BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Cover Version Singles by Girls Aloud, 5 hits were cover versions
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Best Cover Version Single
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 33
Guests cannot vote 
pippa
post Jul 27 2018, 01:18 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031
From listening to the Greatest Hits recently, it triggered my mind to the fact 5 of their top 10 hits were cover versions with 2 of them achieving Number 1 status.
Which of the 5 is the best one for you?
Please vote and share some comments.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Jul 27 2018, 01:57 PM
Post #2
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217
Definitely Jump!

+Quote this post
pippa
post Jul 27 2018, 03:04 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
I Think We're Alone Now and Jump are the best of these 5 and the best by a country mile.
Ill Stand By You is enjoyable.
See The Day i would regard average at best.
Walk This Way is terrible and the worst single they ever released.
I Think We're Alone Now picked up my vote.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Jul 28 2018, 02:27 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845
Definitely I think we're alone now.

+Quote this post
Jade
post Jul 28 2018, 01:15 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
I went for 'Jump' which I find to be very infectious and fun. Nadine kills it on vocals too! 'See The Day' is 2nd though, very underrated. Boo at Cheryl disowning it!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Jul 28 2018, 06:03 PM
Post #6
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530
1. Jump
2. I'll Stand By You
3. I Think We're Alone Now
4. Walk This Way
5. See the Day

Considering I was between 6 and 10 when these came out, I actually knew none of them in their original forms so they've never felt much like covers to me. Nevertheless, the top two are my favourites for sure, ITWAN and Walk This Way are both heaps of fun too. See the Day is a clear last but it's a lovely enough song.

+Quote this post
pippa
post Jul 30 2018, 01:35 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Jump truly has jumped ahead of the others and looks safe to say is the winner here.

+Quote this post
Theonix
post Jul 30 2018, 02:13 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BUY Phoenix on Amazon / STREAM Phoenix on Spotify
User: 8,661
I actually don't know for this one because they're all varying shades of cheese. I voted for "I'll Stand by You" because it stands out as one of their (only) heartfelt singles.

My ranking:

1. I'll Stand by You
2. Jump
3. I Think We're Alone Now
4. Walk This Way

5. See the Day (their worst ever single)

+Quote this post
pippa
post Aug 1 2018, 01:53 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
I do think they done a good version of I'll Stand by You.

+Quote this post
Lukuzz
post Aug 1 2018, 02:07 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Paradise With Ice Cream Skies♥
User: 1,209
I’d go :
1. I Think Were Alone Now
2. I’ll Stand By You
3. Jump
4. Walk This Way
5. See The Day

+Quote this post
pippa
post Aug 1 2018, 03:01 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
See The Day by large, appears very unpopular among fans on this forum.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Aug 1 2018, 10:50 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845
I prefer see the day to walk this way but both are in the weaker category of their singles.

+Quote this post
pippa
post Aug 2 2018, 01:47 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Walk This Way i don't like at all, it was a terrible cover version.
It is odd they have so many cover version singles when they have had so many original album tracks that would have served as great singles.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Aug 2 2018, 05:23 PM
Post #14
Group icon
I suppose the cover versions were a sign of the times, so it seemed less odd back then, but it was definitely a shame that they amassed as many as five covers!

I'd say that Jump & I'll Stand By You are their most acceptable covers. For starters they both proved to be big hit singles, so in that sense they were certainly worthwhile. I also feel like they became embraced as being honorary Girls Aloud songs - particularly because they were regularly included in their tour set lists and always seemed to get great reactions from the audiences. Other good reasons: Jump had the Love Actually movie tie-in, and also set the tone for portraying the group as having a "more fun" sound / less moody image. I'll Stand By You was their first conventional ballad (Life Got Cold was a bit edgy as far as ballads go, not as accessible as ISBY proved to be), and of course it had the tag of being their first charity single. As songs choices go, both just seemed to make sense and were worthy additions to their discography.

Ideally they'd have stopped with the covers after those two.

See the Day was clearly their label's attempt at trying to play it safe - no doubt they were after another ISBY moment. It's frustrating that they didn't go with Whole Lotta History instead, given that they decided to release it as the next single anyway! Two ballad singles in a row didn't prove to be a good choice in the end, it should have just been one and it should have been their original song. The Chemistry era should have closed with an uptempo song as the fourth single.

