BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lewis's Top 1000 of The Decade (2010's)
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
LewisGT
post Mar 24 2020, 09:37 PM
Post #41
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 18,293
   No Gallery Pics

Breach

Ben Westbeech is a British DJ and producer originating from Hertfordshire who spent his formative musical years in Bristol. Trained as cellist and vocalist, his influences include house, soul, jazz and hip hop.

518 Jack

One of the biggest injustices in my chart dates back to the year I started when Jack (2013, #1, EOY #64) beat Selena's Come & Get It to the top spot. This would be the dictionary definition of a non-#1 in my chart, that was indeed the only week it was ever above C&GI and it only managed 4 weeks in my top 20 overall (vs Selena's 19). The song is ok but got boring very quickly and the video is just awful. One of the worst chart toppers here unfortunately. This comment has been a bit too negative. It's catchy but non-essential.

Brett Domino

Brett Domino is the alter-ego of musician and comedian Rob J Madin. As Brett Domino, he is a YouTube musician and internet celebrity from Chesterfield, North East Derbyshire, England, UK. He is best known for his YouTube videos, in which he plays covers, medleys and original songs on various musical instruments, most notably the keytar and Stylophone. His band The Brett Domino Trio currently consists of only two members, Domino and "Steven Peavis" (Ste Anderson) after having only actually been a three-piece for around a year, "Mitch Hutchinson" (Michael Denny) left the band in 2009 to become a forklift truck driver.

267 Gillian McKeith

Gillian McKeith (2014, #1, EOY #57) was a novelty song timed during her spell on 2010's I'm A Celeb... where she of course become the biggest talking point in Britain by 'fainting' at thr news that she was to perform the live task. The fact that it made my chart 4 years after the event shows that I think it's actually a pretty fun song in its own right. The song is very quotable and funny; the line "you must have seen the show before with your eyes so reptilian" always gets me laugh.gif Brett Domino continued to make some fun YouTube videos afterwards to be fair. the 'how to make a hit pop song' series is pretty enjoyable and the songs always end up annoyingly catchy.

Bridgit Mendler

Bridgit Claire Mendler (born December 18, 1992) is an American actress, singer, and songwriter. In 2004, she began her career in the animated Indian film The Legend of Buddha. In 2009, Mendler signed with Disney Channel and played Juliet van Heusen on Wizards of Waverly Place. Following the positive reception to her character, she landed the role of Teddy Duncan on the Disney series Good Luck Charlie, which ran from April 2010 to February 2014. Mendler also starred as Candace in the NBC sitcom Undateable (2015–2016) and Ashley Willerman in the musical television series Nashville (2017). In 2012, Mendler released her debut studio album Hello My Name Is.... It went on to peak at number 30 on the Billboard 200. The record spawned the lead single "Ready or Not" (2012), which was certified Gold and Platinum in various countries.

588 Ready Or Not

Ready Or Not (2013, #5 EOY #46) is very much of it's time. We feel like we're, musically, so far from this right now that it's hard to believe that this was only the early/mid 2010's. This was obviously a big hit at the time and one I personally really loved but it feels like it has been left it 2013 by both me and the public. Listening to it now, it doesn't sound as dated as I expected it to, it is still a fun little pop jam. Remarkably with Bruno Mars being the next artist, it will be 2 people in a row who's songs have referenced living next door to Oprah.

Bruno Mars

Peter Gene Hernandez (born October 8, 1985), known professionally as Bruno Mars, is an American singer, songwriter, record producer, multi-instrumentalist, and dancer. Born and raised in Honolulu, Hawaii, Mars moved to Los Angeles in 2003 to pursue a musical career. He is known for his stage performances, retro showmanship, and for performing in a wide range of musical styles, including pop, R&B, funk, soul, reggae, hip hop, and rock. Mars is accompanied by his band, The Hooligans, who play a variety of instruments, such as electric guitar, bass, piano, keyboards, drums, and horns, and also serve as backup singers and dancers.

Mars has sold over 130 million records worldwide, making him one of the best-selling music artists of all time. He has released seven number-one singles on the Billboard Hot 100 since his career launched in 2010, attaining his first five faster than any male artist since Elvis Presley.

