BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> MDNA ● 5 Year Anniversary
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post Apr 9 2017, 05:33 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

It's 5 years since the release of Madonna's 12th studio album, MDNA - the EDM influenced record that continues to divide fans and critics alike.

In December 2010, following almost three years of working on her film W.E., Madonna announced on her social media that she was ready to return to the studio and make music that would make her move, sweat and dance, calling out for "the maddest, sickest, most bad ass people to collaborate with". Of course, the sight of new Madonna music on the horizon is enough to make any fan ecstatic, but the suspicion she must be brimming with ideas after a three year musical break, particularly following the divorce from Guy Ritchie, brought the excitement up several notches. She then went on to sign a three-album deal with Interscope Records - fresh new eyes to oversee the creative and managing process of the album.

Throughout 2011, news and rumours of potential producers, writers and vocal collaborations began to circle: Jean-Baptiste, Nervo, Benny Benassi, Rihanna, Sia, Martin Solveig, Nicki Minaj and, the most exciting, William Orbit, who had been integral to the Ray of Light album. Alas, the Rihanna duet didn't seem to have any truth to it and the Sia-penned tracks were turned down, but it was confirmed that Madonna had indeed reunited with Orbit, more than a decade after their last musical collaboration. Speaking at the Golden Globes backstage, Madonna reflected that Orbit brought out her "introspective" and "thoughtful" side, helped by the fact they had worked together so intricately in the past that their writing process was so natural and comfortable - to the point they could "finish each other's sentences". Another key producer on the album was Martin Solveig who, despite only intending to work on one song, ended up with three tracks on the standard edition and a further three on the deluxe. Solveig, Madonna described, was the light to Orbit's dark, with his production being "fresh", "happy" and "puts a smile on your face".

By the end of the year, it had been revealed the album would be hitting stores in March and, in January 2012, Madonna announced on The Graham Norton Show that the album would be titled MDNA. It was applauded by fans who very quickly picked up on the wordplay: it's an abbreviation of Madonna, the DNA of Madonna and refers to the drug MDMA that produces "euphoric feelings of love". A "triple entendre", if you will. The album artwork, photographed by Mert & Marcus and directed by Giovanni Bianco, perpetuates the latter, with a prism-like effect dividing Madonna's figure/face (depending on the standard or deluxe version) giving a slightly hallucinatory vibe. It also gives the impression of a bassline which highlights the largely electronic-dance sound of the album.

MDNA explores a love for music, partying and feelings associated with drug taking, with contrasting themes of heartbreak and revenge also prevalent. Its pop-EDM style varies in mood, with some songs being happy and airy and others being more thumping and grittier. Upon release, reviews were generally positive, favouring the catchy pop hooks that felt much more in tune to Madonna's music than the Timbaland/Timberlake/Pharrell-infused R&B sound of Hard Candy. Others weren't so complimentary, criticising the album for its cliches, robotic vocals and direction. MDNA, as ever, was an immediate hit in the charts, debuting at #1 in many charts across the globe, notably selling an impressive 359k in the US on first week (although this was aided by fans being given the option to get the album as part of their ticket purchase for her tour). However, its chart performance worldwide headed south from here on, including a descent in sales of a record breaking 86.7% from #1 in the US. By the end of the era, MDNA had sold 2m copies - objectively, not a bad result, but much lower than Madonna was used to.

Bad single choices, no promotion or just being a poor quality album were listed as reasons for the underperformance. It tends to find itself ranking low or even bottom on Madonna's all-time albums lists, even if select tracks are held in great regard. As we mark 5 years since its release, what are people's thoughts on the album? Is the often harsh reception it gets deserved or unnecessary? How would you improve the album campaign? Do you have any particular favourites? What are you memories of the era?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Apr 9 2017, 05:34 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Idol

Here are some of the album rates from the first few weeks of release:

QUOTE(Johnkm @ Mar 19 2012, 11:51 PM) *
08 Girl Gone Wild
08 Gang Bang
10 I'm Addicted
09 Turn Up The Radio
07 Give Me Your Luvin'
07 Some Girls
06 I Don't Give A
08 I'm A Sinner
08 Love Spent
08 Masterpiece
09 Falling Free
09 I f***ed Up

So, the only track missing now is 'Superstar', I'm actually very surprised with it. I was expecting it to be crap, but for the most part it's actually really good. Gang Bang in particular is a big surprise, I expected to hate it.

