BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Top of the Pops reported to be returning to BBC One
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
April
post 19th April 2015, 04:52 PM
Post #21
Group icon
changed the game with that digital drop
User: 11,905

QUOTE(Rabbit Froot @ Apr 19 2015, 05:11 PM) *
It would probably get put in the 7:30 slot where 'A Question of Sports' currently sits and gets ~3 million and I could easily see TOTP getting similar numbers, I personally would see it getting 4 million!

I just think that some music based show is needed on primetime on either BBC One or ITV. Later with Jools Holland is the only real specific music show currently on terrestrial TV and it's not really a place for the majority of mainstream acts. Aside from that, there's only really chat shows/reality shows where music acts can perform.

7:30 would be a tough slot to try and grow an audience against Corrie. 8:30 would be better since many people usually don't bother returning for the 2nd Corrie these days, plus it would get the EastEnders lead-in to try and attract some viewers.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 19th April 2015, 04:56 PM
Post #22
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

At the end of the day, if they choose to bring it back, it'll be aimed at the kids which is what the new show on CBBC is going to do. Everything about music is aimed at a teen audience these days and they are the more likely people to watch. So I can't see at the moment, the BBC bringing this back when another show assumingly just like it is already underway.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 19th April 2015, 04:56 PM
Post #23
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

CD:UK could never.

Seriously though, I'd welcome this so much! I know they're trying to do that CBBC chart thing, but its demographics are pre-teens, so we really need a show like this with a mass audience back. The more music shows, the better! wub.gif

+Quote this post
The Hit Parade
post 19th April 2015, 05:19 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 18,521

Now I'm really sure 'Sugar' used to have an intro.

+Quote this post
Riser
post 19th April 2015, 05:22 PM
Post #25
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534

QUOTE(The Hit Parade @ Apr 19 2015, 01:19 PM) *
Now I'm really sure 'Sugar' used to have an intro.

Wrong thread tongue.gif

+Quote this post
The Hit Parade
post 19th April 2015, 06:32 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 18,521

That'll teach me to try and do one last post before dinner.

+Quote this post
post 21st April 2015, 09:41 AM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

I think Top of the Pops would do great on Friday. Shame it won't happen. It's perfect background Tv for if you're going out etc.

The CBBC idea is ridiculous - ostracising huge amounts of the audience.

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post 22nd April 2015, 08:38 AM
Post #28
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208

I'm all for this happening - particularly if they get Dermot to front it. I know there is the CBBC one happening for when the chart's announced on Radio 1 as well but that is a programme essentially doing the very thing that killed it off - dismissing the chart and pop music as generally being 'for kids' and not to be enjoyed by anyone over a certain age.

The beauty of 'Top of the Pops' as I remember it (which for me was the 1998 - 2001 period when I'd just started getting into music, I'm sure it's different for others though) was the wild unpredictability of it all. With the new chart now being announced on Friday I think this element would ramp that factor up even more.

This was a show that was quite happy to have more serious acts like Oasis or Embrace on in the same line up as Steps or B*Witched. It was like a mini Now compilation in TV form every Friday night and as others have said it was good TV to have on while you were getting ready.

And it also provided some real what you might call 'water cooler' moments - I remember specifically the episode where Robbie Williams' 'Rock DJ' video got played exclusively for the first time and it was all my group of friends could talk about the following Monday - it offered that shared experience and excitement.

My point is I'm all for bringing it back, it just needs to be, as with 'Top Gear' and 'Doctor Who', a universal thing that everyone can watch as opposed to being limited to one audience - something the Andi Peters/Tim Kash years of the show got horribly wrong.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 07:50 PM