??? Finesse (ft Cardi B)
??? Nothin' On You (B.O.B. ft Bruno Mars)
538 Billionaire (Travis McCoy ft Bruno Mars)
717 Mirror (Lil Wayne ft Bruno Mars)

Until Finesse, Bruno Mars had been an artist of which who's solo work I was really not a fan. And while he has since gone back to releasing music that does nothing for me, Finesse is a massive triumph and has made my top 250 for the decade. Other than that, he's had a few good features where he's provided a decent hook but all his own massive hits have been annoying for me.

This post has been edited by ┴פsᴉʍǝ˥: Mar 24 2020, 09:38 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post Mar 26 2020, 08:59 PM
Post #42
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Buckwheat Groats

Buckwheat Groats are a New York based rap-duo consisting of members Penis Bailey The Bailey and Lil' Dinky (aka Deff Janiels).

329 Tom Hanks

If you were to ask me what the funniest video created during the 2010's was I would probably have to say this one. If you ever wanted to see Tom Hanks murder a cop or get a lap dance then this is the video for you. Endlessly quotable ("Sally Field my sidepiece, Meg Ryan my boo thang", "y'all motherf****rs make me Vom Hanks"), this is the perfect tribute to the proclaimed GOAT of acting. Get well soon to the real Tom Hanks.

Buddy

Simmie Sims III (born September 10, 1993), known professionally as Buddy, is an American rapper, singer, dancer and actor. He is a member of the hip-hop supergroup Zoink Gang, with JID, Smino and Guapdad 4000.

??? Wells Fargo (J.I.D, Buddy, Earthgang & Guapdad 4000)
773 1993 (Buddy, Smino, Cozz, Earthgang, J.I.D & J. Cole)

1993 (2019, #2, EOY #72) is another song that I find very funny. It was recorded during the Revenge of the Dreamers III sessions and shows a scene where Buddy just wants to chill and smoke weed whilst getting increasingly agitated by the rapping of the other people beside him ("Stop rapping n***a, this is not a rap session! We gettin' high"). Some of the verses are so good that you get annoyed when Buddy cuts them off though, especially JID's verse. laugh.gif

Bugzy Malone

Aaron Davis (born 20 December, 1990), better known by his stage name Bugzy Malone, is a British rapper and actor, from Manchester, England. Malone has been described as one of the key artists instigating a "grime revival" moving the UK urban scene away from more commercially oriented music and the first artist in the grime genre from Manchester to have commercial success in the UK.

587 Through The Night (ft DJ Luck & MC Neat)

A Little Bit Of Luck is one of my all-time favourite songs so Through The Night (2017, #4, EOY #65) had a lot to live up to using that sample and to Bugzy's credit, he used it really well. I haven't properly got into any other of his singles but just hearing that famous chorus makes me love this. The song is firing shots everywhere culminating with a killer blow for other MC's in the last verse. Even though it was uploaded to Bugzy's YouTube channel the video has currently been blocked on copyright grounds. wacko.gif

Busta Rhymes

Trevor George Smith Jr. (born May 20, 1972), known professionally as Busta Rhymes, is an American rapper, musician, singer, record producer, record executive, and actor. Chuck D of Public Enemy gave him the moniker Busta Rhymes, after NFL and CFL wide receiver George "Buster" Rhymes. He is known for his outlandish style and fashion sense as well as his intricate and high-speed rhyming technique. He has received 11 Grammy Award nominations for his work.

??? Calm Down (ft Eminem)
??? Thank You (ft Q-Tip, Lil Wayne & Kanye West)

Concluding a very rap-heavy section is Busta Rhymes. Both of his hits here were #1's and have made the top 250. Well done to one of the best fast rappers of all time; Busta Rhymes!

This post has been edited by ┴פsᴉʍǝ˥: Mar 26 2020, 09:00 PM

+Quote Post
Beverly 💪
post Mar 28 2020, 05:12 PM
Post #43
An hourglass is just a glass
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

Jack is such a fun dance track, one of the best of its kind, I Loved You is a brilliant collaboration as well!

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post Mar 29 2020, 09:34 PM
Post #44
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Mar 28 2020, 06:12 PM) *
Jack is such a fun dance track, one of the best of its kind, I Loved You is a brilliant collaboration as well!

Two of my favourite dance tracks of the decade there!

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post Mar 29 2020, 09:34 PM
Post #45
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Cadet

Blaine Cameron Johnson (2 March 1990 Ė 9 February 2019), known professionally as Cadet, was a British rapper, songwriter and record producer. The younger cousin of Krept, Johnson began pursuing a solo career as a rapper in 2011, releasing a number of freestyles through YouTube outlets such as OSM Vision and Link Up TV.

