BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated, 4th album // I WANNA CUT TO THE FEELING
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
-0-0
post 10th May 2019, 02:35 PM
Post #41
Group icon
🙄
User: 10,643

Will this album even make top 40?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Monzo
post 11th May 2019, 07:55 AM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 349

Too Much was played on the radio in an hour of new releases last night. Does this mean it is her new single, at least a radio single?

I listened to it for the first time on the radio and I didn't know who the artist was, but I thought it was pretty boring. I was shocked when the DJ said after the end of the song it was Carly Rae Jepsen.

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post 11th May 2019, 02:53 PM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031

Too much is better than Julien.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 11th May 2019, 04:10 PM
Post #44
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

QUOTE(Wall @ May 10 2019, 03:35 PM) *
Will this album even make top 40?

I don't expect it to, I mean her last album got to #21 with 4,150 sales, despite a #3 hit single & massive acclaim (although perhaps the very early release in Japan didn't help matters here).

She'd need 2k+ to get Dedicated into the Top 40.

Musically she's ticking all the boxes for me with what she's released so far, it's a shame she's being slept on but it is what it is.

+Quote this post
post 11th May 2019, 04:52 PM
Post #45
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

I think it could make the top 40! Especially given the last two singles had radio 1 awareness.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 11th May 2019, 05:14 PM
Post #46
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

She's also developed a pretty sizeable cult following since the last album's release, I expect that could help with the debut position.

I hadn't really thought about its chart performance, but either way it's obviously not really gonna do much. I'm just glad to finally have it.

I mean, if Marina can get a top 5 album in similar circumstances I can't see why Carly wouldn't at least make the top 40.

This post has been edited by Tawdry Hepburn: 11th May 2019, 05:15 PM

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post 11th May 2019, 08:22 PM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I think the album will go T40 as sales are low but it will drop out after a week.

+Quote this post
Brightest Blue
post 11th May 2019, 08:23 PM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 23,155

She’s probably coming for a 24-OUT album run with 8k total sales

+Quote this post
Brer
post 15th May 2019, 01:44 AM
Post #49
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

I thought 'Julien' was another really good track from her (not quite as brilliant as 'Now That I Found You' though) but this new one does nothing for me at all. Confused by the takes in this thread xx

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 16th May 2019, 12:44 AM
Post #50
Group icon

Some great reviews so far! Can't wait to hear it tomorrow wub.gif

Newsday - 4/4

https://www.newsday.com/entertainment/music...view-1.31111144

'Dedicated' review: Carly Rae Jepsen's stunning album shows she's an artistic daredevil

BOTTOM LINE: No “Maybe” about it, Jepsen has found her groove

Carly Rae Jepsen clearly doesn’t have any trouble with follow-ups.

She followed her omnipresent smash single “Call Me Maybe” with one of the most critically adored albums of the decade, 2015’s “Emotion,” which combined raw, personal lyrics with sleek, ‘80s-styled synthpop even better than Taylor Swift did. So what does Jepsen do next? She delivers another stunning album – this time, less about “Boy Problems” and more about healing from heartbreak enough to fall in love again.

“Dedicated” (Schoolboy/Interscope) shows Jepsen is an artistic daredevil. Sure, there’s her funky reworking of “He Needs Me” (the Olive Oyl song from the “Popeye” movie) for “Everything He Needs,” which she co-wrote with Merrick native CJ Baran, who also worked on “Emotion.”

“Want You in My Room,” which Jepsen co-wrote with Jack Antonoff, sounds like she is going to bust out some Siouxsie & The Banshees as she declares, “I’m like a lighthouse, I’m a reminder of where ya going.” But then, she is seemingly overwhelmed with the giddiness of new love and is surrounded by weird, synthesized voices and floating sax solos. The ska-tinged opening of “I’ll Be Your Girl” is another treat. And even the irresistible pop of “Now That I Found You,” currently inescapable as part of the new Target ad campaign, carries her theme forward.

Jepsen occupies an interesting corner of the pop landscape. She brings a risk-taking, dramatic element to crowd-pleasing dance numbers like “Too Much,” maybe the best on an album with plenty of standouts, and last year’s hit “Party for One,” which appears on the deluxe edition of “Dedicated,” to create a sensibility that is distinctively hers.

