BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 🟨 The Dance Lounge 🟨, For any general dance chat away from new releases
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
awardinary
post Feb 23 2022, 11:26 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587
Hello, welcome to a new area of the Dance forum which we can use to chat about anything dance related that isn’t specifically to do with new releases. It’s hoped this place will be a chance to discuss ideas, suggestions, feedback as well as any topics of conversation that might be of interest at any given time. So we will leave the thread open and pinned for any subjects you may wish to discuss. happy.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
awardinary
post Feb 23 2022, 11:28 PM
Post #2
Group icon
One subject I wanted to start some sort of discussion on is a phrase that gets kicked about so often nowadays whenever new releases come out and they are defined as being “too generic” and it got me to thinking, what really is meant by generic dance music and does it change from year to year? thinking.gif

Of course, most people might think generic means copying the same sound as everyone else, but over time that trend can change and it could be a different type of sound that every producer is trying to copy. So what really is generic dance music to you and are you at all interested by it? mellow.gif

+Quote this post
Frenchie
post Feb 24 2022, 06:30 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 72,030
Great idea for a thread!

For me if a song is ‘generic’ it means there’s nothing special, different or interesting about the production. However, a generic dance track is not necessarily a bad one in my opinion.

I’d say Sigala’s recent song Melody is generic as it’s something we’ve heard multiple times before and is very much his usual style of production. However I’d much rather listen to that than say The Motto which everyone seems to rave about but I find rather dull though I wouldn’t consider it generic.

I do feel like current popular dance music in general is starting to becoming a bit ‘generic’ and stale. The trend at the minute definitely seems to favour more low-key songs such as Make Me Feel Good, The Motto, Where Are You Now and Where Did You Go. Which just isn’t my vibe. I want a track that’s gonna punch me in the face with the production and the vocals. laugh.gif

But I reckon everyone’s definition will be slightly different. Which just shows how versatile dance music is as well as peoples different tastes!

This post has been edited by Frenchie: Feb 24 2022, 06:31 AM

+Quote this post
danG
post Feb 24 2022, 08:20 AM
Post #4
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
Generic to me is “I’ve heard this all before and done better” and often also signals a regression in the quality of a producer (Clean Bandit are the big example of this recently) and also with the element of trying too much to cater to spotify pop playlists.

but I’ll also admit part of my recent disdain for a portion of current dance hits is just me being into styles of dance I find to be more interesting and more intricately produced that wouldn’t have a hope in hell of being in the mainstream pop charts so that the dance pop stuff feels tame by comparison.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post Feb 24 2022, 06:31 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308
Oh you restarted the dance lounge! I am quite sure I started a previous version of the dance lounge up about a year ago and wardy commented on it, but it soon was forgotten about sad.gif !

Anyway yes I agree that chart dance music really isn't at its best at the moment and that even a less generic sounding hit like Make Me Feel Good is a bit minimalistic for my tastes and lacks a euphoric climax to it.

Another issue is that some of the Apple Music hits currently doing well like Diplo/Miguel and the new Sigala track aren't making the Spotify top 200 yet sad.gif

+Quote this post
awardinary
post Feb 24 2022, 10:08 PM
Post #6
Group icon
QUOTE(Ring Kollo @ Feb 24 2022, 06:31 PM) *
Oh you restarted the dance lounge! I am quite sure I started a previous version of the dance lounge up about a year ago and wardy commented on it, but it soon was forgotten about sad.gif !

Ah yes, I suspected something like this was trailed before I was made moderator, but I’m hoping we can keep some regular chat going in here, and your contributions are welcome and appreciated. happy.gif

+Quote this post
awardinary
post Apr 26 2022, 07:50 AM
Post #7
Group icon
What dance trends do you think will continue to do well in the charts in the coming months? It looks like thanks to the likes of Luude, Wilkinson and others that drum & bass is popular once again. Belters Only also won’t disappear from the Top 10 at the moment. Other garage style tracks are bubbling under including Disclosure.

What will we expect for the rest of 2022?

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post Apr 28 2022, 07:54 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,585
More Drum & Bass please. Luude paving the way for its return has been surprising but also welcome!

+Quote this post
awardinary
post May 25 2022, 04:12 PM
Post #9
Group icon
I hope this question generates some discussion (hence the purpose of this pinned thread) because I want to hear what others think to this question;

Will Summer 2022 be one of the biggest ever for new dance music?

