BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 10 Years of 'Blackout' •, Track by Track • Day by Day
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Tafty³³³
post Oct 19 2017, 01:50 AM
Post #1
I found the love, I found the love in me
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 5,042

10 Years Since 'Blackout' was Released.

That's right. It's almost been a Decade since the album of a generation was birthed. So I thought, lets celebrate it and as members of the forum, lets delve deeper into the album that's shaped her legacy and has often been said to be one of the defining pop albums of all time.

It came at the darkest time of her career, but she delievered an iconic album.

The single 'Gimme More' & 'Piece Of Me' have gone on to be huge fan favourites, with 'Break The Ice' gaining a huge cult-like following.

So join us as we review each track off the album (2 tracks a day - leading us to the anniversary) in this thread! This thread is designed for everyone to give their own opinions on the songs, not just the mods, so please feel free to tell us what you think about each track after we have posted! biggrin.gif Lets celebrate the 10th anniversary of arguably the best album of her (or anyone elses) career.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Oct 19 2017, 02:01 AM
Post #2

GIMME MORE [Single 1]

Gimme More ended up giving us the iconic catchphrase "IT'S BRITNEY BITCH!" And ended up solidifying her as one of the greatest pop icons of all time. Not only that, but 'Gimme More' was a massive club smash and ended up becoming one of her signature hits. It was a classic Britney style reinvention. We were not ready for the dark and grungy Urban path that she gave us, but my GOD are we happy she did! As soon as that opening line starts and moves into that dirty bassline, you are immediately hooked in. Not only does Danja give us that iconic opening, but he also gives us an epic ending as he refers to Britney as "The Legendary Ms. Britney Spears" and he's most certainly not wrong.

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Oct 19 2017, 02:11 AM
Post #3

PIECE OF ME [Single 2]

Track 2, coincidentally, became the 2nd single. 'Piece Of Me' always stood out to me as the immediate highlight off the album and made the most sense to be the next single after 'Gimme More'. It was quite clearly made to be the big, commercial hit from the album as it felt a lot poppier and a lot more commericially accessible, I felt. It went on to be an absolute monster of a hit, not that GM wasn't, but this definitely felt like the bigger hit of the two at the time. The production, although a bit "lighter" didn't really feel out of place amongst the grittier and edgier Urban leaning songs, which is quite a feat in itself imo. It made the album feel just as cohesive with it, as it would have done wirhout it. It is a bit of an erratic production, with what can only be described as glass shattering, making up most of the song. This is definitely one of the more "fun" tracks on the album as it takes aim at the paparazzi, who clearly wanted a piece if her after her very high profile, public breakdown earlier that year! Moral of this story, basically don't f*** with Britney.

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Oct 19 2017, 10:33 AM
Post #4
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

I can't believe it's been 10 years already! cry.gif The excitement I felt when this album came out was immense, given how long it'd been since In the Zone. And what an album Blackout is! wub.gif Most definitely my favourite Britney album. It's so interesting and immersive, and still sounds fresh/exciting after all this time, imo. A pop classic for sure.

The first two singles were wise choices. Love the iconic lines in Gimme More, and absolutely one of her best moments. Piece of Me's lyrics taking aim at the media are really clever/catchy - such a fun track. heart.gif

This is all in rather stark contrast to how awful her personal life was at the time - that's one element of that era I certainly don't miss. I really feared for her. sad.gif

Really looking forward to the rest of the thread!

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Oct 19 2017, 04:25 PM
Post #5
If people hate you, don’t hate them.
Group: Members
Member No.: 67

I cannot this album was such a positive force for me. It was my COMING OUT album in rural Georgia. The unapologetic nature of such a passive and sweet woman finally saying f*** y’all! This is me.

It’s Britney Bitch. Deal with it. I’m gay. So what, you want a piece of me? This album was the cement to the sentiment that Britney truly saved my life... by simply persevering and dominating in a dog eat dog world designed to tear her apart. Also, the album could be released next year and it would still sound experimental af.

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Oct 19 2017, 04:26 PM
Post #6

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Oct 19 2017, 04:50 PM
Post #7

ALSO THE INSTRUMENTAL FOR GIMME MORE REMAINS THE BEST INSTRUMENTAL OF ALL TIME.

AND IT BEING A STAPLE SONG ON GRAND THEFT AUTO. ICONIC.

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Oct 19 2017, 10:06 PM
Post #8

RADAR

'Radar' was the next track on the album and was heavily rumoured to be the 4th and final single from the album, before the label decided to scrap that idea and record a new album altogether, ready for release by Q4 in 2008. Instant impressions seemed to be, that the fans desperately wanted this to be a single and it wasn't hard to see why. Amongst the 'Blackout' album it's absolutely fantastic and such an ear worm. But the label scrapped plans of this being a single in favour of the 'Circus' project and ended up having a messy legal fight with Bloodshy & Avant who were promised that it would be a single. So to compromise, it was added as a bonus track onto 'Circus' (where it felt really out of place) and was eventually released as the 4th single of that era instead. But this is a celebration of the 'Blackout' album and 'Radar' is such a fantastic song amongst that album.

