BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> England and Scotland players cannot wear poppies, FIFA says they are "political"
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Silas
post 3rd November 2016, 11:59 AM
Post #21
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

I've seen on twitter that the SFA are planning on telling FIFA to go f*** themselves and will wear the poppy anyway.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 4th November 2016, 12:54 AM
Post #22
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

I don't understand how people think the poppy isnt political?

Also another point - hate how ALL MPs have to conform to a pro wearing the poppy position n matter what party they are in and Tories generally seem irrationally angry about things like FIFA banning it, a bit like unionists in Ireland!

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 4th November 2016, 08:58 AM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

We have now been reminded who proposed the current FIFA rule in the first place. To the surprise of precisely nobody, it was our very own FA. They proposed it after England players wore t-shirts commemorating the life of Nelson Mandela after he died. If that is deemed political (and clearly the FA thought it was), then surely a poppy is also political.

+Quote this post
ML Hammer95
post 4th November 2016, 11:42 AM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,265

The Danny Mills suggestions a few posts back sound eminently sensible. Why not get creative instead of fighting FIFA on this?

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 4th November 2016, 11:30 PM
Post #25
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Nov 4 2016, 08:58 AM) *
We have now been reminded who proposed the current FIFA rule in the first place. To the surprise of precisely nobody, it was our very own FA. They proposed it after England players wore t-shirts commemorating the life of Nelson Mandela after he died. If that is deemed political (and clearly the FA thought it was), then surely a poppy is also political.

Do you have a link SH?

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 5th November 2016, 02:54 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

QUOTE(Steve201 @ Nov 4 2016, 11:30 PM) *
Do you have a link SH?

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/footbal...d=facebook-post

The relevant paragraph is this one...

The Fifa rule in question – Law 4, paragraph 4 - outlaws nations wearing anything that can be construed as a political or religious statement under the Equipment Regulations. It was actually proposed by the FA in 2014, after players wore Nelson Mandela T-shirts after his death.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 5th November 2016, 03:37 PM
Post #27
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

In other FIFA symbiology-related news this week, FIFA fined Iran's FA after players wore a black arm band to commemorate an Islamic holy day during a World Cup qualifier against South Korea. They also opened up disciplinary proceedings against the Republic of Ireland's FA for wearing a badge commemorating the 100th anniversary of the Easter Rising. Whether this shows that FIFA is clamping down more on overtly political & religious displays, or that it's just become more visible due to if affecting England & Scotland, I am unsure about, although in those two cases I can see the sense in Fifa taking the action that they did.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 5th November 2016, 03:43 PM
Post #28
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

In many ways it would be great to see England banned from WC2018, it would save us all from watching the inevitable mediocre football that we would otherwise have to endure.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 5th November 2016, 07:37 PM
Post #29
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

That's if we get there.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 6th November 2016, 01:20 AM
Post #30
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Nov 5 2016, 03:37 PM) *
In other FIFA symbiology-related news this week, FIFA fined Iran's FA after players wore a black arm band to commemorate an Islamic holy day during a World Cup qualifier against South Korea. They also opened up disciplinary proceedings against the Republic of Ireland's FA for wearing a badge commemorating the 100th anniversary of the Easter Rising. Whether this shows that FIFA is clamping down more on overtly political & religious displays, or that it's just become more visible due to if affecting England & Scotland, I am unsure about, although in those two cases I can see the sense in Fifa taking the action that they did.

I was at the Ireland game in question - it was on Good Friday and it was the only place in Dublin you could get a drink which is completely different from the qualifying games when the bars are closed due to FIFA rules against treating football fans like human beings which leads me to think it was an international friendly organised between the two associations?

+Quote this post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 12:31 AM