Recording a cover for The Sound of Girls Aloud was lazy, as was deciding to release it as a single. Unlike Jump, I Think We're Alone Now really didn't end up being embraced as classic Girls Aloud. Tiffany's version was so big and quite iconic, it's just too associated with her. Girls Aloud's version has an air of being unnecessary.

Following up I Think We're Alone Now with Walk This Way resulted in Girls Aloud releasing two cover singles in a row, which wasn't a situation that should have arisen. At this point in their career, 5 out of 15 singles were cover versions! A third of their output. Imagine bringing the two biggest girl groups of the era together for a collaboration and not coming up with an incredible original song for them to make it "a moment"! Surely Xenomania would have been up for the challenge? Walk This Way was another uninspired choice. It getting to #1 was par for the course for a Comic Relief single, but it falling away so quickly was certainly a strong sign that its laziness prevented the possibility of it being an enduring hit.

+Quote this post
pippa
post Aug 2 2018, 06:20 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Do you think any original Girls Aloud songs well be covered by other artists in time to come?

+Quote this post
Hide&Seek
post Aug 2 2018, 07:54 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 3,500
For me, they're all terrible versions ,but I can just about tolerate Jump so it gets my vote. The Pointer Sisters have a huge back catalogue, it would have been better if GA had gone for something less obvious. When Steps did a cover of Bananarama's lesser known track (Last Thing On My Mind), I was happy , but when they did Kylie's Better The Devil You Know, I just shake my head. So many other gems to choose from.

GA doing a Tiffany song (yeah i know she's not the original but it's the version we all think of), I'd rather they went for one of her others. I would've liked a Tiff cover, just not this one. It's lazy karaoke.

I'll Stand By You - I like the original. GA sound lifeless and limp in comparison.

See The Day - Dee C Lee gives such a wow vocal. It's one of those songs that gives goosebumps. GA = one of the weakest covers I've ever heard.

Walk This Way - I didn't like the original and don't like this. It's just sounds like two groups yelling at each other !

+Quote this post
inyourroom
post Aug 3 2018, 11:56 AM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 21,272
I think it's worth remembering that some of these weren't really choices, they just kind of happened. They weren't sitting around when suddenly one of them went, "hey, let's do a Pointer Sisters cover!", it was offered to them to do that particular song for the movie, and it turned out well. Charity singles are usually covers, and Walk This Way wasn't even a Xenomania production, which seems to suggest that they were asked to join an already ongoing project for a good cause.

+Quote this post
pippa
post Aug 3 2018, 12:46 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Walk This Way was for a good cause and for Comic Relief popular artists of the time were generally selected so everything fitted.
As a song, its a bad cover but it helped add another number 1 to their credentials nonetheless.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Aug 3 2018, 06:48 PM
Post #19
Group icon
QUOTE(inyourroom @ Aug 3 2018, 12:56 PM) *
I think it's worth remembering that some of these weren't really choices, they just kind of happened. They weren't sitting around when suddenly one of them went, "hey, let's do a Pointer Sisters cover!", it was offered to them to do that particular song for the movie, and it turned out well.

True about Jump. I'd say the others were definitely label choices though, and imo they were mostly uninspired picks!

QUOTE(inyourroom @ Aug 3 2018, 12:56 PM) *
Charity singles are usually covers, and Walk This Way wasn't even a Xenomania production, which seems to suggest that they were asked to join an already ongoing project for a good cause.

There were another couple of other options on the table, You Got the Love by The Source and Girls & Boys by Blur, so at some point Walk This Way wasn't set in stone. If they had to do a cover, I wished they'd done You Got the Love - would have been more of an opportunity for the groups to show off their vocals, and they'd have got in there before Florence + the Machine!

I wish at that developmental stage they could have organised an original song. McFly's from 2 years earlier was an original, The Wanted went on to do an original, so it wasn't impossible cry.gif Oh well!

+Quote this post
pippa
post Aug 3 2018, 07:00 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
You Got the Love would have been a much stronger choice than Walk This Way.
It, like you said, was also a better song to showcase the vocals from both groups.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:58 AM