BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Kylie: The Album ● album discussion, 1st album ● 1988 ● vinyl release: 24th November
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post 7th May 2020, 12:23 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

A thread to discuss everything about 1988's Kylie.

1. I Should Be So Lucky
2. The Loco-motion
3. Je ne sais pas pourquoi
4. It's No Secret
5. Got To Be Certain
6. Turn It Into Love
7. I Miss You
8. I'll Still Be Loving You
9. Look My Way
10. Love At First Sight
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 7th May 2020, 01:23 PM
Post #2
Group icon
User: 13,007

It's become a bit of a running joke for a few of us on here (Jay, Joseph in particular), that this album cover is horrendous laugh.gif I genuinely thought when I first saw it, that it was straw coming out of her hat! I can't unsee it now and nor can the others.

However, after mocking the cover... I actually gave the album a few spins and it's not bad! I think I first listened a while ago but never returned to it. The opening three tracks are really good. 'Je ne sais pas pourquoi' is my favourite on the album wub.gif

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 7th May 2020, 01:29 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(Hauspital* @ May 7 2020, 02:23 PM) *
It's become a bit of a running joke for a few of us on here (Jay, Joseph in particular), that this album cover is horrendous laugh.gif I genuinely thought when I first saw it, that it was straw coming out of her hat! I can't unsee it now and nor can the others.

However, after mocking the cover... I actually gave the album a few spins and it's not bad! I think I first listened a while ago but never returned to it. The opening three tracks are really good. 'Je ne sais pas pourquoi' is my favourite on the album wub.gif

I think it's kinda iconic! laugh.gif It did take me a lot of years to realise that was her actual hair and it's only a brim of a hat! :')

The album is towards the bottom of my album ranking as it's very of its time and there's much more adventurous and interesting sounds, themes and lyrics explored in later albums, but it is a fun pop record. 'Turn It Into Love' would be my main takeaway from it.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 7th May 2020, 01:45 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

I always liked the cover and prefer the cover to enjoy yourself. I still like the album aswell and it still fits with who kylie was back then. Je ne sais pass pourquai was such a different song for that time and very dif to anything pwl were producing. It's my least liked of the singles from the album but I still like it.There is no bad song on the album at all.

+Quote this post
Dannyboy
post 7th May 2020, 03:51 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 632

Why Turn it into love wasn’t a single is beyond me, I never listen to Locomotion but other than that I love this album

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 7th May 2020, 06:31 PM
Post #6
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

These album thread's are a perfect excuse to show off my reviews, starting with well the one that started it all...

I Should Be So Lucky
Talk about a perfect starting point with the song that set everything into motion, and everything we know and love about Kylie can be traced back to this one song. I was very, very young when this came out and always remember begging my mother to get this for me, and eventually she caved in and bought the album on vinyl and became a long standing Kylie fan ever since. What can you say about this song that hasn't already been said. For many years it got ignored and ridiculed, but thankfully all that passed when she became relevant again in the early 00's, and this song has had the last laugh and probably still ranks as her signature tune (even over the other mega smash hit) and the one that most people identify her with. And why the hell not, its pure 80's pop perfection with a cheesy but glorious hook that gets stuck in your head whether you like it or not. A definite classic.

The Loco-Motion
Kylie classic cover of Little Eva's 1962 hit and given that 80's PWL reproduction that gives us another iconic Kylie moment and her version probably stands as of now (and probably forever) as the most well known version of this cheesy classic. Sure its not one of her greatest moments and thankfully she's evolved much better through the years, but as this stands its a fun little pop track that became yet another smash hit for her at the time and setting her on a very successful career path.

Je Ne Sais Pas Pourquoi
Slowing things down a little bit now with this down-tempo pop number, which Kylie sings really well, her soft vocals sit well against the nice programmed musical backing. A really good strong number that even at this early stage in her career shows some well rounded maturity in her range, which would be better perfected by each release and of course this became the 4th single from this album and yet again becoming another massive hit. The title in English means 'Don't Know Why', in case anyone didn't know that.

It's No Secret
Probably the first song on here where Kylie really gets to stretch her voice and reach for those high notes in each chorus, while at the same time, being a really fun and bubbly pop song. This was due to be released as the 5th UK single, before being passed over for new material and while it would have been interesting, I highly doubt it would have quite reached the heights of the previous hits. But on the whole a really good strong album track that sits well on here.

Got To Be Certain
Another great slice of pure PWL pop perfection and of course the perfect choice to follow the mega smash lead single, with its wistful and fun pop sound that's very pleasing to the ear. A definite highlight of not only her early years, but her entire discography also. It never fails to put a smile upon your face.

Turn It Into Love
From that very first drum beat, this blasts its way in and never lets up, and Kylie's voice commands every verse and chorus which just soars to that whole other level in this rather wonderful gem of a track. This was a single, but only in Japan (they're so lucky), and it should have been released everywhere else, surely it would have been another smash.

I Miss You
We finally come to the first non-single track on the album with this rather sweet fluffy little pop number, that's very much a product of its time. But a nice little moment on the whole, very harmless and inoffensive.

