BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Artists who are due / have had a redemption?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
✖ leww ✖
post Aug 7 2017, 11:06 PM
Post #1
escape in the taste of summerrrrrr
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 9,403

After Lido coming 25th and 40th in BJSC previously, they're hotly tipped to win this contest with 'Not Enough'. Tigertown are also set to majorly eclipse their 29th place finish with winning contention in their sights. Is there any other major examples of this that you agree with, and what previously entered artists do you think have the potential to do the same in future contests?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Brer
post Aug 7 2017, 11:47 PM
Post #2
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
Member No.: 8,300

There are a handful of my own artists that flopped when I sent them but had well deserved bigger hits later on - I tend to like the recycles less than my original entries but a notable exception is Digitalism, 'Blitz' hasn't held up super well in my affections and I actually prefer 'Open Waters' now so I'm glad it was a bigger hit (although 'Blitz' wasn't too much of a flop really). deadmau5, Karin Park, SOHN, Spor/Feed Me, Kadie Elder, TĀLĀ and Jade Blue have also been redeemed with (mostly pretty good) top 5/10 hits after my entries by them didn't do as well. I've got plenty of other entries that missed the top 10 and are begging for someone to recycle their artists and get a big hit, recycling my artists seems to be a good strategy!! laugh.gif

EASYFUN, Grouplove, Bishop Briggs, MUNA, Paradis, Miss Li, SAARA, Bleachers, MisterWives and Leon Else all had 'redeemer' entries of sorts this year so far (top 5 hits by artists who were sent before but missed the top 10, most notably there EASYFUN who won by miles after previously DNQing, although I still prefer the DNQ lol).

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Aug 8 2017, 12:11 AM
Post #3
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I'm hoping you can do this for one of my former artists soon with a certain one of your potentials, leww ;o

Of my own artists, WALK THE MOON come to mind with Shut Up and Dance after poor Anna Sun DNQ'd, still waiting for Crywolf to get one too.

+Quote Post
danG
post Aug 8 2017, 08:44 AM
Post #4
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

Out of my own I think Lucas & Steve are very much due a big hit soon, two bottom 10 finishes (both of these from me) and a DNQ so far, must be some sort of justice awaiting.

Also surprised Paperwhite haven't been recycled yet, but not sure if any of their songs would be much bigger than 'Get Away' was for me (22nd).

+Quote Post
lotita
post Aug 8 2017, 08:55 AM
Post #5
feminist icon (she/her)
Group: Site Empress
Member No.: 21,777
   No Gallery Pics

Bip Ling

+Quote Post
Silas
post Aug 8 2017, 09:18 AM
Post #6
Queen of Soon
Member No.: 3,474

Was glad Dagny got a spot of redemption last month. Backbeat defo didn't deserve to be sitting down in 33 with 5 Fine Frøkner for company

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post Aug 8 2017, 09:27 AM
Post #7
Hello?
Group: Members
Member No.: 116
   No Gallery Pics

My favourite Tigertown song is Papernote, which is so gloriously euphoric. I strongly considered sending it last year before realising it had been sent to Unknown Pleasures where it had finished 11th...I think it would probably have been more suited to BJSC and done better here. Warriors is very nice too though, definitely an act who have yet to disappoint.

This post has been edited by gooddelta: Aug 8 2017, 09:27 AM

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post Aug 8 2017, 09:36 AM
Post #8
Hello?
   No Gallery Pics

Of my own artists, Delta FINALLY scored a huge hit (and with the same points as that contest's winner...) with Hunters and the Wolves after numerous underperformances.

There aren't many of my acts that have ended up doing better for somebody else when recycled, I guess RL Grime - who I came 3rd with - could manage this time for Aeroche, but I recycled him myself anyway. And Michael Woods won for Mulgracia, but again, I think I'd recycled him from somebody else too.

I've always thought Still Corners could have a big BJSC hit in them, I was majorly surprised that Fireflies missed the top ten at the time - their album last year had some pretty fantastic tracks on it too, a couple of which sounded like they could have been big contest hits.

I also feel Kadebostany, who I DNQd with, and somebody else has too more recently, have a finalist in them at least - their current single Mind If I Stay is wonderful.

And Theia's new EP is pretty fantastic, no doubt any of the tracks on it could outperform Roam which, again, I'm surprised flatlined down at 37th...I've heard the song all over the place randomly since, in Spotify playlists, in shops etc...

This post has been edited by gooddelta: Aug 8 2017, 09:37 AM

+Quote Post
Brer
post Aug 8 2017, 04:59 PM
Post #9
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
Member No.: 8,300

Kadebostany did have a finalist already for Batidas before you sent them (back when they were called The National Fanfare Of Kadebostany). Didn't do particularly well in the final though.

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post Aug 8 2017, 06:47 PM
Post #10
Hello?
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Capybréra @ Aug 8 2017, 05:59 PM) *
Kadebostany did have a finalist already for Batidas before you sent them (back when they were called The National Fanfare Of Kadebostany). Didn't do particularly well in the final though.

That's very true, forgot about that!

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Aug 8 2017, 10:42 PM
Post #11
THE BLAZE *.*
Member No.: 18,061

FRANKIE underperformed massively with New Obession yet over performed with Gold

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Aug 8 2017, 10:43 PM
Post #12
THE BLAZE *.*
Member No.: 18,061

Ana Mena too

+Quote Post
Cody Scobell
post Aug 8 2017, 10:51 PM
Post #13
Cause if looks could kill, we wouldn’t want to be Dan Humphrey
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

I can see Harper having a massive improvement in performance if her new material is anything to go from. Probably of the same ilk as Silverlined -> Do It Well but it still counts.

+Quote Post
✖ leww ✖
post Aug 8 2017, 10:52 PM
Post #14
escape in the taste of summerrrrrr
Member No.: 9,403

Sälen I'm sure will be able to have a redemption should they get THAT song together

+Quote Post
Ryan.
post Aug 9 2017, 12:20 AM
Post #15
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 12,608
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Aug 8 2017, 10:27 AM) *
My favourite Tigertown song is Papernote, which is so gloriously euphoric. I strongly considered sending it last year before realising it had been sent to Unknown Pleasures where it had finished 11th...I think it would probably have been more suited to BJSC and done better here. Warriors is very nice too though, definitely an act who have yet to disappoint.

That UP was one of the rare occasions I took part I believe and it was the first time I heard of Tigertown! I was surprised something quite pop had made it in so it naturally made its way towards the top of my votes, I agree it would've suited BJSC more. They've gone even more pop with Warriors and it makes it their best single yet for me, but they have found that little area in the market that brings together influences from a variety of genres and they do remind me a bit of a less in-your-face MisterWives who I also love!

Of my recent-ish artists, NINA got her redemption quite recently if I remember correctly. I remember I considered Dua Lipa's New Love back when that came out a couple of summers ago - it wouldn't have been vetoed as she was unknown at that point - but it wasn't quite grabbing me but I knew she had potential with that vocal tone. Of course when Be The One came out she "redeemed" herself with such an incredible song that it blew up straight away and everyone tried to confirm it! So I guess there's a fine line sometimes.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:38 PM