BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, 8 June 2018 | Bryce Dallas Howard, Chris Pratt
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Mart!n
post 18th June 2018, 08:05 PM
Post #21
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2

We have a girl called Claire at work, some guys go round saying "Claire, whatever you do don't press that red button" biggrin.gif

Anyhow the follow up was rather crap, it was nothing like the last film.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
post 19th June 2018, 07:54 AM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

QUOTE(Jαsє @ Jun 18 2018, 08:29 PM) *
I mean...they weren't on an island? It turned all gothic horror and we had dinosaurs terrorizing a mansion?laugh.gif

They came off the island in the second one. And this is the third film where they've done a "new hybrid dinosaur that's more powerful than any before".

It'll be mildly interesting to see what they do with the next one but the franchise feels a bit bled dry, I don't think there's much more they can do.

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 22nd June 2018, 05:09 PM
Post #23
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045

QUOTE(Joe. @ Jun 19 2018, 03:54 PM) *
They came off the island in the second one. And this is the third film where they've done a "new hybrid dinosaur that's more powerful than any before".

It'll be mildly interesting to see what they do with the next one but the franchise feels a bit bled dry, I don't think there's much more they can do.

Everything about your comment confuses me. Do you mean the whole San Diego incident by them coming off the island in the second one? Also this is only the second film where they’ve created hybrid dinosaurs. Well, canonically anyway

+Quote this post
post 22nd June 2018, 10:41 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

QUOTE(Dexton @ Jun 22 2018, 06:09 PM) *
Everything about your comment confuses me. Do you mean the whole San Diego incident by them coming off the island in the second one? Also this is only the second film where they’ve created hybrid dinosaurs. Well, canonically anyway

Indominus rex from the last one was genetically engineered. I don’t remember the third one too much but I thought there was one there too. And yes, I was talking about when that T Rex was running around the city. Anyway, I do agree sadly with my fellow critic’a response in that the franchise is tired at this point. I’d agree with Jonjo’s 5/10.

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 23rd June 2018, 02:14 AM
Post #25
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston

QUOTE(Joe. @ Jun 23 2018, 06:41 AM) *
Indominus rex from the last one was genetically engineered. I don’t remember the third one too much but I thought there was one there too. And yes, I was talking about when that T Rex was running around the city. Anyway, I do agree sadly with my fellow critic’a response in that the franchise is tired at this point. I’d agree with Jonjo’s 5/10.

The third film had Spinosaurus which is a real life dinosaur tongue.gif Although in the film it’s depicted wildly different to what we now know it looks like, so there are some theories it was ingens “first hybrid”. I suppose it could’ve been pumped with super aggressive genes considering the fact it went apeshit and followed them around the island the entire time but I doubt it tongue.gif

+Quote this post
Slick
post 30th June 2018, 01:55 PM
Post #26
Group icon
electric butterflies
Pronouns: he/him
User: 70

I watched this the other day and it was enjoyable and silly but not a patch on previous instalments. It made me laugh because a lot of it was so predictable - "oh let's keep a zoo of dangerous dinosaurs in a mansion, what can go wrong?"

Plot aside, I am always such a child when I see a huge scary dinosaur on a big screen. It's always a thrill.

+Quote this post
Jαsє
post 30th June 2018, 11:26 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 14,043

QUOTE(Slick @ Jun 30 2018, 02:55 PM) *
Plot aside, I am always such a child when I see a huge scary dinosaur on a big screen. It's always a thrill.

Same! biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
JSG
post 6th July 2018, 03:47 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 18,473

I liked it. Definitely better than the first JW for me.

I'm excited for the next film though.

+Quote this post
Kris Erah
post 9th July 2018, 11:10 PM
Post #29
Group icon
New Entry
User: 73,687

Haha agree to the child clone-thing being undeveloped. I also think it was too much dino-action actually. When the whole island blew up with hundreds of dinosaurs running away... just too much for me. Less is more I would say happy.gif

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 10th July 2018, 05:20 AM
Post #30
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston

Spoiler tags if needed

Maisie's whole clone revelation did feel a bit like it was created solely to push the plot forward, as otherwise she wouldn't have had a reason to let the dinosaurs into the wild to save them (as fellow clones?). It was a shocking twist and it'll be interesting to see if that idea of human cloning is built upon in the trilogy's finale but I don't really see how it will with both Hammond and Lockwood dead. Henry Wu is alive and sporting his stolen DNA specimens but I have no idea what he's doing in this franchise anymore and I doubt he has any interest in human cloning when he has the ability to create what are essentially supermonsters.

As a whole I enjoyed the movie but it did feel a bit... lacking. After I finished it was kinda like "is that it?" and I felt disappointed. The opening scene was brilliant, everything about it from the tense submarine scenes to the tyrannosaur appearing in the trees and then the mosasaurus gates not closing - by FAR my favourite opening scene from all Jurassic movies so it's a shame the rest of the movie was nothing like that. In fact I loved most of what happened on Nublar I just wish it had have lasted a bit longer.
The IndoRaptor channels the Xenomorph from the Alien franchise a lot which I adored - after all it's not a dinosaur at this point and the one which escapes isn't one that's been modified with intelligent DNA or even trained raptor-style. It's a full blown monster.

