BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Eurovision Song Contest 2018 · Green Room, All the news and general discussion from Lisbon, Portugal
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
LexC
post May 15 2017, 02:08 PM
Post #1
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5,342

In what's got to be one of the speediest turnarounds from the announcement of the winner, RTP have confirmed that Lisbon is our host city for 2018. I guess this means we need a new Green Room?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
p a v
post May 15 2017, 02:30 PM
Post #2
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
Group: Members
Member No.: 4,397

YASSSS

+Quote Post
J❄️hq
post May 15 2017, 03:12 PM
Post #3
my anxiety attacks
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

QUOTE(LexC♀ @ May 15 2017, 03:08 PM) *
In what's got to be one of the speediest turnarounds from the announcement of the winner, RTP have confirmed that Lisbon is our host city for 2018. I guess this means we need a new Green Room?

I love one article I've read

The Portuguese national broadcaster has been given a booklet of information from the European Broadcasting Union, regarding the basic criteria of what is required for hosting the contest. The European Broadcasting Union according to the Director General has already suggested that the Meo Arena in Lisbon be used as the venue for the competition.

laugh.gif

Poor Portugal with no previous hosting experience kink.gif I doubt the Swedes needed such a booklet, they probably wrote it.

+Quote Post
Silas
post May 15 2017, 03:48 PM
Post #4
Queen of Soon
Member No.: 3,474

laugh.gif if one existed before 2013 and 2016 then it was no doubt shredded by SVT!!

Lisboa it is! We have an idea on dates so I don't I can get on booking.com before it's just hostels left

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post May 15 2017, 03:52 PM
Post #5
Hello?
Member No.: 116
   No Gallery Pics

Could just book a free cancellation hotel for each week in May and just cancel three of them when dates are confirmed! biggrin.gif

I don't know if I'll go, though I love Portugal (depends how my finances are nearer the time), but I will book a hotel just in case.

I dread to think what Portugal will do with their AQ to the final, I'm not really expecting them to become a new powerhouse nation, so could be a Makemakes type disaster!

This post has been edited by gooddelta: May 15 2017, 03:52 PM

+Quote Post
LexC
post May 15 2017, 04:38 PM
Post #6
Attack Dog/Sass Queen

QUOTE(gooddelta @ May 15 2017, 04:52 PM) *
I dread to think what Portugal will do with their AQ to the final, I'm not really expecting them to become a new powerhouse nation, so could be a Makemakes type disaster!

You know it is weird, a lot of the parallels with Austria as the host country are being born out. I guess they too won with a slightly "larger than life" singer (albeit in a different way) and hadn't counted on ever needing to have to throw together a Eurovision hosting any time soon. Will be interesting to see how they manage as I don't think they're counting on ever having to do this again!

I'm hoping that they at least use that AQ spot to go down in flames with one of their lovably weird numbers that they occasionally throw out (now just watch them completely change their entire selection method and pick a 100% contemporary pop song!) but odds are they'll show why they hadn't won in the previous 50+ years with their AQ spot.

+Quote Post
jakewild
post May 15 2017, 05:00 PM
Post #7
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
Member No.: 2,790
   No Gallery Pics

i gotta go

+Quote Post
J❄️hq
post May 15 2017, 05:07 PM
Post #8
my anxiety attacks
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

QUOTE(gooddelta @ May 15 2017, 04:52 PM) *

I touched on this with Lex yesterday, their previous best result was followed by a last place/nil points the year after and it wouldn't be a stretch for them to end up repeating that.

I'm interested in going for a few days, would be fun even if rehearsal tickets are all I managed to get in the mad rush.

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post May 15 2017, 05:29 PM
Post #9
Hello?
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(LexC♀ @ May 15 2017, 05:38 PM) *
You know it is weird, a lot of the parallels with Austria as the host country are being born out. I guess they too won with a slightly "larger than life" singer (albeit in a different way) and hadn't counted on ever needing to have to throw together a Eurovision hosting any time soon. Will be interesting to see how they manage as I don't think they're counting on ever having to do this again!

