BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jade Goody: The Reality Star Who Changed Britain
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Klaus
post Aug 7 2019, 08:07 PM
Post #1
❤️❤️➕🟦
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

Three part series on Channel 4 now all about the rise, fall and rise of Jade Goody.

Will certainly be an interesting watch for any Big Brother fan, reality TV fan or reality TV sceptic.

She was amongst the first every day person catapulted into enormous stardom from reality TV. She wasn’t particularly known for, let’s say her intelligence but was adored by many and then saw the tide turn against her when she want back into the show that made her. Her later life brought huge exposure for cervical cancer screenings for young people.

As an aside, interesting for Channel 4 to recognise Big Brother again
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mack.
post Aug 7 2019, 08:11 PM
Post #2
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

An unforgettable Big Brother housemate, the ultimate.

+Quote Post
Mack.
post Aug 7 2019, 08:19 PM
Post #3
   No Gallery Pics

Wow, the headlines from the Mirror and that Graham Norton clip... Blimey.

+Quote Post
Jordanlee
post Aug 7 2019, 10:01 PM
Post #4
Jord
Group: Members
Member No.: 27,116

This was so shocking!!

I was too young to really remember BB3 as I was like 7 when it aired so I never watched it at the time it was actually on TV but some of those headlines were SHOCKING

Like imagine if today some journalist was writing about Love Island stars.

Was a really interesting watch though. I’m sad watching it though sad.gif

I never really thought she was a racist and thought the issue was more based on class. Jo and Danielle were also far worse at the bullying yet never got a quarter of the blame Jade did!

+Quote Post
Aaron.
post Aug 7 2019, 10:04 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 3,245
   No Gallery Pics

This just popped up on my to-watch list and I was coming to post here.
BB3 was my first international RTV show and Jade certainly stood out. I pretty much followed her career from there.
I was devastated when she past. Will give this a watch tonight and will probably bawl.

+Quote Post
Mack.
post Aug 7 2019, 10:07 PM
Post #6
   No Gallery Pics

Kevin O'Sullivan didn't even look apologetic looking back on what he wrote. Indeed shocked at the media coverage she had when she was in the house.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Aug 7 2019, 10:17 PM
Post #7
Brown cow, stunning!
Member No.: 10,139

Can't wait to watch this tomorrow!

QUOTE(Jordan Lee @ Aug 7 2019, 11:01 PM) *
I never really thought she was a racist and thought the issue was more based on class. Jo and Danielle were also far worse at the bullying yet never got a quarter of the blame Jade did!

That's a big part of what makes her story really sad for me, obviously Jo and Danielle weren't exactly ladies or viscountesses but Jade came from pretty much the lowest of the underclass and I genuinely don't think she was racist, it was just Shilpa was from a different background not culturally as such but economically and they clashed in that respect. She was lacking in cultural capital to deal with the situations she found herself in, both in BB3, afterwards and in CBB. That's part of what made her such a fascinating, real and relatable character, but it's also part of what makes her a tragic figure with how things went down and how she was treated.

That's not saying that some things she said to and about Shilpa weren't horrible, but she genuinely seemed sorry and was working to make amends and show that she was sorry. Danielle never really seemed to react and Jo just did the whole "I've got Indian people in my extended family I can't be racist". It's a real shame that the last bit of her life was dogged by her being hated so much in a way that was imo disproportionate to what she did compared to the way Jade and Jo were treated, it's tragic to have seen her career go full circle and end up back to being reviled by the media like she was at the start of BB3. I would have liked to have seen where her career might have gone after she had made amends if she hadn't passed before she really had a chance to try and rebuild her career.

+Quote Post
ElectroBoy
post Aug 7 2019, 10:34 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 3,002
   No Gallery Pics

I haven't seen this yet; however I remember the headlines during BB3 and the whole 'pig' things too. However I remember by the end of BB3 she had turned it around massively and Graham Norton was championing her. However given everything thats happened these days with LI stars etc, the headlines that Jade got were horrific and would never be allowed now

I also remember her going on Back to Reality on Channel 5 (I can't remember if that pre, or post race row), but she collapsed on there and was rushed to hospital, before returning to the house. But it was probably an early sign of everything else that was going on health-wise.

