BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> yunè pinku - BABYLON IX EP, Featuring new single “Night Light”
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Doctor Blind
post May 2 2022, 09:55 PM
Post #1
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

Really enjoying this new EP from Malaysian-Irish singer/producer Yunè Pinku (aka Asha Yuné). It's her debut and an incredibly diverse mix of late 90s/early 2000s type sounds and styles, kinda fitting in to the whole 2k22 drum and bass revival (that Eric Blob told me wasn't happening...) adopted by GenZ, and the great thing about it is whilst it is very nostalgic, there's a lot of new sounds and ideas here that makes it sound very refreshing. Apparently she initially grew up disliking electronic music because of her mum endlessly playing trance music around the family home! She now describes her taste as “heavy garage bangers with time to chill in the middle”.

Worth a listen. : )

New single is “DC Rot” - which navigates her own struggles with anxiety and recalibrating as the world reopened post pandemic.

01 DC Rot
02 Laylo
03 Affection
04 Bluff
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lewistgreen
post May 2 2022, 10:30 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Members
Member No.: 19,585

The title track is a banger

+Quote Post
lewistgreen
post May 17 2022, 06:23 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Legend

DC Rot had been added to 6 Music's playlist this week

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post May 17 2022, 09:26 PM
Post #4
Hello?
Member No.: 116
   No Gallery Pics

I heard DC Rot a couple of months ago - or whenever it came out - it is very good, very late 90s/early 00s indeed.

I do feel very old now all the new artists talk about their parents playing trance around the house, or when ArrDee was going on about how his mum listened to that Ironik song that used the same sample as his recent single in the car when he was young laugh.gif But nevertheless, it's great to see young artists being influenced by these sounds and bringing them back. I still hope for a commercial trance comeback to happen, led by this new wave of Gen Z artists.

This post has been edited by gooddelta: May 17 2022, 09:26 PM

+Quote Post
k👠th
post May 18 2022, 02:19 PM
Post #5
baddest of them all
Member No.: 6,764

Ugh I really want to like her but nothing has properly grabbed me so far.

+Quote Post
lewistgreen
post Jun 10 2022, 07:15 AM
Post #6
BuzzJack Legend

DC Rot is the BBC Introducing track on Radio 1 this week

+Quote Post
k👠th
post Oct 26 2022, 08:02 AM
Post #7
baddest of them all

I really came around to DC Rot thanks to BJSC and loving the new single Jaws as well! What a bop

Blending club tropes to align her own style, yunè pinku surges ahead on impeccable new booster ‘Jaws’.

Out now, it’s a brilliant piece of digital programming, with the subtle pop edge to her vocals illuminating the shimmering audio chassis. Reminiscent of Jessy Lanza in its execution, there’s also a real flair of originality to her work.

yunè pinku comments…

“Jaws to me is about being perpetually fed up of compromise, I guess in a way leaning into the inner warrior or villain that we all have inside of us; in this case I thought of a boxer! The song has existed for a quite a while now but it’s sort of a closing score to my project Bluff, I think a bit of a last hurrah for the angsty stuff and making way for the more tender, experimental on coming music.”

Catch her at Roundhouse Rising in London on November 4th, if you’re around.

Tune in now.

+Quote Post
Brer
post Oct 27 2022, 01:23 AM
Post #8
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
Member No.: 8,300

'DC Rot' is fab (heard it from it being on the Radio 1 playlist's Introducing slot earlier in the year as well as in BJSC), also a fan of the yeule & Kin Leonn remix of 'Bluff' and her remix of Biig Piig's 'FUN':

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Nov 12 2022, 07:49 PM
Post #9
   No Gallery Pics

The new single “Fai Fighter” is pretty glorious <3

+Quote Post
k👠th
post Nov 12 2022, 08:30 PM
Post #10
baddest of them all

I heard it on my release radar today and couldn't believe it was her. What a swerve!

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Jan 30 2023, 06:38 PM
Post #11
   No Gallery Pics

new single: “Night Light” just dropped.. another absolute heater.

It's from a new EP BABYLON IX due soon.

Some more:

In 2022, yunè pinku exploded onto the scene of electronic dance music. Amidst all the noise, the South London-based songwriter and producer managed to swim her way to the surface and gain international recognition for her bright and dreamy blend of hyper-pop, house and UK garage. Most early press grasped onto pinku's confession that she did not discover her appreciation for electronic until lockdown, but her execution feels like a lifetime of appreciation with enough naïveté to allow for innovation.

