BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> R&B & Hip-Hop Number Ones (00's), 2000-2009
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Riser
post 24th May 2020, 02:25 AM
Post #21
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534

I never knew Caught Out There was originally for Busta Rhymes, that's interesting. I love that it's Kelis' debut single because as an introduction it's anything but subtle! Definitely one of her best, if not the best.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 26th May 2020, 05:10 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 18,293

Honeyz - Won’t Take It Lying Down

5th Single from ’Wonder No. 8’

1 Week (5th March 2000 - 11th March 2000)

7-12-21-32-42-54-58-(x)-74-77 (9 weeks)

Honeyz are a British girl group founded under the name ‘Essence’ by members Célena Cherry, Heavenli Denton & Naima Belkhiati. After two successful singles, Denton left the group and was replaced by Mariama Goodman and this is the line-up that can be found here on the track ‘Won’t Take It Lying Down’. This made it 5/5 top 10 hits from their debut album but later on in the year, Goodman herself decided to leave the band and was replaced back by original member Denton. After her return, they released two further songs, ‘Not Even Gonna Trip’ a soundtrack single from Eddy Murphy sequel “Nutty Professor II: The Klumps” and “I Don’t Know” the planned first single from their second album. However, both tracks missed the top 20 and instead, despite recording and releasing a video for planned follow-up 'Talk To The Hand’, they were dropped before it could be released to buy. The band have since reunited twice for TV. The first occasion being for ITV’s ‘Hit Me, Baby, One More Time’ in 2005 and the latest being for ITV’s “The Big Reunion” in 2012, where they joined Atomic Kitten, Liberty X, B*Witched, Five & 911 in reforming for a special tour.

Won’t Take It Lying Down is lyrically quite similar to the Kelis track in that it is a retaliation to a boy (or hopefully 3 boys) who have cheated on the Honeyz. However, that’s really where the similarities end. While the Kelis track is bold and exciting, this one plays it much safer. We get none of the anger displayed in ‘Caught Out There’ but what we do get is a perefectly polished, seductive pop/R&B track that ticks every box you’d expect. Catchy hook, cheeky & impertinent lyrics, sexy video: all checks. Whoever directed the video certainly enjoys leather. Between the dresses, the gimp headdress and the shirt the guy wears you see enough of the material here to last you a lifetime.

While this may not be a favourite of mine, I do miss the times when we would see R&B/pop groups like Honeyz enter the chart regularly and would love to see that trend return sometime soon.

Next up we have a rapper who has gone by many names collaborating with a controversial singer.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 27th May 2020, 03:45 PM
Post #23
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

One interesting music video this with Honeyz. Decent song this from them.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 30th May 2020, 12:03 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Puff Daddy ft R. Kelly - Satisfy You

2nd Single from ’Forever’

1 Week (12th March 2000 - 18th March 2000)

73-78-73-8-10-13-22-30-36-45-63 (11 weeks)

Puff Daddy is record producer and rapper who is most known for founding the label ‘Bad Boy Entertainment’ and signing The Notorious B.I.G. His biggest hit was 1997’s Biggie tribute ‘I’ll Be Missing You. Since then he founded the successful group ‘Dirty Money’ and has turned entrepreneur, starting clothing, restaurants and vodka brands. He will appear another 3 times in this countdown under the names P. Diddy and Diddy. R. Kelly is now disgraced but was once one of the most popular and successful R&B artists of all-time who was particularly prominent in the 1990’s. This is the first of 5 appearances for him.

Let’s start with the most obvious thing you’ll notice when you listen to this song, the sample of Luniz’s 1995 hit ‘I Got 5 On It’. Now that track just so happens to be one of my all-time favourite songs, so Diddy & Kelly had big shoes to fill. ‘Satisfy You’ is for all intents and purposes a decent song. Diddy’s (and I will continue to call him Diddy as I’m not calling him Puff or Daddy) rapping is passable, R. Kelly has a nice voice and they gel together fairly well. However, when put atop that beat I can’t help but wish I was instead just listening to the superior Luniz track. It feels disconcerting when R. Kelly comes in with the chorus after the intro just as I’m ready to spit “player, give me some brew and I might just chill”. What exacerbates this problem is that Diddy seems to be trying to imitate the flow of Yukmouth & Numskull so it feels like you’re listening to IG5OI, just with less interesting lyrics and without the comradery the members of Luniz share. If this track was on an original beat I’m sure I would appreciate it a hell of a lot more. Although this feels like slightly harsh criticism seeming that it was hardy an original beat when Luniz first used it. Their song is made up of samples, most prominently of Club Nouveau’s “Why You Treat Me So Bad” but also of Kool & The Gang’s “Jungle Boogie” and Audio Two’s “Top Billin”.

