BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> ERASURATE // RESULTS
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
dandy*
post 18th January 2015, 08:13 PM
Post #41
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54
I still love the Chorus album too and agree I wouldn't skip anything. The absolute highs are Chorus, Joan, Breath Of Life, Am I Right?, Love To Hate You, Siren Song and Home. I really want them to issue a remastered deluxe version package as one: I'd love to have a remastered version of the album and two: the b sides from that era were largely equally amazing and to have them all collated on a bonus disc would be great.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 18th January 2015, 08:23 PM
Post #42
Group icon
Mansonette
QUOTE(popchartfreak @ Jan 18 2015, 08:11 PM) *
nearly a thousand hits overall, so sounds like quite a few are tuning in dance.gif

It's great people can revisit old faves, be nice if others did some rates before I get to the quickie rates (I won't do Erasure as they've been thoroughly done here) but I'm contemplating a sort of The Voice-inspired battle of the bands, of say 2 acts of similar vintage who were great but didn't have enough hits to have their own rate - and then see which songs (and which act) comes out on top cool.gif

Sounds like a good idea. I'm quite happy to do a few comprehensive rates for acts that I'm really familiar with... maybe a couple of Pet Shop Boys / Duran Duran / Human League / Kate Bush / A-Ha / The Beautiful South / Depeche Mode / New Order etc

+Quote this post
Colm
post 18th January 2015, 08:25 PM
Post #43
Group icon
Yes, it's me.
User: 9,885
I must find the b-sides from the Chorus singles.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 19th January 2015, 07:45 AM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
QUOTE(مدهش* @ Jan 18 2015, 08:23 PM) *
Sounds like a good idea. I'm quite happy to do a few comprehensive rates for acts that I'm really familiar with... maybe a couple of Pet Shop Boys / Duran Duran / Human League / Kate Bush / A-Ha / The Beautiful South / Depeche Mode / New Order etc

Sounds Fab! A-ha were on my "are they well enough known" list and would prob have been one of my battling bands along with ABC (trying to link alphabetically and decade-wise), so that might be a good one. Pet Shop Boys are on a par with Abba for me, but I'll happily hand over if you choose them as a comprehensive rate, or any of the others - the rest are all big enough for a quickie rate so they'll get done either way yahoo.gif

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 19th January 2015, 08:00 PM
Post #45
Group icon
Mansonette
QUOTE(popchartfreak @ Jan 19 2015, 07:45 AM) *
Sounds Fab! A-ha were on my "are they well enough known" list and would prob have been one of my battling bands along with ABC (trying to link alphabetically and decade-wise), so that might be a good one. Pet Shop Boys are on a par with Abba for me, but I'll happily hand over if you choose them as a comprehensive rate, or any of the others - the rest are all big enough for a quickie rate so they'll get done either way yahoo.gif

Happy to work around what your plans are too - if you have a list of sorts then feel free to drop me a PM and we'll work something out!

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 19th January 2015, 08:32 PM
Post #46
Group icon
Mansonette

20 • I Love Saturday • 7.286
UK Chart • 25-20-32-42-40-63

We begin the top 20 with the third and final single from I Say I Say I Say as I Love Saturday matches it's UK chart peak. I'd quite like Tony to write something here as I know it's one of his two favourite Erasure tracks so please feel free to share your thoughts... as for me, well I can't pretend it's ever been one of their stand out tracks, in fact it always used to be the track I skipped on the album as it seemed to clash with the overall sound. I'm listening to it now for the first time in ages and I can admit that it does have a reasonably strong tune, I think it feels like it should be on one of their 80s albums though where maybe it would sound less out of place?

19 • Oh L'amour • 7.375
UK Chart • 13-36-59

I remember buying the Pop! compilation and it contained a brief bit about each track, almost akin to the mini write ups that used to be in the Now series, and the single most shocking thing I read was that this missed the top 75 upon it's initial release... one of the 'poppiest' things they ever recorded, it was later a hit for Dollar instead so maybe that's where I recalled it from (the chart run above is from the re-release in 2003 that marked their Hits collection). Now it sounds very much of it's time but it still stands as the first sign of the capability they later realised. Incidentally, the EP of this contained a cover of Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! - an early signal of what was to come in more ways than one!