QUOTE(☜★☞ @ Mar 20 2012, 12:13 AM) *
02 Girl Gone Wild
08 Gang Bang
08 I'm Addicted
11 Turn Up The Radio
08 Give Me Your Luvin'
08 Some Girls
?? Superstar
10 I Don't Give A
10 I'm A Sinner
10 Love Spent
03 Masterpiece
07 Falling Free

?? Beautiful Killer
09 I Fucked Up
?? B-Day Song
?? Best Friend

Excellent excellent pop album. The best thing anyone's released since Born This Way in fact. I'm actually ashamed I ever doubted her.

QUOTE(Johnkm @ Mar 20 2012, 10:55 AM) *
08 Girl Gone Wild
09 Gang Bang
10 I'm Addicted
09 Turn Up The Radio
07 Give Me Your Luvin'
07 Some Girls
07 Superstar
08 I Don't Give A
08 I'm A Sinner
09 Love Spent
08 Masterpiece
09 Falling Free
09 I f***ed Up
06 B-Day Song

RE-RATE already. I forgot how much FUN it is to be a Madonna loon around the time of a new album leaking *.*

QUOTE(Liаm @ Mar 22 2012, 07:42 PM) *
Been listening over the past couple of days, rate (no spoilers tongue.gif):

09 Girl Gone Wild
10 Gang Bang
08 I'm Addicted
07.5 Turn Up The Radio
07.5 Give Me Your Luvin'
07 Some Girls
06 Superstar
11 I Don't Give A
09 I'm A Sinner
10 Love Spent
10 Masterpiece
09.5 Falling Free

08 Beautiful Killer
08.5 I f***ed Up
04 B-Day Song
07 Best Friend

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Apr 9 2017, 05:35 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(☜★☞ @ Mar 23 2012, 12:18 AM) *
Not many people seem to have been listening to this on Buzzjack? Maybe next week there'll be more comments coming in when people buy the CD.

02 Girl Gone Wild
08 Gang Bang
08 I'm Addicted
11 Turn Up The Radio
08 Give Me Your Luvin'
08 Some Girls
07 Superstar
10 I Don't Give A
10 I'm A Sinner
10 Love Spent
02 Masterpiece
08 Falling Free

07 Beautiful Killer
09 I Fucked Up
05 B-Day Song
06 Best Friend

Seriously improves toward the end of the tracklist although I've given it a rejig in my iTunes, added I Fucked Up as the closing track and got rid of Girl Gone Wild and Masterpiece altogether.

QUOTE(CHЯIS @ Mar 23 2012, 01:19 AM) *
08 Girl Gone Wild
07 Gang Bang
05 I'm Addicted
02 Turn Up The Radio
10 Give Me Your Luvin'
07 Some Girls
02 Superstar
10 I Don't Give A
02 I'm A Sinner
07 Love Spent
08 Masterpiece
04 Falling Free

04 Beautiful Killer
01 I f***ed Up
01 B-Day Song
03 Best Friend

This is just after one listen. Its not great. I Don't Give A and Give Me All Your Luvin' are easily the best two for me, by FAR. Maybe the rest will grow after a few more listens.

