BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 2014 Pop Forum Awards - RESULTS, Full list of winners on page 4
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liаm
post 5th January 2015, 08:10 PM
Post #41
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

BEST SINGLE

Fancy by Iggy Azalea & Charli XCX (10 votes)

Rather Be by Clean Bandit & Jess Glynne (8 votes)
Ghost by Ella Henderson (7 votes)
Shake It Off by Taylor Swift (5 votes)
Blank Space by Taylor Swift (4 votes)

One of the year’s surprise hits Fancy beats fellow smashes from Clean Bandit, Ella Henderson and Taylor Swift! Iggy’s career was kickstarted by this massive grower of an electro-hop song, probably helped by the excellent video <3 Rather Be has sold a million this year but has managed to be too overexposed, whilst Ghost (as has been said multiple times now!) was a rightful smash. Taylor’s two songs split votes and come in the bottom two places despite her two previous award wins, but will she win anything else?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 5th January 2015, 08:15 PM
Post #42
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

YESSSSS FANCY

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 5th January 2015, 08:18 PM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

Excellent winner! biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 5th January 2015, 08:18 PM
Post #44
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

BEST SINGLE ARTWORK

WINNER… Anaconda by Nicki Minaj (10 votes)

Dark Horse by Katy Perry & Juicy J (5 votes)
Black Widow by Iggy Azalea & Rita Ora (4 votes)
Rather Be by Clean Bandit & Jess Glynne (4 votes)
Salute by Little Mix (3 votes)
Shake It Off by Taylor Swift (3 votes)
What Are You Waiting For? by The Saturdays (2 votes)
I Don’t Care by Cheryl (1 votes)

One of the most iconic and remembered single covers of 2014 has to be Anaconda, so it’s no surprise it won. Completely fitting to the “size queen anthem” of a song, the artwork features Nicki’s famous arse in all its… glory. Ahem. It also inspired some hilarious memes, with faces such as Tina Belcher from Bob's Burgers, Marge Simpson and even Queen Elizabeth photoshopped onto Nicki's body! With half of Anaconda’s votes, Katy Perry’s Dark Horse with its wondefully crafted artwork is in second, whilst Iggy’s simple but effective Black Widow artwork is third, tied with Clean Bandit’s geometrically focused single cover. Bringing up the rear are Buzzjack faves The Saturdays and X Factor judge Cheryl with their relatively simple artwork.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 5th January 2015, 08:23 PM
Post #45
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

BEST DEBUT SINGLE

WINNER… Ghost by Ella Henderson (14 votes)

Ugly Heart by G.R.L. (11 votes)
Hideaway by Kiesza (8 votes)
All About That Bass by Meghan Trainor (1 vote)

Unsurprisingly, Ella snatches this one, her second award! But I won’t talk about her success again tongue.gif G.R.L. coming only three votes behind her is perhaps more surprising ohmy.gif They had a shock hit with the simple but wonderful ukulele led pop song Ugly Heart, and hopefully they move past the tragedy of Simone Battle’s death and keep up the good work. A song I nominated for most overrated single (oops) is just a few votes behind, Kiesza’s deep house influenced #1 Hideaway. Poor Meghan Trainor is miles behind with only one vote for her smash hit debut single.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 5th January 2015, 08:24 PM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Any of those tracks would have been worthy winners but Hideaway would have been most ideal. Oh well guess it'll have to win the dance forum awards instead!

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 5th January 2015, 08:26 PM
Post #47
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674

Oh dear, worst possibly winner for artwork. Just because it's the most easily remembered without a google search doesn't make it good or worthy of "best" imo. Not that the standard of the category was high but I liked the Black Widow artwork.

