BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> RW Album. Swings Both Ways (2013), 18th November - Olly Murs, Lily Allen & Michael Bublé all appear
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
ThePensmith
post Sep 11 2013, 11:18 PM
Post #1
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208

Robbie Williams is back and this time he's returned with a bunch of famous friends.Swings Both Ways is the tenth studio album from the former Take That-er and the follow-up to his well-received 2001 swing album, Swing When You're Winning - also his best selling album ever. The new album sees Robbie reunited with Guy Chambers, with whom he wrote six new songs and who produced the album.

Robbie said today: 'First of all, I wanted to do a Swing album because I wanted to do a Swing album. I always knew I’d do another and I think now is the perfect time to do it. I’m enjoying showbiz and I’m enjoying my life and my understanding of where I am now is that there needs to be an event every time I bring out a record. The album this time is a definite ode and a loving glance towards a period on the planet that I was never invited to ‘coz I wasn’t there….I wanted to be, which I feel still very strongly linked to.'

He continued: 'Going in I planned it to be very similar to the last one, and then I realised – that’s actually not what I wanted. It’s different – it’s not all covers. I had some songs that I wanted the world to hear and check out and maybe become part of the fabric of their lives, if I’m lucky enough, that I’ve had a hand in writing. So it’s very, very similar to the last one, and very different – and hopefully I’m off to romance the world!'

Along with the new material is a selection of classic songs covered as duets with some big names. Olly Murs duets on 'I Wan'ana Be Like You', while Kelly Clarkson appears on 'Little Green Apples' and Lily Allen joins Robbie for 'Dream a Little Dream'. Talking about her involvement on the new album, Lily Allen said: ' 'Dream a Little Dream' is one of my favourite songs of all time so I didn’t hesitate when Robbie asked me if I’d like to duet with him on it. I was a bit nervous when we recorded it, especially when I asked him what he wanted me to do and he said something like ‘just be you’. But I’m really happy with it and think we do justice to a classic song.'

Brand new tracks include 'Soda Pop', which features Michael Bublé, and 'Swings Both Ways', written and performed with Rufus Wainwright. Of the title track which he co-wrote and performs on, Rufus Wainwright says: 'Working with Robbie is a dream come true. I’m once again the envy of both sexes. Robbie is the real deal, full package, a total mensch and if I could come up with any more paired descriptive sayings I would use them as well.'

Olly Murs, who has just toured with Robbie, says: 'I absolutely loved working with Rob on this album. After touring Europe with him this year it seemed only right that we record something together, and 'I Wan’na Be Like You' is such a classic sing-a-long tune. It’s always brilliant when you get to work with your mates!'

1. 'Shine My Shoes' (new song)
2. 'Go Gentle' (new song)
3. 'I Wanna Be Like You' ft. Olly Murs
4. 'Swing Supreme'
5. 'Swings Both Ways' ft. Rufus Wainwright
6. 'Dream A Little Dream' ft. Lily Allen
7. 'Soda Pop' ft. Michael Bublé (new song)
8. 'Snowblind' (new song)
9. 'Puttin' On The Ritz'
10. 'Little Green Apples' ft. Kelly Clarkson
11. 'Minnie The Moocher'
12. 'If I Only Had A Brain'
13. 'No One Likes A Fat Pop Star' (new song)

So excited for this and particularly to hear the Olly and Lily collaborations!

This post has been edited by ThePensmith: Sep 11 2013, 11:36 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Sydney
post Sep 12 2013, 05:10 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,680
Wow !!

Lily Allen duets with Robbie Williams on his new album 'Swings Both Ways'

The pair sing the classic 'Dream A Little Dream', which has previously been performed by the likes of Ella Fitzgerald, The Mamas & The Papas, Doris Day, The Courteeners and Chapel Club. Speaking about the cover, Allen commented: "'Dream A Little Dream' is one of my favourite songs of all time so I didn't hesitate when Robbie asked me if I'd like to duet with him on it. I was a bit nervous when we recorded it, especially when I asked him what he wanted me to do and he said something like 'just be you'. But I'm really happy with it and think we do justice to a classic song."

Other artists to feature on the album, which is released on November 18, include Rufus Wainwright, Kelly Clarkson, Olly Murs and Michael Buble. The record sees Williams covering jazz standards such as 'Minnie The Moocher', 'Puttin' On The Ritz' and 'I Wan'na Be Like You', the latter with Murs.

The album also features six new songs, co-written with Williams' longtime writing partner Guy Chambers. One of the new tracks is entitled 'No One Likes A Fat Pop Star' and Williams duets with Wainwright on the album's brand new title track. The LP follows Williams' first swing themed album, 2001's 'Swing When You're Winning'. Of the new LP Williams says: "I always knew I'd do another and I think now is the perfect time to do it. I'm enjoying showbiz and I'm enjoying my life and my understanding of where I am now is that there needs to be an event every time I bring out a record. The album this time is a definite ode and a loving glance towards a period on the planet that I was never invited to 'cos I wasn't there… I wanted to be, which I feel still very strongly linked to."

