BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Rubbish follow up album, sophomore disasters, career killing, follow ups - the worst in 2nd and 3rds you decide?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
tigerboy
post 30th March 2006, 02:09 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl it's Tigerboy!
User: 210

after reading the suprisingly average review in q for the new streets album i wonder which artist have really come a cropper on their second and third albums. albums so bad that they have really ballsed up their recording careers dance.gif

This post has been edited by tigerboy: 30th March 2006, 04:07 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Tim
post 30th March 2006, 04:20 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 61

I'm not sure if this is what you want but these artists have never come close to the sales of their debut albums:

Alanis Morissette (Though her teen pop career means 'Jagged Little Pill' was not her debut album in all countries)
Macy Gray
Hear'say

+Quote this post
tigerboy
post 30th March 2006, 04:23 PM
Post #3
Group icon

QUOTE(Tim @ Mar 30 2006, 06:20 PM) *

Hear'say laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

yep in a nutshell tragic second (or third) works of non-genius laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote this post
thisispop
post 30th March 2006, 09:16 PM
Post #4
Group icon
I've got an iPod classic and I'm gonna use it!
User: 72

There are plenty which when I have some time (over the weekend) I will post a few.

A good example of a career balls-up is EMBRACE.

Debut album - The Good Will Out #1 in the UK.

2nd Album - Drawn From Memory - barely scrapped the Top10.

3rd Album - If You've Never Been - spent just 3weeks in the Album charts.

Embrace were then dropped by their record label (Hut) & most of the band took up normal jobs.

But then they were offered a tour support slot to Coldplay (who in their early days had supported Embrace) & were signed to Independiente.

Their 4th album - Out Of Nothing - made UK #1 & ...

Their 5th album - This New Day - is heading to #1 on Sunday cheer.gif

+Quote this post
Charis
post 30th March 2006, 09:18 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Char1s
User: 278

Spice Girls - Forever.

+Quote this post
Jester
post 30th March 2006, 09:19 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Right in front of my salad?!
Pronouns: he/him
User: 12

The Darkness springs to mind for me.

+Quote this post
thisispop
post 30th March 2006, 09:22 PM
Post #7
Group icon
I've got an iPod classic and I'm gonna use it!
User: 72

Ms Dynamite (tee - hee)

+Quote this post
tigerboy
post 31st March 2006, 09:36 AM
Post #8
Group icon

QUOTE(thisispop @ Mar 30 2006, 10:22 PM) *

Ms Dynamite (tee - hee)

mmm you could almost sing that post to the tune of her record (that is if you can all remember that far back laugh.gif laugh.gif )

wasnt she on at live 8 because she was supposed to be britain's premiere black artist? how wrong bob was laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Marguerite
post 31st March 2006, 10:37 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 135

Daniel Bedingfield.

His first album went 5 or 6 times platinum and spawned a couple of massive singles and yet he didn't register at all when he came back last year. I don't really understand what happened and how he lost that amount of support so quickly.

+Quote this post
suggy
post 31st March 2006, 11:08 AM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 85

QUOTE(Marguerite @ Mar 31 2006, 11:37 AM) *

Daniel Bedingfield.

His first album went 5 or 6 times platinum and spawned a couple of massive singles and yet he didn't register at all when he came back last year. I don't really understand what happened and how he lost that amount of support so quickly.

Me neither, he had great success with his ballads though, maybe they just didn't like his more rockier sound? something similar happened to Will in a way I suppose, SIO wasn't as popular with the GBP but All Time Love has had great success and now he's nearing another million selling album, Daniel still has a fantastic loyal fanbase though and I'm sure he'll be back with a classic ballad and he'll be on his way up again. I'm not a fan but I know he's a good songwriter, so his career is far from over.

