BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> RIP Paul Cattermole
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
ThePensmith
post 8th April 2023, 07:51 AM
Post #41
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208

I don't know about anyone else but I slept awfully last night. I feel like I've been hit by a ton of bricks so I don't know how those close to him must feel.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
vibe
post 8th April 2023, 08:08 AM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

Such sad news , RIP Paul x

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 8th April 2023, 08:13 AM
Post #43
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

I also didn't sleep too well, I just couldn't stop thinking about Paul, and woke up today hoping it was a bad dream. Good Times has been in my head today so going to try and think about the happy times (and Paul gave us so many), but that doesn't take away from how tragic it is sad.gif

+Quote this post
Lukuzz
post 8th April 2023, 08:26 AM
Post #44
Group icon
Paradise With Ice Cream Skies♥
User: 1,209

So shocking and sad

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 8th April 2023, 08:39 AM
Post #45
Group icon
---
User: 17,418

Nice that we all get to listen to Love Train when we do our 7 listening party this week.

+Quote this post
Spice Girls Net
post 8th April 2023, 10:31 AM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 64,815

So very sad. The group must be devastated and even sadder when they were all so exited for the reunion.

It's always sad when someone who has been part of your childhood passes away and so young. RIP Paul

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 8th April 2023, 11:08 AM
Post #47
Group icon
---
User: 17,418

Saw this on the evening news tonight in Australia, after reading about it this morning. Still very sad.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 8th April 2023, 06:23 PM
Post #48
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217

Donation Link: https://nationalyouthmusictheatre.enthuse.com/donate#!/

sad.gif

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 8th April 2023, 06:24 PM
Post #49
Group icon

For millennials like me, S Club 7 and Paul Cattermole soundtracked our childhoods
by Nick Levine https://metro.co.uk/2023/04/08/paul-catterm...dhood-18577738/

It’s incredibly sad to see RIP Paul trending on Twitter this morning, a day after it was announced that Paul Cattermole had died suddenly and unexpectedly aged 46.

To any millennial pop fan like myself, Cattermole needed no surname – he was always just ‘Paul from S Club’, one seventh of a pop group that soundtracked our childhoods.

S Club 7’s last single came out nearly 20 years ago in May 2003, but the group’s nostalgic pull remains potent.

In February, they announced a UK and Ireland reunion tour – their first in eight years – and had to add extra dates to meet demand.

I was delighted the tour was such a draw that they even booked a special matinee show in London. After getting tickets, I felt excited to see my favourite S Club songs Natural and Love Ain’t Gonna Wait for You (hopefully) played live.

The group is currently scheduled to play 15 huge arena shows this October, but Paul’s death obviously throws these plans into question. ‘Paul’s family, friends and fellow members of S Club request privacy at this time,’ the band said in a statement yesterday.

In my capacity as a music journalist, I attended the group’s press conference for the reunion tour, which took place at a London hotel in mid-February. I wasn’t sure what to expect on the day, but came away feeling strangely comforted.

Not every pop comeback is done right – some are done with clenched jaws and nothing but a pay cheque in mind – but the warmth in the room was palpable.

The seven members – Paul, Tina Barrett, Jon Lee, Bradley McIntosh, Jo O’Meara, Hannah Spearritt and Rachel Stevens – had an easy camaraderie.

Everyone was given an equal opportunity to speak. In their heyday, S Club 7 were a gang that fans like me wanted to be a part of, and even 20 years later, their love for each other was clear and I still wanted to volunteer to be an extra member.

I also remember being impressed when Paul said that Flo, the UK’s hottest new girl-group, would be an ‘amazing’ support act for the tour. Clearly he had his finger on the pulse and was still interested in discovering brilliant new pop music.

In their late 90s and early 00s imperial phase, S Club 7 made plenty of that, but they were TV stars as well as pop stars. Put together by the Spice Girls’ former manager Simon Fuller, the group was precision-tooled for pin-up status.

By the time they released their debut single Bring It All Back in June 1999, Paul and his bandmates were already a huge deal thanks to Miami 7, a frothy sitcom in which they played fictionalised versions of themselves.

The show followed the group as they worked in a somewhat ropey Florida hotel while trying to make it big in the States, but the plot wasn’t really the point. Every week, they’d perform a new song.

As soon as it debuted on CBBC in April 1999, Miami 7 became appointment viewing when you got home from school on Thursday afternoon because it was fun seeing the band members bounce off one another and perform their bright, buoyant pop songs.

For me, those early S Club singles will always bring back memories of seeing my sister and her best friend standing in front of the TV, trying to imitate the group’s dance moves.