QUOTE(slowdown73 @ Mar 24 2012, 12:42 PM) *
7 Girl gone wild
4 Gang Bang
6 I'm addicted
6 Turn up the radio
5 Give me all your luvin
4 Some girls
6 Superstar
5 I don't give a
7 I'm a sinner
6 Love spent
9 Masterpiece
9 Falling free
8 Beautiful killer
7 I f***ed up
5 Bday song
7 Best friend
6 Give me all your luvin (remix)

QUOTE(Air (____) @ Mar 25 2012, 10:32 AM) *
Bought the deluxe Friday. After a few listens:

08 Girl gone wild
07 Gang Bang
06 I'm addicted
07 Turn up the radio
06 Give me all your luvin
06 Some girls
06 Superstar
06 I don't give a
07 I'm a sinner
06 Love spent
08 Masterpiece
07 Falling free

06 Beautiful killer
06 I f***ed up
03 Bday song
06 Best friend
06 Give me all your luvin (remix)

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Apr 9 2017, 05:35 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(SweetCandy @ Mar 25 2012, 11:20 AM) *
I got the album yesterday in the post:
Bought the deluxe Friday. After a few listens:

07 Girl gone wild
10 Gang Bang
08 I'm addicted
02 Turn up the radio
07 Give me all your luvin
10 Some girls
09 Superstar
10 I don't give a
07 I'm a sinner
08 Love spent
08 Masterpiece
07 Falling free

10 Beautiful killer
10 f***ed up
06 Bday song
04 Best friend
08 Give me all your luvin (remix)

QUOTE(Aidan @ Mar 27 2012, 04:14 PM) *
07 Girl Gone Wild
09 Gang Bang
09 I'm Addicted
10 Turn Up The Radio
07 Give Me All Your Luvin'
09 Some Girls
11 Superstar
10 I Don't Give A
09 I'm A Sinner
10 Love Spent
08 Masterpiece
09 Falling Free
-
08 Beautiful Killer
08 I f***ed Up
03 B-Day Song
06 Best Friend

This is a pretty fantastic album, a HUGE improvement on Hard Candy. biggrin.gif 'Superstar' and 'I Don't Give A' are just amazing. wub.gif

QUOTE(Regina @ Mar 27 2012, 05:44 PM) *
10 Girl Gone Wild
10 Gang Bang
07 I'm Addicted
10 Turn Up The Radio
09 Give Me All Your Luvin'
08 Some Girls
11 Superstar
08 I Don't Give A
06 I'm A Sinner
08 Love Spent
10 Masterpiece
09 Falling Free
-
10 Beautiful Killer
07 I f***ed Up
-9 B-Day Song
05 Best Friend
09 Love Spent (Acoustic)

QUOTE(Liаm @ Mar 27 2012, 06:58 PM) *
Well it is by far the worst on the album, I shall agree with you on that tongue.gif

Updated rate:

08 Girl Gone Wild
10 Gang Bang
07.5 I'm Addicted
08 Turn Up The Radio
08 Give Me All Your Luvin'
07.5 Some Girls
07 Superstar
11 I Don't Give A
08 I'm A Sinner
10 Love Spent
10 Masterpiece
10 Falling Free
-
07.5 Beautiful Killer
09.5 I Fucked Up
03 B-Day Song
05 Best Friend
08 Love Spent (Acoustic)

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Apr 9 2017, 05:37 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Idol

Also, a nice little mash-up of the album:

+Quote Post
RosaParksMyCar
post Apr 9 2017, 05:45 PM
Post #6
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
Group: Members
Member No.: 16,548
   No Gallery Pics

Her joint worst with Hard Candy. Just cheap basic trash.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Apr 9 2017, 05:49 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(RosaParksMyCar @ Apr 9 2017, 06:45 PM) *
Her joint worst with Hard Candy. Just cheap basic trash.