Ghost is very worthy and very pleased to see G.R.L. doing really well with my favourite song of 2014 heart.gif

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 5th January 2015, 08:27 PM
Post #48
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

MOST OVERRATED SINGLE

WINNER… All About That Bass by Meghan Trainor (9 votes)

Stay With Me by Sam Smith (8 votes)
Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran (7 votes)
Crazy Stupid Love by Cheryl Cole & Tinie Tempah (5 votes)
Shake It Off by Taylor Swift (5 votes)

Meghan finally manages to win an award… Sadly this isn’t a positive! Just ahead of megahit #1s from the kings of 2014 exposure Ed Sheeran and Sam Smith, All About That Bass apparently has too much love in the eyes of Buzzjack! Cheryl and Taylor Swift bring up the rear, unsurprisingly in the case of the former given I don’t think it’s rated that much in the first place tongue.gif

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 5th January 2015, 08:32 PM
Post #49
Group icon
my anxiety attacks

Overrated depended on the angle it was viewed from. Stay With Me and Thinking Out Loud are obviously massive hits but not particularly rated on Buzzjack. All About The Bass itself gets a lot of hate but seems to have more fans on here so that won it for me tongue.gif

Crazy Stupid Love is marginally worse but isn't really rated whichever way you look at it laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 5th January 2015, 08:33 PM
Post #50
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

MOST UNDERRATED SINGLE

WINNER… What Are You Waiting For? by The Saturdays (8 votes)

Glow by Ella Henderson (7 votes)
If I Go by Ella Eyre (5 votes)
Say You Love Me by Jessie Ware (5 votes)
Stupid Little Things by Anastacia (4 votes)
Welcome To The Jungle by Neon Jungle (3 votes)

The Saturdays finally win something ohmy.gif They didn’t have the best 2014, with this song barely scraping top 40 amid criticisms it was generic etc., but they have a huge fanbase on this site that clinches them this award! Ella Henderson misses out on a third award by just one vote with her understated second single Glow, whilst Ella Eyre and Jessie Ware tie on 5 points with two hits that had potential to do so much better than they did sad.gif Sprock queen Anastacia, with one of her best songs and certainly her best in YEARS, brings up the rear along with Neon Jungle’s third single.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 5th January 2015, 08:38 PM
Post #51
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Don't see how that's underrated at all.

If I Go though... biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Simon.
post 5th January 2015, 08:40 PM
Post #52
Group icon
Sugar Like Apple Pie
User: 126

I like the song but it's hardly underrated laugh.gif Jessie Ware & Anastacia's tracks are far more underrated.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 5th January 2015, 08:42 PM
Post #53
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

BEST COLLABORATION

WINNER… Uptown Funk by Mark Ronson & Bruno Mars (10 votes)

Fancy by Iggy Azalea & Charli XCX (9 votes)
Up by Olly Murs & Demi Lovato (6 votes)
Bang Bang by Jessie J, Ariana Grande & Nicki Minaj (4 votes)
Black Widow by Iggy Azalea & Charli XCX (3 votes)
Can’t Remember To Forget You (0 votes)

A male song wins over fully female songs? ohmy.gif And over “single of the year” Fancy too, odd. This was a shock to me, but Uptown Funk has caused a frenzy and already spent weeks at #1 following an early release after Fleur East’s showstopping performance on the X Factor semi final (which itself was an itunes #1), and is very likely to end up in the end of year top 5 in 2015 (I'd not be surprised if it was #1 actually depending on other releases...) The beautiful Olly Murs and one of my queens Demi are in third with their collaboration Up, followed by three of the biggest divas in pop with Bang Bang. Iggy has a second song here with Black Widow, and, even though on paper it’s aBuzzjack dream) the damp squib of a song from Rihanna and Shakira gets 0 votes.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 5th January 2015, 08:55 PM
Post #54
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

SURPRISE SMASH OF THE YEAR

WINNER…. You Ruin Me by The Veronicas (8 votes)

Boom Clap by Charli XCX (7 votes)
Stay High (Habits Remix) by Tove Lo & Hippie Sabotage (6 votes)
Chandelier by Sia (6 votes)
Ugly Heart by G.R.L. (3 votes)
You Got It All by Union J (3 votes)
Fancy by Iggy Azalea & Charli XCX (2 votes)
Ghost by Ella Henderson (0 votes)

A definite shock hit, it’s no surprise that You Ruin Me wins this one! I still remember hearing it on Heart in the car, and being excited that it might go top 40 laugh.gif So yay, it was good that it actually gave them a second top 10 after 2009’s fabulous Untouched. This one was a close contest though, as there was one vote between You Ruin Me and Boom Clap. Tove Lo was close enough too, just two votes behind, as is Sia. Two group singles from G.R.L. and Union J, as well as a smash from Iggy Azalea and an obvious from first listen hit from Ella Henderson bring up the rear.

