BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> REVIEW: Now That's What I Call Music! 41, Released 23rd November 1998 | 42 Tracks | 8 #1 Singles
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Now That's What I Call Music! 41 Ratings
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 30
Guests cannot vote 
awardinary
post 15th May 2017, 05:17 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587
    Images

Adverts

Details
Released: 23rd November 1998
Origin: United Kingdom
Label: Virgin / EMI / Polygram
Format: Double CD & Double Cassette
Duration: 2:36:08 (156 minutes 8 seconds)
Tracks: 42
#1’s: 8
Chart Peak: #1 (7 weeks)
Sales: 1,145,000 (5x Platinum)
    Tracklisting
1. Boyzone – No Matter What 4:33 {1}
2. Robbie Williams – Millennium 3:33 {1}
3. The Beautiful South – Perfect 10 3:39 {2}
4. U2 – Sweetest Thing 3:02 {3}
5. Culture Club – I Just Wanna Be Loved 3:44 {4}
6. Ace Of Base – Life Is A Flower 3:34 {5}
7. Jennifer Paige – Crush 3:11 {4}
8. Steps – Heartbeat 4:24 {1}
9. Honeyz – Finally Found 4:06 {4}
10. E17 – Each Time 3:57 {2}
11. Kele Le Roc – Little Bit Of Lovin' 4:04 {8}
12. Sweetbox – Everything's Gonna Be Alright 3:11 {5}
13. UB40 – Come Back Darling 3:28 {10}
14. Melanie B feat. Missy "Misdemeanor" Elliott – I Want You Back 3:27 {1}
15. All Saints – Bootie Call 3:26 {1}
16. Aqua – Turn Back Time 3:57 {1}
17. Spice Girls – Too Much 3:53 {1}
18. Lutricia McNeal – Someone Loves You Honey 2:54 {9}
19. Lighthouse Family – Question Of Faith 3:51 {21}
20. Phil Collins – True Colours 3:52 {26}
21. Janet Jackson – Every Time 4:16 {46}
22. Billie – Girlfriend 3:56 {1}
23. 911 – More Than A Woman 3:13 {2}
24. T-Spoon – Sex On The Beach 3:40 {2}
25. The Tamperer feat. Maya – If You Buy This Record Your Life Will Be Better 3:27 {3}
26. Stardust – Music Sounds Better With You 4:21 {2}
27. Vengaboys – Up And Down 3:45 {4}
28. Sash! feat. Shannon – Move Mania 3:46 {8}
29. Touch & Go – Would You...? 3:10 {3}
30. The Corrs – Dreams (Tee's Radio Mix) 3:54 {6}
31. The Cardigans – My Favourite Game 3:37 {14}
32. James – Sit Down '98 3:47 {7}
33. Fatboy Slim – Gangster Trippin' 3:32 {3}
34. Eagle-Eye Cherry – Falling In Love Again 3:31 {8}
35. Sheryl Crow – My Favourite Mistake 4:05 {9}
36. Robbie Williams – No Regrets 4:44 {4}
37. Space – We Gotta Get Out Of This Place 3:20 {20}
38. Embrace – My Weakness Is None Of Your Business 3:19 {9}
39. Alisha's Attic – The Incidentals 3:09 {13}
40. Deetah – Relax 3:48 {11}
41. R. Kelly feat. Keith Murray – Home Alone 4:13 {17}
42. Sham Rock – Tell Me Ma 3:49 {13}

Key
Tracks highlighted red were official UK #1’s.
Tracks with an asterisk (*) next to their title have also been included in special releases from the series.
The track duration has been highlighted cyan.
Bracketed numbers refer to highest chart position reached.
    Miscellaneous Facts
Track Most Weeks At #1: Boyzone – No Matter What (3 weeks)
Lowest Charting Track: Janet Jackson – Every Time {46}
Longest Song: Robbie Williams – No Regrets 4:44
Shortest Song: Lutricia McNeal – Someone Loves You Honey 2:54
Edited Tracks: Unknown
Unedited Tracks: Unknown
Inlay Mistakes: None
Other Facts: N/A
    On This Day In History
No music news to report for 23rd November 1998.
    Other Resources
Official Now Music Website
Wikipedia
Everyhit
Brandt Animation Archive
Now 41 Rate
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 15th May 2017, 05:18 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
User: 21,587
    Andrew's Review
Now That's What I Call Music! 41 or Now 41 was the final instalment for 1998. It features 42 tracks and 8 UK #1 singles. Now 41 introduced us for the first time to the likes of Honeyz, Kele Le Roc, Vengaboys, The Corrs and Deetah.