Lyrically the song is about Diddy detailing all the ways why he is the right man for his girlfriend. While the chorus adds another layer to the song but suggesting that the girl already has another man and Kelly implores her to chose him; “He don't understand you like I do. No he'll never make love to you like I do, so give it to me”. This idea is explored further in the video where Diddy catches his girl cheating on him. This could be an interesting idea for a song but Diddy is not someone who is known for being a lyricist; no-one has P. Diddy in their top 5, and in turn a lot of the lyrics in this song come off as bland and unexceptional and sometimes a little cheesy.

The song was a huge success in America though. Spending 3 weeks at #2 behind Santana’s “Smooth” which means that it unjustly has a higher peak over there than Luniz. At least the UK had some sense to never let it match the original’s top 3 peak. Because nothing’s sacred, this isn’t even the last time we’re going to be hearing this sample in this countdown.

Next up we have our first bona-fide classic of the countdown by an artist more associated with 2001 than 2000. tongue.gif

+Quote this post
Tangela
post 1st June 2020, 05:18 PM
Post #25
Group icon
Tangelic
User: 23,643

I loved that Honeyz song laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 1st June 2020, 05:41 PM
Post #26
Group icon

It's all right this 'Satisfy You' this came 100th in my Urban Top 100 of the 00s. The sample is good. Difficult to listen now with R Kelly.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 3rd June 2020, 07:03 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Dr. Dre ft Snoop Dogg - Still D.R.E.

1st Single from ’2001’

2 Weeks (19th March 2000 - 1st April 2000)

6-7-10-14-21-29-41-46-59-67-(x)-93-(x)-90-99 (13 weeks)

Dr. Dre is a rapper and DJ from Compton, California who came to prominence in in the late 80’s as a member of gangsta rap pioneers N.W.A. After the separation of this group, Dre became a highly successful solo-artist, with albums “The Chronic” and “2001”. Nowadays he’s perhaps more famous for two other reasons: as an entrepreneur (and 2nd richest figure in hip-hop) for his foundation of audio-electronics company ‘Beats’ and as the record producer and executive who discovered and popularized many artists we will be hearing a lot from in this countdown, including 50 Cent, Eminem and the featured artist on this very song, Snoop Dogg. Snoop is another Californian artist who began making gansgsta rap, but has since softened his image. He is currently more associated with being an avid weed smoker and for changing his name to Snoop Lion and releasing reggae. And apparently now he does adverts for British takeaway apps. Dre only has one more appearance but Snoop has three more song to go.

Dre & Snoop have made three classics together, “Nothing But A G Thang” is obviously from the early 90’s and despite peaking in the top 3, “The Next Episode” cruelly doesn’t make this countdown which leaves Still D.R.E. as the one I get to discuss here. The first thing that’s worth noting about this song is that it has been confirmed that Jay-Z ghostwrote this whole song. Dre’s origins link back to being a DJ in N.W.A. and not a rapper and as a result, Dre has never been known as a hard-hitting lyricist like his bandmates Ice Cube or Eazy-E, but after the astronomical success of ‘The Chronic’, the doctor felt the pressure to make 2001 live up to its standard after a long time out and some notable disappointments (The Firm) and done what is a major no-no for most rappers and hired a ghostwriter (and, most importantly, admitted to it). Jay-Z certainly did his job well (and much better than he did in his own entry here), crafting a classic from scratch in less than 24 hours that restored Dre & Snoop right back to the top of the rap game. Even if it did somehow only peak at #93 in the USA ohmy.gif

While a look at the YouTube comments would show you that most people associate with GTA V nowadays, the one thing that immediately pops in my mind when I hear this song is the cars in the video. While they had been featured in plenty of rap videos before this, including in Dre’s NBAGT, this is the definitive video for lowriders and bouncing cars. While rap videos have seen many trends (‘designer’ alcohol, twerking, gold teeth, even Beats by Dre headphones), this will always be my favourite for aesthetical reasons, it’s looks weirdly cool, if completely unpractical.

