BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> English local elections 2020/21, Currently due 6 May
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Long Dong Silver
post 6th May 2021, 05:33 PM
Post #21
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

Ahh so that's what the council in Vicar of Dibley was! I thought it was a religious council for the church!!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 6th May 2021, 05:53 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,030

Voted. I split my votes between Labour/Green party.

London Mayor - first choice: Sadiq Khan (Labour), second choice: Sian Berry (Green)
London Assembly (north east) Member - Caroline Russell (Green)
Assembly Member (London-wide) - Labour Party
St Peter's Ward by-election - Veronica Pasteur (Green Party)

Hopefully Labour and the Green party can increase their share of votes in London in these elections.

+Quote this post
Smint
post 6th May 2021, 05:56 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 124,514

In Bristol so vote Green for everything I can as they do really well here. Think I get 4 votes

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 6th May 2021, 06:05 PM
Post #24
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

I voted Green 1st, Labour (begrudgingly) 2nd for Mayor, Animal Welfare for London Assembly and Green for Assembly member. I'm not clued up on any of these, so just went with causes I'm passionate for and Tory alternatives!

I am willing Binface to finish ahead of Laurence Fox though xx

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 6th May 2021, 07:02 PM
Post #25
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ May 6 2021, 05:13 PM) *
Parish councils are a lot smaller, covering a town or even a village, and have very limited powers. Most areas don't have one.

Other councils (in England) can be county councils, district councils or unitary councils. In the past, most places had both a district council (covering, typically, a town or city and the surrounding area) and a county council (guess what that covered?). Successive governments have decided that we have far too many elected representatives (even though we have fewer relative to population than any other western democracy) and have gradually moved towards unitary authorities. That means that people may have to travel significant distances to get to their "local" town hall even in relatively densely populated areas and that planning applications can be determined by people who have never been anywhere near the relevant site.

Thanks SH!

+Quote this post
Smint
post 6th May 2021, 09:40 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Results are going to be very slow with the inevitable Hartlepool loss first. Hope better news follows over next few days, hoping for strong performances for Greens, Khan to hold off the very unpleasant campaign against him in London and the overall Tory vote share to be not much over 40%.

This post has been edited by Smint: 6th May 2021, 09:42 PM

+Quote this post
Smint
post 6th May 2021, 11:54 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Results for locals coming in mainly in the North. Huge up surge in Tory vote mainly against a vanished UKIP vote. Expect large number of council seats turning blue.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 6th May 2021, 11:59 PM
Post #28
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

One party state. The UK hasfallen to the Tory landed gentŕy elite once again. The 1800s are back.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 7th May 2021, 12:15 AM
Post #29
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

No surprise as it’s a follow up from the 2019 GE and UKIP aren’t there so their votes fall into the Tory lap.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 7th May 2021, 12:19 AM
Post #30
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

Good to see Andy Burnham heading for a landslide anyway. Can see him and Khan in a future Labour cabinet in the 2030s

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 7th May 2021, 02:09 AM
Post #31
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

QUOTE(steve201 @ May 7 2021, 12:15 AM) *
No surprise as it’s a follow up from the 2019 GE and UKIP aren’t there so their votes fall into the Tory lap.

It's a long time in politics from the 2019 GE. Also consider that all the analysis constantly assuming that UKIP = Tory has probably made it more likely because those voters weren't Tory originally - assuming politics works on a straight left-right line is death to good analysis. Meanwhile, Labour hasn't done anything to give people reasons to vote for them. Pretty bad for the strategy of 'look competent and not the other guy', because apparently voting Tory councillors means your area now gets more attention from the one-party actually in charge of government.

Anyway, loads of Conservative gains across the North-East. Hartlepool almost certainly lost. Results could actually indicate up to 50% Tory support.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 7th May 2021, 04:27 AM
Post #32
Group icon

Tbh, the overnight results have been mainly from two areas, the North-East and Essex, where I expected the most Tory gains if anything, already trending that way, reliant on industry, likely to be agitated with parties sitting still, lacking diversity, wanted Brexit, haven't yet felt the long-term effects of it.

Also highly likely to have been high postal votes and higher old-young turnout than before because of vaccinations. Therefore probably very favourable to the Tories with even the big stories about corruption too late to impact. Going to hurt though, fewer Labour councils able to show off what they can do that's better.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 7th May 2021, 07:49 AM
Post #33
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

It has been a long time since 2019 but the past 14 months has been dominated by Covid therefor the rest of the narrative has stuck since then.