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 19th January 2015, 08:41 PM
Post #47
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
Oh L'amour wub.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 19th January 2015, 08:42 PM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
I Love Saturday peaked at 7 in my charts of the time, it was jolly and catchy enough - they didn't always get into my top 10, but pretty much always charted top 40. cheer.gif

I quite liked Dollar's version of O L'amour but I didn't know Erasure's version first time round...

+Quote this post
Colm
post 19th January 2015, 08:45 PM
Post #49
Group icon
Yes, it's me.
I Love Saturday just has a classic 60s pop verse about boys meets girl and someone being swept off their feet. But the real genius is the way the backing vocals recall 60s girl groups. Of course Vince has no trouble providing the perfect pop background. A less generous person would find echoes of SAW. Both Andy and Vince seemed to pull every trick at exactly the right moment all the while building to the final sweet high C. A song worthy of their ABBA obsession.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 19th January 2015, 08:50 PM
Post #50
Group icon
Mansonette

18 • Chains Of Love • 7.375
UK Chart • 19-11-11-13-26-39-64

The Innocents loses it's second single as Chains Of Love manages #18 in the results. Somewhat surprisingly, this is their highest charting single in the US where it peaked at #12. I think this is one of the most unashamedly catchy and flamboyant things they've released and I'm really surprised that it didn't manage to crack the top 10 given their relatively high profile by 1988, it certainly came as a fun contrast to the album's first single 'Ship Of Fools'.

17 • Star • 7.375
UK Chart • 19-11-12-17-26-41-60

From one number 11 hit to another... Star is up next which means that the Wild! album finally loses it's first single at the lofty heights of seventeenth. This one is just out and out fun as an almost western feel propels it's way through the three and a half minutes of pure pop. I'm particularly fond of the middle section and I would regularly be found flouncing around my bedroom aged nine making up a variety of oh so camp dance moves to it. God is love, god is war... TV preacher tell me more (sashay).

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 19th January 2015, 08:54 PM
Post #51
Group icon
Mansonette
QUOTE(AntoineTTe @ Jan 19 2015, 08:45 PM) *
I Love Saturday just has a classic 60s pop verse about boys meets girl and someone being swept off their feet. But the real genius is the way the backing vocals recall 60s girl groups. Of course Vince has no trouble providing the perfect pop background. A less generous person would find echoes of SAW. Both Andy and Vince seemed to pull every trick at exactly the right moment all the while building to the final sweet high C. A song worthy of their ABBA obsession.

See... I knew you'd do a better write up of it! I can see everything you talk about actually, it's just that it's not quite to my tastes unfortunately - I've never actually been a huge fan of 60s girl groups or even ABBA outside of my favourite few tracks.

+Quote this post
Colm
post 19th January 2015, 09:03 PM
Post #52
Group icon
Yes, it's me.
The problem with I Love Saturday is it doesn't really have a chorus.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 19th January 2015, 09:08 PM
Post #53
Group icon
Mansonette

16 • Always • 7.429
UK chart • 4-4-6-10-17-27-41-56-70

This is one of the biggest surprises of the rate for me as I'd assumed this would ease it's way into the top 10, I thought it was regarded as one of their classic singles actually. As it is, it becomes the final single to bow out from I Say I Say I Say at the comparatively lowly position of number 16. I think I expected this to hit number one when it was released, it followed on from the Chorus/ABBA-Esque/POP! eras which was probably as big as the band got but in retrospect the number one expectation may just have been the Erasure loon in me obsessing at the time. I still think this is one of their more memorable and distinctive tracks, one which I absolutely adored at the time... it was a surprise hit in the US too after (just) making the top 20 in the Mariah & Boyz II Men era of 1994. Included below is one of the other reasons I loved it, the Microbots remix which I would make many a rave shape to in yet more bedroom dance shenanigans.

+Quote this post
Colm
post 19th January 2015, 09:21 PM
Post #54
Group icon
Yes, it's me.
Wow. I'm also surprised to see Always coming up so soon - seeing as Katy Perry managed to make a million seller out of it

Conversely to Dandy, I didn't like it at the time. I grew to like it in the last 10 years or so and it now makes my Best of Erasure Spotify playlist.