Next up we have the first appearance from another all-girl R&B group.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 6th June 2020, 05:06 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Destiny’s Child - Say My Name

3rd Single from ’The Writing’s On The Wall’

1 Week (2nd April 2000 - 8th April 2000)

3-9-12-16-22-20-28-36-41-52-66-(x)-80-81 (13 weeks)

Destiny’s Child are one of the most successful R&B groups of all-time, most notably comprising of members Beyoncé Knowles, Kelly Rowland and Michelle Williams. Originating in Houston, Texas, the band originally formed under the name ‘Girl’s Tyme’ and included members LaTavia Roberson and LeToya Luckett, alongside Knowles and Rowland. After Roberson & Luckett attempted to leave their manager (Matthew Knowles, Beyoncé’s father), they were replaced from the group and never found out until they saw the video for this very song. New to the line-up were Michelle Williams and Farrah Franklin. Williams became a permanent inclusion, while Franklin only lasted for five months. This is only the first of five entries for the group, not including solo entries for both Knowles and Rowland.

Say My Name was inspired by an anecdote by one of the track’s writers, LaShawn Daniels who claimed that his girlfriend would get jealous when talking to him on the phone and demand he said her name to prove he wasn’t with another girl. The song is performed from the perspective of the girlfriend who’s phone conversations lead her to think her boyfriend is cheating. It’s a premise for a song that I really like, however, the song was not initially never intended to be released. Beyoncé in particular is said to have hated the first version of the track, claiming that it was too ‘busy and overstuffed’. With the song thought to be scrapped, producer Rodney Jerkins continued to work on it further behind the scenes and ended up with the version we know today. When this new version was played for the members of Destiny’s Child, they did a 180 and put the song onto the album. The rest is history. Beyoncé later said of the track “[Rodney] turned it into an amazing, timeless R&B record. It was one of the best songs we ever had, one of the best he’s ever produced”. Kelly also told the world that it is her favourite DC track.

Say My Name was, at the time, their biggest hit in the UK and probably remains to this day their most relevant with an excellent reworking by Summer Walker in ‘Playing Games’ and an ok interpolation in Drake’s ‘Girls Love Beyoncé’ in recent times. It is also getting the Jordan Peele scary-reworking trailer boost, after a remixed-version soundtracks the latest trailer for his exec-produced reboot of ‘Candyman’. The song is obviously a bit of a classic but I can't say I considered it amongst my favourites of their discography. I’ve always found it a little too pop-y and lacks the punch of the songs of theirs I hold in the highest regard (Bug A Boo, Survivor, etc) But my opinion is certainly not the prevalent one as the song has gone on to achieved many accolades including winning two Grammy awards (for best R&B Song & Performance), as well as landing at #58 on NME’s ‘Best 150 Tracks of the Last 15 Years’ in 2011 and, confusingly, appearing on both VH1’s ‘Best Songs of the 90’s’ and Pitchfork’s ‘Top Tracks of the 2000’s.

Next up we have the first song that was also a #1 officially.

+Quote this post
danG
post 7th June 2020, 08:28 AM
Post #29
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

Still D.R.E. and Say My Name would have to be my faves here so far, both highlights of what I've heard from them.
From the few songs I've heard of Honeyz, that one is the only I actually enjoyed.
Caught Out There is rather good too though I prefer her later hits.

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post 7th June 2020, 10:26 AM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223

Say My Name wub.gif A timeless classic

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 7th June 2020, 08:41 PM
Post #31
Group icon

Still D.R.E. what a urban classic this is from Dr Dre and Snoop Dogg. Say My Name that is a timeless classic echoing what Jack said.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 10th June 2020, 05:29 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Craig David - Fill Me In

1st Single from ’Born To Do It’

4 Weeks (9th April 2000 - 6th May 2000)

1-2-2-3-7-13-16-20-27-36-45-47-56-72-77-77-80 (17 weeks)

Craig David is a singer, DJ and rapper from Southampton who rose to fame by providing the vocals on Artful Dodger’s 1999 garage classic ‘Re-Rewind (The Crowd Say Bo Selecta)’. He reached his peak popularity next year with the release of his debut album ‘Born To Do It’ (at the time the fastest-selling debut album by a British male) which spawned four top 10 singles before being certified 6x platinum in the UK and selling over 8 million copies worldwide. While remaining popular, David’s next four albums all seen diminishing returns, which has been seen as a result of Leigh Francis’s sketch show ‘Bo Selecta!’, which frequently portrayed him as blunt Yorkshire man with a pet falcon named Kes, turning David into a laughing stock. However, like in all good comeback stories, he had a renaissance in 2016 after going back to his roots with the garage-tinged Big Narstie collaboration ‘When The Bassline Drops’ which saw him back in top the top for the first time in 9 years. This lead to his more danced-fused ‘Following My Intuition’ becoming his 2nd #1 album.

Fill Me In was his debut solo single and got David off to a wonderful start, debuting at #1 in an all-new top 6 above Sweet Female Attitude’s “Flowers”, Richard Ashcroft’s “A Song For The Lovers” Steps’s “Deeper Shade Of Blue”, Bloodhound Gang’s “The Bad Touch” and Lock ‘N’ Load’s “Blow Your Mind”. Despite this glut of new entries, Fill Me In managed a very impressive 85,000 copy lead over 2nd place. It’s no surprise this was so massive though as it is a bonafide classic and, alongside his follow-up which is still to appear, solidified Craig David as the biggest British solo act of the early 2000s. This took some of the garage elements that first made him popular but mixed it with some cool R&B vibes to elevate into a sound that still feels so fresh.

Fresh is the perfect way to describe David at the time. When this was released, he was still a month away from his 19th birthday and the innocence and naivety of youth can be seen in the lyrics. The song tells the story of trying to sneak around with his beau (who, in stereotypical fashion for any story on teenage romance, lives next door) behind the backs of their parents. The verses describe what the two lovers do when they’re together (pouring wine, jumping in the car on way to the club) while the choruses are from the perspective of her parents who know something is up and question her on all the telltale signs she’s leaving (leaving her money on the TV(!), wearing different clothes, leaving the Jacuzzi on). The video shows the David and his girlfriend trying to meet up but always getting humorously interrupted by the girl’s father. But who this girl actually is remains a mystery. Not even Craig David himself knows who the actress in the video was which led to Complex starting an investigation to try and find her to no avail. All we know is that she was from South Africa.

This is still my favourite Craig David song. It feels so effortless and smooth, every line flows perfectly into the next. This is also one of the few songs in this rundown that managed to land in the top 100 songs of the 2000's decade, ending up at '93.

Next up we have a song that named after a piece of clothing.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 10th June 2020, 10:20 PM
Post #33
Group icon

What a bonafold classic this was from Craig David. Fantastic song this.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 13th June 2020, 03:54 PM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Sisqó - Thong Song

2nd Single from ’Unleash The Dragon’

4 Weeks (7th May 2000 - 3rd June 2000)

3-3-5-6-11-12-16-19-30-35-37-45-58-69-(x)-83-(x)-97 (16 weeks)

Sisqó, real name Mark Althavan Andrews, is a singer, dancer and actor from Baltimore, Maryland who found fame as the lead singer of R&B group Dru Hill. One thing he’s most remembered for is his everchanging hairstyles and colours, most notably having platinum and blue dyes. He also enjoyed an eccentric style in fashion that stood him out amongst his band. Sisqós solo career began after Woody departed Dru Hill in 1999 to pursue his own solo career, which led to the rest of the members deciding to do the same. The only one who managed success was Sisqó, who’s debut album spawned two top 10 singles on both sides of the Atlantic (‘Incomplete’ becoming a Billboard #1 single and Unleash The Dragon peaking at #6 in the UK). The only hit that dominated charts worldwide (reaching #3 in the USA & UK) was the novelty smash ‘Thong Song’ which will be his only appearance here. After his second album underperformed and the Dru Hill reunion flopped, Sisqó and his bandmates were all dropped from their record contracts in 2002. Since then, Sisqó has branched out into reality TV, taking part in Celebrity Wife Swap and Celebrity Big Brother UK, as well as starring in Dru Hill’s own reality show ‘Keith Sweat’s Platinum House’.

Thought it may be deemed novelty, Thong Song is a massive jam. The story of how the song came about is hilarious too. Just as Sisqó was nearly finished with recording songs for his debut album, production duo Tim & Bob sent him a 30 second beat that sampled ‘Eleanor Rigby’ by The Beatles. Sisqó loved it so much he asked them to turn it into a full length song and began to freestyle the backbone, however he couldn’t come up with a chorus. Later on, he goes on a date with a girl and when they go back to his crib and she starts to undress, she is wearing a thong, something which Sisqó had never seen before which led to this absolutely amazing quote in a DefJam interview with him: “You ever see that movie The Ten Commandments? It's an old school movie, Charlton Heston. At first when he was in Egypt, his hair was dark. Then he went up in the mountains and saw God, and when he came back down his hair was silver. That's literally what happened to me. The next day I call all my boys and I'm like, ‘gather around let me tell you tale. I saw this thing. It was like dental floss, but it was underwear. She called it a thong’.” The next day he goes back to the studio with his friend and while they’re messing about his mate comes up with the ‘thong-tha-thong-thong-thong” line that changed history. They end up loving it so much they record it into the song, removed the Beatles sample (because MJ owned the right to their music and Sisqó believed he already “stole enough from him”) and created a classic of the MTV-era. If you get a chance, read the full DefJam article about the history of this song because it’s a fascinating read.