SURPRISE FLOP OF THE YEAR

WINNER… Can’t Remember To Forget You by Shakira & Rihanna (19 votes)

Home by Leah McFall & will.i.am. (8 votes)
Not Giving Up by The Saturdays (4 votes)
What Are You Waiting For? by The Saturdays (3 votes)

Whilst it’s so underrated according to Buzzjack, apparently What Are You Waiting For wasn't a surprise flop at all tongue.gif That title instead goes to Shakira and Rihanna, who just made top 20 for a week or so despite this being a smash on paper. The Voice’s “ready made popstar” Leah McFall limped in at #56 with her debut single Home, even when assisted by will.i.am. - ouch. The Saturdays bring up the rear, and Not Giving Up was probably expected as a bit of a flop - although it did about as well as expected.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 5th January 2015, 08:58 PM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Although You Ruin Me achieved the higher peak, CRTFY was much more of a smash in terms of sales & longevity. I guess the overriding factor here is that given the names on the record many would have been expecting a massive number 1 smash on the scale of Beautiful Liar!

+Quote this post
danG
post 5th January 2015, 09:01 PM
Post #56
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

I voted Leah McFail for Flop of the Year actually, I guess CRTFY didn't completely live up to its potential but at least it was a decent sized hit, Home didn't even go top 40 drama.gif

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 5th January 2015, 09:04 PM
Post #57
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

BEST ALBUM

WINNER… 1989 by Taylor Swift (13 votes)

FOUR by One Direction (7 votes)
Chapter One by Ella Henderson (6 votes)
Queen Of The Clouds by Tove Lo (4 votes)
Sheezus by Lily Allen (2 votes)

Taylor continues her slayage with another award, this time for best album! As has already been said, this album was successful critically and commercially, and has been hugely well received on here. One Direction are a few votes behind with the imaginatively titled fourth album FOUR, whilst Ella Henderson puts up a fight with her debut Chapter One. Tove Lo’s Queen Of The Clouds is yet to be released in the UK, but still beats a UK #1 from Lily Allen.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 5th January 2015, 09:09 PM
Post #58
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

BEST ALBUM ARTWORK

WINNER… A Perfect Contradiction by Paloma Faith (12 votes)

1989 by Taylor Swift (7 votes)
Only Human by Cheryl (7 votes)
Queen Of The Clouds by Tove Lo (4 votes)
Sheezus by Lily Allen (3 votes)

Taylor beat her to best female artist, but Paloma gets her own back by snatching the award for best album artwork with her stunningly busy yet simple artwork! Taylor’s 1989 cover, which fits well with the Polaroid theme of the booklet, is 5 votes behind, tied with Cheryl’s stunningly beautiful cover for Only Human. The same bottom two as we saw in album of the year trail behind, bringing up the rear.

+Quote this post
Cremey
post 5th January 2015, 09:11 PM
Post #59
Group icon
on a bench in coney island
User: 4,089

Hahaha so pleased Azealia won villain of the year. Thoroughly deserved, yet it's one of the reasons I love her.

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 5th January 2015, 09:12 PM
Post #60
Group icon
my anxiety attacks

The Veronicas are very deserving, pleased to see Union J pick up some votes, even if it wasn't a long-term smash, who would've thought they'd achieve an iTunes #1 and an official top 2 after how well they'd done previously. laugh.gif Also happy to see Ella pick up no votes as I didn't really think it fitted the category.

Agog at "Home" picking up so many votes, as much as I really like the song I can't say the chart performance surprised me. Smells like a Ryan fix x

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 08:48 AM