Jade wasn't perfect and I guess that was her charm. Not always likeable, but very identifiable. Definitely need to watch this though as I must've been late teens when she initially rose to fame... in fact BB3 being over 15 years ago feels very strange

This post has been edited by ElectroBoy: Aug 7 2019, 10:35 PM

+Quote Post
Jordanlee
post Aug 7 2019, 11:01 PM
Post #9
Jord

QUOTE(Liаm @ Aug 7 2019, 11:17 PM) *
Can't wait to watch this tomorrow!
That's a big part of what makes her story really sad for me, obviously Jo and Danielle weren't exactly ladies or viscountesses but Jade came from pretty much the lowest of the underclass and I genuinely don't think she was racist, it was just Shilpa was from a different background not culturally as such but economically and they clashed in that respect. She was lacking in cultural capital to deal with the situations she found herself in, both in BB3, afterwards and in CBB. That's part of what made her such a fascinating, real and relatable character, but it's also part of what makes her a tragic figure with how things went down and how she was treated.

That's not saying that some things she said to and about Shilpa weren't horrible, but she genuinely seemed sorry and was working to make amends and show that she was sorry. Danielle never really seemed to react and Jo just did the whole "I've got Indian people in my extended family I can't be racist". It's a real shame that the last bit of her life was dogged by her being hated so much in a way that was imo disproportionate to what she did compared to the way Jade and Jo were treated, it's tragic to have seen her career go full circle and end up back to being reviled by the media like she was at the start of BB3. I would have liked to have seen where her career might have gone after she had made amends if she hadn't passed before she really had a chance to try and rebuild her career.

That’s so many good points there what I agree with. I watched BB3 years after it actually aired and she was TV Gold. I really do see her as marmite like there were times I laughed and cringed at her and times I was just thinking oh god 👀 but she was just real and herself and we see a lot of people now on shows deliberately acting like she did. I think her not winning as well probably helped her to become a big star too as she had like an underdog feel about her.

With CBB Jade definitely made amends more than the other two and showed what I felt was like genuine remorse as well. I watched her BBLB interview and the eviction one and I feel she was just so taken aback and shocked by what she was being perceived as. But she also sort of owned her s*** too like she was pretty out of order but not racist. I feel it was perhaps sort of envy as she may have wished she’d had a life like Shilpas growing up.

Danielle was the worst I’d say and was the one who actually made comments what could have been seen as racist too.

Jo and Danielle had already come across in a bad light before Jade even entered as well as Jade entered after the launch didn’t she.

But yeah for her go to in the Indian version was a brave move and could’ve been a real turning point for her had she had a full stint in the house if what happened didn’t happen sad.gif sad.gif

+Quote Post
Aaron.
post Aug 8 2019, 12:34 AM
Post #10
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 3,245
   No Gallery Pics

Just gave this a watch. Really well done. 3 Parts to this is perfect.
I lost it when Davina came on the screen. Absolutely tied to Ultimate Big Brother and the segment they dedicated to Jade.
I loved that they had PJ and Alex as well. Poor Jackie tho.

+Quote Post
Martyn
post Aug 8 2019, 06:51 AM
Post #11
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 66

QUOTE(Mack. @ Aug 7 2019, 11:07 PM) *
Kevin O'Sullivan didn't even look apologetic looking back on what he wrote. Indeed shocked at the media coverage she had when she was in the house.

It's not even that he seemed proud of it. Which is so much worse. He also seemed to imply he should still be able to write things like that.

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Aug 8 2019, 08:11 AM
Post #12
❤️❤️➕🟦
   No Gallery Pics

It’s crazy looking back and seeing how much the landscape has now changed. The tabloids are still as horrendous as ever but I didn’t appreciate there was an lower level that they used to stoop to (not taking into account phone hacking).

The exclusive Big Brother interviews in Heat I remember always being massive as well but of course now everything is just immediate and all over the internet and, in particular, we know everything about what a famous person is doing by insta.

+Quote Post
spiceboy
post Aug 8 2019, 05:31 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 39,568
   No Gallery Pics

I’m not a fan of Jade at all tbh, I mean racist or not she was certainly a bully and I have no time for bullies whatsoever. But I do think the press she received at the beginning of her BB career was shocking, really vile. It was around the time that Spice Girls (particularly Victoria) were also being treated in the most vile hideous way. With the focus on mental health now I don’t think people suffer the same level of bullying from the media as back then which was horrendous.

