BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Spice Girls: How Girl Power Changed Britain (Documentary), Channel 4 - September 2021 - 3 Part Series
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
sammy01
post 14th September 2021, 10:20 AM
Post #41
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988

The makers of the documentary were on BBC Breakfast chatting about this this morning. It seems to be getting a fair bit of press.

GH #59 on iTunes now. Be good if Jay or someone does a full itunes/Amazon update before it starts in the iTunes topic to see the impact of tonight's episode.

Also Spice Girls will be one of the 'at the BBC' episodes that are airing currently. It features archive performances of an artist each week so TOTPs and so on performances aired on the BBC. Will have to keep an eye out for when it's their week but they were in the advert. It will be called Spice Girls at the BBC.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 14th September 2021, 11:08 AM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587

QUOTE(sammy01 @ Sep 14 2021, 11:20 AM) *
The makers of the documentary were on BBC Breakfast chatting about this this morning. It seems to be getting a fair bit of press.

GH #59 on iTunes now. Be good if Jay or someone does a full itunes/Amazon update before it starts in the iTunes topic to see the impact of tonight's episode.

Also Spice Girls will be one of the 'at the BBC' episodes that are airing currently. It features archive performances of an artist each week so TOTPs and so on performances aired on the BBC. Will have to keep an eye out for when it's their week but they were in the advert. It will be called Spice Girls at the BBC.

YAY thanks for the infoooo cheer.gif

+Quote this post
pippa
post 14th September 2021, 12:45 PM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031

Thank you for the information.
It leaves me very excited.

+Quote this post
Maz!
post 14th September 2021, 01:34 PM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 20,217

QUOTE(sammy01 @ Sep 14 2021, 12:20 PM) *

Oooooh I saw Beyoncé at the bbc last week happening

+Quote this post
Spice Girls Net
post 14th September 2021, 03:01 PM
Post #45
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 64,815

As of now 4pm UK time

GH

#59 - iTunes UK

Amazon UK

Top 100 cds and vinyl - #252
Dance Pop Chart - #6

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 14th September 2021, 03:12 PM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

The Spice 25 CD is #237 on Amazon can't be bothered to check all the vinyls to see their positions but will be interesting to see if they get a boost too.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 14th September 2021, 04:24 PM
Post #47
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217

Episode 1 (tonight):

The story of the girl group, made to mark 25 years since the release of their debut album Spice. Using rarely seen archive footage and interviews, the series charts the evolution of the Spice Girls over the past quarter of a century and explores the impact of girl power around the world. The first episode looks at the group's formation in 1994, against the backdrop of ladette culture, the group's rise to stardom, and what it meant for contemporary feminism. By 1997, the band reach new heights as the best-selling girl group of all time, with an extraordinary presence internationally

Episode 2 (21st Sep):

The documentary continues with the story of how the Spice Girls sacked their manager Simon Fuller, taking care of themselves as they embarked on their first major tour to sell-out audiences around the world. But a media backlash led to intense pressure and cracks began to emerge, leading to the dramatic departure of Geri Halliwell halfway through the tour

~~~~

The Guardian

TV tonight: how Spice Girls and their girl power changed Britain

Spice Girls: How Girl Power Changed Britain
9pm, Channel 4
A barely believable quarter of a century has passed since the Spice Girls released their debut album, Spice. This documentary series offers a deep dive into a phenomenon that emerged at the height of Britpop and seemed to offer aesthetic continuity and a point of difference. But how did it happen? This opening episode explores the band’s formation in 1994 against the backdrop of “ladette” culture. How did these five disparate personalities combine to such memorable effect? Phil Harrison

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/20...changed-britain

~~~~

Episode 2 will air directly after the premiere of the new series of The Great British Bake Off, so I could see the ratings being pretty good for episode 2??

+Quote this post
Spice Girls Net
post 14th September 2021, 04:47 PM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 64,815

See if this documentary gives their social media a bit of a boost after tonight’s episode.

Their numbers are currently

Instagram - 712k
Twitter - 108.5k
Facebook - 440k
YouTube - 962k

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 14th September 2021, 07:16 PM
Post #49
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

This is on at 9pm right?

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 14th September 2021, 07:28 PM
Post #50
Group icon

It is indeed!

+Quote this post
Jαsє
post 14th September 2021, 08:17 PM
Post #51
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 14,043

"our lives are gonna change dramatically. i hope. if we do well..."

-Mel C

Chills. Little did she know... cheeseblock.png

+Quote this post
Jαsє
post 14th September 2021, 08:36 PM
Post #52
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 14,043

Actually getting a little emotional watching this. I was very lucky enough to grow up (I was around 10 at the time) when the girls were just starting out and I'm being taken back to a time when life was so fun and joyous and carefree cheeseblock.png I was so obsessed with them. I've still got empty Walkers crisp packets up in my loft because I collected every single thing with their names attached to it laugh.gif

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 14th September 2021, 09:14 PM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Enjoyable first episode, it's more gritty and raw than the usual Spice Girls documentary. I like they aren't shying away from negatives but explaining them too and why some of these negatives came about because men and forces wanted to bring them down.

Mel B I feel has come across brilliantly in it, I think I forget as a child just how powerful and outspoken she was but in a great way.

+Quote this post
Babyboy
post 14th September 2021, 09:17 PM
Post #54
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,611

Any link to watch it outside UK?

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 14th September 2021, 09:19 PM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

I wasn't really taken with that documentary it was a bit all over the place flipping from tone to tone and topic to topic. Not very well done to be honest. I laughed when they completely cut out Michelle's part in the groups history though!

This post has been edited by spiceboy: 15th September 2021, 06:55 AM

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 14th September 2021, 09:46 PM
Post #56
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I assume Michelle didn't want to be part of it so what's the point in wasting time on her if they can't even have her side of it.

I loved the tone went from positive to negative and back and forth. You need to see what they were up against truly. The girls being marked on looks in the audition, directors asking for cleavage, Lianne being offered 10k to sell a fake story, they all proved why they broke barriers and why actually girl power was true as this is what they were up against.

The only people I felt came across bad were any men in it who were either bitter or just a complete loser like Matthew Wright.

This post has been edited by sammy01: 14th September 2021, 09:48 PM

+Quote this post
pippa
post 14th September 2021, 10:46 PM
Post #57
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031

It was up and down but I feel it highlighted how much they had to fight against to achieve their success.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 15th September 2021, 06:31 AM
Post #58
Group icon

Yeah I’m more with Spiceboy on this one… by the end of the episode I was feeling quite negatively about it. Why they gave Matthew Wright a platform I really don’t know. I didn’t feel like it flowed well and the overall tone felt more cynical. Not particularly celebratory of their achievements, bar an enthusiastic contribution from Jayne Middlemiss!

Idk maybe I was tired when watching it. What I enjoyed most was the archive footage, quite a lot of the “Raw Spice” era stuff was unseen. I think my favourite part was the focus on Mel B and Geri during the Polaroid shoot when they confronted the men suggesting they should show more cleavage, it’s a major girl power moment in action!

+Quote this post
gabry
post 15th September 2021, 10:28 AM
Post #59
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 69,769

Great! I don't live in the UK unfortunately I can't see it, how did the ratings go?

+Quote this post
vibe
post 15th September 2021, 11:26 AM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

The idiots in the media that think SF made the girls. How funny.

Was nothing to d with the creation of the band or music.

+Quote this post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 12:48 PM