BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> HausofKubrick's top 30 Horror Films, horror is nothing other than reality.
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
HausofKubrick
post Mar 30 2016, 09:23 PM
Post #1
Group icon
User: 13,007
A glimpse into the world proves that horror is nothing other than reality

It's been years since I did any sort of movie countdown, and i've never attempted to rate horror as a genre before but i've done my best and here it is. Horror is my favourite genre - that sounds a totally grandiose claim to make but for me it is the genre that generates the most feelings when I watch a film; feelings of dread, terror, humour, shock, intrigue, suspense and everything in between. The films I have included here are my personal faves - they are not necessarily ranked in order of how scary they are, but how technically good I think they are as horror films (there is one film featured which has fallen a few places because it branches across every genre known to man, when really it should be higher but i'll discuss that in more depth when it comes). For most other films I have ranked them on how much I enjoy them as films and the gravitas they have as works of art.

I hope you enjoy the countdown and can discuss the films back with me - I also hope you make some discoveries out of it! Many of the films will be well known but there are some much lesser known ones that are well worth a viewing. Though not all technically "traditional" horrors, I will attempt to explain some of the more obscure genre-bending inclusions. I am not sure how long this will take me to get through, so apologies in advance for any delays that may occur but please hang with me.

All that's left to say is turn down the lights, lock all the doors and enter the Haunted Haus of Horror...
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Mar 30 2016, 09:24 PM
Post #2
Group icon
HausofKubrick's Top 30 Horror Films

01. The Exorcist
02. Nightmare on Elm Street
03. Repulsion
04. Suspiria
05. Don't Look Now
06. Rosemary's Baby
07. Psycho
08. Halloween
09. Carrie
10. The Omen
11. The Shining
12. A Clockwork Orange
13. [REC]
14. Peeping Tom
15. The Wicker Man
16. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
17. Martha Marcy May Marlene
18. Alien/Aliens
19. Drag Me To Hell
20. The Silence of the Lambs
21. Kill List
22. The Evil Dead
23. The Birds
24. Pan’s Labrinth
25. Let the Right One In
26. No Country for Old Men
27. Scream
28. Shaun of the Dead
29. Night of the Living Dead
30. The Orphanage

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Mar 30 2016, 09:25 PM
Post #3
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
Incredibly hyped for this! Not seen too many of the older/classic horrors so I may be persuaded to finally get round to watching them wub.gif (though at like 2pm in the afternoon because if I watch a horror later than that I'd probably scream the road down!!)

+Quote this post
lotita
post Mar 30 2016, 09:36 PM
Post #4
Group icon
feminist icon
Pronouns: she/her
User: 21,777
Oh yes hyped for this! ohmy.gif Looking forward to getting a few new horrors to watch from this as well kink.gif

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Mar 30 2016, 09:38 PM
Post #5
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
QUOTE(princess_lotti @ Mar 30 2016, 10:36 PM) *
Oh yes hyped for this! ohmy.gif Looking forward to getting a few new horrors to watch from this as well kink.gif

We should maybe watch a few on Rabb.it and try and get a few more people to join us so they can scream and be scared have fun!

+Quote this post
lotita
post Mar 30 2016, 09:42 PM
Post #6
Group icon
feminist icon
QUOTE(Ultraviolence1989 @ Mar 30 2016, 10:38 PM) *
We should maybe watch a few on Rabb.it and try and get a few more people to join us so they can scream and be scared have fun!

oh yes please!! wub.gif I really enjoyed our 'It Follows' session

+Quote this post
post Mar 30 2016, 09:42 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
Rosemary's Baby is my personal favourite, so that to slay please.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Mar 30 2016, 09:54 PM
Post #8
Group icon
^ stay tuned to see if it features ohmy.gif

QUOTE(Ultraviolence1989 @ Mar 30 2016, 10:25 PM) *
Incredibly hyped for this! Not seen too many of the older/classic horrors so I may be persuaded to finally get round to watching them wub.gif (though at like 2pm in the afternoon because if I watch a horror later than that I'd probably scream the road down!!)

laugh.gif Thanks UV! Some of the films are very FUN horror and play on their scares while some others are very deep psychological horrors so having a glance at the list now there should be something for everyone.

QUOTE(princess_lotti @ Mar 30 2016, 10:36 PM) *

Yay thanks Lotti! A good mix of obscure and very well-known I think so hopefully some good discoveries along the way biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Mar 30 2016, 10:03 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Believe and you will see.