+Quote Post
Jordanlee
post Aug 8 2019, 06:24 PM
Post #14
Jord

QUOTE(Spiceboy @ Aug 8 2019, 06:31 PM) *
I’m not a fan of Jade at all tbh, I mean racist or not she was certainly a bully and I have no time for bullies whatsoever. But I do think the press she received at the beginning of her BB career was shocking, really vile. It was around the time that Spice Girls (particularly Victoria) were also being treated in the most vile hideous way. With the focus on mental health now I don’t think people suffer the same level of bullying from the media as back then which was horrendous.

Social Media trolling is probably the equivalent to that now. Like the press are a bit nicer now but the stuff the press used to say / do now happens online.
Like in that time there wasn’t sites like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc or YouTube where a lot of reaction videos gear towards hate on people.

+Quote Post
King Rollo
post Aug 10 2019, 10:05 AM
Post #15
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 23,961
   No Gallery Pics

Saw this last night. I watched the whole of BB3 at the time so those clips brought back memories. That poor house/rich house task with the metal railings dividing the living room went on for weeks. We sadly didn't get to see a replay of Sandy urinating in the bin before climbing over the wall. I was surprised at the time that Jade was first out on the final night. She'd built up a lot of support by the end and I thought she'd win more votes than at least one of the other three.

Graham Norton's show was on five nights a week at about 11pm and he had Jade on three or four times after she came out.

I'm looking forward to part 2 now,it will be interesting to see which of the housemates from CBB agreed to appear on the documentary to comment on what happened.

+Quote Post
ElectroBoy
post Aug 10 2019, 11:58 AM
Post #16
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 3,002
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(King Rollo @ Aug 10 2019, 11:05 AM) *
Saw this last night. I watched the whole of BB3 at the time so those clips brought back memories. That poor house/rich house task with the metal railings dividing the living room went on for weeks. We sadly didn't get to see a replay of Sandy urinating in the bin before climbing over the wall. I was surprised at the time that Jade was first out on the final night. She'd built up a lot of support by the end and I thought she'd win more votes than at least one of the other three.

Just having a look she picked up 20% of the vote, which given how hated she was for the majority of BB3 was a fantastic showing. That final was close between all 4 of the finalists. I think had the show been 1 week longer, then she probably would've won overall

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Aug 14 2019, 09:12 PM
Post #17
❤️❤️➕🟦
   No Gallery Pics

This continues to be such an interesting watch. At the tine, I feel I was too young to appreciate the difference in class and particularly how that servant task was probably one of the most psychological tests of the entire BB series, to the point where it’s quite harmful and perhaps trying to make a mockery of Jade and her family?? I do remember not understanding why Jack and Jackiet also entered and I’m still don’t understand why now. She might have fared better without them.

The show may have both made and ‘ended’ her career but I still believe that series also killed Big Brother as a show. Of course it was only axed (again) last year but it was never seen in the same light again and turned from the big guilty pleasure mainstream watercooler hit (a la Love Island) to ‘oh, you still watching that?’

It’s interesting to see the reactions from her celeb housemates in her being there in the Celebrity house when you consider that the house become overrun with reality TV stars, particularly in the later days.

+Quote Post
lewistgreen
post Aug 14 2019, 10:12 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 19,585

That was an interesting watch this week and good to see them giving the entire episode to the CBB stint and its impact. It really was a turning point for Jade - That News of the World interview was hard to watch.

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Aug 14 2019, 10:48 PM
Post #19
you never forget your first time...
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 13,530

I never watched the CBB episode at the time so I've learnt about it as the years have gone by. This was the first time I saw some of the footage as well as learning about the context in terms of Jade's life, and it was uncomfortable. The comments were below the belt and unquestionably racist (class seemed to be used as an excuse, I expect if Shilpa were a white woman in that position it wouldn't be such an issue). Having Jackiey and Jack in there felt... wrong, too. I agreed with one of the comments an interviewee made - it was made to be Jade's home, with her family, where she could say what she wanted because she was so important.

It's also so interesting to see just how quickly public opinion can shift (and rightly so). Going from being so well loved to absolutely detested, and the crazy thing was how she had no idea what was going on outside the house.

+Quote Post
spiceboy
post Aug 14 2019, 11:19 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 39,568
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jordan Lee @ Aug 8 2019, 07:24 PM) *
Social Media trolling is probably the equivalent to that now. Like the press are a bit nicer now but the stuff the press used to say / do now happens online.
Like in that time there wasn’t sites like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc or YouTube where a lot of reaction videos gear towards hate on people.

This is very true, spot on!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:59 AM