BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Hold It Against Me • 10 Years
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Nick F1
post 10th January 2021, 07:55 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 5,392

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JSG
post 10th January 2021, 12:13 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 18,473

This is one of my favourite songs Britney has ever done and it's without a doubt my favourite Britney Video. wub.gif

+Quote this post
Slayer
post 10th January 2021, 09:45 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 120,499

Ugh I love it!

I can't believe she hasn't performed it since 2011!!

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 13th January 2021, 09:19 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

The hype for this was massive at the time. It's great that it smashed in the US, not phased at all by the rush-release due to a leak, but it should have been managed so much better in the UK. They weren't even going to release until February 20th! They brought the release forward of course but not until the song had been available everywhere else in the world for a full week. It was all so messy and uncertain.

The video premiered 17th February so I wonder if the original plan was to release the song and video at the same time. I can remember the video being teased for what felt like ages, with snippets being shared each day, although I seem to recall such a build up leaving me disappointed with the finished result

As for the song, I remember it being so different to anything I'd heard, not just the dubstep but the 'anti-chorus'. I enjoyed it a lot but it definitely took some getting used to hearing the song build and build only to cut out into the next verse.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 13th January 2021, 09:19 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Also can we just appreciate:

+Quote this post
Klumzee
post 13th January 2021, 10:48 PM
Post #6
Group icon
#TeamAnneMarie
User: 11,421

I remember the premiere for this and the hype within its thread on here so vividly. Probably the first big pop girl release I experienced on here and it was everything! Still love this song to this day despite the fact it's not too loved anymore! It's perfectly dramatic and was possibly the first big mainstream song to include a dubstep & trance breakdown. Truly epic heart.gif

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 14th January 2021, 12:46 AM
Post #7
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

I loved it initially and still bop to it every now and then, but it's very throwaway and hasn't aged brilliantly.

Whereas the opposite was true about the follow-up single, I thought that was nothing brilliant at first but emerged as a total anthem over time.

Shame this was her last outing on the Radio 1 playlist before they dumped her.

+Quote this post
inactiveaccount
post 14th January 2021, 09:44 AM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 1,030

I remember emailing BBC why they wouldn't playlist 'Till The World Ends' or 'I Wanna Go' and they were like "it doesn't fit with our radio sound" or something to that effect... so I asked why it was her biggest radio hit in the US at the time and they never replied lol.

'Hold It Against Me's video truly is remarkable... I don't know if I created a narrative of the imagery in the video but one thing I've loved is how autobiographical the video is... the white dress representing innocence, when she logs onto POF and meets a man, shes seen in a red outfit with red suggesting a danger or rebellion before she literally destroys her white dress and suddenly we see her fighting with herself before all Britney's fall down... she comes back stronger but dressed in black... suggesting that while she's BACK... there is a sense of darkness around her... it truly is fascinating.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 14th January 2021, 01:14 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Lol at Radio 1 rolling out the "it doesn't fit with our radio sound" excuse. It was more commercial sounding at the time than 'Hold It Against Me' and I don't think their audience lost interest in Britney in the space of a single, especially when, I seem to recall, it got played a lot on Capital (or was it still Galaxy at that point?). I'd say it challenges only 'Work Bitch' for her most known/loved single of the last decade.

I saw that interpretation on here when I read back through the original 'Hold It Against Me' thread. I can definitely see that and we know that Britney likes to drop hints about her life through her music videos. It makes me see the video in a better light, but I do remember at the time it didn't live up to the huge hype.

+Quote this post
Nick F1
post 14th January 2021, 06:33 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 5,392

That dubstep breakdown still goes so hard wub.gif

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread