BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

15 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Spice Girls - 'Spiceworld', 1997 • 2nd Album
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
-Jay-
post 20th April 2020, 10:19 PM
Post #1
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

'Spiceworld'
3rd November 1997

1. Spice Up Your Life
2. Stop
3. Too Much
4. Saturday Night Divas
5. Never Give Up on the Good Times
6. Move Over
7. Do It
8. Denying
9. Viva Forever
10. The Lady Is a Vamp
+ Step to Me [Japanese Bonus Track]

---------------

A discussion thread for us to reminisce about the Spice Girls' sophomore album 'Spiceworld'!

Chat about everything to do with the 'Spiceworld' era - the singles, album tracks, music videos, performances, B Sides etc! Feel free to post your own reviews / ranks. cheer.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 20th April 2020, 10:19 PM
Post #2
Group icon

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 20th April 2020, 10:37 PM
Post #3
Group icon

I'll start the topic off by linking this recently made fan-made video for 'Denying'! It's really well done and offers a tantalising glimpse of what a 5 piece Spice Girls would look like in a music video nowadays.

heart.gif

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 20th April 2020, 10:58 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

Love the album great cover, brilliant lead single and all round great pop album, shame geri leaving over shadowed some of the era.

+Quote this post
schizo_spice
post 20th April 2020, 11:08 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,574

I think it's the best album released by a girl group.

It was ten tracks of diverse brilliance (Latin, Motown, RnB, jazz, pop) that work so well together. Vocals are great from all five and so distinct. Beautiful harmonies and a great feeling of togetherness.

Great artwork and single choices aswell.

Faultless, it would've been very difficult to top this album no matter how things had panned out with Geri.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 20th April 2020, 11:10 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

I think 'Spice' just about edges this album for me on the whole but it does house my two favourite Spice Girls singles in 'Viva Forever' and 'Spice Up Your Life'. I hold it in very high regard too and the added element of the accompanying movie gives it even more charm. My ranking would be:

01. Viva Forever
02. Spice Up Your Life
03. Stop
04. Step to Me [Japanese Bonus Track]
05. Too Much
06. Saturday Night Divas
07. Denying
08. Do It
09. Never Give Up on the Good Times
10. Move Over
11. The Lady Is a Vamp

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 20th April 2020, 11:12 PM
Post #7
Group icon

This might just be my favourite album of all-time! It's definitely in my Top 5 anyway.

23 years later and it still holds up as one of the best pop music albums ever, for me. I'll never find this album boring, I love it as much at the age of 32 as I did when I was just 9 years old!

I agree that it's quite a diverse listen with the different genre influences, yet it feels cohesive.

It's crazy to think that this album was pretty rushed, recorded when they had spare time during the Spiceworld The Movie shoot. Perhaps that added pressure is what helped drive their creativity and result in something so great.

I think the artwork is my favourite album cover of theirs too. I don't think it's as iconic an image as their debut album, but I do prefer it!

What an exceptional singles run too! They could have pushed it further than those 4. While Viva Forever was certainly strong enough to be a stand alone release, it would still have been brilliant for it to be a Double A Side with Never Give Up on the Good Times. Do It, even though it has its haters, sounds to me like it could have been a hit too.

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post 20th April 2020, 11:48 PM
Post #8
Group icon
is in hibernation
User: 21,161

I've listened to this and 'Spice', I found the latter a bit fillery oop but I love this so much, I agree it's so diverse and innovative for a girl group album! Queens did that. Damn I really wish I'd seen them in Murrayfield last year sad.gif Apart from the singles (actually my four favourite spice songs!), my favourite is Never Give up on the good times. *pretends to be shocked etc*

01. Stop
02. Viva Forever
03. Too Much
04. Spice Up Your Life
05. Never Give Up on the Good Times
06. Do It
07. Saturday Night Divas
08. Move Over
09. The Lady Is a Vamp
10. Denying (the only track I'm not keen on)

Need to return to this more cheeseblock.png

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 20th April 2020, 11:52 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I agree its prob the best album by a girl band it's so strong from start to finish.With stop missing out on number 1 I do think they should have gone with 5 singles with viva forever as a stand alone, for me never give up on the good times would have been the choice as I think at worst they would have got another top 5. Spice world was always a hard album to follow and and it was so good for me it left forever possibly more disappointing than it actually is.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 21st April 2020, 12:37 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587

Definitely the best ever girl band album. It has iconic songs, but also amazing album tracks without the massive duds that let Spice down (like Mama).

Do It is the worst track but even then it is a good song (just cringe lol) but it all works in context I guess.

As a whole, it is a near-perfect pop album with a near perfect run of singles.

Things I would change:

- Add Step To Me to all standard releases across the world. I would place it right after Denying:

1. Spice Up Your Life
2. Stop
3. Too Much
4. Saturday Night Divas
5. Never Give Up On The Good Times
6. Move Over
7. Do It
8. Denying
9. Step To Me
10. Viva Forever
11. Lady Is A Vamp

- Release Never Give Up On The Good Times with a tour montage video later in the Summer of 1998, like in September. With a celebratory single mix and two of the other girls singing Geri's lines, it would be an amazing bridge between Viva Forever and Goodbye, I think, and keep the Spice alive post-Geri and provide us with a new Spice classic!

- Release a Delux edition in late Novemver/December 1998 with Goodbye on it and a couple of other tracks and remixes. Maybe a Christmas edition would have been appropriate for the time, but also including a single version of NGOTGT, My Strongest Suit and maybe a couple of unreleased tracks? It would also very much enhance Spiceworld's sales quite a lot if it was released around Christmas... We could now be looking at 2million sales just in the UK...

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 21st April 2020, 01:19 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Apr 21 2020, 01:37 PM) *
Definitely the best ever girl band album. It has iconic songs, but also amazing album tracks without the massive duds that let Spice down (like Mama).

Do It is the worst track but even then it is a good song (just cringe lol) but it all works in context I guess.

As a whole, it is a near-perfect pop album with a near perfect run of singles.

Things I would change:

- Add Step To Me to all standard releases across the world. I would place it right after Denying:

1. Spice Up Your Life
2. Stop
3. Too Much
4. Saturday Night Divas
5. Never Give Up On The Good Times
6. Move Over
7. Do It
8. Denying
9. Step To Me
10. Viva Forever
11. Lady Is A Vamp

- Release Never Give Up On The Good Times with a tour montage video later in the Summer of 1998, like in September. With a celebratory single mix and two of the other girls singing Geri's lines, it would be an amazing bridge between Viva Forever and Goodbye, I think, and keep the Spice alive post-Geri and provide us with a new Spice classic!

- Release a Delux edition in late Novemver/December 1998 with Goodbye on it and a couple of other tracks and remixes. Maybe a Christmas edition would have been appropriate for the time, but also including a single version of NGOTGT, My Strongest Suit and maybe a couple of unreleased tracks? It would also very much enhance Spiceworld's sales quite a lot if it was released around Christmas... We could now be looking at 2million sales just in the UK...

YES YES YES YESSSSSSSSSS EVERYTHING wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

Except for the bit about Do it rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by Spiceboy: 21st April 2020, 01:29 PM

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 21st April 2020, 01:27 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Quite simply THE best girlband album of all time, and definitely one the THE best pop albums of all time. I always feel a bit ripped off whenever I see best album lists and of course Spice Girls are simply not credible enough to be featured on them because I genuinely think that this album is worthy of being in all the lists!!! It's perfectly crafted from start to finish and it has so many different musical styled infused in it. While it got good reviews on release it deserved to get smash reviews it is incredible, the opener and the closure to the albums are so impactful they just begin and end the journey perfectly!

Viva Forever is of course the stand out track and my favourite song of all time, Saturday night divas is my favourite non-single track (closely followed by Do it).

1. Viva forever
2. Stop
3. Too much
4. Spice up your life
5. Saturday night divas
6. Do it
7. Never give up on the good times
8. The lady is a vamp
9. Move over
10. Denying

I mean there's not much point rating as every track is an 11/10 for me but I would probably rank them like that although my ranking does change depending on my moods... (Spice up your life and Too much interchange alot as do TLIAV and Move over) but my top 2 are always the same, they are my 2 top Spice Girls songs as a group or solo.

