a PR nightmare). She might score a deal with a small label for another single or two if she can bring the music with her (think Lisa Scott Lee and Ministry of Sound / Concept or Cheryl and 3Beat), but ultimately, she'll need to score a hit at one point. I don't see her getting an album out unless she does it independently.

Tbh I felt like she would have a Geri or Cheryl type career hot out the gate with diminishing returns each era until just stopping completely as the success isn't there and it wont make much money. Problem is she has essentially fast fowarded her career to the Ride It part where the interest has already gone and the public are not on side.

Pretty much - she had the advantage that she was first out of the gate and if wasn't for the PR disaster she could've rode that wave for a while, but now there other girls are gearing up for release and radio won't support all of them (if any). It does seem like Jade pretty much has the highest chance at success at this point, but who knows. These things can get really random who succeeds and who doesn't, but I think as far as a lot of radio programmers are concerned, she had her shot.

This post has been edited by tommie: Jul 30 2022, 06:53 AM

+Quote this post
Chemistry
post Jul 30 2022, 06:54 AM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 106,588

Steps are one of the biggest pop groups of the last 25 years and are still a major tour force, they are in a total different league than Jesy will ever be laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Yousee
post Jul 30 2022, 07:15 AM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 129,076
It's actually almost 2 years since she left the band, and we've only had one song/a sample (that fell out of UK charts quickly and did nothing internationally), with tonnes of Instagram selfies, studio clips and trips to America. And now she's left (?been dropped by?) her label.
In those almost 2 years, the rest of Little Mix as a group has released 6 singles, a Greatest Hits album, completed a tour, gone on hiatus, and now gearing up for solo music.

Sorry I just couldn't help it.

Somewhat unrelated, but I find it a bit too much when an artist keeps posting clips and photos of themselves in a studio recording music. It feels like constant tease that doesn't materialise. All LM girls are guilty of this (much less Jade though). It would have been amazing if Jesy left, became inactive on social media. Then one year down the line, releases a surprise proper single and an album - without all the drama of Boyz of course. I suppose it's "bigger" stars that pull that off, but that's the sort of thing that I find exciting.

+Quote this post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:29 AM