30. The Orphanage (2007)

We start the countdown with this recent slice of Spanish horror. The Orphanage or El Orfanato tells the tale of an orphaned girl, now grown up and re-opening an orphanage to care for disabled children. But of course the building is not what it seems and it seems the disturbed presences of lost souls are still haunting the place. It's a film full of huge frights and brilliantly suspenseful moments, all beautifully acted and shot by Juan Antonio Bayona (with production from Guillermo del Toro). The film just makes the countdown here because I have fond memories of watching it in the cinema at the time of its release and being totally immersed in the atmosphere that is created. A very standard horror in many ways, but the story is brilliantly woven and it never once feels tired or over-done.

Best scene: THAT bus scene with the old lady. Watch it and you'll know what I mean mellow.gif

+Quote this post
randomfurlong
post Mar 30 2016, 10:11 PM
Post #10
Group icon
musing
User: 13,969
ooh, this should be fun! I wasn't particularly taken by The Orphanage but it had its moments.

(Rosemary's Baby is my face too so it best be high! tho I fully expect it to be tbh)

+Quote this post
post Mar 30 2016, 10:22 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
I watched The Orphanage at uni and was initially disappointed because it had Pan's Labyrinth's legacy attached to it, and it just wasn't anywhere nearly as good. (though I see now that was just a marketing ploy GDT wasn't really that involved). But, while I've never found it very scary (though very creepy, that mask...shudder), it's quite heartbreaking.

+Quote this post
lotita
post Mar 30 2016, 10:25 PM
Post #12
Group icon
feminist icon
I remember watching The Orphanage once a few years ago, but I definitely feel like I need to give it another watch, from what I remember it was absolutely fantastic wub.gif

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Mar 30 2016, 10:50 PM
Post #13
Group icon
I debated between a few films to take the 30th place but really this film grabs me the most. It's everything I need in a standard horror film with a touch of the EMOTIONAL as Joe touches upon.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Mar 30 2016, 10:51 PM
Post #14
Group icon
There's one of them now!

29. Night of the Living Dead (1968)

Most films are here because I rewatch them over and over again, but this is one I don't return to as much but it's still up there for LEGACY alone. Night of the Living Dead begins a tremendous trilogy of zombie-infested horror and despite the shoddy make-up and effects in this, the sheer terror comes from the isolated farmhouse and the panic stricken faces of the poor, endangered escapees. It's a film that doesn't really need a whole heap of special effects to generate horror but it helped to ignite a trend of zombie flicks that we feel right up to this day. A political and satirical film (each of the sequels too dealt with issues plaguing (for want of a better word) America during the time and it's therefore already much better than any remakes that came because it's very much a film OF ITS TIME). A cheap film that went on to make it big and its clear to see why; the richness comes from Romero's expert trickery of space and presence to create a sense of dread wherever you turn.

Best scene: The opening cemetery scene leading into the first zombie appearance mellow.gif No amount of money or flash graphics could make that scene more terrifying than it is.

+Quote this post
lotita
post Mar 30 2016, 10:56 PM
Post #15
Group icon
feminist icon
That's one I've never seen ohmy.gif I don't watch a lot of older films, but this one looks quite interesting from that trailer!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Mar 30 2016, 11:06 PM
Post #16
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
Not seen either movies yet, the orphanage however is one I do want to check out at some point!

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post Mar 30 2016, 11:07 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223
I haven't seen either of these but 'The Orphanage' is one I have always meant to watch. Excited to see the rest of this list!

+Quote this post
Severin
post Mar 30 2016, 11:44 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872
As a fellow Horror fan I'm VERY interested to see this countdown.

I've never been overly fond of The Orphanage although I do rate its atmosphere and ambition.
Night of The Living Dead however is a stone cold classic that has done more than most to define the genre. For me though the scene that stands out is the very final one. Gut wrenching and a huge socio-political statement

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post Mar 31 2016, 12:27 AM
Post #19
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835
Not seen these yet but interested in Night of the living Dead *.*

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Mar 31 2016, 03:10 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Any zombies out there?

28. Shaun of the Dead (2004)

Seems a bit silly having this one directly after Night of a Living Dead, given it is a clear parody of it but for it's huge laughs and entertainment value it is the one I actually prefer to watch more slightly. From a quick glance there are two other Horror-Comedy films but Shaun of the Dead is the one that gravitates most towards comedy - it's utterly hilarious. Between this and Hot Fuzz, the team concocted a brilliant formula of dread and hysterics while at the same time owing a lot to the earlier films it parodies. It's the tale of a hard-done by gentleman where life continually takes a bite back and it's a raucous laugh in the process. The lightest moment in the countdown, consider this a BREATHER before things take a prolonged turn towards the dark, deadly and macabre.

Best scene: The garden scene and the onslaught of knick-knacks having no affect on the two zombies "fast" approaching mellow.gif (but obviously not throwing their Prince albums at them *.*)

+Quote this post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:03 AM