Her mix of earnestness and vulnerability makes the closing dance anthem “Real Love” work, creating a more radio-friendly cousin to Robyn’s powerful “Honey” from last year. And just like “Honey,” Jepsen’s “Dedicated” is destined for numerous best-of lists this year

Irish Times - 4/5

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/ca...heart-1.3891974

Carly Rae Jepsen: Dedicated review – Bruised affairs with a killer pop heart

It’s been four years since Carly Rae Jepsen released the perfect Emotion. Once fans accept that Dedicated isn’t Emotion 2.0, they’ll fall head over heels for the Canadian pop queen as if it’s the first time.

This new era of Jeppo was brought in by the sublime Party for One. On this jumpy little banger, she quits worrying about unrequited love to enjoy her own company instead. A champion of self-love – the repetition of “back on my beat” diffuses the veil of confusion – she’s still a sucker for heart-wrenching love. The wonky-tonk bounce of Everything He Needs backs that sentiment up.

On the breathless Too Much, she explores every avenue of excess. Loving too much, partying too much; you name it, she feels it.

Right Words Wrong Time, her most illustrative song to date, is a weary reminder that love doesn’t always conquer all. Despite her bruised affairs of the heart, Jepsen forever swirls in a glittering cloud of feelgood 1980s synths.

Lifting our sorrows while addressing her own, Jepsen grants us salvation through pop. Committed? No. Dedicated.

CLASH - 8/10

https://www.clashmusic.com/reviews/carly-ra...epsen-dedicated

Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated
A joyride of anthemic melodies and fist-pumping bangers…

Nowadays it’s hard to find a well-rounded pop album that isn’t overcrowded with feigned features and mundane production – fortunately for Carly Rae Jepsen, she’s pro at doing the exact opposite.

Following the release of her 2015 album ‘E•MO•TION’ she pretty much solidified herself as a pop princess, and on ‘Dedicated’ she continues this winning streak, proving she’s no fluke.

Opener ‘Julien’ shows Carly at her strongest. Backed by wobbly synths and a glistening chorus, she effortlessly encapsulates the vision of riding off into the sunset. This is followed up by ‘No Drug Like Me’ — held together by a funky bassline and sensual tone — and ‘Now That I Found You,’ both of which find comfort in conventional dance-pop. Listeners might ask themselves if she’s capable of making an average song, and the answer is probably no.

The problem with artists like Carly – releasing such eminent albums – is the pressure to live up to previous work, and there are moments here where you start to compare tracks against their peers. Although at times they may not appear as fresh and exciting as past material, by no means are they tiresome. Jepson still manages to maintain her energy levels throughout, transmitting waves of groove and emotion like on the lustful ‘Feels Right’, where she once again showcases her knack for crafting unapologetic love songs.
In a confusing, complicated world, pop fans look to Carly Rae Jepsen as a form of escape.

With tracks like ‘Real Love’ and ‘The Sound’ she takes control of her own needs, owning her vulnerability, and grabbing your senses by the fist in the process. However, these rare moments of vulnerability are overshadowed by her up-beat and audacious attitude on tracks like ‘Happy Not Knowing’ and ‘I’ll Be Your Girl’ – which dominates from start to finish.

Ending the album with the empowering and rebellious ‘Party For One’, it’s a moment of realisation for Jepsen — she’s perfectly capable of riding solo, something that was maybe daunting in the past. ’Dedicated’ is a joyride of anthemic melodies and fist-pumping bangers that see Jepsen at the top of her game. Revolving in a shimmering cloud of ‘80s synth, bouncy bass and progressive percussion, she has certified herself as a serious contender in the pop arena.

Slant Magazine - 3.5/5

https://www.slantmagazine.com/music/review-...ration-of-love/

Review: Carly Rae Jepsen’s Dedicated Is a Single-Minded Declaration of Love

The album doubles down on the singer’s devotion to all things love and ‘80s pop-rock.

In a world where the only certainty is uncertainty, music can provide reliable solace and stability. A vital component of callout research—the process Top 40 radio stations use to test the favorability of songs—is “familiarity.” A song that’s recognizable is more likely to receive a high score from listeners, but it also perpetuates a feedback loop where artists are de-incentivized from substantively tinkering with their established sounds.

Carly Rae Jepsen, of course, isn’t your typical radio star. Aside from her breakthrough hit “Call Me Maybe,” her success has been largely fomented by gushing critical praise and word of mouth. But success in the age of Spotify and social media is, like radio, predicated on giving people what they want, when they want it. And Jepsen’s fourth album, Dedicated, is a carefully calibrated attempt at brand extension, reprising the effervescent pop of her last two albums while at the same time acknowledging that the 33-year-old is now a full-grown woman.