469 Advice (Cadet & Deno Driz)

Advice (2018, #3, EOY #51) was one of the rare few songs that completely won me over in one listen. The playful dynamic between Cadet & Deno works perfectly, it feels like a big brother talking to their younger brother and the chorus where they go back and forth is a massive earworm. It's hard to believe that the song started off as just a quick freestyle after the Dele Alli eye celebration briefly took over social media.

Rest in peace to Cadet. It's now been a year since the tragic car incident and recently the driver responsible has been sentenced to 4 years in jail.

Calum Scott

Calum Scott (born 12 October 1988) is an English singer and songwriter. In 2015, he became known worldwide after competing on the popular television show Britain's Got Talent. He subsequently released his version of Robyn's hit "Dancing On My Own" as a single, which reached number two on the UK Singles Chart and became the best-selling song that summer in the UK.

554 Dancing On My Own

It might be sacrilegious to say it on here, but I've never really enjoyed Robyn as an artist and think the original Dancing On My Own is rubbish. I think it sounds a bit trashy and devoid of any emotion whereas Calum Scott's cover (2016, #5, EOY #51) is a massive improvement. The live version sounded better but even in the studio version his voice sounds interesting and he manages to sell the weight of the song really well.

Calvin Harris

Adam Richard Wiles (born 17 January 1984), known professionally as Calvin Harris, is a Scottish DJ, record producer, singer, and songwriter. Harris has received twelve Brit Award nominationsĖwinning British Producer of the Year in 2019, and four Grammy nominations, winning Best Music Video in 2013. In the same year he also received the Ivor Novello Award for Songwriter of the Year from the British Academy of Songwriters, Composers, and Authors. He also topped Forbes' list of the world's highest-paid DJs for six consecutive years from 2013 to 2018.

471 Feels (ft Pharrell Williams, Katy Perry & Big Sean)
726 One Kiss (Calvin Harris & Dua Lipa)
828 Drinking From The Bottle (ft Tinie Tempah)
919 Slide (ft Frank Ocean & Migos)
998 Off The Record (Tinchy Stryder ft Calvin Harris & Burns)

Most of my favourite work from Calvin Harris came before 2010. The Girls, Dance Wiv Me, Holiday, Acceptable In The 80's were all tunes but I he hasn't managed the same success rate since with me.

Feels (2017, #1, EOY #29) is a song that I've placed too low here (it should really be ~350ish) but I can't change it move it without huge ramifications for everything else so here it stays. At first it seemed like the oddest amalgamation of artists but it somehow works. Sean's verse is the highlight but I do really enjoy Katy's chorus too.

One Kiss (2018, #5, EOY #50) is a song that I never truly loved at any point but managed to get a long run in my chart by getting the odd listen over an extended period of time. It did get overplayed to the point of over-saturation though. I'm still bitter about it denying No Tears Left To Cry a #1 too mad.gif

Drinking From The Bottle (2013, EOY #86) was a song that was released when I was still big on Tinie Tempah and is one I got bored of very quickly and haven't gone back to since. Slide (2017, #7), on the other hand, was one I was incredibly late getting into. It's easily the coolest song Calvin has ever released with Frank Ocean sounding so smooth and Migos doing their thing. Has held up really well.

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post Sunday, 03:51 PM
Post #46
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Camila Cabello

Karla Camila Cabello Estrabao (born March 3, 1997) is a Cuban-American singer, songwriter, and actress. She rose to prominence as a member of the girl group Fifth Harmony, formed on The X Factor USA in 2012. While in Fifth Harmony, Cabello began to establish herself as a solo artist with the release of the collaborations "I Know What You Did Last Summer" with Shawn Mendes, and "Bad Things" with Machine Gun Kelly.
After leaving the group in late 2016, Cabello's debut studio album, Camila (2018), reached number one on the Billboard 200 chart. The Latin music-influenced pop album was well received by critics, and received a Platinum certification by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). Its lead single "Havana" topped the charts in several countries including the US and UK.
Cabello has amassed billions of streams on music platforms. She has the best-selling digital single of 2018 according to International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI). Cabello has won many awards throughout her career, including two Latin Grammy Awards, five American Music Awards, and one Billboard Music Award. She has also received three Grammy Award nominations.

