BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ...Baby One More Time • Debut Single - 20th Anniversary, 23rd October 1998 - 20 years of the iconic hit!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
-Jay-
post Aug 12 2018, 05:06 AM
Post #1
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

With '...Baby One More Time' fast approaching its 20th anniversary, the Guardian published an article on the making of this iconic song, including quotes from Britney herself!

~

‘It was a bit of a blur’: Britney Spears on the making of ...Baby One More Time
by Michael Cragg

As the smash hit that changed the musical landscape turns 20, Britney, along with her collaborators, discuss the creation of a pop masterpiece

DUN DUN DUN. “Oh baby, baby ... ”. In just three seconds ...Baby One More Time, which turns 20 this year, announced the arrival of a new superstar: the then 16-year-old ex-Mouseketeer from Kentwood, Louisiana, Britney Jean Spears. Along with its equally iconic high school-set music video it re-turfed pop, kickstarting an entire sound (think funk-tinged R&B grooves mixed with Abba melodies), sweeping aside the dregs of grunge (sorry, Bush) and US heartland rock (bye, Hootie & the Blowfish), revitalising pop radio and MTV in the process, before cementing its songwriter and co-producer Max Martin as one of modern music’s most influential exponents. In the space of just three minutes and 31 seconds, Spears launched millennial teen pop, fusing family-friendly, girl-next-door fun with good old fashioned controversy, forging a template for those who followed.

Without it, there would by no Christina Aguilera, no Katy Perry, no Charli XCX; Taylor Swift would probably still be singing country songs, and Eminem – who arrived in 1999 – would not have had as much to rail against. Released in the wake of Alanis Morissette’s hugely successful 1995 album Jagged Little Pill and its litany of imitators, it presented a different angle to the prevalent idea of female angst; this was gloriously OTT teen girl longing, encapsulated by a lyric – “My loneliness is killing me” – that feels depressingly evergreen. “The whole song is about that stress that we all go through as teens,” Spears tells me. “I knew it was a great song. It was different and I loved it, [but] I don’t think you can anticipate how a song is going to be received.”

Read the rest of the article here: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/aug/...y-one-more-time
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
spiceboy
post Aug 13 2018, 07:27 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 39,568
   No Gallery Pics

It is a total classic and one of those rare debuts that kicks off a phenomenon! wub.gif

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Oct 23 2018, 08:17 AM
Post #3

Today’s date marks 20 years since the ‘...Baby One More Time’ single was released in the US! Two decades of an iconic song, and a legendary artist. wub.gif

+Quote Post
Addy!
post Oct 23 2018, 04:58 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 2,666

wub.gif I still listen to it and feel the same as when I listened to it for the first time wub.gif

Such an iconic song!!

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Oct 23 2018, 08:23 PM
Post #5

+Quote Post
post Oct 23 2018, 08:27 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Members
Member No.: 19,931

A song! A moment in time!

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Oct 24 2018, 12:13 AM
Post #7
I found the love, I found the love in me
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 5,042

It's crazy just how 90's it is but how it also feels fresh and great it still sounds. wub.gif

Still the greatest pop debut in my eyes. heart.gif

+Quote Post
Danny89
post Oct 26 2018, 07:18 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 47,347
   No Gallery Pics

I'll never forget the first time watching the video on The Box music channel, in the days you needed to call to request videos. It seemed to be on that channel every 30 minutes. It must be one of the most requested video ever, there was so much hype before it's release, which resulted into that MAMMOTH first week sale.

+Quote Post
Nick Jonas
post Oct 27 2018, 09:33 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 9,481
   No Gallery Pics

Just performed on TXF ❤️

+Quote Post
ThePensmith
post Feb 15 2019, 07:24 PM
Post #10
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

20th anniversary of its UK release today! Crazy to think how much time has passed since then!

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Feb 16 2019, 10:27 AM
Post #11

Completely iconic wub.gif Still sounds incredible. Can’t quite believe it’s been 20 years since becoming a Britney fan! heart.gif

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Feb 16 2019, 10:42 AM
Post #12
Break the tension
Member No.: 51

Aaaargh, I feel so old.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:51 AM