+Quote this post
tigerboy
post 31st March 2006, 02:40 PM
Post #11
Group icon

QUOTE(suggy @ Mar 31 2006, 12:08 PM) *

Me neither, he had great success with his ballads though, maybe they just didn't like his more rockier sound? something similar happened to Will in a way I suppose, SIO wasn't as popular with the GBP but All Time Love has had great success and now he's nearing another million selling album, Daniel still has a fantastic loyal fanbase though and I'm sure he'll be back with a classic ballad and he'll be on his way up again. I'm not a fan but I know he's a good songwriter, so his career is far from over.

think the problem is that artists names become like brands and certain names have a defined set of values attached meaning that if your a balladman your audience will reject the idea of you being a rockgod

+Quote this post
Sweetwilliamfan
post 31st March 2006, 02:45 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 325

DB's first single off his second was a ballad..Nothing hurts like love...but it still didn't sell his album..i think that he didn't have a fanbase as such..i think people just liked a few of his songs and that why his first album sold so well...perhaps his first didnt impress those that got it so they didnt invest in the second?..whos to say.. ...SIO sold over 200k of KO..it didn't do so badly..one of my favs it has to be said.. wub.gif

+Quote this post
ThePennyDrops
post 31st March 2006, 03:07 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Wisest are they who know that they do not know
User: 32

QUOTE(tigerboy @ Mar 30 2006, 05:23 PM) *

yep in a nutshell tragic second (or third) works of non-genius laugh.gif laugh.gif

There was a second album? ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
tigerboy
post 1st April 2006, 08:16 PM
Post #14
Group icon

QUOTE(ThePennyDrops @ Mar 31 2006, 04:07 PM) *

There was a second album? ohmy.gif

well some barguin bins can be very crowded but if you rumage around you'll never know what you will find (well apart from a million big brovaz albums for 1.99! rotf.gif lyear.gif )

+Quote this post
Tyler
post 1st April 2006, 09:57 PM
Post #15
Group icon
If people hate you, don’t hate them.
User: 67

Jessica Simpson mad.gif irresistable was good but the rest of the album was just trash. She saved herself though with newlyweds which is the main reason why In this skin did so well. As the only good song was her remakes of Take my breath away and with you was ok.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 2nd April 2006, 08:49 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53

I loved the first Hear'say album and still play it.Their second flopped big time.

+Quote this post
Slick
post 2nd April 2006, 09:50 AM
Post #17
Group icon
electric butterflies
User: 70

Ms Dynamite
The Darkness
Daniel Bedingfield

They were supposed to be huge when they came back, but they have flopped big time!

+Quote this post
tigerboy
post 2nd April 2006, 10:06 AM
Post #18
Group icon

QUOTE(Slick @ Apr 2 2006, 10:50 AM) *

Ms Dynamite
The Darkness
Daniel Bedingfield

They were supposed to be huge when they came back, but they have flopped big time!

maybe people got fed up with the musical style or, in the case of the darkness, realized that the singer was a tit laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Slick
post 2nd April 2006, 10:08 AM
Post #19
Group icon
electric butterflies
User: 70

QUOTE(tigerboy @ Apr 2 2006, 11:06 AM) *

maybe people got fed up with the musical style or, in the case of the darkness, realized that the singer was a tit laugh.gif

I don't really understand why any of these did so badly tbh. Ms Dynamite was highly anticipated but the single and album both flopped. The Darkness' music has gone downhill since their first album but its still the same sort of stuff that made them big, and Daniel Bedingfield is a complete mystery. Perhaps his music was just too different or something blink.gif

It seems wierd that they were so hotly anticipated yet people have apparently got bored of their style blink.gif

+Quote this post
tigerboy
post 2nd April 2006, 10:12 AM
Post #20
Group icon

QUOTE(Slick @ Apr 2 2006, 11:08 AM) *

I don't really understand why any of these did so badly tbh. Ms Dynamite was highly anticipated but the single and album both flopped. The Darkness' music has gone downhill since their first album but its still the same sort of stuff that made them big, and Daniel Bedingfield is a complete mystery. Perhaps his music was just too different or something blink.gif

It seems wierd that they were so hotly anticipated yet people have apparently got bored of their style blink.gif

well i think in the case of ms dynamite it was that the press & public got tired of her genre/style of music. it was that garae dance stuff wasnt it? that hasnt been in pop style for ages

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 06:59 PM