BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Girls Aloud • Chemistry, 3rd album | 5th December 2005
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post 5th April 2021, 12:35 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

QUOTE(Chemistry @ Apr 3 2021, 05:51 PM) *
Looking back now, the singles campaign overall was a tad messy. Already starting with Long Hot Summer being their first single to miss the top 5, which was a real bummer as it was the lead single, and the total bizarre decision of releasing See The Day literally weeks after Biology. Who decided on that? Easily the most bland song on the album; there was no way this was going anywhere near Christmas #1 and if they really wanted a ballad to shift records during the Christmas rush, Whole Lotta History would have been more sense. Also not releasing Models, which screamed single release, while it was the theme tune for Off The Record was very interesting.

I'm not really sure what went wrong with 'Long Hot Summer', I personally love it but it wasn't well-received critically and even Xenomania themselves didn't like it; seems like it was only released as lead single as it had ties to a soundtrack which ended up falling through anyway. I think everyone would agree 'Biology' was an obvious lead, however I've just read it was recorded because of the reaction to 'Long Hot Summer', so even with hindsight you couldn't just release 'Biology' in its place.

That leaves us with the decision to release 'See the Day' four weeks after. It does seem strange but it was unavoidable really if they wanted a radio hit to sell the album. I hear your point about 'Whole Lotta History' but a ballad cover was still an easy way of getting radio play, it obviously worked previously with 'I'll Stand By You' and to be fair it worked with 'See the Day' given it peaked at #6 on the airplay chart! I think the album could have performed even worse without it and 'Whole Lotta History' ended up flopping on radio when it was released too, as well as barely resurrecting the album, which put a final nail in the coffin for the era.

It's a huge shame 'Chemistry' didn't do better and that 'Biology' was the only single to really represent the album. I understand the marketing strategy of releasing 'See the Day' and 'Whole Lotta History', but there were definitely some potentially daring single choices on this album. Even the album cover is very safe and would give you a totally different perception of the album content.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 6th April 2021, 01:55 AM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

Long hot summer was a huge disappointment at the time I just found it forgettable, I like it more now but as lead it didnt work.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 6th April 2021, 09:06 AM
Post #23
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

QUOTE(Feel_The_Fever @ Apr 4 2021, 03:15 PM) *
Did it miss the top 10 by much?

231 copies.

241,382 Eminem (1)
132,632 Robbie Williams (2)
124,647 Westlife (3)
111,666 Take That (4)
102,947 Madonna (5)
101,157 Il Divo (6)
94,946 James Blunt (7)
91,035 Sugababes (8)
83,980 Kelly Clarkson (9)
82,193 Pussycat Dolls (10)
81,962 Girls Aloud (11)

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 6th April 2021, 09:27 AM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Christmas 2005 sales were huge. 'Chemistry' sold ~70k in week 2 at #20 and ~99k in week 3 at #17 too.

+Quote this post
Chemistry
post 6th April 2021, 09:38 AM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 106,588

QUOTE(Liam.k. @ Apr 5 2021, 12:35 PM) *
I'm not really sure what went wrong with 'Long Hot Summer', I personally love it but it wasn't well-received critically and even Xenomania themselves didn't like it; seems like it was only released as lead single as it had ties to a soundtrack which ended up falling through anyway. I think everyone would agree 'Biology' was an obvious lead, however I've just read it was recorded because of the reaction to 'Long Hot Summer', so even with hindsight you couldn't just release 'Biology' in its place.

That leaves us with the decision to release 'See the Day' four weeks after. It does seem strange but it was unavoidable really if they wanted a radio hit to sell the album. I hear your point about 'Whole Lotta History' but a ballad cover was still an easy way of getting radio play, it obviously worked previously with 'I'll Stand By You' and to be fair it worked with 'See the Day' given it peaked at #6 on the airplay chart! I think the album could have performed even worse without it and 'Whole Lotta History' ended up flopping on radio when it was released too, as well as barely resurrecting the album, which put a final nail in the coffin for the era.

It's a huge shame 'Chemistry' didn't do better and that 'Biology' was the only single to really represent the album. I understand the marketing strategy of releasing 'See the Day' and 'Whole Lotta History', but there were definitely some potentially daring single choices on this album. Even the album cover is very safe and would give you a totally different perception of the album content.

Long Hot Summer is indeed a strange one, I have always liked it as well and seemed like the perfect end-of-summer release, combined with a fun video and campaign. It also was not THAT different compared to the stuff on WWTNS? either. I wonder which soundtrack it was supposed to be on.