For the most part, Jepsen succeeds at threading that needle. The album’s lead single, “Party for One,” initially felt like a retread, its opening strains nodding to “Call Me Maybe” and its whirling strings and bouncy keyboards acting as if not a day has gone by since her last album, 2015’s Emotion. As the closing track of Dedicated, however, the song clicks perfectly into place, a declaration of independence that bookends an album’s worth of frustrated desire: “I’m not over this, but I’m trying,” Jepsen humbly proclaims.

“This” being the various love affairs—consummated or otherwise—that comprise the album’s loose narrative. Dedicated opens with “Julien,” a recollection of a fleeting romance—“I’m forever haunted by our time,” Jepsen sings wistfully—followed by over a dozen songs that luxuriate in love or fret over the loss of it. She ponders its meaning on the euphoric “Real Love,” her voice filled with knowing abandon (“I go everyday without it/All I want is real, real love…I don’t know a thing about it/All I want is real, real love”), and shakes off an affirmation that’s too little to late on “Right Words Wrong Time,” the album’s sole ballad.

Dedicated is, well, dedicated to its theme, revisiting topics Jepsen studiously explored on Emotion. One notable development is the singer’s newly and boldly expressed sexuality. “I wanna do bad things to you,” she declares on “Want You in My Room,” before coyly asking, “Baby, don’t you want me to?” She similarly plays the coquette on “I’ll Be Your Girl,” beckoning her object of desire to “come to bed,” and promises “sweat disco all night” on the squelchy “Everything He Needs,” channeling “Physical”-era Olivia Newton-John.

The album also doubles down on its predecessor’s fixation on ‘80s pop-rock tropes. “Want You in My Room” is awash in Vocoder effects, shimmering new-wave guitars, and a grinding bassline straight out of Cameo’s “Candy”—all within less than three minutes, and topped off with sax solo for good measure. The kitschy “Everything He Needs” is the sonic equivalent of a velvet painting, based on a pitched-up vocal sample of Shelley Duvall’s “He Needs Me” from Robert Altman’s Popeye. Producer John Hill lends several tracks a distinct reggae groove, like the simmering “Too Much” and the ska-infused “I’ll Be Your Girl,” while “For Sure” dizzyingly pairs tribal rhythms with swirling synths and chants.

These tweaks to Jepsen’s formula feel less significant when placed alongside more boilerplate fare like the single “No Drug Like Me” and the cloying “Feels Right,” both of which could be leftovers from Emotion. But Jepsen deserves credit for committing to a pure pop sound when it might be shrewder to venture into more hip-hop-influenced terrain. There’s something to be said for the virtues of familiarity—even if it means you won’t get played on Top 40 radio.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 16th May 2019, 11:19 PM
Post #51
Group icon

It's out! cheer.gif

+Quote this post
post 16th May 2019, 11:41 PM
Post #52
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Want You in my room is glorious. Will listen to the rest tomorrow .

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 17th May 2019, 02:28 AM
Post #53
Group icon

Too Much music video coming at 4pm (GMT)!

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 17th May 2019, 07:57 AM
Post #54
Group icon
Break the tension

Gave it a skim over on the tube this morning (i.e. about half of each song), the 80s synthpop influence is really strong here!

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post 17th May 2019, 09:30 AM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Sounds a pretty good album, stronger than I expected.

+Quote this post
post 17th May 2019, 10:15 AM
Post #56
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(365 @ May 17 2019, 12:41 AM) *
Want You in my room is glorious. Will listen to the rest tomorrow .

OBSESSED. One of her best songs. Rest of album is great too.

+Quote this post
Cremey
post 17th May 2019, 10:25 AM
Post #57
Group icon
on a bench in coney island
User: 4,089

Want You in My Room is incredible, agree it’s one of her best!
Another great album from her, she’s such a star.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 17th May 2019, 09:49 PM
Post #58
Group icon
Break the tension

I think on initial listening, 'Want You In My Room' is my pick too.

Lyrically coquettish, but sonically vivacious!

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 19th May 2019, 08:37 PM
Post #59
Group icon

Pop excellence!

Top 3:

Real Love
Too Much
Want You in My Room

Need a bit more time to be able to rank the whole thing, but there isn't a single song I dislike. wub.gif

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post 19th May 2019, 09:12 PM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471

This is a wonderful album

She just understands how to make great pop music

+Quote this post