Building off a successful 2022 that saw pinku collaborating with and remixing the likes of Biig Piig, Charli XCX, Logic1000 and more, the fresh-faced talent announces her forthcoming EP, BABYLON IX, her second offering since 2022's Bluff EP. As one of the most promising rising figures in electronic music, pinku expands her ethereal world further. Its first taste, "Night Light," premieres today.

"'Night Light' is based on an AI study around the idea of mortality and sentience," yunè says of the song. "So this song is kind of a fictional version of what if that AI was a person who escaped into the world looking for its maker. The video follows this storyline in a sort of surrealistic, fever-dream lens."

Breakneck drums and deep bass echo the familiarity of late '90s and early '00s electronic music that evokes a distinct sensuality and sadness. Pinku's dreamlike voice sits just below the surface, blurring the line between what's manmade and human as she builds out the sonic landscape of lost AI searching for home. Its accompanying video shows pinku navigating the empty, gray London streets that turn into a glitched-out dream, even paying homage to Milla Jovovich's iconic role of Leeloo, the stunning and badass humanoid from the 1997 film The fifth Element.

The visual for "Night Light" couldn't have been done without a strong creative team who came together to see pinku's vision through. Speaking on the video's concept, director Bonjourcasimir said, "For this music video, yunè and her team wanted to recreate her as an AI being. That made me think of an ambivalent world in which humans and machines, reality and virtuality coexist with no boundaries between the two. 'Night Light' is a sensorial adventure in which yunè pinku materializes in a ghost town, navigating between thoughts and the real world in search of answers."

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Jan 30 2023, 06:53 PM
Post #12
Mansonette
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

I'm loving everything I hear from her *.*

+Quote Post
k👠th
post Jan 30 2023, 06:56 PM
Post #13
baddest of them all

QUEEN!!

+Quote Post
Brer
post Jan 30 2023, 10:52 PM
Post #14

'Fai Fighter' is absolutely amazing, easily her best so far. I pinched it to send to the PopJustice Song Contest and it gave me one of my best results to date there, coming 4th with 6 12s - if anyone wants to send it to BJSC go ahead as I'm not going to but it's possibly a free big hit x

Perched for new sang / EP, she hasn't missed for me since I discovered her.

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Jan 30 2023, 10:57 PM
Post #15
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

Heard Fai Fighter on 6Music recently and indeed it's great *. Will check out the new one soon (I was actually considering it for BJSC before I saw the buzz, maybe if I flop again kink.gif)

+Quote Post
k👠th
post Feb 2 2023, 05:44 PM
Post #16
baddest of them all

Fai Fighter refuses to get stale. Night Light is amazing. I'm a stan now periodt

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Feb 3 2023, 08:49 AM
Post #17
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929
   No Gallery Pics

I have been loving 'Fai Fighter' so much the last few days. I first heard it a month or so ago so it took it's time but I'm so on board with her now.

'Night Light' sounds awesome to start off with too.

+Quote Post
Brer
post Feb 7 2023, 12:52 AM
Post #18

'Night Light' is a stunner as well wub.gif quen pinku.

Is 'Fai Fighter' not going to be on the new EP as well then? I don't see why they wouldn't fit together sonically so would be a bit of a shame for that to just be left as a standalone single!

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Mar 22 2023, 10:41 AM
Post #19
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Brer @ Feb 7 2023, 12:52 AM) *
Is 'Fai Fighter' not going to be on the new EP as well then? I don't see why they wouldn't fit together sonically so would be a bit of a shame for that to just be left as a standalone single!

I expect it will be, I haven't seen an official tracklist yet but yeah seems v likely it will be.

New single “Sports” is out now and a video was just released. We will be getting the full EP on 28th April.

“’Sports’ is based loosely on an angry version of Lana Del Rey’s ‘Video Game’—mainly just the idea of someone putting a TV screen before the people they care about and their own life. I envisioned a sort of Wall-E-esque future people glued to the chair with a TV guide vibe.”

+Quote Post
awardinary
post Apr 24 2023, 04:07 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

Heartbeat is released today;

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:09 PM