Not to say that I didn't enjoy the Lockwood section of the movie but I feel it needed more time to breathe - it definitely could have benefited from an extra half an hour in screen-time just to help with pacing issues (so it sucks that there's no directors cut for this sad.gif). We needed a bit more time on Nublar as it was super fast paced and essentially action sequence after action sequence. Similar to JP3 with that issue I think, as that movie is 100% action-after-action once they get on the island. First the spino attack, then t-rex vs. spino, then raptors, then spino again, then pteranodons, then spino one more time, and then raptors to finish it off. That movie suffered from a few things but the big issue was of course the script - which is exactly my issue with JW:FK. Maisie is the only new character that is likeable and I think that is almost entirely due to the fantastic directing. Zia & Franklin are ok but the way we learn about who are they feels forced and they aren't given hardly enough time to grow as characters.

Things I really liked:
- The entire Nublar sequences, if only they had some more time to space it out. A few extra shots of the volcano engulfing the old Jurassic World to really give some more emotional impact to "The park is gone". The scene of dinosaurs (especially the ankylosaurus) falling off the cliff to their death was really upsetting, as was the brachiosaurus dying at the end of the dock.
- The Carnotaurus design looks really great
- Benjamin Lockwood. Played by a fantastic actor but sadly didn't get enough screentime, nor will he sad.gif
- Maisie Lockwood. Aside from all the screaming which gave me "ERIC!" flashbacks I really liked her character. The clone reveal was shocking albeit plot-pushing but there is plenty of story potential to come out of that in the final installment. Best child actor in the entire series
- Toby Jones' character is hilariously terrifying, same goes for Ian Malcolm in an entirely different way
- "Do you remember when you first saw a dinosaur?"
- The IndoRaptor is terrifying and is arguably one of my favourite movie monsters ever. I loved how she played dead and then smirked, it was a bit nonsensical but I enjoyed that moment and it again shows the intelligence of such a creature.
- The release of dinosaurs into the world. I've said this already but I think this was actually my favourite part of the movie, if a little daunting. I've always wanted the JP series to go in this sort of direction so I'm glad it has even though it means the next movie will be far from the original concept of "Jurassic Park". There's no island left with dinosaurs on, there's no theme park.
- The movie starts feeling like an Indiana Jones / The Mummy sort of adventure but soon evolves into something more along the lines of Alien. I love it
- Ian Malcolm's speech was incredible as he always has been. He's my favourite character in the entire franchise for a good reason

Things I really did not like:
- Pacing of the entire movie. The Nublar part happened too fast yet the Lockwood mansion went on forever. All we needed was some more time spent on the island and then a bit of transition between the two halfs of the movie to smooth it out a bit. Either that or just split it into two movies which would have worked just as well.
- Owen's escape from the lava. I mean wtf was this scene? It's trying to be funny and tense at the same time but it does not work at all. He's basically Star Lord in this movie and it's so annoying, I didn't mind his one-liners before but they really mess with the pacing (again, pacing)
- The death of Benjamin Lockwood. Why did this even happen? I get it gave them the ability to take over the mansion but they could have quite as easily just locked him and the housekeeper up to stop them causing trouble
- Maisie's revelation of being a clone of her mother. It's such an interesting point but goes absolutely nowhere. The movie hints at her even being part raptor early on (tilting her head when watching Owen & Blue for example) but no, shes a human clone.

Planet Of The Apes is a movie franchise I love and I feel like between the released dinosaurs, the sold dinosaurs, and all the stolen/bought DNA that people ran out with near the end of the movie the 2021 installment could easily be going in a similar direction. I don't think a "dinosaurs taking over the world" plot is coming our way since it would be very impossible for the worlds military to lose to a small handful of animals. POTA had the Simian Flu going for it but obviously "Dino Flu" isn't an option here, unless it's the dinosaurs catching a cold because their immune systems are understandably weak. It does remind me a little bit of the 2001 movie "Evolution", an action-comedy about a meteor that hits Earth and releases a bunch of rapidly evolving and re-producing alien creatures which wreak havoc on a local town. It's a ridiculous movie with bad CGI but a funny watch I recommend anyway (feat. Julianne Moore of all people, along with a few minor celebs)

Overall I did enjoy this movie. I have a fair few issues with it which I found from when I first watched it and in my opinion it's probably ranked 4th in the entire series for me. There's brilliant animatronics/CGI, the dinosaur designs and set-pieces are beautiful, and the themes deep within the movie are intriguingly terrifying also - but it's brought down a lot by the pacing issues, bad script writing definitely in terms of character development, and lack of exploration into aforementioned themes.

1. Jurassic Park
2. The Lost World
3. Jurassic World
4. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
5. Jurassic Park III

+Quote this post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 11:57 PM