BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 'A Very English Scandal', BBC One | starring Hugh Grant & Ben Whishaw
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Theonix
post 4th October 2017, 11:56 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BUY Phoenix on Amazon / STREAM Phoenix on Spotify
User: 8,661

Hugh Grant has been cast in his first UK TV role in 20 years alongside Ben Whishaw in 'A Very English Scandal', a true story following the affair of Jeremy Thorpe and Norman Scott in the 70s.

Article from Attitude:

Hugh Grant And Ben Whishaw To Play Lovers In New BBC Drama From Writer Of Queer As Folk

A Very English Scandal will dramatise one of the most shocking slices of 20th century British politics.

Hugh Grant and Ben Whishaw are set to play lovers in a brand new BBC drama series from the writer of Queer as Folk.

Set to air on BBC One next year, A Very English Scandal will tell the real-life story of Liberal Party leader Jeremy Thorpe’s desperate attempts to keep his relationship with model Norman Scott a secret.

Grant will take on the role of Thorpe in his first British television role in 20 years, while London Spy star Whishaw returns to the BBC for another LGBT-themed series after appearing in BBC Four’s Queers earlier this year.

Written by Queer as Folk‘s Russell T Davies, A Very English Scandal is being helmed by former EastEnders producer Dominic Treadwell-Collins and two-time Academy Award-nominated director Stephen Frears.

A plot synopsis for the tense three-part drama reads: “As long as his ex-lover Scott is around, Thorpe’s brilliant career is at risk. Thorpe schemes and deceives — until he can see only one way to silence Scott for good.

“The trial of Thorpe changed society forever, illuminating the darkest secrets of the establishment. The Thorpe affair revealed such breath-taking deceit and corruption that, at the time, hardly anyone dared believe it could be true.”

A Very English Scandal is set to air on BBC One next year.

I think it's due to air in 2018 (I saw a comment on Facebook along the lines of their competitor - Gay Times - mentioning a date but Attitude failing to do so, lol) so still quite a while a way but there is a promo pic in the article.

Interested to see Hugh Grant in this, I don't think I've actually watched any of his latest roles and it's obviously going to be very different from his Richard Curtis film roles! I'm not a huge fan of Ben Whishaw's although his role in the James Bond series is very well played and I appreciate that he is a great actor.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Botchia
post 12th May 2018, 09:51 AM
Post #2
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753

Trailer is out! It looks very good!

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 20th May 2018, 11:06 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

As I remember the events portrayed I've been looking forward to this. It was a good first episode with Hugh Grant showing he can actually act and a typically brilliant performance from Ben Whishaw.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 21st May 2018, 08:07 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ May 21 2018, 12:06 AM) *
As I remember the events portrayed I've been looking forward to this. It was a good first episode with Hugh Grant showing he can actually act and a typically brilliant performance from Ben Whishaw.

Have you not seen Paddington 2?! They both got rave performance reviews...

Does it have bears in it? laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 21st May 2018, 08:27 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ May 21 2018, 09:07 AM) *
Have you not seen Paddington 2?! They both got rave performance reviews...

Does it have bears in it? laugh.gif

I haven't seen either of the Paddington films.

There was a horse and some bunnies. Do they count? Oh, and Ben Whishaw's bare chest so that's a sort of bear.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 3rd June 2018, 10:12 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

The final episode was a reminder of the extent to which George Carman (Thorpe's defence barrister) tore the prosecution witnesses to shreds. I remember reading the reports at the time. Then there was the extraordinary summing up by the judge, slagging off two of the major prosecution witnesses. Good to see a brief extract of Peter Cook's parody of that summing-up laugh.gif

Overall, it was very good with a great script and excellent performances from the main cast.

+Quote this post
Hide&Seek
post 30th July 2018, 11:05 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 3,500

I would usually avoid anything with Hugh Grant, never though he was much of an actor. A Very English Scandal made me change my mind.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 11:16 PM