BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
51 Pages V  « < 16 17 18 19 20 > »   
This thread is locked.Create a new thread
> Top of the Pops on Thursdays, bbc 4., Now into 1979
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
richie
post May 27 2012, 04:37 PM
Post #341
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller
User: 166
Yep, Milk & Alcohol, I knew that one smile.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
blackcat
post May 27 2012, 05:58 PM
Post #342
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 13,909
Yes, Grebo, right on both accounts, Lee unfortunately passed away in 1994 from cancer.

And thanks for the link, and the Julien Temple documentary recommendation. I have not seen the Dr Feelgood documentary, but if it is half as good as his docs on The Sex Pistols and The Kinks, then it will be worth a watch, I am sure.

And for anyone who has not heard Milk and Alcohol, please check it out on the internet - a terrific record.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post May 27 2012, 09:15 PM
Post #343
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
Finally got round to seeing the full 40 minute version on iPlayer. It’s quite frightening how many of these songs I could sing to myself before they started despite not hearing them for many years (or even decades). That Simon May song was awful. I vaguely liked it at the time but his voice was so flat! Thankfully it was followed by 10CC, a song I really liked at the time and it still sounds good. As so often with these repeats the only one I didn’t remember was the first song. That slot seems to have been reserved for a song which might be a hit but probably won’t be.

Still no Peter Gabriel sad.gif

+Quote this post
blackcat
post Jun 1 2012, 06:42 PM
Post #344
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
Yes, and still no Peter Gabriel, unfortunately. mellow.gif

I liked some of the records on this weeks edition, though. Nice, of course, to see The Jam, who arguably fell under the punk rock banner, although some would say that they were just an updated mod music band. A refreshing sound, whichever way you categorise it.

Maybe the Jacksons best ever song was on the show this week, "Show You The Way To Go". I assume that they were on a tour of the UK at the time, or doing some kind of Uk promotional work, hence the reason for them being in the Top Of The Pops studio.

Good songs from Heatwave, as well, and as novelty records go, Carol-Bayer Saker's offering was slightly better than your average run of the mill novelty song.

Linda Lewis singing Gilbert and Sullivan was a novelty by itself, of course! Did not realise that The Bay City Rollers were still having hits at this time - they were about to be sunk by punk!

Joe Tex's own novelty song was featured on the clip from the Soul Train show.

So an entertaining edition in some ways, but Rod's long stay at the top had just begun. Bad news for The Sex Pistols, I am afraid.

Trivia question for this week? Well, without looking it up, I can think of at least 3 white acts that would have appeared on America's soul train programme over the years, and they were all UK acts as well! Maybe your more knowledeable pop fan can name them, and maybe think of other white acts who appeared on the USA's premier soul show over the years.

All the best until next week. cool.gif

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Jun 1 2012, 07:58 PM
Post #345
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
I have no idea of any answers to your question so I shall make a guess at Dusty Springfield as one.

I rather liked the Carol Bayer-Sager song at the time and it still sounded decent enough last night.

The first appearance of the Jam was, of course, a very clear sign that things were about to change - thank goodness!

+Quote this post
ϑЃεβϘ
post Jun 3 2012, 06:52 AM
Post #346
Group icon
I Was Born Free
User: 1,751
I would have David Bowie and The Average White Band as two guesses for the Soul Train question.

+Quote this post
blackcat
post Jun 3 2012, 07:36 PM
Post #347
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
QUOTE(Grebo @ Jun 3 2012, 07:52 AM) *
I would have David Bowie and The Average White Band as two guesses for the Soul Train question.

Correct Grebo, well done, I only know of one other very very big UK star who made an appearance on the show. Maybe the UK's biggest ever solo act................

Sueudehead, I now where you are coming from with Dusty Springfield, but I believe that soultrain was launched in the seventies, probably a bit too late for her main Stateside hits.

+Quote this post
blackcat
post Jun 7 2012, 07:57 PM
Post #348
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
The other answer to the soul train question was, of course, Elton John.

Having goggled it, I see that white acts like Duran Duran and Michael Bolton later appeared on the programme as well.

No totps '77 this week, it is Sky At Night time. Back next week, I hope and assume.

If anyone is interested in punk, which is often discussed on this thread, of course, there is a "Punk Britannia" programme on at 9.00 p.m. on Friday's. The first one was interesting viewing, although as far as I am concerned, it did not start where punk really started, which in my view was back in the sixties with the "mod" groups.

The programme is on BBC Four, same as totps '77.

All the best. cool.gif

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Jun 7 2012, 11:54 PM
Post #349
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
The Jam are on again on Thursday biggrin.gif

I haven't bothered with Punk Britannia. There have been so many trailers for it that I'm bored before it has even started.