I’m hearing news of big releases from Calvin Harris, Europa, Tiesto and Joel Corry to name a few. This in addition to big releases already out there from David Guetta, Nathan Dawe, Sigala, Disclosure, Jax Jones, Diplo, Belters Only, Swedish House Mafia and others. It’s actually harder to name major dance artists that aren’t releasing new music at this time of the year.

So what do we think, is this going to be a big Summer for dance and what will it mean for the UK charts?

+Quote this post
danG
post May 25 2022, 06:22 PM
Post #10
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
hopefully we get a long running dance number one hit this year. it could very well come from Calvin Harris although Harry is probably still too dominant for him to get there with Poison, at least in the first couple of weeks.

2020 gave us Head and Heart being truly dominant in the Summer.
last Sunmer the public were too busy with hammering Ed Sheeran.

+Quote this post
DropzoneUK
post Aug 11 2022, 11:02 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 40,955
QUOTE(Frenchie @ Feb 24 2022, 07:30 AM) *
Great idea for a thread!

For me if a song is ‘generic’ it means there’s nothing special, different or interesting about the production. However, a generic dance track is not necessarily a bad one in my opinion.

I’d say Sigala’s recent song Melody is generic as it’s something we’ve heard multiple times before and is very much his usual style of production. However I’d much rather listen to that than say The Motto which everyone seems to rave about but I find rather dull though I wouldn’t consider it generic.

I do feel like current popular dance music in general is starting to becoming a bit ‘generic’ and stale. The trend at the minute definitely seems to favour more low-key songs such as Make Me Feel Good, The Motto, Where Are You Now and Where Did You Go. Which just isn’t my vibe. I want a track that’s gonna punch me in the face with the production and the vocals. laugh.gif

But I reckon everyone’s definition will be slightly different. Which just shows how versatile dance music is as well as peoples different tastes!

Make me feel good is the perfect example of a good 'generic' track. So simple. So few elements. Could be accused of being 'Generic'...end result is a catchy immersive and well produced future dance classic! generic or experimental... good is good haha cool.gif sometimes generic works but too much is just boring.

This post has been edited by DropzoneUK: Aug 11 2022, 11:04 PM

+Quote this post
DropzoneUK
post Aug 11 2022, 11:06 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 40,955
QUOTE(awardinary @ Feb 24 2022, 12:28 AM) *
One subject I wanted to start some sort of discussion on is a phrase that gets kicked about so often nowadays whenever new releases come out and they are defined as being “too generic” and it got me to thinking, what really is meant by generic dance music and does it change from year to year? thinking.gif

Of course, most people might think generic means copying the same sound as everyone else, but over time that trend can change and it could be a different type of sound that every producer is trying to copy. So what really is generic dance music to you and are you at all interested by it? mellow.gif

Also a huge problem is that upcoming producers and artists get majorly overlooked, and the majors pulling the crowds are doing so predominately with 'Generic' songs. so why would they change? The future and progression comes from the unknowns trying to come with something different to the mainstream noise.

+Quote this post
awardinary
post Aug 17 2022, 12:30 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Will 2022 be the year we have the most David Guetta singles and remixes ever? ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Cow P
post Aug 17 2022, 12:50 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Cowcow no Frieren
User: 127,479
Once again, Djakarta Warehouse Project with another great lineup. cheeseblock.png

Really hoping I can go there one day.

+Quote this post
uhsting
post Sep 28 2022, 06:56 PM
Post #15
Group icon
I feel it COMING!
Pronouns: he/they
User: 77,363
Probably quite off-topic but how did Billie Eilish's ocean eyes make it to Beatport's Best New Trance playlist?? kink.gif

Billie Eilish the next-generation trance artist confirmed laugh.gif

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post Sep 28 2022, 07:08 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
This is the only 'Ocean Eyes' I'm seeing

+Quote this post
uhsting
post Sep 28 2022, 07:09 PM
Post #17
Group icon
I feel it COMING!
hmm spotify is doing weird things then

+Quote this post
danG
post Sep 28 2022, 07:18 PM
Post #18
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
yeah its billie relish on the spotify playlist for me too how odd

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post Sep 29 2022, 09:21 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Oh I went on the beatport website

+Quote this post
uhsting
post Jan 13 2023, 12:34 PM
Post #20
Group icon
I feel it COMING!
Aaaaaaand Beatport Spotify again mistakenly put the wrong songs to their Best New Trance playlist... this time with a hip-hop and a rock song

This post has been edited by uhsting: Jan 13 2023, 12:37 PM

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:23 AM