With the song in the bag, the only thing that was needed now was a video. And in a song called ‘Thong Song’, as much booties in thongs as humanly possible seemed like a must. However, the FCC were not keen on allowing thongs in the video which meant that they had to be a bit more restrained than you might have thought, with all shots of thongs only showing the front side. It seems a pretty arbitrary rule seeming that there are other shots of butts in here, but it seemed to work anyway with sales of thongs apparently skyrocketting according to Victoria's Secret and it opened the door for the booty-obsessed videos we see today. Early on in this post I called Sisqó a dancer and after watching the video I wish to revoke that statement, some of the moves here look like they’ve come straight out of Lazy Town.

I love this song but ever since Little Mix sampled it expertly in their track ‘Love A Girl Right’ on their last album ‘LM5’, I can’t sing-along to Thong Song anymore without slipping into the lyrics of LAGR. Lyrically, the Little Mix song is certainly an improvement though, there’s no lyrics are bad as “she had dumps like a truck” in that one.

Next up we have another song that had been prominently sampled in an album track by a British artist in the past couple of years.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 13th June 2020, 10:13 PM
Post #35
Group icon

An guilty pleasure of mine from Sisqo.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 16th June 2020, 08:45 PM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Mary Mary - Shackles (Praise You)

1st Single from ’Thankful’

2 Weeks (4th June 2000 - 10th June 2000 & 18th June 2000 - 24th June 2000)

5-8-6-10-12-20-23-27-31-36-40-49-(x)-85 (13 weeks)

Mary Mary is a gospel duo from Inglewood, California which consists of sisters Erica & Trecina Atkins-Campbell. Their name is derived from the names of two of the most important women in the Bible; Mary, mother of Jesus and close follower of Jesus, Mary Magdalene. ‘Shackles’ is one of two songs they managed to chart in the UK top 40, the other being their follow-up “I Sings” that peaked at #32 later on in 2000 and caused controversy amongst some areas of their conservative Christian following who deemed it immoral to shoot a music video inside of a nightclub. They have released 6 studio albums between 2000-2011, all of which reached #1 in the Billboard Gospel charts apart from their final release ‘Something Big’ that could only make #2 (behind Kirk Franklin’s ‘Hello Fear’). Since then they have starred in their own self-named reality show that aired from 2012-2017.

Shackles (Praise You) is an overtly religious song (the song is literally about the feeling of freedom their faith in the lord has provided them), but has a universal appeal with a much more contemporary R&B sound than most music you’d consider Christian. If you don’t pay too much attention to the lyrics, you’d probably never guess the gospel roots. In fact, the song samples ‘Don’t Look Any Further’ by Dennis Edwards & Siesah Edwards, one of the most influential R&B tracks of the 80’s, being sampled in over 100 songs by artists including Mary J. Blige, Snoop Dogg, TLC, The Notorious B.I.G. & Tupac. Another notable thing to mention about this song is its relative short length. At 3:16, it's the shortest song in this rundown so far and one of only 2 out of 12 that's over in less than 4 minutes (the other being Fierce’s Sweet Love 2K).

The only thing that I dislike about the song and what really dates it is the brief and unnecessary use of autotune. That’s why I actually prefer Tiana Major9’s rendition of its chorus in the album track “Rainfall” from Stormzy’s latest album ‘Heavy Is the Head’. The track is an absolute stand-out from an album that rarely reached the highlights of his debut. I would love to hear a full version from her. The bridge where the sample is played in full is so joyous and reminds me of the first time I head the ‘Murder on the Dancefloor’ sample used in the same way on Skepta’s album a few months before. Even more recently, ‘Shackes’ has been used (perhaps less successfully) on Lecrae & YK Osiris’ ‘Set Me Free’ which was released earlier this year.

Next up we have someone who more people will now know as an actor rather than a singer.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 18th June 2020, 11:00 PM
Post #37
Group icon

Shackles (Praise You) a terrific tune this. A classic from Mary Mary.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 19th June 2020, 03:12 PM
Post #38
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

I'm adoring this countdown and have been discovering some really great tracks. The Honeyz one has been my favourite new find so far!! Sorry I've not been commenting at all but I'm reading all the commentary every time x

+Quote this post
Jade
post 19th June 2020, 03:22 PM
Post #39
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Amazing effort Lewis *.* there is a lot of crossover with my own 1997-onwards countdown, most recently Mary Mary and Craig David heart.gif

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 20th June 2020, 07:18 PM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Thanks to everyone who's commented so far. I'm glad to hear people have appreciated and enjoyed reading it heart.gif

New post will be up in the next 10 mins!

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 05:18 PM