BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Local elections 2019
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
ElectroBoy
post May 3 2019, 10:44 AM
Post #41
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 3,002
   No Gallery Pics

I'm in Chelmsford where the Conservatives were in control with quite a big majority on the Council.

Lib Dems overturned that massive majority biggrin.gif

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Harve
post May 3 2019, 10:51 AM
Post #42
Cœur poids plume
Member No.: 4,718
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Rooney @ May 3 2019, 10:26 AM) *
I voted Labour mainly because their manifesto for my City actually looked more sligned to my views rather than the Lib Dems.

9 years of Conversative and Labour are still losing seats? Can someone just oust Corbyn please, there is no way he is ever winning a General Election. My only concern about the Labour-Conservative hammering is it might make them both make a speedy resolution to Brexit to avoid getting hammered in the Euro Elections too.

A Lab-Con pact and a speedy resolution to Brexit would benefit the natural home of happy Brexiteers, the Conservatives, and do absolutely nothing to help Labour. Hopefully they realise this!

Not saying that this inherently means that going full FPBE helps Labour either, but I do think they would benefit from going in that direction.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post May 3 2019, 10:55 AM
Post #43
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

Good news for everyone from Jacob Fleece-Mogg's Somerset constituency, he who has moved his business interests to ireland showing his commitment to the well-being of UK business after Brexit but can't bring himself to vote for a Brexit deal. yes him.

Con 28%

(Libdem 67%, Labour 5%)

I know it's wrong to feel good about the misfortune of others, but when they are habitual self-interested liars it's a struggle not to.

+Quote Post
Harve
post May 3 2019, 10:57 AM
Post #44
Cœur poids plume
   No Gallery Pics

Meanwhile the Derbyshire Dales where I grew up (but voting across the border in more Brexity Staffordshire), Greens have been elected there for the very first time with many Lib Dem gains and a sole Labour gain too. This has pushed the Tories down to a majority of 1 after having had a solid majority for over 20 years. That makes me a lot more positive about my local area for when I return in the summer.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post May 3 2019, 11:12 AM
Post #45
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(ElectroBoy @ May 3 2019, 11:44 AM) *
I'm in Chelmsford where the Conservatives were in control with quite a big majority on the Council.

Lib Dems overturned that massive majority biggrin.gif

One of the highlights of the night!

+Quote Post
Rooney
post May 3 2019, 11:39 AM
Post #46
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

QUOTE(Harve @ May 3 2019, 11:51 AM) *
A Lab-Con pact and a speedy resolution to Brexit would benefit the natural home of happy Brexiteers, the Conservatives, and do absolutely nothing to help Labour. Hopefully they realise this!

Not saying that this inherently means that going full FPBE helps Labour either, but I do think they would benefit from going in that direction.

Unfortunately I think that is what is going to happen. Watching BBC newsnight now with Diane Abbott makes me tear my hair out. Most people seem to spinning the results as that people just want Brexit over with. I suspect if Labour don't back a 2nd Referendum it's going to kill the party for a couple of generations.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post May 3 2019, 12:30 PM
Post #47
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Rooney @ May 3 2019, 12:39 PM) *
Unfortunately I think that is what is going to happen. Watching BBC newsnight now with Diane Abbott makes me tear my hair out. Most people seem to spinning the results as that people just want Brexit over with. I suspect if Labour don't back a 2nd Referendum it's going to kill the party for a couple of generations.

If Brexit happens both parties will take the blame for whatever happens over the next decade or 2. We've had a decade of austerity and it led to Brexit, people fed up with it and wanting to try another route on the offchance they might be better off. When they turn out to be worse off who they gonna blame? The politicians who lied about it and went along with it anyway.

If they don't deliver Brexit who they gonna blame? Same. Half the population will blame the politicians, as they'll feel a brave new marvellous world has been stolen from them.

The only way out for politicians is a referendum on the deal agreed with the EU. That way they get to blame the people and the people have no-one else to blame but themselves - they knew the facts and decided to go with it or stay as are.

If Labour & Tories refuse the referendum then they both deserve what they will get: blame from half the population and ongoing coalition governments for the foreseeable future. Serves 'em right for voting in utter numpties to lead them.

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post May 3 2019, 02:16 PM
Post #48
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929
   No Gallery Pics

It is quite amazing that given this entire results process being gains for anti-Brexit parties, in particular the Lib Dems, certain parties (Conservatives, the BBC in some areas of their reporting) are trying to spin this as a call to 'get on with Brexit'. But at the very least it does show that get Brexit wrong and voters won't be loyal to your party.

But that aside, it's good to see the Lib Dems get back to at least something approaching pre-coalition levels of local representation. Our politics is best when it's multi-party and, well, more European. Lib Dems + Greens now at 1,000 seats combined with about 2/3rds of the results announced.