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Oct 19 2017, 10:21 PM
Post #9

BREAK THE ICE [Single 3]

Track 4 gives us 'Break The Ice'. A song in which people either seem to rate as one of her worst singles, or one of her absolute best tracks! The song was never an initial highlight for me and I'd have probably ranked it about half way down the album upon first impressions, it wasn't until it was made a single in which it really hit hard for me. The intro is one of the most iconic lines & intros in any Britney song ever. "It's been a while. I know I shouldn't have kept you waiting. But I'm here now." before smashing into pulsating, synths! Over the years it seems to have found a bit of a cult following on the internet, that seems to be getting bigger and bigger as the years go on. When it was announced as the 3rd single, I remember people were outraged that they weren't getting 'Radar' or 'Toy Soldier', so I can only think it had the same effect on people as it did with me (not hitting them until it was made a single etc...) but one things for sure, this is well inside my top 5 of the album now. Such a fantastic, hook driven song.

+Quote Post
Seinfeld
post Oct 19 2017, 10:53 PM
Post #10
Is anyone here a marine biologist?
Member No.: 10,505
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Tyler @ Oct 19 2017, 05:25 PM) *
I cannot this album was such a positive force for me. It was my COMING OUT album in rural Georgia. The unapologetic nature of such a passive and sweet woman finally saying f*** y’all! This is me.

It’s Britney Bitch. Deal with it. I’m gay. So what, you want a piece of me? This album was the cement to the sentiment that Britney truly saved my life... by simply persevering and dominating in a dog eat dog world designed to tear her apart. Also, the album could be released next year and it would still sound experimental af.

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Oct 19 2017, 11:19 PM
Post #11

Aw, I had almost forgot that Seinfeld existed.

So close.

+Quote Post
Seinfeld
post Oct 20 2017, 01:25 AM
Post #12
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Tyler @ Oct 20 2017, 12:19 AM) *
Aw, I had almost forgot that Seinfeld existed.

So close.

I'm surprised you don't like Seinfeld! ohmy.gif sad.gif

You normally have good taste... biggrin.gif wink.gif

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Oct 20 2017, 03:28 AM
Post #13

Lmao I’m just kidding. The f***ing music pisses me off but it’s a good show.

+Quote Post
Seinfeld
post Oct 20 2017, 10:47 AM
Post #14
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Tyler @ Oct 20 2017, 04:28 AM) *
Lmao I’m just kidding. The f***ing music pisses me off but it’s a good show.

Good lad. cool.gif

The music can be annoying at times but it doesn't bother me too much. Seinfeld is so bloody brilliant, it doesn't really matter in all honesty. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Theonix
post Oct 20 2017, 11:36 AM
Post #15
BUY Phoenix on Amazon / STREAM Phoenix on Spotify
Member No.: 8,661

I think "Piece of Me" was the moment that I became a die hard Britney fan, which lasted until ~ "Work Bitch". Such an iconic song and video and a theme that really hit close to home after what she'd been through in 2007. I prefer "Gimme More" now but for some years that was my favourite Britney song and amongst my all time favourite songs.

I didn't heard the 'Blackout' album until after 'Circus' was released so never really got "Radar", and let's not discuss that video. I don't go back to it at all or "Break the Ice" but I do enjoy that still.

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Oct 20 2017, 11:52 PM
Post #16

HEAVEN ON EARTH

Up next is the ultra smooth, ultra sexy and ultra classy, 'Heaven On Earth'. I always see it as the sister to 'Breathe On Me' in the fact that it has dreamy production and airy vocals! I'm not really sure where the fans stand with it tbh, I think on any normal album, it'd be considered a huge highlight, but on an album as strong as 'Blackout' I feel like it gets lost amongst the singles and certain other highlights on the album ('Toy Soldier', 'Get Naked', 'Hot As Ice' etc..) but I find myself really loving this a lot whenever I listen to it. The production is stunning and the vocal editing is lush.the only issue I have is the way it ends.. it seems really random and feels like it should mix into the next track, but doesn't laugh.gif Gorgeous song though, that I feel deserves more love.

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Oct 21 2017, 12:03 AM
Post #17

GET NAKED (I GOT A PLAN)

'Get Naked (I Got A Plan)' is the next track up and is one of the more unique tracks on the album. The thing I find the most thrilling on here, is the production. Danja really has a way of utilising Britney's vocals with grungy, dirty beats and getting them to work perfectly! However, the thing that makes this stand out the most on the album, is Danja's guest vocals on not only background vocals throughout, but he takes the lead on the chorus and he really adds to the track! One other notable thing is Britney's ad-libs on the bridge! So much passion in her delivery. Everything about this track is phenomenally well executed I feel! Definitely one of the hughest moments on this ground breaking album!

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Oct 21 2017, 12:07 AM
Post #18

HOE is such an important piece to the album. It’s mellow and euphoric production along with her cooed vocals let you appreciate the true grit of the overall album. It’s probably one of my lesser faves on the piece and it’s still a solid 10/10 in my book.

+Quote Post
Slick
post Oct 21 2017, 11:20 PM
Post #19
electric butterflies
Member No.: 70
   No Gallery Pics

An iconic electropop album which changed the landscape of pop. Truly visionary.

(#stan)

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Oct 22 2017, 07:41 AM
Post #20

FREAKSHOW

Track 7 and we see the funnest track on the album, 'Freakshow'. This track is the one in which you can tell Brit had a lot of fun recording! So fun that it's gone down as one of the highlights (if not THE highlight) of her Piece Of Me setlist in Las Vegas. It sees a member of the audience get called up on stage for a bit of fun and Brit commands them around on stage, like a sex slave of sorts. Not only is it one of the more fun numbers on the album, but it's one of the more interesting tracks in general. I still feel like this is one of the most unique tracks I've heard in a while. The wobbly bassline is what really stands out in the production and the verses are so slick! I'm not sure if it'd have been a hit if it was released as a single, but it would've been a really interesting choice!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:09 AM