BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> All I Wanna Do ● 25 years on
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post Aug 20 2022, 09:06 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

11 August 1997 saw the release of 'All I Wanna Do', the lead single to Dannii's third studio album 'Girl'. Hailed something of a comeback, the song saw Dannii make a change in her sound and image. 'All I Wanna Do' drew heavy influences from dance music - the song penned by a group of writers who would later become involved in Xenomania - and Dannii debuted a blonde hairstyle and sexualised image for the artwork and video. This reinvention was highly praised by critics, giving Dannii the best reviews of her career, and saw her achieve her biggest chart success in the UK when it debuted at #4. In Australia, it missed out on a Top 10 placing when it peaked at #11, however spent 22 weeks in the chart and was certified Gold. In the UK, it remains Dannii's best selling single.

25 years on, what are your thoughts and memories of 'All I Wanna Do'?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Aug 20 2022, 09:06 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Aug 20 2022, 09:14 AM
Post #3
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
I'd like to say I remember the release but I'd be lying, I probably didn't even know who she was at that age. laugh.gif

What a song though! wub.gif Just mesmerising, I wish I could've enjoyed the success it had when it was out.

+Quote this post
vibe
post Aug 20 2022, 09:46 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
No matter what version you listen to this is a gem.

This did well on radio in 97 and i remember buying the single from woolworths.

Who knew that Dannii invented Zoom lol !!

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Aug 20 2022, 11:22 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845
This song always reminds me of college as I was in college when it was released but I wasn't a huge fan of it at the time but got to like it more in later years.

+Quote this post
pippa
post Aug 20 2022, 10:09 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031
All I Wanna Do was a big turnaround in Dannii's career but sadly the follow ups failed to capitalise on it.

+Quote this post
BOOBA GRANDE
post Aug 21 2022, 01:52 AM
Post #7
Group icon
You don't have to be fabulous to be good
User: 5,591
This is by far my most favorite of hers actually!

And I got to know waaaay after it had been released either.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post Aug 21 2022, 08:03 AM
Post #8
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54
I bought this at the time, it was significantly better than anything else she had released by this point and felt almost edgy at the time with its production

+Quote this post
___∆___
post Aug 21 2022, 11:00 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155
Such a classic - I still listen to it a lot now.

Probably my favourite Dannii era - absolutely loved ‘Girl’ too and she done a tour to support the release (I saw her at the glamorous Lewisham Theatre in London).

She should have achieved more success with the project but Eternal didn’t really seem to know how to handle a pop star even though it was a route they tried to follow several times with the likes of Gina G etc.,

+Quote this post
aeroco
post Aug 21 2022, 01:22 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 2,392
I still am puzzled and surprised as to how different she looked during this era…she’s almost unrecognisable to her younger self.

Weird, is that TOTP performance dubbed because it doesn’t sound live.

It’s a great song, one of her best.

This post has been edited by aeroco: Aug 21 2022, 01:23 PM

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Aug 21 2022, 03:13 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
QUOTE(___∆___ @ Aug 21 2022, 12:00 PM) *
Such a classic - I still listen to it a lot now.

Probably my favourite Dannii era - absolutely loved ‘Girl’ too and she done a tour to support the release (I saw her at the glamorous Lewisham Theatre in London).

She should have achieved more success with the project but Eternal didn’t really seem to know how to handle a pop star even though it was a route they tried to follow several times with the likes of Gina G etc.,

Ya for many it was a label who let acts down badly, as albums tgat should have been successes bombed such as girl and Holly valance. At least Gina G album done OK but it deserved more as to this day I still think fresh is a great album. Girl I completly overlooked at the time but made up for it years later.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post Aug 22 2022, 12:32 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
^^ Dannii has been blighted by poor record company’s throughout her career, MCA didn’t really know what to do with her after her debut pure pop phase and randomly threw out singles to try and boost ‘Get Into You’, Eternal were not set up to support a pop/dance female - it’s almost as if the success of AIWD took them by surprise and the album just seemed to appear at the time with zero support and AATW - known for being successful with 1 or 2 dance hits for acts rather than supporting long term careers - I’m sure it’s the reason Universal stepped in to take care of the N-Dubz albums.

London was probably the label most suited to her that gave her the best support but I’m not convinced had they not folded they would have managed to have a successful 2nd album with Dannii.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Aug 22 2022, 02:23 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
I agree that the labels Dannii signed with really blighted her, its a shame she hadnt signed with label that really knew how to push her as things may have been different. I think for me the biggest shock for me with Dannii was the lack of follow up and support after neon nights, i definitely expected another successful studio album to come on the back of it and was really surprised the hits collection didnt do much better than it did.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Aug 22 2022, 02:29 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Break the tension
I mean, to be fair the Hits collection came 3 years after she'd last seen real success after AATW had all but slowly squandered any momentum she had and most of her songs which could conceivably be considered hits were probably long forgotten by the public.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Aug 22 2022, 02:41 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
Ya it needed a quicker release than it got, at the time when she joined x factor i had myself convinced she would release new music and promote on the show which also never happened.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post Aug 22 2022, 03:32 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Jessie Where @ Aug 22 2022, 03:29 PM) *
I mean, to be fair the Hits collection came 3 years after she'd last seen real success after AATW had all but slowly squandered any momentum she had and most of her songs which could conceivably be considered hits were probably long forgotten by the public.

The Hits collection done well for the time it was released I guess but ultimately it was an underperformance for a hits album (3 weeks in the Top 75). AATW seemed to be good at pushing out hits collections with varying levels of success for their artists (They got Scooter to #1 with the support of Universal).

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Aug 24 2022, 09:24 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
I was really disappointed by how quick it fell out of the charts as i honestly didnt expect it to fall so quickly.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Aug 24 2022, 09:36 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Break the tension
What made you think it would hang around any longer though? There wasn't exactly much appetite or interest for Dannii at that point.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Aug 24 2022, 10:01 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
I just thought after the success of the neon nights singles it would have stayed longer, maybe if released much sooner it would have.

+Quote this post
vibe
post Aug 25 2022, 04:42 AM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
There was no need for A GH at that time.

She had recorded so much material with some ace dance producers.

Yet AATW had no clue and waited a year after YWFAM to initially release ICSAN and then the underwhelming Perfection.

Then they waited another year to release THAB!!

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:36 PM