I unashamedly like Hard Candy and, despite being bottom of the heap for so many years, I've found that MDNA is actually pretty GOOD when you cut out the crap! ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Regina
post Apr 9 2017, 05:54 PM
Post #8
Raining Shitter
Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,572

Remains today her 3rd best album for me kink.gif after American Life and Hard Candy. Sorry not sorry.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Apr 9 2017, 05:57 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(Regina @ Apr 9 2017, 06:54 PM) *
Remains today her 3rd best album for me kink.gif after American Life and Hard Candy. Sorry not sorry.

Ever the supporter of the underdog! biggrin.gif No-one can deny such support for American Life though.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Apr 11 2017, 09:05 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Idol

I've really come to love this album this past month, at least now that I've cut the crap and re-ordered the tracking list slightly. To be honest, there wasn't actually much that needed to be tweaked, yet it made such a huge difference. I can now enjoy each song without them being tainted by particular songs surrounding them and I can now be taken on a journey with the album: she goes from "f*** everything, I'm free to do what I want now I'm divorced" mode to hitting a point of realisation and reflection, concluding that, truthfully, it's incredibly sad that she's now lost something once so great.

'I'm Addicted' is my top favourite on the album and I'd go as far as to say it's one of my all-time Madonna faves. Even though it wasn't produced by him, it has some great, Orbit-inspired electronic wizardry going on and it's such an intense listen - it's like a 2012 version of the song 'Ray of Light'. 'Gang Bang' is genius; she's realised the power and anger in dubstep and has used that to make an aggressive, Quentin Tarantino inspired thriller of a song. 'I'm a Sinner' has been the biggest grower - it's like several songs in one but it works so well, with the "ride the magic bus" and the Saint name-check verses being the best moments. I've now decided it would have been a great single, right after the lead of 'I'm Addicted'.

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Apr 15 2017, 09:05 PM
Post #11
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,007

OK gonna say it, I actually really enjoy this and in terms of last.fm it's one of my most played album from her :') If i was to consider it as a whole piece, it's a pretty annoying FULL listen but it has so many incredible single moments throughout that I play on repeat which have racked up a huge total for it.

I'm Addicted, Girl Gone Wild, Gang Bang, GMAYL, Love Spent, Beautiful Killer & Best Friend I ADORE, then there are a fair few I enjoy and then finally the utter CRAP in B'day Song which could be her worst ever song.

So all in all A MIXED BAG but I actually enjoy it and it's the party pop tunes that I need before a night out so i'll always return to it *.*

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Apr 18 2017, 09:29 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(HausofIRNBRU @ Apr 15 2017, 10:05 PM) *
I'm Addicted, Girl Gone Wild, Gang Bang, GMAYL, Love Spent, Beautiful Killer & Best Friend I ADORE, then there are a fair few I enjoy and then finally the utter CRAP in B'day Song which could be her worst ever song.

Yes for the 'Best Friend' love! I've said before but having this as one of the closing tracks gives the album some direction - we start the album with a revenge-filled, wild Madonna until the dust settles and she's left in a reflective state. She knows she's made the right decision, but it doesn't stop the hurt and the knowledge that something once so good has come to an end. One of my favourites for sure.

+Quote Post
vibe
post Apr 20 2017, 07:05 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

I live best friend too
It's also my mums fav song on the album.

+Quote Post
Regina
post Apr 20 2017, 07:08 PM
Post #14
Raining Shitter
Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,572

QUOTE(HausofIRNBRU @ Apr 15 2017, 10:05 PM) *
OK gonna say it, I actually really enjoy this and in terms of last.fm it's one of my most played album from her :') If i was to consider it as a whole piece, it's a pretty annoying FULL listen but it has so many incredible single moments throughout that I play on repeat which have racked up a huge total for it.

So all in all A MIXED BAG but I actually enjoy it and it's the party pop tunes that I need before a night out so i'll always return to it *.*

Autotone Baby tho.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Apr 20 2017, 07:29 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Idol

'Autotune Baby' is definitely her worst, without a doubt. 'B-Day Song' is pretty bad but I can enjoy that ironically (I always play it on my birthday! laugh.gif).

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:31 PM