BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> When should streaming have been included in the chart?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
When should streaming Have been included in the chart?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 34
Guests cannot vote 
Andrew.
post 23rd October 2017, 04:20 PM
Post #1
Group icon
is in hibernation
User: 21,161

When should streaming have been included in the chart?

I put the start of 2015! Iirc, download sales, while well into decline by then were still fairly strong (almost 3 million looking back on a few of the sales threads) and the whole backdating streams from early 2014 when it happened was messy as hell laugh.gif This would've been a cleaner way to do it! I'd say streams were only really NEEDED in the chart after the move to Friday's and OA/OS in July/August 2015 as that's when download sales really collapsed, they just seemed to go from 2.5m to under 2m in a few weeks which wasn't the nicest for number geeks like me to see x
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Brightest Blue
post 23rd October 2017, 04:21 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 23,155

When it was

+Quote this post
danG
post 23rd October 2017, 04:27 PM
Post #3
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

I think they included it too late, it really should have started being included from the start of 2014, with 2013 being used as a test year (the OCC were compiling streaming charts then so they could easily have found a formula for including streams in the charts in that time).

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 23rd October 2017, 04:30 PM
Post #4
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

We wouldn't have had all those glorious quite flukey hits in the first half of 2014 otherwise, I think I'm happy with when it is.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 23rd October 2017, 05:08 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

should have been much much earlier, the occ is always so slow with adapting to new technologies, even billboard counted streams first

+Quote this post
AcerBen
post 23rd October 2017, 05:34 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 3,429

No issue with the timing, just the stupid way they continue to use the data.

+Quote this post
Supercell
post 23rd October 2017, 07:59 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 11,831

I think early 2014 would have been better rather than having it halfway through the year. Streaming was barely contributing to the chart back when it was first introduced so I think the OCC did well adding it when they did. The only issue is how they've introduced ACR and created a meaningless chart that doesn't represent anything anymore and a set of rules they don't seem to follow half the time.

+Quote this post
Houdini
post 27th October 2017, 01:17 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,725

I would have chosen "never" if it was an option so I just chose later instead. The Official chart was very fun to follow before streaming got included, people can listen to the same songs over and over again for months but a purchase can only be made once and it made the chart a lot fresher than it is at the moment. These days you don't get the buzz of waiting until midnight for a new song to be released and tracking it's progress within the first 24 hours on sale.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 27th October 2017, 01:26 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

QUOTE(Houdini @ Oct 27 2017, 02:17 PM) *
I would have chosen "never" if it was an option so I just chose later instead. The Official chart was very fun to follow before streaming got included, people can listen to the same songs over and over again for months but a purchase can only be made once and it made the chart a lot fresher than it is at the moment. These days you don't get the buzz of waiting until midnight for a new song to be released and tracking it's progress within the first 24 hours on sale.

I would give anything for the chart to carry on the way it was in about 2013 as well... but in realistic terms by the end of this decade download sales are going to be as obsolete as physical CD sales now are, so what choice do they have? sad.gif

+Quote this post
danG
post 27th October 2017, 02:32 PM
Post #10
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

Exactly. The Official Chart would be a laughing stock right now if they hadn't included streaming. SES accounts for 90% of the singles market, they can't just ignore 90% of the market.

+Quote this post
Hadji
post 27th October 2017, 03:01 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,386

I’d choose “never” if it was option but as for ACR, they should have introduced it at the same time as introductions streaming into the charts

+Quote this post
Houdini
post 30th October 2017, 07:11 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,725

Paid-for-sales might be low but it is still the more fun and easy to understand way of calculating the chart in my opinion. The Official chart now is like how I would imagine a post grad maths course to be like, it's not straight forward to measure the chart when you've got the genuine sales figures being added up together with made up "streaming equivalent sales".

And it's laughable when you read the weekly sales reports and they write something like "10. J Balvin feat Willy Williams (22,798 sales) when we all know that nowhere near 22,000 people bought that song last week.

They should have had a separate chart for streaming where they could have ranked the songs using the actual number of streams written in millions instead of these made up numbers that they are using now.

And don't get me started on this "ACR" bollocks laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Houdini: 30th October 2017, 07:15 PM

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 09:00 AM