5 UK #1 singles didn't feature from this era which were Manic Street Preachers – If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next, B*Witched – Rollercoaster, Spacedust – Gym & Tonic and Cher – Believe (this would however feature on the next volume). It can also be said that Tragedy from Steps was missing but this was included a year later. Along with these #1 omissions, there was also a number of other casualties. Sash! had another big hit with Tina Cousins called Mysterious Times which didn't make the cut. Savage Garden were once again ignored for their single To The Moon And Back. Steps had a #2 summer hit with One For Sorrow. The love ballad of 1998 from Aerosmith – I Don't Want To Miss A Thing was also snubbed. Also missing was Lauren Hill's debut and highest charting single Doo Wop (That Thing), Natalie Imbruglia – Smoke, George Michael – Outside, Stereophonics – The Bartender And The Thief and Shania Twain – From This Moment On.

As for those artists we would only hear from on this one occasion, that included Jennifer Paige, Sweetbox, T-Spoon, Stardust, Touch & Go and Sham Rock.

Artwork Rating: 6/10 Good
Definitely a festive feel to this cover. Perhaps that because of the evident use of what appear to be baubles reflecting the logo from all angles. It's nice to see a red design which was a lacking colour from the late 90's covers.

Disc 1 Favourite: Kele Le Roc – Little Bit Of Lovin'
Such a sweet voice. I always found this ballad to be a beautiful pop record. It's a shame Kele Le Roc didn't have a long spanning music career as I'm sure she would have sold lots of records.

Disc 2 Favourite: Stardust – Music Sounds Better With You
A one hit wonder which was a big hit in late 1998. This feel good song sounds like something which Jamiroquai would produce. A great song to drive to.

Overall Rating: 6/10 Good
There's a lot that could be done to improve this volume, and a lot of the songs included are just forgotten hits now. Personally I would have liked to have seen a couple more #1 hits and a few more new introductions to the series too.

Andrew's Best 5 (as of May 2017)
1. Stardust – Music Sounds Better With You
2. T-Spoon – Sex On The Beach
3. Kele Le Roc – Little Bit Of Lovin'
4. Sweetbox – Everything's Gonna Be Alright
5. Steps – Heartbeat

Andrew's Worst 5 (as of May 2017)
1. Lighthouse Family – Question Of Faith
2. Sham Rock – Tell Me Ma
3. Lutricia McNeal – Someone Loves You Honey
4. Eagle-Eye Cherry – Falling In Love Again
5. Embrace – My Weakness Is None Of Your Business

This post has been edited by awardinary: 15th May 2017, 06:24 PM

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 15th May 2017, 05:43 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053
Artwork: I like it, interesting choice of a colours for a winter edition! 7/10

Disc 1: Perfect 10 - this is such a catchy track, and I love the lyrics laugh.gif

Disc 2: Tell Me Ma - Huge NON-guilty pleasure, one of the jolliest songs of all time!

Overall: Disc 1 is really poor, Disc 2 contains some quality songs. I'll go 6/10.

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post 15th May 2017, 08:17 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,585
Oh I've been waiting for this! heart.gif

This was the first ever NOW album I got and it was for Christmas when I was 6! So it holds some great memories for me.

Gone for Spice Girls (Disc 1) and Billie (Disc 2), though Deetah's Relax is a firm favourite too!

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 15th May 2017, 11:56 PM
Post #5
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835
Artwork 4/10 I don't really like it oops laugh.gif
Disc 1: Jenifer Page - Crush (A lot to choose from but gosh I love this song heart.gif)
Disc 2: Stardust - Nothing Sounds Better than you (TUNE)!

Overall 8/10

This post has been edited by HarryApa: 15th May 2017, 11:57 PM

+Quote this post
danG
post 16th May 2017, 05:40 PM
Post #6
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
Artwork: 6/10
Disc One: Robbie Williams - Millennium
Disc Two: Stardust - Music Sounds Better With You wub.gif
Overall: 5/10 (disc one really lets it down)

Here is the Now 41 Tracklist recap

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post 19th May 2017, 09:44 PM
Post #7
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666

Favourites:

Millenium (this sampled a track from the You Only Live Twice soundtrack)
Perfect 10
Sweetest Thing
Come Back Darling
I Want You Back
Turn Back Time (from the Sliding Doors soundtrack)
Someone Loves You Honey
Music Sounds Better With You (club classic.)
Up and Down, Up and Down, Up and Down (The next NOW album will have another Venga song, the other Venga song is the one that was used in that viral Six Flags advert)
Move Mania
Dreams
My Favourite Game
Sit Down '98 (Apollo 440 Remix) (I like the original 1988 version, 1991 version and this remix)
Gangster Tripping
We Gotta Get Out Of This Place (I like both this and the original Animals version [the latter of which I have on 7-inch])
My Weakness Is None Of Your Business
Home Alone