I do remember a radio presenter here in Dublin also expecting it to make it to number 1.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 19th January 2015, 09:24 PM
Post #55
Group icon
Mansonette

15 • Lay All Your Love On Me • 7.500
14 • Take A Chance On Me • 7.500
UK Chart • 1-1-1-1-1-4-9-12-21-37-48-73

Bowing out (rather handily for me) at exactly the same time are the two remaining tracks from the ABBA-Esque EP. The EP remains their only #1 to date and I've always viewed it as a shame that they made the top spot with this when so many of their own perfectly great singles didn't quite get there. The two tracks were the two main ones to receive promo at the time, first up it's my favourite ABBA track and the lead track of the EP, Lay All Your Love On Me... this was the one they played on the radio and the one you'd hear if you listened to the chart show etc. It's probably a bit too bip blip bip blip in terms of production but I do still really like the intro section of the track.
After the initial radio promo for LAYLOM... the music shows began to get involved and the hype began around the video to Take A Chance On Me in which Andy and Vince camped it up to the max by reproducing the iconic ABBA video playing all four members of the group - it went on to eclipse the radio track and ended up being the song featured on all the compilations etc at the time to the extent where I assume everyone would think it was the main single if they didn't know otherwise. And, of course, who could talk about the song without mention of the icon that is MC Kinky ~ surely a star in the making, I still can't understand just where it all went wrong for the Kinkster.

+Quote this post
Colm
post 19th January 2015, 09:34 PM
Post #56
Group icon
Yes, it's me.
Even I thought TACOM was the lead track. I liked for a while but it's not great compared to the other three covers.

I got it on vinyl a few years ago.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 19th January 2015, 09:59 PM
Post #57
Group icon
Mansonette

13 • Victim Of Love • 7.625
UK Chart • 23-7-8-10-15-22-34-50-73

One of the stand outs from The Circus, this was probably the most obvious slice of single worthy pop they had after the obvious Sometimes is excluded. It was duly released as the album's third single and promptly returned them to the top 10. As with many of their uptempo early stuff, my favourite bit is actually the instrumental section!

12 • Ship Of Fools • 7.750
UK Chart • 20-12-6-9-18-33-48-74

From one single I loved as a child but have slowly fallen out of love with to another which I thought was a bit dull that I've later completely fallen for... finishing twelth is Ship Of Fools, the first single from The Innocents. Considering some of the commercial things they had on the album, this was perhaps a strange and brave choice for lead single although it perhaps now has a ring of an early sound that they have repeated most often in their later career. Do I use the word 'haunting' to describe it? I'd imagine it was used at the time when it was a little less clichι... however the harmonies in the chorus definitely deserve said clichι and they lift this to the heights of their very best for me.

+Quote this post
Colm
post 19th January 2015, 10:09 PM
Post #58
Group icon
Yes, it's me.
Ship of Fools is great. Perhaps the climate of PSB and AHA gave them the courage to release something more downbeat and darker as a lead single.

This post has been edited by AntoineTTe: 19th January 2015, 10:15 PM

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 19th January 2015, 10:18 PM
Post #59
Group icon
Mansonette

11 • Stop! • 8.125
UK Chart • 7-4-3-3-2-2-2-6-9-17-26-36-57

The average score leaps up to over eight but it's not quite enough to gain a top ten spot for Stop!, the lead track from the Crackers International EP, as it sadly loses out through receiving less maximum scores than the song in tenth. This had a really impressive chart run for an Erasure single, the non-album EP spent nine weeks in the top 10 spending three weeks at number two - behind Kylie & Jason if I recall correctly? Anyway, the song itself is a fun 3 minutes of catchy 80s pop... I believe that the Crackers International EP was originally penned to have a different selection of tracks on it but Mute (their record label) sent them packing telling them to write something that was catchier and more likely to score them a hit single. The remainder of the EP wasn't too shoddy either actually so I've included the other tracks for your collective retro forum pleasure - including their attempt at a christmas single.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 19th January 2015, 10:20 PM
Post #60
Group icon
Mansonette
...and that's your lot for tonight! I'll count down the top 10 later in the week - realistically at the weekend as I'm working away from now until then.

For the time being, here are the top 10 in alphabetical order:

A Little Respect
Blue Savannah
Breathe
Chorus
Drama!
Fingers and Thumbs (Cold Summer's Day)
Love To Hate You
Sometimes
The Circus
You Surround Me

Any guesses as to how they will finish up?

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 01:00 PM