BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> COMPLETE RESULTS: The Saturdays Singles Rate, Buzzjack's heart has got issues.
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
LouisL
post 21st February 2020, 04:02 PM
Post #41
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 42,419

No real big losses yet, I'd like to have seen Missing You top 10 over Issues but a strong top 10
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
myxxd
post 21st February 2020, 04:18 PM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 7,097

What are you waiting for is one of their worst. 30 days is the worst one next is Gentleman and these are some from their last singles I remember. I wonder who chose their singles. Those were the times that they are getting good songs anymore maybe producers are tired of them already it's been too long and the group is not producing more money. The last one was Not Giving Up. They gave up when they already had their #1 single. Chasing Lights should have been a single. Up the single mix is the best one

This post has been edited by myxxd: 21st February 2020, 04:22 PM

+Quote this post
kye
post 21st February 2020, 04:27 PM
Post #43
Group icon
• aesthetic party •
User: 2,169

that top 10 is literally iconic

+Quote this post
-0-0
post 21st February 2020, 06:00 PM
Post #44
Group icon
🙄
User: 10,643

My hearts take over <3

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 21st February 2020, 06:13 PM
Post #45
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

Fantastic top 10, definitely their best, 'Higher' has to WIN. As for the rest of the results, no surprises so far =

Gentleman: This was an awful choice, especially following a chart topping smash 'WAU', & to be honest I do think this pretty much killed their momentum, despite 'DL' doing well after this flop, but even that didn't quite gain the support their previous hits had, and felt like they were on borrowed time. Even by 2013 this felt dated. In my opinion 'Not Giving Up' should have been released instead of this & maybe that could have kept their momentum going for a bit longer.

What Are You Waiting For: A very limp swan song & definitely one of their worst after 'Gentleman'. Even though '808' would have been a far better choice, I doubt that would have made any difference as by this point they were done.

Forever Is Over: Wow this hasn't aged very well, but still a pretty slick electro pop number that's maybe a bit too American sounding, although don't think this should have been the lead single, I would have swapped this round with 'Ego'.

My Heart Takes Over: This is a stunning track with a dramatic chorus, a definite highlight on the 'OYR' album & very underrated which is a shame as this deserved better & wished we got another single from this album 'Faster' & 'Get Ready Get Set', either could have been great.

Missing You: Again this is another track of theirs that I've never really connected with & always found it a rather odd choice for a lead single, especially with the far better 'Higher' just waiting in the wings.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 21st February 2020, 10:33 PM
Post #46
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Feb 21 2020, 03:19 PM) *
If This Is Love was the girls debut single and it didn't quite get off to the start I don't think the label were expecting. If this was a single now and it performed the same way, I doubt it'd have been on their debut album/just a "buzz single".

I disagree with this take! I remember at the time that a Top 10 debut was considered a great start for them, and that their fans/chart followers weren't expecting anything greater than that really.

Prior to its release, its TV airplay wasn't particularly strong (it reached #29 prior to the single's CD/Digital release), while it was #34 on radio [eventual peaks after the single was released: TV - #13, Radio #32]. This was fairly modest exposure for them, so them managing to achieve a Top 10 debut in the singles chart was good going, honestly. If This Is Love definitely served as a good introduction for The Saturdays, and set them up nicely for them to be a better known name when they released Up. *.*

If This Is Love is also notable in their discography for being one of their longest running singles in the chart. The 29 weeks it spent within the Top 200 makes it their 4th longest runner out of 18 singles. So it wasn't exactly a flash in the pan!

UK Top 200:
#05, 48 weeks - Up
#09, 41 weeks - Ego
#10, 35 weeks - Higher
#08, 29 weeks - If This Is Love
#01, 26 weeks - What About Us
#04, 26 weeks - Issues
#02, 23 weeks - Just Can't Get Enough
#03, 23 weeks - All Fired Up
#08, 19 weeks - Notorious
#02, 18 weeks - Forever Is Over
#22, 18 weeks - Work
#03, 17 weeks - Missing You
#05, 17 weeks - Disco Love
#07, 06 weeks - 30 Days
#14, 06 weeks - Gentleman
#15, 04 weeks - My Heart Takes Over
#19, 04 weeks - Not Giving Up
#38, 02 weeks - What Are You Waiting For?

I would argue that My Heart Takes Over was a more disastrous release for them than Gentleman, what with it being the launch single for a studio album. The outcome being: a chart run of 15-28-46-130-out for MHTO, and a #23 peak for On Your Radar. I think that's a particular point in their career that they were very lucky to survive.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 21st February 2020, 10:44 PM
Post #47
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116

No shocks for me either in terms of what songs have left so far.

I’m feeling as though the winning song of this will be one that’s not a real favourite of mine though.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 21st February 2020, 10:46 PM
Post #48
Group icon
Jord

My Heart Takes Over was so underrated tbh i don’t get how that wasn’t a hit! The album was a bad time to be released considering they were never an albums act but that single deserved an X Factor slot and at the least should’ve went top 10.

+Quote this post
kye
post 21st February 2020, 10:47 PM
Post #49
Group icon
• aesthetic party •

faster should have launched the album - that would have been huge on radio.

+Quote this post
Cameron
post 21st February 2020, 10:51 PM
Post #50
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*
User: 18,061

I miss autotune was me x

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 21st February 2020, 11:45 PM
Post #51
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217

QUOTE(Wall @ Feb 21 2020, 01:53 PM) *
I remember una saying it was her fav and they were so confident on it. It still opened on like 34,000 sales which was great sales for a #14! It went top 10 on iTunes for like 5 mins until gabby

I looked back on their sales thread and Gentleman sold 29,822 to be #14 - still surprisingly strong though! I'd completely forgotten it sold as much as that, I would have guessed far less. I forgot that singles sales in 2013 were as high as they were tbh.