And fair points about STD and WLH, I just remember WLH outpeaking STD (and personally thinking WLH is miles ahead in quality) but looking at their chart runs, STD did quite a bit better- spending two weeks in the top 10 even while WLH fell down the charts pretty fast. I also hadn't realised STD did so well on radio! It must have helped Chemistry a lot during the Xmas rush, seeing how well the album was selling as well. So I think I need to take my words back laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 6th April 2021, 11:52 AM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(Chemistry @ Apr 6 2021, 10:38 AM) *
Long Hot Summer is indeed a strange one, I have always liked it as well and seemed like the perfect end-of-summer release, combined with a fun video and campaign. It also was not THAT different compared to the stuff on WWTNS? either. I wonder which soundtrack it was supposed to be on.

And fair points about STD and WLH, I just remember WLH outpeaking STD (and personally thinking WLH is miles ahead in quality) but looking at their chart runs, STD did quite a bit better- spending two weeks in the top 10 even while WLH fell down the charts pretty fast. I also hadn't realised STD did so well on radio! It must have helped Chemistry a lot during the Xmas rush, seeing how well the album was selling as well. So I think I need to take my words back laugh.gif

It was meant to be on the soundtrack to 'Herbie: Fully Loaded' but was dropped from it for whatever reason. Not sure what it was about the song that didn't hit the mark for people as I agree with you that it should have had everything working in its favour.

I think in the ideal world, 'Whole Lotta History' would have been the Christmas single and either 'Models' or 'Wild Horses' for single #4 (I personally prefer 'Watch Me Go' and 'Waiting' but they're very Nadine-heavy), but from a 2005 marketing point of view I can understand the strategy they went with. Also, the video for 'See the Day' was recorded the day after 'Biology' and you can tell it was done on the cheap, so I don't think we would have had the Paris-shot video for 'Whole Lotta History' if it was single #3.

+Quote this post
Chemistry
post 6th April 2021, 12:31 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(Liam.k. @ Apr 6 2021, 11:52 AM) *
It was meant to be on the soundtrack to 'Herbie: Fully Loaded' but was dropped from it for whatever reason. Not sure what it was about the song that didn't hit the mark for people as I agree with you that it should have had everything working in its favour.

I think in the ideal world, 'Whole Lotta History' would have been the Christmas single and either 'Models' or 'Wild Horses' for single #4 (I personally prefer 'Watch Me Go' and 'Waiting' but they're very Nadine-heavy), but from a 2005 marketing point of view I can understand the strategy they went with. Also, the video for 'See the Day' was recorded the day after 'Biology' and you can tell it was done on the cheap, so I don't think we would have had the Paris-shot video for 'Whole Lotta History' if it was single #3.

Interesting.. especially considering You Freak Me Out was used in the Freaky Friday movie but not included on the soundtrack either. You almost start to feel Lindsay has some against the girls laugh.gif It would be quite surprising to see them on the Herbie soundtrack, given the fact the soundtrack is very US artists heavy and Lindsay's own song eventually became the soundtrack song. Wonder if they wanted to use them for a UK/European release only.

Yeah, looking back, See The Day was probably the right thing, also with them being able to make a cheap video and turn it into a profit. Very glad we got the gorgeous Parisian video for Whole Lotta History as well <3 Definitely the visual highlight of this era.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 6th April 2021, 01:01 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I love the 'Whole Lotta History' video too. It always makes me think of 'Off the Record' which shows them shooting - I particularly love Sarah saying something on the lines of "this deserves #1, Top 3 at least" and finding out it charted at #6! Very "B-list at Capital". laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Chemistry
post 6th April 2021, 01:09 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(Liam.k. @ Apr 6 2021, 01:01 PM) *
I love the 'Whole Lotta History' video too. It always makes me think of 'Off the Record' which shows them shooting - I particularly love Sarah saying something on the lines of "this deserves #1, Top 3 at least" and finding out it charted at #6! Very "B-list at Capital". laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Or Cheryl "I have no idea what they are saying" about the French crew they're working with.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 6th April 2021, 01:43 PM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(Tawdry Hepburn @ Apr 6 2021, 10:06 AM) *
231 copies.