The 'Swings Both Ways' tracklisting is:

'Shine My Shoes'
'Go Gentle'
'I Wan'na Be Like You' featuring Olly Murs
'Swing Supreme'
'Swings Both Ways' featuring Rufus Wainwright
'Dream A Little Dream' featuring Lily Allen
'Soda Pop' featuring Michael Buble
'Snowblind'
'Puttin' On The Ritz'
'Little Green Apples' featuring Kelly Clarkson
'Minnie The Moocher'
'If I Only Had A Brain'
'No One Likes A Fat Pop Star'

nme.com

+Quote this post
Sydney
post Sep 12 2013, 05:31 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
I have already downloaded Shine My Shoes on iTunes, I love it

cheer.gif

+Quote this post
PaPa Ri
post Sep 12 2013, 08:06 AM
Post #4
Group icon
JanWasRobbed
User: 8,335
YES! Lily & Robbie again!!! and it's such a great song. I loved her on Keep On and Bongo Bong, I think they have a great chemistry.

also KELLY CLARKSON wub.gif

+Quote this post
Atonement
post Sep 12 2013, 08:28 AM
Post #5
Group icon
I just had to see your face to feel alive
User: 10,676
Woah, a Rufus Wainwright duet?!? Appropriately titled 'Swings Both Ways' I see tongue.gif

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post Sep 12 2013, 10:14 AM
Post #6
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116
Would love if Swing Supreme was a swing version of Supreme, it would suit the sound quite well I reckon.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post Sep 12 2013, 10:15 AM
Post #7
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804
Ooh a Robbie & Kelly duet ohmy.gif Not something I ever saw coming whether it was jazz, swing or whatever genre.

+Quote this post
jay727
post Sep 12 2013, 05:27 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 12,273
Great title! One thing I've always loved about Robbie is his imaginative album titles!

Is there a lead single to this?

It'll be interesting if this goes up against Gary's new solo album

+Quote this post
vibe
post Sep 12 2013, 06:55 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
I love this I hope he does some shows to promote it

+Quote this post
7heDreamer
post Sep 13 2013, 06:15 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 9,939
QUOTE(Marina XCX @ Sep 12 2013, 08:06 AM) *
YES! Lily & Robbie again!!! and it's such a great song. I loved her on Keep On and Bongo Bong, I think they have a great chemistry.

also KELLY CLARKSON wub.gif

THAT

+Quote this post
Jupiter9
post Sep 13 2013, 10:30 PM
Post #11
Group icon
The Last of the Rock Stars
User: 368

I quite like this one cheer.gif

+Quote this post
Jupiter9
post Sep 13 2013, 10:53 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Official site says the first single will be Go Gentle. Released on 4th Nov.

+Quote this post
Sydney
post Sep 13 2013, 11:02 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
I hope this is the song that Robbie & Kelly Clarkson are doing , I love that song, the version in this video below is by Glen Campbell & Bobbie Gentry & Robbie is a big fan of Glen, how fabulous if it is the same track

+Quote this post
Sydney
post Sep 14 2013, 09:31 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Single review: Robbie Williams – Shine My Shoes

Complete with a swinging beat, dampened piano and a big brass band, Shine My Shoes shows that Robbie Williams (and writing partner Guy Chambers) are more than capable of writing fun and exciting songs that stand alongside the abundance of age old swing classics.

The first single from his newly announced second swing album Swings Both Ways (full story here), Robbie’s Shine My Shoes is an explosive introduction to his highly anticipated followup venture into the genre.

Opening with rim-shots, finger-snaps and a nicely dampened piano, Robbie’s clean and crisp vocals sit nicely over the minimal verse instrumentation.

Drawing the verses to a close the excellently orchestrated brass band starts to build and explodes into action for the chorus. The chorus has the audience participation factor too, with plenty of obviously placed and catchily simple “hey hey hey’s” for people to join in with. It would fit nicely alongside some of his older hits in a live setting and would no doubt have the audience singing along.

Shine My Shoes is a strong lead single for Swings Both Ways. It is very well produced and having brilliant instrumentation, and boasting some fun hooks and dripping with the trademark confident Robbie Williams swagger.

You can purchase Shine My Shoes (as well as preorder the full album) from iTunes, and be sure to keep up to date on all the latest Robbie Williams news over on his official website.

joshgillblog.com

+Quote this post
Sparkle
post Sep 15 2013, 03:36 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 518
unsure.gif I'm hoping a new Robbie swing album will grow on me.

He looks like he's having fun and nice to be able to do something completely different but
I prefer Robbie singing pop/rock anything but a whole album of swing sad.gif

+Quote this post
Sydney
post Sep 15 2013, 05:18 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Sparkle @ Sep 15 2013, 03:36 PM) *
unsure.gif I'm hoping a new Robbie swing album will grow on me.

He looks like he's having fun and nice to be able to do something completely different but
I prefer Robbie singing pop/rock anything but a whole album of swing sad.gif

I doubt it's what you call 'real swing' though , I like Robbie doing that kind of stuff & I'm really liking Shine My Shoes

& there are rumours of a tv show but who knows , knowing Robbie I doubt it will be ' An Audience With '

This post has been edited by Sydney: Sep 15 2013, 05:23 PM

+Quote this post
Jupiter9
post Sep 15 2013, 07:31 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Shine my Shoes isn't very 'swing', is it? unsure.gif

I like it though wub.gif

+Quote this post
Sparkle
post Sep 15 2013, 08:35 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 518
I see strings happy.gif

+Quote this post
Sydney
post Sep 15 2013, 09:38 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Sparkle @ Sep 15 2013, 08:35 PM) *
I see strings happy.gif

Strings unsure.gif , where ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Jupiter9
post Sep 17 2013, 08:55 PM
Post #20
Group icon

happy.gif

+Quote this post

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:30 AM