BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Enjoy Yourself: which run of singles is better?, Official run or originally planned?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Which singles run would you'd prefer
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 16
Guests cannot vote 
Nina West
post Aug 8 2020, 12:09 AM
Post #1
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846
Just a little poll on which run of Kylie's 2nd album Enjoy Yourself, do you guys think is better, from the 2 cycles below?

What We Got:
Hand On Your Heart
Wouldn't Change A Thing
Never Too Late
Tears On My Pillow

Original Scrapped Run:
Hand On Your Heart
Wouldn't Change A Thing
Enjoy Yourself
(I'm Over Dreaming) Over You

Both of these runs are great, while the official run is great packed with some firm classics. But the original run is also great & quite different with the latter 2 (IODOY & EY) being one the album's best & strongest points, but with NO "Never Too Late" which still to this day one of her most well known & loved songs. So both of these runs have their good points.

Enjoy Yourself: - Kylie's choice for the album's 3rd single instead of 'NTL', but the decision was overruled by Pete Waterman.

I'm Over Dreaming (Over You): - Originally lined up to be the album's 3rd then final single, but was scrapped in favour of both 'Never Too Late' & 'Tears On My Pillow', the latter of which featured in her movie 'The Delinquents', so they decided to use that instead.

This post has been edited by Nina West: Aug 8 2020, 12:21 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Aug 8 2020, 01:43 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845
I prefer the original plan run but would swap wouldnt change a thing for never too late. Enjoy yourself and I'm over dreaming over you are brilliant and 2 big fave's of mine in her whole catalogue. I do really love the album in general though.

+Quote this post
pippa
post Aug 8 2020, 11:23 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031
The planned run.
Enjoy Yourself and (I'm Over Dreaming) Over You are 2 Kylie greats and more than worthy of single status.
Superb album that doesn't get enough credit.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Aug 8 2020, 01:44 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
I think I've enjoyed enjoy yourself more in the last few years than ever.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Aug 8 2020, 09:48 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Both of these runs are GREAT, but decided to stick with what we got, as "NTL" is one of Kylie's all-time classics & yeah 'TOMP' is seen as bit of a sore point in this era, but it did give Kylie another #1, (her only chart topper of the 90's). Plus it did show another side to the album, coming after 3 up-tempo numbers & slowing things down with a rather nice 50's styled ballad.

However the other run would have been great also & would have been interesting to see how they'd both fair chart-wise. 'EY' as single #3 could have definitely smashed like 'NTL' (dunno if it would have done any better than 'NTL' did). Then 'IODOY' as the final single & ended this era with a BANG, but don't think either of these would have been #1's though.

Just for fun, I'm including fan-made covers of both 'Enjoy Yourself' & 'I'm Over Dreaming (Over You)', just to give u an idea of what could have been.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Aug 9 2020, 12:30 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Love the first fan made cover for enjoy yourself. I'm over dreaming over you one is very similar to the aussie cover for wouldnt change a thing.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post Aug 9 2020, 10:08 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155
Enjoy Yourself
(I'm Over Dreaming) Over You

Two of my all time favourite Kylie songs - just shows what a strong pop album EY is.

I think they both would have performed well if they had been released however Kylie needed to go with something a little bit different such as NTL to start to build up to the ROL era.

Everyone hates TOMP but I still love it along with the film.

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post Aug 9 2020, 11:41 AM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031
The original run was fine. I can’t actually see enjoy yourself or I’m over dreaming over you doing any better than never too late or tears on my pillow.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post Aug 9 2020, 11:45 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568
The original run just for Never too late ❤️ Wouldn’t change a thing is my favourite Enjoy Yourself song, a forgotten gem!

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Aug 9 2020, 08:40 PM
Post #10
Group icon
QUOTE(slowdown73 @ Aug 9 2020, 12:41 PM) *
The original run was fine. I can’t actually see enjoy yourself or I’m over dreaming over you doing any better than never too late or tears on my pillow.

I reckon chart-wise both 'Enjoy Yourself' & 'I'm Over Dreaming (Over You)', could have done well, looking at the weeks 'NTL' & 'TOMP' came out. 'EY' as the 3rd single in Nov '89, would have probably performed similarly as 'NTL' did, top 5. Then 'IODOY', don't think this would have hit #1 like 'TOMP' did, but on the Jan '90 release week (which was pretty quiet with Kylie being the highest new entry that week), then maybe another top 5 hit, as she was on a winning streak at the time & both of these potential choices could have kept the momentum, but not in the same way as the other official 2 did.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Aug 9 2020, 10:33 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Ya I think both would have kept her top 5 streak going but to be fair the singles released all did well.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Aug 12 2020, 09:02 AM
Post #12
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
Do we have any evidence of this "planned run"?

I can't imagine not having 'Never Too Late' in her discography, it's an essential!

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Aug 12 2020, 09:18 AM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
'Enjoy Yourself' being lined up as a single is true, think there's a few sources that confirm Kylie really wanted it as a single, like on her old website. Not sure about 'I'm Over Dreaming' but it's one I've heard quite a few times. I've always thought it being the B-side to 'Better the Devil You Know' suggested it was at one point considered, but I know that's nothing concrete.

This 'planned' run of singles is very solid, but I'm with Tawdry that 'Never Too Late' is an essential (my favourite of Kylie's from the 80s) and 'Tears On My Pillow' did supply Kylie with another #1 which I don't think any other song would have without that link to The Delinquents.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Aug 12 2020, 09:57 AM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
I agree about never too late, Ive always loved it and it's my fave of the singles actually released from enjoy yourself.

I'd say they knew over dreaming was popular when they added it as btdyk b side.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post Aug 12 2020, 10:11 AM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665
Don't think much of the title track, cannot really see it as single, NTL is much better and easily the jewel from the album.

One song I always thought could have been a single was Heaven on Earth, sounds like a nice Christmas ballad to me.

+Quote this post
pippa
post Aug 12 2020, 12:30 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Heaven and Earth is a gorgeous song but I could never imagine it as a single.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Aug 12 2020, 07:30 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Heaven and earth might have worked as a double sided single but not by itself but i do like the song.

+Quote this post
pippa
post Aug 12 2020, 10:48 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Never Too Late is a huge memory from Kylie's early work and it is popular here too.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Aug 13 2020, 03:06 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
At the time i loved hand on your heart and clearly remember the totp performance of the week she was number 1, wouldnt change a thing i did like and was so disappointed i could never get the single (until years ) as it wasnt released in Ireland. Never too late i always loved but i also clearly remember the pic sleeve when i saw it and was relieved to get the single as i was afraid it would be like wouldnt change a thing and not get released here. I have less memories of tears on my pillow, i dont really remember much about the week it went to number 1 but i do remember all the delinquents promo and looking forward to the film. I couldnt get the single straight away, i think i had to wait about 3 weeks but i remember hating the cover, i was like after the brilliant never too late (which to this day is one of my fave covers) we get this and its bland. I understand the cover more now though than i did when i was 9 or 10.

+Quote this post
pippa
post Aug 16 2020, 01:51 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Is Never Too Late the most popular single among fans from Enjoy Yourself.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:19 PM