I think the era should have been stretched out more, Do it and Never give up on the good times would have be a great double a-side or possibly Never give up alongside Goodbye or my strongest suit or a new song at Christmas time with the album being re-released with a few bonus tracks... stick Step to me on there at the point too boost it sales. I mean it's still easily the second best selling girl group album, however I feel like it's sales are not justified they deserve to be higher it's a 2million selling album at the very least!

This post has been edited by Spiceboy: 21st April 2020, 01:32 PM

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 21st April 2020, 01:43 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Ya that path would have been great and sakes woukd have soared. The deluxe re release was something they didnt do back then but if they had their first 2 albums would be far higher sales.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 21st April 2020, 01:48 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Just imagine if the individual covers that the likes of One Direction, JLS, The Saturdays, Steps did were a thing back then too... Wow it's sales would have been huge!!

+Quote this post
Scene
post 21st April 2020, 01:49 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Baby Reindeer
User: 5,567

This was the ultimate album for me when I was younger. wub.gif I always preferred it to their debut and echoing on what someone else said earlier, the album artwork is definitely their best. It's so vibrant wub.gif

1. Too Much
2. Viva Forever
3. Stop
4. Saturday Night Divas
5. Never Give Up On the Good Times
6. Do It
7. Spice Up Your Life
8. Move Over
9. Lady Is A Vamp
10. Denying

+Quote this post
Spice Girls Net
post 21st April 2020, 06:31 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 64,815

My happiest memories of any Spice Girls release was 'Spiceworld'. I remember there being so much around me during that time, compared to the first record, that's because of the amount of merchandise and sponsorship out there and the release of the movie.

I don't think the album was better than 'Spice', they're pretty much on a par with one another. I absolutely love 10 track albums. I do get bored of albums which have 16-18 tracks on them.

I don't think the singles release could have been any perfect. SUYL, Too Much, Stop and Viva Forever. All brilliant choices. It was a shame NGUOTGT wasn't released but not many pop groups at the time could boast having amazing singles and equally brilliant album tracks. 'Spiceworld' had no filler. 'Do It' has always been a favourite. I don't understand why some people don't like it.

My Ranking

1. Spice Up Your Life
2. Too Much
3. Viva Forever
4. Never Give Up On The Good Times
5. Stop
6. Do It
7. Saturday Night Divas
8. The Lady Is A Vamp
9. Denying
10. Move Over

This post has been edited by Spice Girls Net: 21st April 2020, 06:32 PM

+Quote this post
vibe
post 21st April 2020, 06:49 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

Amazing follow up!! Again impossible to rank.

I marginally prefer spice tho.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 21st April 2020, 08:43 PM
Post #18
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

My Spiceworld Ranking =

01. Viva Forever = 10/10
02. Stop = 10/10
03. Spice Up Your Life = 10/10
04. Too Much = 10/10
05. Never Give Up on The Good Times = 10/10
06. Denying = 10/10
07. Move Over = 9/10
08. Saturday Night Divas = 9/10
09. Do It = 8/10
10. Step to Me = 8/10
11. The Lady Is A Vamp = 7/10

9.181 (Rating)

This post has been edited by SamJudd: 21st April 2020, 08:43 PM

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 21st April 2020, 09:30 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(Spiceboy @ Apr 21 2020, 02:48 PM) *
Just imagine if the individual covers that the likes of One Direction, JLS, The Saturdays, Steps did were a thing back then too... Wow it's sales would have been huge!!

Yes, this would have brought in so many extra sales, maybe an anniversary release some day could follow that format dance.gif

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 21st April 2020, 10:51 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Feel_The_Fever @ Apr 21 2020, 10:30 PM) *
Yes, this would have brought in so many extra sales, maybe an anniversary release some day could follow that format dance.gif

I can just see one letter of S P I C E with the girl in it as a slip case cover so S is Scary just the S cut from the original album cover maybe with Scary edition written underneath. P is Geri slipcase, I is Emma slipcase C is Victoria slipcase and E is Melanie C slipcase

If they really wanted to push sales back then they could have included 5 extra songs 1 song on each edition to create the extra incentive. wub.gif

+Quote this post

15 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 07:55 PM