BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Overrated and underrated video games
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liаm
post 13th February 2017, 02:40 AM
Post #1
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

I know there are a few gamers on here - so which games do you find to be overrated amongst our community?

I was talking to my housemate this evening and we both agreed that Super Mario 64 is horrendously overrated. I get that its impact was huge and it formulated 3D platformers which are still a genre I have a huge affinity for, but the controls and camera are just awful and it hasn't aged well. If you look at Crash Bandicoot, released the same year, it has aged much better and is still fun. I don't feel the same repetitiveness and clunky controls from it as I did with Super Mario 64. I don't even have the nostalgia for Crash Bandicoot as I was always a Spyro guy and didn't play Crash until later, perhaps you need the nostalgia with Mario 64 but I just hate it laugh.gif

A more recent example is The Last Of Us, I started off loving it and whilst it is very well done (so perhaps overrated is the wrong word, I can't disagree with the praise that its execution gets), but I found it quickly got ridiculously boring. Everyone went on about the story, but I quickly lost patience with forgiving the amount of boring and samey slow paced game play it took to get to the bits of the story!

I also don't particularly like Call Of Duty as a series, but like Mario 64 I can appreciate their impact and influence on their genres, I just wouldn't choose to play them.

As for underrated, whilst it gets good reviews, commercial success wise I have to say the Shantae series - especially the GBC one. I prefer the recent Half Genie Hero game but the GBC one is so astoundingly done for a game on the game boy color! As a whole though I can't recommend the series enough, the transformations into animals with different abilities is such a great concept.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Dircadirca
post 13th February 2017, 07:40 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 19,614

Super Mario 64 is an interesting one. The camera is definitely a big drawback, and as well as that, there are just some odd quirks with physics and momentum that have always stuck out to me. Oddly enough though I grew up on the N64, I never owned SM64 so I don't have much nostalgic attachment. At my household we had the Banjo games which I favoured more at the time for their quirky characters, general vibrance and variety. I've always had a liking for Metroidvania aspects in games where you slowly learn new skills which help you overcome previous obstacles. Only played through Super Mario 64 in full a few years back but I had a lot of fun with it. As a follower of speedrunning, I really appreciate how dynamic the controls are with SM64; Mario has so many different actions to let him jump around in all manner of ways to pull off pretty incredible feats. Sunshine & the Galaxy games do the same and I find the controls tighter, but it's remarkable how well they got that aspect right back then. Still find the forced exiting of levels after picking up stars to be a big immersion breaker though.

In general a lot of N64 games haven't held up particularly well (GoldenEye 007 is borderline unplayable by today's standards), and I'd potentially call out some as being overrated if nostalgia goggles are keeping them heralded. In a similar perspective, Ocarina Of Time is obviously great, but it's frequently touted as best of all time material, which doesn't seem right when there's too much to scrutinize in it. Now that it's been remade for the 3DS, I really can't justify going back to the N64 version, if you play through the water temple on both versions you'll know what I mean.

In terms of underrated, I've been on a Dynasty Warriors kick lately, and I feel the games get kicked down too readily for their sameyness/rudimentary gameplay, but I feel there's way more beneath that which gets overlooked. Certainly not without its flaws, but the act of slashing through hundreds and hundreds of nameless mooks is just oddly cathartic, and I like the diverse array of characters. The most recent one in the series (8) has also really refined things into the best experience with the franchise yet I think.

Also want to shout out GemCraft, which is just a flash game series, but the most recent one is just $10 on Steam and it's by far the most in-depth and engaging tower defence game on the market. I've sunk over 300 hours into it and there are still new goals on the horizon in it.

+Quote this post
Oliver
post 13th February 2017, 10:13 AM
Post #3
Group icon
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
User: 15,367

I agree about "Dynasty Warriors", seems to always get pretty meh scores (60-70%) but I've always enjoyed just sitting down and carving through hordes of enemies. I also like the whole Chinese dynasty setting as well and how it's pretty accurate regarding names and factions etc.

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post 13th February 2017, 10:13 AM
Post #4
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666

Underrated games:

Science Papa
Slyder Adventures
Bounce On and Bounce On 2
Jelly Car 3
I would say Tap Tap Revenge 3 but the servers to those games have shut down, so they have been unplayable since 2014.

Can't think of overrated games.

+Quote this post
Brightest Blue
post 13th February 2017, 11:14 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 23,155

Call Of Duty is definitely the best game out there wub.gif

+Quote this post
Dircadirca
post 13th February 2017, 11:20 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 19,614

QUOTE(Oliver @ Feb 13 2017, 06:13 PM) *
I agree about "Dynasty Warriors", seems to always get pretty meh scores (60-70%) but I've always enjoyed just sitting down and carving through hordes of enemies. I also like the whole Chinese dynasty setting as well and how it's pretty accurate regarding names and factions etc.