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 7th May 2021, 08:03 AM
Post #34
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel
User: 118

I'm suspecting my Council (Nottinghamshire) to become significantly more conservative than it is now. At the moment it's reliant on independents who are essentially conservatives to assume control but fully expecting some further gains in Gedling and Bassetlaw. The abysmal performance of the Labour administration at the City Council in recent years won't help.

This post has been edited by RabbitFurCoat: 7th May 2021, 08:04 AM

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 7th May 2021, 08:12 AM
Post #35
Group icon

QUOTE(steve201 @ May 7 2021, 07:49 AM) *
It has been a long time since 2019 but the past 14 months has been dominated by Covid therefor the rest of the narrative has stuck since then.

Well, the Labour rhetoric has been clear, especially in the months when Covid wasn't as dominant (summer-October), "we aren't the Labour of 2019, the left and enthusiasm can go screw themselves, what we are, who knows, but maybe we aren't the others if you squint hard enough?" There's been attempts to reverse the decline, but they were completely the wrong attempts to do well in these elections, which are low turnout.

I started compiling an Excel spreadsheet, starting with Sunderland as their council results were all available. From the overall results, and keeping in mind that locals have different priorities, of the 3 Labour seats that Sunderland has, one (Central) would be lost to the Tories on these results. Also, the general vote numbers is about half of an average general, so turnout probably around... 30%(?)

Also what's interesting in Central is that in some seats there was an entirely Lib Dem gain, there providing the anti-Labour vote, but that is most likely down to an individual council campaign. Same with a few Green (+58.1)-likes I've seen around the place.

+Quote this post
Smint
post 7th May 2021, 08:56 AM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(steve201 @ May 7 2021, 01:19 AM) *
Good to see Andy Burnham heading for a landslide anyway. Can see him and Khan in a future Labour cabinet in the 2030s

Where do you find the Andy Burnham news? Has Manchester declared yet or is it just word on the ground?

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 7th May 2021, 09:38 AM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

QUOTE(Iz 💀 @ May 7 2021, 09:12 AM) *
Well, the Labour rhetoric has been clear, especially in the months when Covid wasn't as dominant (summer-October), "we aren't the Labour of 2019, the left and enthusiasm can go screw themselves, what we are, who knows, but maybe we aren't the others if you squint hard enough?" There's been attempts to reverse the decline, but they were completely the wrong attempts to do well in these elections, which are low turnout.

I started compiling an Excel spreadsheet, starting with Sunderland as their council results were all available. From the overall results, and keeping in mind that locals have different priorities, of the 3 Labour seats that Sunderland has, one (Central) would be lost to the Tories on these results. Also, the general vote numbers is about half of an average general, so turnout probably around... 30%(?)

Also what's interesting in Central is that in some seats there was an entirely Lib Dem gain, there providing the anti-Labour vote, but that is most likely down to an individual council campaign. Same with a few Green (+58.1)-likes I've seen around the place.

Before Covid, the Lib Dems had picked up counciol seats in Sunderland in byelections so this is just a continuation.

QUOTE(Smint @ May 7 2021, 09:56 AM) *
Where do you find the Andy Burnham news? Has Manchester declared yet or is it just word on the ground?

So far, it is just rumour but I haven't seen any attempt to contradict it. I thought several months ago that he was likely to win without the need for second preference votes to be counted.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 7th May 2021, 01:47 PM
Post #38
Group icon
Shakin Stevens

Good gain for the LDs from the Tory party in Cambridge!

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 7th May 2021, 01:53 PM
Post #39
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel
User: 118

QUOTE(RabbitFurCoat @ May 7 2021, 09:03 AM) *
I'm suspecting my Council (Nottinghamshire) to become significantly more conservative than it is now. At the moment it's reliant on independents who are essentially conservatives to assume control but fully expecting some further gains in Gedling and Bassetlaw. The abysmal performance of the Labour administration at the City Council in recent years won't help.

Almost exactly as predicted, though not quite in the districts - only one change in Gedling in an already tightly contested seat whilst Conservative take Mansfield where they fielded far fewer candidates last time, Ben Bradley now MP and councillor.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 7th May 2021, 02:02 PM
Post #40
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed

QUOTE(steve201 @ May 7 2021, 02:47 PM) *
Good gain for the LDs from the Tory party in Cambridge!

Yes!!

Labour REAAAALLY shouldn't have purged the left or withdrawn the whip from Corbyn. Oops, neoliberal Starmer! You weren't getting any Tories doing that and were only ever going to alienate your core

+Quote this post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 02:33 PM