I'm hoping that they at least use that AQ spot to go down in flames with one of their lovably weird numbers that they occasionally throw out (now just watch them completely change their entire selection method and pick a 100% contemporary pop song!) but odds are they'll show why they hadn't won in the previous 50+ years with their AQ spot.

I would imagine it will be something that stands out like a sore thumb anyway, like most of their entries in the past 20 years!

I'm also interested to see how they host, I initially thought it could be fairly low budget/cheap looking in a way not seen since the Baltic efforts in the early 00s. But I don't think the broadcaster would ever live that down and standards have risen so much since that I'm sure they'll manage (or be heavily encouraged if it shapes up weakly and the EBU intervene) to pull something respectable out of the bag.

+Quote Post
BillyH
post May 15 2017, 05:49 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 6,614
   No Gallery Pics

(double post)

This post has been edited by BillyH: May 15 2017, 05:57 PM

+Quote Post
BillyH
post May 15 2017, 05:53 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 6,614
   No Gallery Pics

Yeah I can see this being much harder to get tickets for than Kiev, it's not been in this part of the continent for decades so thousands of Spanish and Portuguese fans have their first chance to see it next year.

Regarding accomodation, my hostel in Stockholm in 2016 cost something painful like £25 per night (booked in November the previous year when I got my ticket), whereas my private room in Kiev, booked around February/March, cost £6. Presumably Lisbon will be somewhere in between...

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post May 15 2017, 06:01 PM
Post #12
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929
   No Gallery Pics

I really hope Portugal put a bit of a unique spin on things with hosting next year, I couldn't really call how they'll begin to approach this, but hopefully it should be a lot of fun. And I do expect them to go with something disastrous for the host entry but that will be part of the charm. Probably won't be as boring as the Makemakes but nothing that could be in any way competitive (let's see how wrong I am in 10 months).

+Quote Post
LexC
post May 15 2017, 06:56 PM
Post #13
Attack Dog/Sass Queen

I'm also going to do all that's in my power to do to go to Lisbon for next year although, as somebody pointed out above, it's likely to be a bit of a death match to actually get tickets. I might end up doing a bit of a Ryan style halfway deal and get tickets for the semis/the jury final but be back in the UK in time to catch the final on television since that means still feeling the vibe but a bit easier to get tickets.

+Quote Post
p a v
post May 16 2017, 07:12 AM
Post #14
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
Member No.: 4,397

Or you can get FREE tickets for the dress rehearsals if the paying ones will get sold out quickly. Same shit really. Although i want to be in the arena during the actual show one day <3

Yay a Buzzjack Lisboa meet up!!! Hopefully I will have moved to Spain by that time so it's easy to get there too yay

+Quote Post
Martyn
post May 16 2017, 08:56 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 66

After loving Stockholm last year Lisbon is on the cards next year.

+Quote Post
mdh
post May 20 2017, 07:13 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

Off topic but the winner of Junior Eurovision 2015 is on BGT :') I'm sure Ryan will be happy.

This post has been edited by mdh: May 20 2017, 07:14 PM

+Quote Post
Ryan.
post May 20 2017, 07:50 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 12,608
   No Gallery Pics

I've already spread my excitement in the Junior Eurovision thread! heart.gif

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post Jun 22 2017, 10:04 PM
Post #18
Hello?
   No Gallery Pics

So, the Eurovision DVD is out tomorrow...but it's £29.99 on Amazon and £33.99 on HMV, why on earth is it so expensive this year? It's usually no more than £15. Don't think I'll be bothering at that price.

+Quote Post
Ryan.
post Jul 24 2017, 09:02 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

It looks like it is Lisbon's MEO after all!

https://www.escxtra.com/2017/07/24/lisbon-h...urovision-2018/

+Quote Post
Ryan.
post Jul 25 2017, 05:19 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Lisbon officially confirmed for 8/10/12 May, MEO Arena not yet confirmed but surely obvious. I really hope the theme art in the end of this video will be the official theme art! heart.gif

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:57 PM