Yeah, they dramatise a lot of characterisations and events, but I feel like I have an above average knowledge of 3rd century Chinese history now biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
The-BrightPlaces
post 13th February 2017, 09:40 PM
Post #7
Group icon
I wanna contribute to the chaos
User: 23,513

I do really love The Last of Us but I get what you're saying Liam, at the beginning I was like "this is the best game EVER" and then as it went on and you were just constantly doing the same thing and nothing really changed it became a bit of a drag, it is still amongst some of my favourite games but it probably is a bit overrated. I think some of the earlier Call of Duty's were pretty good but it's just the exact same stuff every game so I stop bothering buying them after black ops 2, so I would say they are overrated nowadays. Mirrors edge also overrated, oh and don't get me started on No Man's Sky, that was the most anticipated game of 2016 for me and it was the biggest disappointment, the idea is so awesome as well but there is just f*** all to do! I would have preferred fewer planets so they could have put more detail into each and actual made some sort of plot..but anyway moving on! Heavy rain and beyond two souls I would say are definitely underrated, same with Watchdogs and Rocket League, they are all such faves wub.gif

+Quote this post
Seinfeld
post 13th February 2017, 10:00 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Is anyone here a marine biologist?
User: 10,505

I don't play video games much these days (the PS3 is mainly a DVD player for Seinfeld). wub.gif

I think Driver: San Francisco is a very underrated game. It came out in 2011 with very little hype or fanfare but I thought it was a great game. It did get decent reviews but nobody really talks about it or even remembers it. I suppose the Driver series reputation was ruined a lot after the Driv3r debacle but DSF was definitely a return to form. biggrin.gif wub.gif

+Quote this post
Cameron
post 13th February 2017, 10:10 PM
Post #9
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*
User: 18,061

The real question about video games though... When is Spyro the dragon coming to PS4?

Underrated AF

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 13th February 2017, 10:15 PM
Post #10
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
User: 20,835

Midtown Madness underrated game

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 13th February 2017, 10:20 PM
Post #11
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

I am kind of waiting for No Man's Sky to be dropped down to about a fiver, then I think I'd be happy spending money for it. Call Of Duty is a joke these days and I'm one of those weird people who only ever played it for the story (in general, screw multiplayer in nearly all games) but I have been feeling withdrawal symptoms for the older games in the series lately.

My answer for underrated is every game ever made by Paradox Interactive bar Cities:Skylines but that's probably predictable of me.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 13th February 2017, 10:30 PM
Post #12
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

Actually for overrated, I know it got nearly its own discussion thing a while back but The Sims is springing to mind. I'm not good with the whole 'go against the game design' thing to do hilarious stuff (as in the main attraction seems to be drowning people or locking them in a room and getting some sadistic joy out of it) and the game itself is simplistic, to progress in the game you have to cut too close to everyday life and... it feels like I'm playing with a doll's house. It's just too insincere.

I like other sandbox games but The Sims rubs me up the wrong way a bit.

+Quote this post
The-BrightPlaces
post 13th February 2017, 10:59 PM
Post #13
Group icon
I wanna contribute to the chaos
User: 23,513

QUOTE(Iz~ @ Feb 13 2017, 10:20 PM) *
I am kind of waiting for No Man's Sky to be dropped down to about a fiver, then I think I'd be happy spending money for it.

It should be tbh, I spend £40 on it - so much regret. If I had known what I know now I wouldn't have spent more than £10 tbh, and it's probably not even worth that much.

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 13th February 2017, 11:17 PM
Post #14
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

goat simulator

I don't know whether to classify it as overrated or underrated

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 13th February 2017, 11:18 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

I'm glad I didn't get sucked into No Man's Sky's hype, such a shambles drama.gif It's basically an indie game they'd sell for like £5.99 in the Steam Sale masquerading as a summer blockbuster game :/

EDIT: Goat Simulator *.* I love it for how bizarre it is.

QUOTE(Cameron @ Feb 13 2017, 10:10 PM) *
The real question about video games though... When is Spyro the dragon coming to PS4?

Underrated AF

OMG YESSSSSSS

If I could only have game series remastered, it would be the original trilogy wub.gif The 3rd one especially is absolutely flawless.

+Quote this post
Tyler
post 14th February 2017, 09:21 AM
Post #16
Group icon
If people hate you, don’t hate them.
User: 67

I really find the bloodrayne games underrated sad.gif

Old af but I loved them both.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 14th February 2017, 09:30 AM
Post #17
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

QUOTE(Cameron @ Feb 13 2017, 11:10 PM) *

Underrated AF

Omg THIS!! wub.gif

They just got better and better.

Until the 4th one dry.gif

+Quote this post
Tyler
post 14th February 2017, 09:39 AM
Post #18
Group icon
If people hate you, don’t hate them.
User: 67

THE FOURTH ONE KILLED IT, so terrible. I tried to love it so bad. The first three are in my top 10 games of all time.

+Quote this post
Oliver
post 14th February 2017, 10:19 AM
Post #19
Group icon
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
User: 15,367

Well the original trilogy of Crash Bandicoot games are getting remastered, so maybe (with the two titles being so closely aligned in the PS1 days) we'll be getting some Spyro the Dragon remasters in the near future? It all depends on Skylanders I imagine...with Activision being the Publishers for both games they might stick to having both in the same universe rather than release another Spyro game. thinking.gif

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 14th February 2017, 11:14 AM
Post #20
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

QUOTE(Tyler @ Feb 14 2017, 09:39 AM) *
THE FOURTH ONE KILLED IT, so terrible. I tried to love it so bad. The first three are in my top 10 games of all time.

The loading screens, the glitches, falling through fragmenting screens, the empty environments, omg it was completely unfinished and terrible.

One level, the water one, was half decent.

The ones AFTER Spyro 4 weren't half bad tbh.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 02:03 PM