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post 21st May 2017, 01:40 PM
Post #8
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208
This was a great edition this one! With hindsight though a lot of the '98 Nows were let down by lacking the big Sony owned hits of the time (hello to you, B*Witched). I picked Boyzone from Disc 1 and Billie from Disc 2, Honeyz and The Corrs a close second respectively.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 21st May 2017, 02:48 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116
I ADORE this album. I could easily listen from Boyzone through to (and including) Lutricia McNeal on Disc 1 without skipping - well, maybe only UB40.

I'm glad the advert above pretty much backs up what I was saying a few weeks ago in another thread about Steps' Heartbeat being a bigger deal at the time than people make it out to be. I know Tragedy wasn't on this album but Heartbeat was still popular enough to be featured in its own right on the advert for the biggest compilation of the year. Some people treat the song like it's completely unknown and wouldn't have been a smash without Tragedy tacked onto it, but that really wasn't the case at all, Heartbeat was everywhere in November/December 1998 too. Of course Tragedy has completely and utterly overshadowed it since, but they had more equal footing upon release.

I digress - anyway, I went for the wonderful Life Is A Flower on Disc 1 and Dreams on Disc 2 <3

+Quote this post
Jade
post 21st May 2017, 05:03 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
I went for Robbie's 'Millennium' as my disc 1 favourite! I enjoy the grandeur bond-esque production and would class it as one of his best songs. 'Too Much' by Spice Girls runs it close, though! I usually love All Saints but 'Bootie Call' is one of their weaker hits. Then disc 2 houses my favourite song on the entire compilation - the sublime 'Music Sounds Better With You' by Stardust! wub.gif I adore the song and have always appreciated that the music video featured a chart show *.* A shame that it's not properly on Spotify, instead on there by an artist called Lushlife laugh.gif not even a fake version, it's the actual song ;o surprised it hasn't been taken down. Stardust to put it on there please so it stops scrobbling as Lushlife kink.gif

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post 21st May 2017, 06:18 PM
Post #11
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208
QUOTE(gooddelta @ May 21 2017, 03:48 PM) *
I ADORE this album. I could easily listen from Boyzone through to (and including) Lutricia McNeal on Disc 1 without skipping - well, maybe only UB40.

I'm glad the advert above pretty much backs up what I was saying a few weeks ago in another thread about Steps' Heartbeat being a bigger deal at the time than people make it out to be. I know Tragedy wasn't on this album but Heartbeat was still popular enough to be featured in its own right on the advert for the biggest compilation of the year. Some people treat the song like it's completely unknown and wouldn't have been a smash without Tragedy tacked onto it, but that really wasn't the case at all, Heartbeat was everywhere in November/December 1998 too. Of course Tragedy has completely and utterly overshadowed it since, but they had more equal footing upon release.

I digress - anyway, I went for the wonderful Life Is A Flower on Disc 1 and Dreams on Disc 2 <3

I was about to say Heartbeat was the more plugged of the two singles initially. It was only once they performed Tragedy at that year's Smash Hits Poll Winners in December that it really caught on and did as you say, overtake Heartbeat.

I remember going into school the day after it went out - our last week before the Christmas break - and when we were allowed to bring in our favourite CDs on the last day of term everyone was doing the dance routine. It caught on like wildfire!

I wasn't in the least bit surprised when the single went to #1 in the new year. I remember Radio 1 started playing Tragedy exclusively on the top 40 after it went to #1 and for the rest of its chart run. In fact I found the original episode recently on MixPod where Mark Goodier rings up Lee to tell them they're number one: https://m.mixcloud.com/marksplace_UK/uk-top...nuary-1999-pt3/

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 21st May 2017, 07:40 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116
QUOTE(ThePensmith @ May 21 2017, 07:18 PM) *
In fact I found the original episode recently on MixPod where Mark Goodier rings up Lee to tell them they're number one: https://m.mixcloud.com/marksplace_UK/uk-top...nuary-1999-pt3/

Aaaah, memories <3 This countdown was only two months into my newfound obsession and at the point when nearly every song I heard sounded amazing (but for me 1998/1999 were just amazing). Love hearing all those old chart jingles again laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Hide&Seek
post 1st July 2017, 08:22 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 3,500
Disc 1 faves :

1. Honeyz – Finally Found heart.gif
2. Lutricia McNeal – Someone Loves You Honey
3. Spice Girls – Too Much