241,382 Eminem (1)
132,632 Robbie Williams (2)
124,647 Westlife (3)
111,666 Take That (4)
102,947 Madonna (5)
101,157 Il Divo (6)
94,946 James Blunt (7)
91,035 Sugababes (8)
83,980 Kelly Clarkson (9)
82,193 Pussycat Dolls (10)
81,962 Girls Aloud (11)

That was annoyingly close, i miss the days of sales of this level at Christmas, nowadays the top 2 combined would barely sell what Girls Aloud managed,

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 6th April 2021, 03:26 PM
Post #31
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

I underrated this album for a few years at first, partly due to the messy singles campaign I think. I didn't give the album a whole load of time for no particular reason, but around the time of Ten, I really started to appreciate how GREAT an album Chemistry is - their second best for me!

It's weird, the singles campaign doesn't feel remotely representative of the album. Long Hot Summer was more lukewarm to me for a loooong time, and I always considered it one of their lesser singles, but I know I enjoyed it at the time and I truly love it now - it's aged like fine wine and has had a very hard time over the years! Biology is of course a masterpiece, I find it a *tad* overrated but by that, I mean it'd probably be in my top 15 Girls Aloud singles rather than top 3 laugh.gif so still very high praise. I get why See the Day was a thing and it paid off somewhat for them I guess but it's a shame they didn't feel confident in trying an original ballad for Christmas instead! I agree it's probably not worth sacrificing the gorgeous WLH video we got in the end though kink.gif speaking of WLH, it's a true gem for me, in their top 10 best! It's such a beauty and it gets soooo overlooked.

As for the album tracks, I agree with the consensus of Models, Swinging London Town and the 3 Ws of Wild Horses, Watch Me Go and Waiting being the highlights! Models strikes me as the missed single opportunity there. The final three album tracks are where the wheels come off a little but they're by no means bad. It's Magic and No Regrets are cute and Racy Lacey's a fun, energetic closer, but I wouldn't place any of those three above any song that came before.

Also: the Christmastry artwork is BEAUTIFUL! I wish the main cover was as inspired as that sad.gif

1 Whole Lotta History
2 Biology
3 Long Hot Summer
4 Swinging London Town
5 Watch Me Go
6 Models
7 Wild Horses
8 Waiting
9 See the Day
10 Racy Lacey
11 It's Magic
12 No Regrets

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 6th April 2021, 06:50 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Models was def the missed single opportunity in my opinion.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 6th April 2021, 08:00 PM
Post #33
Group icon
Break the tension

I was really pissed at the time when 'Whole Lotta History' was announced as the single instead of 'Models', but with hindsight I really would have preferred WLH being the Christmas single and 'Models' being the spring single with that same promo push.

This post has been edited by Tawdry Hepburn: 6th April 2021, 08:00 PM

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 6th April 2021, 08:27 PM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Whole lotta history i think in general is probably one of their most forgotten or unknown singles.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 22nd August 2021, 08:55 PM
Post #35
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

Long Hot Summer was released 16 years ago today! ohmy.gif It became their first single to miss the Top 5, an injustice x

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 23rd August 2021, 08:20 PM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

Such a shame it missed the top 5 I absolutely love it! However that is from listening to Chemistry again and again at the time it did pass me by a little so I can understand why it did miss the top 5 at the time.

Chemistry though is SUCH an album! wub.gif My favourite of the Girls Aloud albums but to this day I just do not understand why Models wasn't a single!!?!?!?

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 23rd August 2021, 08:29 PM
Post #37
Group icon
Break the tension

'Long Hot Summer' is a GA essential for me and so painfully underrated/underappreciated.

+Quote this post
GraffitiMySoul
post 4th December 2021, 10:43 AM
Post #38
Group icon
New Entry
User: 10,375

A bit random, but anyway. Does anyone have an album cover in VHQ?
I truly believe that it's their best album cover. Even though it looks rather simple, but girls are absolutely stunning on it. There's some magic in it's simplicity. I honestly think that it's iconic. wub.gif
I was thinking to print it and put it on the wall. rolleyes.gif

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 4th December 2021, 06:54 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(Tawdry Hepburn @ Aug 23 2021, 08:29 PM) *
'Long Hot Summer' is a GA essential for me and so painfully underrated/underappreciated.

I like it more now than I did then but it's not an essential GA song for me.

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 5th December 2021, 02:07 AM
Post #40
Group icon
---
User: 17,418

I’ve always liked Biology. It was the reintroduction to them for me. It was the first thing of there’s I’d heard since Sound Of The Underground.

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 28th April 2024, 04:30 PM