BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tokyo 2020 Coverage
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Mack.
post Aug 4 2021, 01:17 PM
Post #1
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

Just to ask what you have thought of the Tokyo 2020 Olympics coverage whereabouts you are.

For me I have been disappointed with the BBC's coverage given that there has been quite a big case of spoilers being revealed following on from their overnight coverage. Not showing the men's 100m semi-finals live or the women's 5000m. Not showing Simone Biles live in the gymnastics yesterday, I understand that with the new deal they only have two live streams but it must be frustrating when they suddenly switch over when you are trying to watch something.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Aug 4 2021, 07:21 PM
Post #2
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

I agree it's not been great. I'm not sure what the deal with Discovery channel was but it seems like they've come off with a really bad deal, the amount of coverage has gone down by 90% which is really significant. And if they can only have two streams, surely they should be making the most of the action instead of spending what seems like half its time interviewing random people? Sure, do that if you have one main channel and then options to watch the events in full on the red button, but when you don't then you really can't afford to waste that much time with interviews.

I know there's probably been a lot of discussion gone into it and there's not much they can do but it is quite irritating when there's a sport you want to watch that isn't there.

+Quote Post
Houdini
post Aug 4 2021, 07:53 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,725
   No Gallery Pics

I think the biggest problem has been the time zone difference which means that most of the action happens either very late in the night or it happens in the morning/early afternoon. It doesn't have the same feel when you're not watching live and watch highlights instead. It's like everything is done and dusted by 3 PM. Which is ironic in the case of the athletics because this has probably been one of the best Olympics for athletics in terms of the standard of what athletes are achieving. I could easily spend a whole evening/night watching it live but it's not possible. The Paris Olympics in 2024 will be a lot more accessible than these games.

+Quote Post
J❄️hq
post Aug 4 2021, 08:01 PM
Post #4
my anxiety attacks
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

Given the time difference and a lot of our medals being won whilst I'm asleep, the limited BBC coverage hasn't really bothered me that much tbh (for the first day or two I just assumed that the feeds available on iPlayer were literally the only events still going on live laugh.gif Maybe I thought Japan was further ahead than it actually is), I've been happy to just put on BBC One/Two and watch whatever they're showing during the day as I work from home. For Paris when the action will fully line-up with my awake hours, I'll definitely consider subscribing to Discovery for the month it's happening.

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Aug 4 2021, 09:30 PM
Post #5
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

I guess if you just want to see the best of the Olympic action and you're not too bothered about specific sports then the BBC coverage is fine, it gets in the best of the British action. It's when you're looking for a specific event that it can get annoying, for example my sister is really into the sport climbing and has had to buy a month's subscription to Eurosport to get all the action!

+Quote Post
RabbitFurCoat
post Aug 4 2021, 09:47 PM
Post #6
IncredibleSquirrel
Group: Members
Member No.: 118
   No Gallery Pics

The timezone definitely makes it a pain and I do think they have to do more round-ups and highlights as a result. I've enjoyed putting it on in the morning for an hour and seeing round-ups of what's been happening overnight, and think the quality of live action is fine considering the restrictions they have. I've had it on a couple of days in the background when I've been working which has mainly been for the cycling but other than that have just tended to watch Alex & Clare's highlights show in the evening which I've found decent.

I don't think a decision has been confirmed for Paris 2024 rights?

This post has been edited by RabbitFurCoat: Aug 4 2021, 09:48 PM

+Quote Post
King Rollo
post Aug 4 2021, 10:36 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 23,961
   No Gallery Pics

I think BBC1 have been doing a decent job in choosing which sports to show live although I agree that there is too much chat and not enough action on both the live coverage and the evening highlights programme. I don't have the BBC red button in Ireland but I do get the nine Eurosport channels and also RTE but I've been generally keeping to the BBC coverage. I like a bit of handball so I might watch the finals of that on Eurosport.

+Quote Post
Riser
post Aug 5 2021, 03:06 AM
Post #8
The horrors persist, but so do I
Member No.: 19,534

I'm watching on NBC and for the most part it's been fine. There are usually 3 or 4 channels showing Olympic coverage at any given time so easy enough to find something I like, and I'm not bothered about the time zone difference and not seeing everything live. The first week I noticed a lot of jumping back and forth to different sports and not even showing complete matches, so that was annoying but I haven't seen it happen this week.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:07 PM