I'll Still Be Loving You
Another down-tempo little number that's probably the closest thing to a ballad on this album, where Kylie reaches for those wonderful high notes on the slowed down chorus and giving us yet again another great little number and another strong album track.

Look My Way
Another decent little number that may not be as high energy as some of the other tracks on here, but still a very neat pop number with a catchy chorus and some great keyboards on the backing track, that gives this some real class.

Love At First Sight
The very first 'LAFS' closes this album and its a joyous slice of pop music, sure it doesn't compare to the true brilliance as its later namesake, but its still okay enough and a decent way to end this fun pop album.

I will be posting all the other reviews in their respective threads over due course, please tell me what u guys think...

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 8th May 2020, 10:42 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155

This album will forever have a special place for me - the height of Kylie mania, the first album I ever got on vinyl and I still go back and listen to it a lot.

It’s so if it’s era and such an inoffensive pop album. One of my favourite things in my collection is an original sealed copy of the vinyl album with the WHSmith £5.99 price sticker on the front laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 8th May 2020, 11:22 AM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I feel the same, it was the first album I ever owned but on cassette first, my sister bought it for me when she was on a holiday in the Uk but it was a good few weeks after it was released. I think it's a great debut and is great inoffensive happy pop.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 10th May 2020, 01:32 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155

QUOTE(Feel_The_Fever @ May 8 2020, 12:22 PM) *
I feel the same, it was the first album I ever owned but on cassette first, my sister bought it for me when she was on a holiday in the Uk but it was a good few weeks after it was released. I think it's a great debut and is great inoffensive happy pop.

Definitely - it’s also earned its place in Kylie history for being a great debut and pop album that set up her for a lengthy career.

Despite there being a lot of nostalgia attached to the album that aside I still think it is really good from start to finish. It’s dated but that’s what most 30 year old albums are I guess laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 10th May 2020, 01:47 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Ya I still think it sound good today, dated in parts but every decade of music has that to it. Many drream to have a debut as successful as this and some of the singles from the album still get placed over 30 tears later.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 10th May 2020, 03:07 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031

Kylie's debut marked her territory in the market perfectly.
Inoffensive pop music, easy to remember songs matched with a warm unique personality from a future music icon.

This post has been edited by pippa: 10th May 2020, 03:08 PM

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 10th May 2020, 03:53 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Kylies personality really was a huge part of her success then and its the same now. Her personality was a big player in the promotiin of her first album and it was the same again with golden.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 10th May 2020, 05:57 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

There is an evident warmth to Kylie's personality that has stayed throughout her career.
With her debut, the girl next door image and personality comes across in the album.
The girl next door image and vibe remains to this day but, sultry clever and sexy are there too which is brought across on Golden.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 10th May 2020, 06:46 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I would add sasness to that.I have huge nostalgia when I think of the first album, I clearly remember getting the album but it was only years later I managed to get the singles when I started working myself. I never bought any of the singles when released as I had no access to money, especially for you onwards I got the singles as they were released and I just loved the excitement of buying a new kylie single. I used to love reading the reviews in magazines such as smash hits and number 1 as it would be there I'd find out what the next single would be. Number 1 was also where I'd get to see the top 75 chart aswell and see where the album was each week. Kykie on totp was also something I loved aswell it was so really exciting when she would be on.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 27th June 2020, 04:27 PM
Post #15
Group icon
User: 13,007

I have given this album a LOT of time this week, and I absolutely love it wub.gif

Here is my album rank:

1. Je ne sais pas pourquoi
2. I Should Be So Lucky
3. Got To Be Certain
4. Turn It Into Love
5. It's No Secret
6. The Loco-motion
7. Look My Way
8. I Miss You
9. I'll Still Be Loving You
10. Love At First Sight

I don't dislike any of the tracks - it's so consistent. Apart from 'Je ne sais pas pourquoi' I don't think there are the dizzying heights that she is capable of later on in her career, but it's still such a joyous, nostalgic listen <3 Very similar feels to Madonna's debut (with 'Borderline' being the single stand out on that!).

+Quote this post
pippa
post 27th June 2020, 05:02 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

It remains very consistent and stands the test of time as a great debut album.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 27th June 2020, 05:18 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Interesting you like it so much, Bal! I like it but it's probably my least favourite Kylie album. I usually compare it to 'Like a Virgin' actually - two hugely successful albums, both straight-forward, catchy pop, but has been improved on time and time again. I'd say 'I Should Be So Lucky', 'Turn It Into Love' and 'Got to Be Certain' are the ones I return to, with 'The Loco-motion' also being fun but one I think works best in a live environment.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 27th June 2020, 05:52 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I've always liked the album and I prob return to same songs as you the most apart from the loco motion which I listen to alot. It is a straightforward album but I really enjoy it and there isnt a single track that I can say I dont like.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 6th July 2020, 01:33 AM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

The album is 32 years old this week.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 7th July 2020, 01:19 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Kylie has acknowledged it's birthday too.

+Quote this post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 01:31 AM