BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Justify My Love vs Erotica
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Which is your ultimate fantasy?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 19
Guests cannot vote 
HausofKubrick
post 21st November 2015, 01:01 PM
Post #1
Group icon
User: 13,007

Because i'm feeling extra saucy this weekend~ let's take a look at two of M's most blatantly sexualised and controverisal moments. The first, taken from the 'Immaculate Collection' is anything but immaculate, especially where the video is concerned. A vivid depiction of sadomasochism, voyeurism, and blurred sexuality was enough for MTV and other networks to ban it from TV. One of Madonna's most controversial songs and videos (and she's had a few) but in the midst of all of that stickiness there is a trippy, sensual song underneath.

The next song is the title track from her fifth studio album. The album's lead single and perfect depiction of its themes and messages - that of liberated sexuality and uncontrolled desire. Another video of dominatrix and control, it too was banned on MTV and went on to become another of her most controversial projects. The song is a deceptively powerful number with Madonna's spoken vocals alluring over the beat.

But which is our favourite? Vote based on the videos, the song themselves and the impact they have on you!

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
post 21st November 2015, 01:06 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
Justify My Love by a clear mile. I do like the latter though. No h8.

+Quote this post
vibe
post 21st November 2015, 01:58 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
I can't choose

I prob listen to erotica more but the video to JML is so good !!!

+Quote this post
Qween
post 21st November 2015, 02:05 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709
JML is a much better STATEMENT, but Erotica is infinitely better as a song.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 21st November 2015, 03:01 PM
Post #5
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692
Erotica by quite a way, I love the refrain of 'erotic, erotic'.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 21st November 2015, 04:27 PM
Post #6
Group icon
QUOTE(vibe @ Nov 21 2015, 01:58 PM) *
I can't choose

I prob listen to erotica more but the video to JML is so good !!!

This is my EXACT dilemma! I much prefer 'Erotica' as a song but the 'Justify My Love' video is incredible. I'll mull over it some more before committing to a vote thinking.gif

Maybe it needed two separate polls for video and song... :')

+Quote this post
vibe
post 21st November 2015, 04:47 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
JML was groundbreaking and historic . Still can't choose.

+Quote this post
RosaParksMyCar
post 21st November 2015, 06:46 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
User: 16,548
Almost impossible but i went with Justify My Love. Both are in her top ten best ever though.

+Quote this post
*Ben*
post 22nd November 2015, 10:42 AM
Post #9
Group icon
Chart Chat Slave
User: 275
Justify My Love is such a sexually heated song. I can remember when the video came out, MTV didn't play it daytime only in the night and as a kid when I sometimes woke up very early (I think before 6 or 7 am) I could catch it once or twice kink.gif

Erotica is also very good, although by far not my fave Madonna song. BUT there is a version of Erotica I first heard on the Confessions Tour which I love love love! I think it was actually the original version called You Thrill me, but never released(?).

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 22nd November 2015, 09:38 PM
Post #10
Group icon
After much thought, I have voted for 'Erotica'.. I had to base it on the song in the end - the 'Justify My Love' video is sensational but doesn't quite do enough to overtake 'Erotica' overall in my affections.

+Quote this post
post 22nd November 2015, 10:53 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Videos aside I still find JML just so much more original and infectious than Erotica!

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 28th January 2016, 06:20 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
Finally caught up on all of these so apologies for the abundance of commentaries!

Neither of these appealed to me at first but, as I've grown older, I've been able to appreciate them so much more.

'Justify My Love' does work well as a statement like John said: not only is the fact that it's a sexual sounding song with a trippy beat and whispered vocals stuck on an album full of grand pop moments that makes it stand out, but the lyrics themselves encourage people to be open with their sexual feelings with their partner and to be accepting of sex as a topic in general. To this date, it remains relevant because people are uncomfortable talking about sex or being truthful with their sexuality when in fact, and this is what I hear when I listen to the song, sex is a natural and positive part of a person's life. The controversy the song provoked means that people who can look passed the sensationalism can start to understand it and be much more accepting of this "taboo" subject. It definitely helps to watch this incredible interview to gain insight to the song (Madonna is such a great spokesperson and it shows how passionate she is with her music and art).

I think I prefer 'Erotica' as an actual song in these sense that it has a bit more melody and a singing hook which just makes it more appealing to me. It's also more fantasy-based than 'Justify My Love' is I think: she's taken on a role, the lyrics are more explicit in explaining what she wants her lover to do and what she wants to do to him whereas 'Justify My Love' just encourages the two to be honest with their own feelings. That doesn't mean there's not parallels between the two - both are at least partially intending to break down social barriers just by being so overtly about sex. I think when someone is confronted with something in such an explicit form, it makes them question, regardless of whether they're willing to accept or not, and that's a good step in the right direction. Oh and the Confessions Tour version is everything. heart.gif

My vote goes to 'Erotica' because I listen to it more and I have to watch the video for 'Justify My Love' to fully appreciate the song. As a whole package, 'Justify My Love' is better.

Can I just say that Madonna looks incredibly beautiful and sexy in the 'Justify My Love' video? Love her hair, make up and clothing. wub.gif

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post 11th February 2016, 01:20 AM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031
Definitely Erotica. Never been a big fan of Justify my love.

+Quote this post
RosaParksMyCar
post 18th March 2016, 12:38 AM
Post #14
Group icon
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
User: 16,548
Someone break this tie before my brain bleeds.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 18th March 2016, 01:01 AM
Post #15
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
Justify My Love!

+Quote this post
post 18th March 2016, 09:29 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Which will be higher in the rate though?

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 10:28 AM