It seems that they picked a tough release week for Gentleman. The following week, Iggy Azalea - Bounce reached #13 but only needed to sell 22,401 to achieve that. 3 weeks later, the #10 sold 26,594 (Selena Gomez - Come and Get It).

It was undeniably a significant dip in peak/sales after What About Us, but I still disagree with the notion that Gentleman "killed them". For me, that would have meant no further success or support for them / the album being cancelled / splitting up... but it was still very much business as usual for The Saturdays when they released Disco Love. It was well supported, well promoted, and the outcome was a #5 peak with strong first week sales. The album release went ahead and it peaked in the Top 10, which was a reasonable outcome, even though the sales weren't impressive. So ultimately I would consider Gentleman as being a bump in the road.

QUOTE(Jordan Lee @ Feb 21 2020, 10:46 PM) *
My Heart Takes Over was so underrated tbh i don’t get how that wasn’t a hit! The album was a bad time to be released considering they were never an albums act but that single deserved an X Factor slot and at the least should’ve went top 10.

Sadly radio was quite cold towards My Heart Takes Over! Prior to its release, its radio chart run was 89-66-51 (#51 being its position on the day the single came out). Went on to peak at #43 a couple of weeks later, but the single was dead in the water by then.

QUOTE(kye @ Feb 21 2020, 10:47 PM) *
faster should have launched the album - that would have been huge on radio.

Completely agree! wub.gif Faster was far more indicative of the overall mood of the On Your Radar album too. My Heart Takes Over was a pretty bizarre choice to launch a predominantly dance/pop album!

Sometimes I wonder if My Heart Takes Over would have performed a bit better if they'd made the Rokstone Mix the main version? The production of it is more in keeping with some other 2011 hits... Don't Hold Your Breath by Nicole Scherzinger comes to mind!

+Quote this post
kye
post 22nd February 2020, 12:23 AM
Post #52
Group icon
• aesthetic party •

QUOTE(Jay ☆ @ Feb 21 2020, 11:45 PM) *
Sometimes I wonder if My Heart Takes Over would have performed a bit better if they'd made the Rokstone Mix the main version? The production of it is more in keeping with some other 2011 hits... Don't Hold Your Breath by Nicole Scherzinger comes to mind!

yes! the remix sounds like dhyb’s sister track - they’re incredibly similar.

This post has been edited by kye: 22nd February 2020, 12:23 AM

+Quote this post
Calum
post 22nd February 2020, 12:26 AM
Post #53
Group icon
nabad
User: 18,316

My Heart Takes Over deserved so much more cry.gif

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 22nd February 2020, 12:32 AM
Post #54
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

I dunno. A wintery ballad in Q4, to launch the album? I definitely see what they tried to do and honestly I'm just perplexed as to how it didn't happen for them? Although, weren't they rumoured to be on X Factor with it until they were shafted to Xtra Factor at the last minute? (Probs making that up but I'm 80% sure I read that somewhere aha)

Qlso I didnt realise ITIL spent that long in the top 200. Baffling tbh as I'm quite confident most of the GP wouldn't know how it goes aha. Also, it feels like (to me at least) the label were aiming for a higher/stronger launch (iirc there were calls of them being "flops" early in it's chart life - but this is more from posters like thisispop and Grimly et al so... laugh.gif). They were promoted everywhere at the time though (thankfully Up & Issues propelled them to further heights). I feel like a {8}-13-19-25-36-47-61-71R(6)-66-OUT (T75) for a major label girl group was a disappointing start. (Ofc it didnt matter in the end though)

(Obvz just my take on it laugh.gif tongue.gif )

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 22nd February 2020, 01:35 AM
Post #55
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

I do have a soft spot still for Missing You - I never rated the Saturdays particularly as a band but that track delivers something I couldn't see Girls Aloud doing which isn't something you could say for a lot of the Sats' songs. Production is a little dated now of course but I'm leaning towards it being the kinder 'of its time' than 'old hat'.

+Quote this post
-0-0
post 22nd February 2020, 02:49 AM
Post #56
Group icon
🙄
User: 10,643

The classic X factor promo then then deciding to use the Bieber pre recorderd performance and the sats cancelling xtra factor

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 22nd February 2020, 11:41 AM
Post #57
Group icon
Jord

This is just a random comment not so much about the rate but does anyone else feel when they finally got their #1 single they sort of just lost their spark a little. Like prior to that they had this real drive and hunger and some people called it desperate but they spent like 5 years was it pushing for that #1. They had the midweek number one twice (perhaps more) to lose out at the last minute by Flo Rida twice!!

When they eventually got that #1 though what come after that just wasn’t all that tbh. Disco Love was sort of passable but Gentleman and What Are You Waiting For we’re both bad.

I have to say If This Is Love is a bop! Underrated tbh. An odd choice for their debut single but it’s something what sounded different to me at the time at least and I actually don’t think it’s aged too much compared to some of their other stuff!

This post has been edited by Jordan Lee: 22nd February 2020, 11:44 AM

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 22nd February 2020, 12:36 PM
Post #58
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

QUOTE(Jay ☆ @ Feb 21 2020, 11:45 PM) *

Just heard this remix, it's actually stupendous!

Maybe they should have went with that?

+Quote this post
bpdbryan
post 22nd February 2020, 12:41 PM
Post #59
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 19,938

On You Radar deserved better in the charts tbh!

This post has been edited by Prettylittlebry: 22nd February 2020, 12:41 PM

+Quote this post
Cameron
post 22nd February 2020, 01:06 PM
Post #60
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*
User: 18,061

On your radar done really well first-week sales-wise did it not? In my head, I am thinking it done like 18k?

+Quote this post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 12:27 PM