+Quote this post
blackcat
post Jun 15 2012, 07:09 PM
Post #350
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
Have seen the Thursday edition, not a great show, The Stranglers - who are probably my favourite punk band - and a good solid Bryan Ferry record, Tokyo Joe, being the highlights for me. The Stranglers Go Buddy Go was very punkish, better records lay ahead for them, of course. They were more musical than most punk bands, and should really have been a bigger group, as far as I am concerned.

ELO's Telephone Line is a song I well remember from that era, Jeff Lynn doing a bit of a Lennon-esk performance.

Liverpool Express were on, the Liverpool Football team of the time had a disc in the charts which played out the show, so with all these mersey references, the trivia question is obvious - at least 15 to 20 Scouse acts that have had hits in the UK singles or album charts, or both, over the years, apart from Liverpool Express.

I will start the ball rolling, a foursome I have heard of from Liverpool. Can anyone guess their name, I wonder...................... rolleyes.gif

I reckon that the average pop fan should be able to reel off at least 15 Liverpool acts that have graced the Uk charts since 1952.

All the best. cool.gif

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Jun 15 2012, 11:26 PM
Post #351
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Liverpool acts?

Our Kid laugh.gif
Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark
Teardrop Explodes
Echo and the Bunnymen
Gerry and the Pacemakers
Merseybeats
Frankie Goes To Hollywood
Cilla Black
A Flock Of Seagulls
Cast
The Lightning Seeds
Space
The Coral
Ken Dodd
The Icicle Works

+Quote this post
ϑЃεβϘ
post Jun 15 2012, 11:46 PM
Post #352
Group icon
I Was Born Free
The La's
The Farm
The Mighty Wah!
The Stairs
Oceanic
Ladytron
Black
China Crisis
Dead or Alive
Half Man Half Biscuit

+Quote this post
blackcat
post Jun 16 2012, 12:21 AM
Post #353
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
LOL! Sounds like we are going to end up with considerably more than twenty acts! Especially when one factors in all the sixties acts as well, of course.

Anybody have anything to say about the programme? Not really much cop this week, in my view. But top of the pops was designed to try and reflect the variety of music in the charts at the time, and from that point of view, I suppose it was representative of the music around at that moment in '77.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Jun 16 2012, 02:05 PM
Post #354
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
It was a pretty forgettable programme really although it was good to see an early appearance by THe Stranglers.

+Quote this post
richie
post Jun 19 2012, 07:27 AM
Post #355
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller
User: 166
Hmm, not many Liverpool acts left now, eh? I'll add Big in Japan though...and Dalek I Love You.

+Quote this post
blackcat
post Jun 24 2012, 01:40 AM
Post #356
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
Yes, among other Liverpool acts, not already mentioned, are The Searchers, The Fourmost, The Real Thing, and some other group who used to be called The Quarreymen, or something! unsure.gif

This week's episode hardly worth commenting on! A good song from Marvin Gaye, accompanied by delicious dancing by Legs & Co, the only highlight for me.

This week's trivia quiz concerns Rod The Mod, still at number one with The First Cut Is The Deepest. Please name his other UK number ones over the years - I remember at least three number one UK singles from Rod Stewart since he emerged as part of The Faces in the early seventies.

All the best. cool.gif

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Jun 24 2012, 09:34 AM
Post #357
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Sailing obviously. The dreadful Da Ya Think I'm Sexy was another. More might come to me later.

+Quote this post
ϑЃεβϘ
post Jun 25 2012, 07:32 PM
Post #358
Group icon
I Was Born Free
Maggie May and Baby Jane

+Quote this post
blackcat
post Jun 25 2012, 09:02 PM
Post #359
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
Yes, brownie points to both Suedehead and Grebo, Rod has had five number ones in the UK by my reckoning, as well as some UK number one albums. Pity that the Faces never officially had a number one, although he was singing the song Maggie May while still with the Faces.

The good news, from my musical taste point of view, is that The Small Faces did have a number one. dance.gif

All Or Nothing by the Small Faces reached number one in the UK in 1966, I am glad to say. Always preferred The Small Faces to the later Rod Stewart Faces band, I do have a copy of "Ogden's Nut Gone Flake", their chart topping 1968 masterpiece of an album. If anybody has any money to spare, that is well worth a listen.

As for Top Of The Pops 1977, let's hope for better stuff next time. sad.gif

+Quote this post
fiesta
post Jun 26 2012, 02:10 PM
Post #360
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 232
Rod Stewart also had a no.1 with You Wear It Well.

I love the Small Faces my fave band of the 60's along with the Beatles.

Never too keen on Rod and the Faces stuff, always fustrates me when people get confused and think that Rod was a member of the Small Faces. Musically they sound very different imo.

+Quote this post

51 Pages V  « < 16 17 18 19 20 > » 
This thread is locked.Create a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:31 PM