+Quote Post
Harve
post May 3 2019, 03:10 PM
Post #49
Cœur poids plume
   No Gallery Pics

Why is Barry Gardiner MY NEMESIS back on the BBC

+Quote Post
lotita
post May 3 2019, 04:14 PM
Post #50
feminist icon (she/her)
Group: Site Empress
Member No.: 21,777
   No Gallery Pics

i couldnt vote in these elections (still not sure if its bc i dont get to vote in locals as an overseas voter or bc of some SHADY shit going on with my postal vote???) but rlly nervous to see what happens in dorset !!!! im hoping the lib dems do well, especially much locally to me up north i love my local lib dems

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post May 3 2019, 04:46 PM
Post #51
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(lotita @ May 3 2019, 05:14 PM) *
i couldnt vote in these elections (still not sure if its bc i dont get to vote in locals as an overseas voter or bc of some SHADY shit going on with my postal vote???) but rlly nervous to see what happens in dorset !!!! im hoping the lib dems do well, especially much locally to me up north i love my local lib dems

Me too, I'm still miffed I got moved out of Annette Brook's constituency and bunged in with a Poole Tory blowhard. I mean, yes I live in Poole, but at least my vote meant something then biggrin.gif

Colehill & Wimborne went Lib Dem x2:cheer: Ditto Dorchester east, Lytchett Matravers & Upton ( yahoo.gif down the road from me)

Corfe Mullen 1 Lib DEm, ditto Cranborne & Alderholt, Crossways, Poundbury, Sherborne East, Sherborne Rural, Sherborne West, Upwey, Winterborne.

A lot of these area names would fit into Game Of Thrones quite easily..... laugh.gif

+Quote Post
lotita
post May 3 2019, 04:51 PM
Post #52
feminist icon (she/her)
Group: Site Empress
Member No.: 21,777
   No Gallery Pics

come through sherborne!!!!

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post May 3 2019, 05:03 PM
Post #53
Howdy, disco citizens
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

As far as the English local elections are going, the results have been cataclysmic for the Tories (over 1000 seats lost so far), woeful for Labour (losing close to 100 seats when they really should be winning them), and fabulous for the Lib Dems & Greens. Better than expected for Ukip, who 'only' lost 100 net seats (even winning a few new areas, surprisingly). The 500+ independent councillors who have gained seats is also pretty extraordinary - some of them appear to be actual parties that have been classified as such, so interested to see the detailed breakdown of these, I know that at least 2 Ukip splinter groups have gained seats, including the far-right For Britain.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post May 3 2019, 05:05 PM
Post #54
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

https://twitter.com/bbcelection/status/1124...2248321/photo/1

Oh these "Results So far" are just SO delicious. Tories on 1100+ down, still heading for about 25% losses.

Labour on about 100 down, as I said earlier, and almost half the number of Tory seats. They have less Councillors than the combined non-Tories.

Spectacularly disastrous for both parties. No other word will do.

LibDems about 600 behind Labour, doubling their presence. I'm still hoping our non-declared new Council will stop being 95% Tory in Bournemouth & Christchurch, & Poole will go LibDem again. That will be SUCH a great way to start a new Council: voters saying "bugger off" to the decision to create a new urban authority, the resultant job losses & services cuts on top of Brexit from a very crybaby NIMBY Brexity Tory area.

+Quote Post
ElectroBoy
post May 3 2019, 05:39 PM
Post #55
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 3,002
   No Gallery Pics

Conservative losses now over 1250!

+Quote Post
Steve201
post May 3 2019, 05:49 PM
Post #56
Shakin Stevens
Member No.: 5,138
   No Gallery Pics

Bad night bloodbath of a day for the tories! How many would they have to lose for May to lose her leadership?

+Quote Post
Steve201
post May 3 2019, 06:00 PM
Post #57
Shakin Stevens
Member No.: 5,138
   No Gallery Pics

We have to look at these results in context the Lib Dems started from a extremely low base given the results of 2015 were a reaction to their coalition years. Also many of these seats were in areas tories normally do well in - there were no votes in London/Wales/Scotland were labour normally compete well. Also people say labour should do well 'at this stage of the electoral cycle' when we're are in extraordinary political times with 2016 being the starting point not 2010.

+Quote Post
crazy chris
post May 3 2019, 06:05 PM
Post #58
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 53
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Steve201 @ May 3 2019, 06:49 PM) *
Bad night bloodbath of a day for the tories! How many would they have to lose for May to lose her leadership?

She's said she's going. Be patient. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post May 3 2019, 06:28 PM
Post #59
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Steve201 @ May 3 2019, 07:00 PM) *
We have to look at these results in context the Lib Dems started from a extremely low base given the results of 2015 were a reaction to their coalition years. Also many of these seats were in areas tories normally do well in - there were no votes in London/Wales/Scotland were labour normally compete well. Also people say labour should do well 'at this stage of the electoral cycle' when we're are in extraordinary political times with 2016 being the starting point not 2010.

It is perfectly true that the Lib Dem results need to be put into context. That said, they have done a lot better than simply winning back the seats they lost four years ago when their results were dreadful. Similarly, Labour's results four years ago were not great, so to do even worse than that is a terrible result for them.

Here in Brighton and Hove, the Lib Dems matched their national performance by doubling their number of seats. To zero.

+Quote Post
Klaus
post May 3 2019, 06:34 PM
Post #60
❤️❤️➕🟦
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

I think the significant gain in seats for the Green Party is really significant though. I feel they’ve always been consistent in their support base, with just a few seats here and there but this feels like the first step into the proper mainstream. If it was UKIP/Brexit Party doing the same, it would be headline news. And I’m neither a Green Party voter nor someone who complains about the stance of reporting

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:28 PM