S Club Party, which they sang in the second episode and later released as a single, cleverly introduced each member in its lyrics: ‘Tina’s doin’ her dance, Jon’s lookin’ for romance, Paul’s gettin’ down on the floor, while Hannah’s screamin’ out for more. Wanna see Bradley swing? Wanna see Rachel do her thing? Then we got Jo, she’s got the flow…’

OK, it’s not poetry, but I guarantee that every British pop fan of a certain age – late twenties to early forties – can still quote it today.

My sister also happened to be called Jo, which only added to our excitement when watching along as kids, though as an 11-year-old, she maybe had a little less flow than her S Club namesake.

Like most groups of their era, S Club 7 didn’t really have a long lifespan. They packed a lot – four studio albums, 11 singles, further TV series including L.A. 7 and Hollywood 7 – into a four-year run that ended in 2003.

A year earlier, Paul had shocked fans by quitting the group to focus on his nu-metal band, Skua. When Paul explained that he wanted ‘to change musically’, it was disappointing but relatable. Even dyed in the wool pop fans like myself tend to have a brief rock phase.

Life after pop stardom can be incredibly tough, though we perhaps didn’t realise this in the early 00s when S Club 7 first bowed out. In recent years, Paul was remarkably candid about his financial difficulties.

+Quote this post
Slayer
post 8th April 2023, 10:58 PM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 120,499

Thank you for sharing Jay heart-old.gif

Jo, Tina, Rachel and Bradley reposted what was on S Club's story, with the link for donations.

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post 9th April 2023, 09:02 PM
Post #51
Group icon

I'm gonna donate some money to National Youth Music Theatre when I get paid later this coming week.

One thing that I have found a great comfort is seeing so many of the other bands from S Club's era - Steps, B*Witched, Blue, 911, Five - all rally around and offer their support and tributes.

Especially because this era of pop was often mocked, criticised and derided, it shows that there is real community there even though all those bands went on different journeys whilst sharing similar experiences.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 9th April 2023, 09:54 PM
Post #52
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

I hadn't commented on this until now but I'm so shocked at how unexpected and seemingly out of the blue this came. So sad indeed sad.gif

+Quote this post
Lee_his_cheeks
post 10th April 2023, 02:19 PM
Post #53
Group icon
Bum-bum-be-dum-bum-bum-be-dum-bum
User: 3,796

That’s shocking and really sad…..sad.gif

My thoughts go out to his friends and family heart.gif

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post 10th April 2023, 03:44 PM
Post #54
Group icon

Nicki Chapman - who of course was at 19 Management and involved with putting S Club together - paid tribute to Paul whilst standing in for Zoe Ball on the Breakfast Show on Radio 2 this morning and played "Reach". She said he was a really lovely guy and so enthusiastic about the band, and did love his rock music. She said she's also spoken to Tina, Rachel and Hannah and none of them can quite believe it.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 10th April 2023, 04:08 PM
Post #55
Group icon

I can't imagine how they must be feeling right now, I hope they're being looked after by loved ones and management.

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post 11th April 2023, 11:59 AM
Post #56
Group icon

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 11th April 2023, 12:10 PM
Post #57
Group icon

I just wanted to reach out and Thank everybody from the bottom of my heart for the love and kindness you have shown over the tragic passing of our sweetest soul Paul 💔 This has been utterly devastating , and I am totally shocked and heartbroken 💔 we have lost someone so incredibly special to us all , and there is a huge sense of sadness that will never go 😢
Paul will forever be a huge part of our lives , and I will forever treasure the memories we made ! I will love you always Paul , God bless you my darling , Rest in forever Peace
Love JoJo 🙏🏻 💔

sad.gif sad.gif

+Quote this post
Slayer
post 11th April 2023, 12:25 PM
Post #58
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 120,499

It's nice to see Jo post, still so sad!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 11th April 2023, 03:26 PM
Post #59
Group icon

Thank you for all your well wishes and support in this tragic time
I wrote a poem for Paul I’d like to share with you all ❤️

Paul Cattermole
A shining star
Full of character and life
His flame burnt so bright
A rebel without a cause
A free spirit, a true force
While strumming the guitar
He reached for the stars ✨
Farewell sweet Paul
Your star shines so bright
Forever in our hearts
Sleep well and
Goodnight ❤️

Miss you Cattermole love Tina 💔

cry.gif heart.gif

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 11th April 2023, 05:12 PM
Post #60
Group icon

cry.gif Very touching tributes from them both. Still struggling to believe this has happened sad.gif

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 6th June 2024, 12:42 PM