??? Havana (ft Young Thug)
321 Living Proof
351 Bad Things (Machine Gun Kelly & Camila Cabello)
376 Never Be The Same
416 Know No Better (Major Lazer ft Travis Scott, Camila Cabello & Quavo)
470 Shameless
535 I Know What You Did Last Summer (Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello)
562 Cry For Me
657 Liar
665 Into It
751 Crying In The Club
917 Real Friends
940 This Love
971 Consequences

As you will see soon if you continue to follow this thread, I was a massive Fifth Harmony fan and my favourite member was always Camila. So when she left the group, I was saddened but very excited to see the progression of her career. I was very hyped for her debut as a soloist and the song she chose to announce herself with was Crying In The Club (2017, #5, EOY #70). The track was penned by Sia, and you can tell as she sounds exactly like a Sia clone on it. I forced myself to like the song because my expectations were so high going in but it was clear that this was not the direction Camila needed to go in to have a successful solo career. However, she then next came back with a double release in 2017, with one of these songs being Havana. This song sounded fresh and unique and helped Camila build her own identity and shot to #1 on both sides of the Atlantic and has made my top 250. I was meant to see Camila for the first time in concert next month but unsurprisingly, but no less disappointingly, it has been postponed.

The rest of the songs Iím going to go through by album, starting with her debut, Camila. Never Be The Same (2018, #5, EOY #36) was the single after Havana for her and was another great song and smash hit. This had a massive run in my chart over 2017-18 but itís not one that Iíve listened to much over the past year. The song really gives Camila a chance to show off her unique and interesting voice. Listening again now and Iím really enjoying it. I might need to start giving it a few spins again. Into It (2018, #6, EOY #100) was my favourite album-track from Camila and is still a song I love to listen to. I know everyone wanted ĎShe Loves Controlí to be a single but this was easily my choice. A really fun pop song with a cute and catchy chorus, this is a massively underrated one. Real Friends (2017, #5) was released at the same time as NBTS and, for one week, was my favourite of the two. A remix with Swae Lee gave it a very short second wind in my chart but in all honestly didnít really add anything to the song. A much gentler track than the big hits from the album, the acoustic guitar is a nice touch and the chorus is deceivingly understated as it remains with you long after you last heard it. Consequences (2018, #17) was the final single and the ballad from the album. Iím not too shocked it never caught on, itís really pleasant but doesnít scream single.

Romance snuck in right at the end of the decade and provided Camila with three #1s in my chart even if her reception is the official charts across the world was much more muted. Living Proof (2019, #1, EOY #39) is quickly establishing itself as one of my favourite tracks of which Camila has been involved. I was initially put off by the high-pitched falsetto in this single but as soon as I heard the album that feeling went away and it shot straight to the top of my chart. Iím so sad that the whole world slept on this one, it couldnít even make the UK or Billboard Top 100 despite being a beautiful, standout track. Shameless (2019, #1, EOY #42) was obviously released as Camilaís comeback alongside a song still to come and while this felt like the less-commercial of the two, it was the one that made the largest impact on me and topped my chart. This song feels so ďcoolĒ. Itís much more mature than most of her other releases and honestly feels like it wouldnít have been out of place had it been released by someone which much more indie-cred. Neither Cry For Me (2019, EOY #81) & Easy hit me when they were released which was making me nervous about the impending album. However, when Romance was released everything started to fall into place and Cry For Me even managed to fight its way to becoming my the first #1 in my chart in the 2020ís. The chorus is so strong and one of the best of the past year. The little bridge feels a bit rocker than the rest of her music and gives slight Dangerous Woman vibes which is never a bad thing. Liar (2019, #2, EOY #45) was the track that ultimately outshone Shameless to become the 1st single from Romance. Despite coming on the tail of a worldwide #1 in her collab with boyfriend Shawn Mendes, sounding uber-commercial and very reminiscent of Havana it underperformed peaking at #21 in the UK and #52 in the US. I like the vibe of this track, itís very fun and bouncy even if I wouldnít say it is a fave of mine. This Love (2019, #10) was my favourite album track from Romance. Itís a ballad with elements of RnB and rock and is much more impactful than the ballad from her debut album. She doesnít swear too often in her music which makes the instances of f-bombs here all the more hard-hitting.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th April 2020 - 04:39 AM